Best Breakfast Gruel [chat]

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Anyone remember the California Raisins

all i know was that they were a giant failure, marketing-wise

They released 7 albums. They had a single on the Billboard Hot 100. They had a TV show. They won an Emmy!

The only failure was that the cost of success was literally twice as much as California raisin producers made in increased profits.

That...that last part's pretty important.

everything went well except this one thing though

The thing that they were designed to do, naturally

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    Twitter delenda est
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'm watching some old true crime show about a girl who was abducted, and the voiceover says "helicopters were called to aid in the search" and it cut to an AH-1 Cobra with a full rocket loadout.

nibXTE7.png
    ronyashrykeDoodmannChanusYoshisummons
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Some weird shit I never heard of from, like, Slovakia
    the idea of salt mines always seemed so crazy to me before I realized that drying seawater to make like, hundreds of tons of salt, would be a real massive pain in the ass too and maybe it honestly isn't that much harder to just dig out chunks of it from a mountain

it's still kind of weird though

It also really depends on where you live. Growing up near the ocean, sure, rock salt seems dumb. Growing up in middle of a continental mass, rock salt is kind super important.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
    Abdhyius
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know Texas booniesRegistered User regular

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin most days
    cB557matt has a problemWinkyChanus
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know Texas booniesRegistered User regular
    Welp, that'll do it. Congrats, LSU.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin most days
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    Brody wrote: »
    the idea of salt mines always seemed so crazy to me before I realized that drying seawater to make like, hundreds of tons of salt, would be a real massive pain in the ass too and maybe it honestly isn't that much harder to just dig out chunks of it from a mountain

It also really depends on where you live. Growing up near the ocean, sure, rock salt seems dumb. Growing up in middle of a continental mass, rock salt is kind super important.
    Brody wrote: »

that too

but also like, scale

I mean, I think like well just dry it, but now I'm thinking in terms of a pot, would be big salt pans wouldn't it, and scraping that together ain't trivial, and really I guess my main business devolves quickly into moving piles of salt around on wheelbarrows, whether I've got a mine or salt pans

(although there's loads of different methods of course)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Ok the spam was some grade-A word salad tonight. The ones lately seem like they actually had the hang of translation.

nibXTE7.png

Wait, didn't he blow up like, that baseball's entire extended family in those baskets?

nibXTE7.png
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited January 14
    Edit: realized that this post was a mistake

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    Twitter delenda est
    Heh, lep tit ox

nibXTE7.png
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Due to my recent and nearly crippling Solitairica binge, I've started idly plotting out a game based on factoring polynomials. Some main ideas based on this incredibly garish mockup (just to mess around with potential layouts):

qpozwliiu7ty.jpg

1. the "enemies" either are or produce polynomials into the target (4)
    2. sliding stuff up the three "attack" paths (2) performs the corresponding operation on the target (4): addition, subtraction, and division
    -- division attacks can fail, the others cost resource
    3. you draw cards into your hand (1) and can either
    -- slide them directly up an attack path (2)
    -- drag them through an operation into the bay (3), where they perform the operation on whatever is stored in the bay
    4. you can drag whatever you have stored in the bay (3) up an attack path
    5. when you've reduced the target as much as you can, you can clear it by swiping it off the screen
    -- this will either generate or cost resource based on how much is left
    nywy5geijigx.jpg

The blue bits are potential popup menu locations for items/abilities/menus, health etc. go on the left.

I'm thinking maybe each level can have additional polynomials pile up, and there could be multiple storage bays so that you can plan ahead.

Now to never actually get around to coding any of it.

@Feral @21stCentury @Arch

icon.png facebookIcon.png tumblrIcon.png
    is this how nations are born
    Evil MultifariousHonkArch21stCenturyBrodyFeral
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Different salts taste different, yes. Also texture and sodium density.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud my moons are good moons Registered User regular
    Grits
    @Casual Eddy

1) I can't believe you jumped from publishing to programming. I wish I could do that.

2) You didn't say the name of the webcomic but I read all of Green + Gold and now I want more.

3) I'm reading a webcomic about gay birdmen on that same site....

wanderingCasual Eddy
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    At about 730pm today porp decided that we should paint the kids bathroom while we binge watch parks and rec

so that was my monday

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    DoodmannChanusMazzyxBrody
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Oatmeal (rolled oats)
    You married a Leslie what did you expect

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    HappylilElf
    Your Monday started at 7:30 PM?

nibXTE7.png
    Brody
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Registered User regular
    Pulped newsprint
    Mawwage

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    Tcheldor
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    I shall now try a radical experiment and sleep for a whopping seven hours tonight.

...and this shows where April started rampaging and I kicked her out of the bedroom and closed the door.

e4hvf2ywrxh4.png

Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    Chanus
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    life is now good

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudwanderingSir LandsharkIncenjucarChanus
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Your Monday started at 7:30 PM?

well i worked before that but thats routine

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Recently I learned that repetitive stress injury to the facial muscles from fake-smiling too much on the job is a real thing

Jeez, really? Bodies are garbage.

On a larger (small?) scale, repetitive stress injuries are the inevitable cause of all death. Stupid RNA transcription errors.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Recently I learned that repetitive stress injury to the facial muscles from fake-smiling too much on the job is a real thing

Jeez, really? Bodies are garbage.

On a larger (small?) scale, repetitive stress injuries are the inevitable cause of all death. Stupid RNA transcription errors.

well sometimes it's motorbikes

ftOqU21.png
    knitdan
    what kind of class is "statistics and fluid mechanics" even

am I missing something or is that kind of a random combo

ftOqU21.png
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Pulped newsprint

I don't know

how fluid are your mechanics? What are their statistics?

• japanjapan Registered User regular

Many of the numerical methods in fluid mechanics are statistical in nature

(I'm glad I never have to do fluid mechanics again, even within engineering people that can do it well are basically sorcerers)

tynic
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Oatmeal (rolled oats)
    It sounds like a professor who doesn’t want any students but they’re required to offer a class so they named it something that would discourage interest.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    It sounds like a professor who doesn’t want any students but they’re required to offer a class so they named it something that would discourage interest.

none of that is how it works here though

it's all part of the course

there's a couple electives, later, but for the most part there's no picking and choosing classes

and there's not really any professors since this isn't a university

they used to not be able to have less than 10 point classes, so tons of classes were these weird combos but now they can but it's still a 10 point class just with two different components and I'm not really sure why it's not two 5 point classes

ftOqU21.png
    japan wrote: »

(I'm glad I never have to do fluid mechanics again, even within engineering people that can do it well are basically sorcerers)

oh okay

and capital, sounds like I'm gonna have tons of fun.

ftOqU21.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Like a bad lobster in a dark cellar Registered User regular

Sometimes I calculate a Reynolds number.

The other day I calculated some B tier numbers to give a hand wavy "this probably won't work" assessment

I refuse to go deeper.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    The real answer to all fluid mechanics questions is "I define the problem in Fluent and then run it for three days"

Today, in defiance of Brendan and possibly ill advisedly, I'm taking a train to the opposite side of the country on the assumption that I'll still be able to get one back this afternoon

thunder

trying very hard not to interpret it as a sign from the gods that I should go back to sleep and not go outdoors

ftOqU21.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Rice
    Today, in defiance of Brendan and possibly ill advisedly, I'm taking a train to the opposite side of the country on the assumption that I'll still be able to get one back this afternoon

off peak day return tix are basically short maturity options innit

aRkpc.gif
    ronya wrote: »

Peak time bb

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’m having some real bad days now, can’t remember a uniformly bad day these last six months or so but yesterday was garbage and today started out that way too.

All because I’m trying to take blood tests, which I’ve now spent a collective 3.5 hours on and still not gotten done. It’s amazing how extremely simple things can fail.

PSN: Honkalot
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    *arrives at work*

"Front door open!"

Guess I have some tuning to do.

Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    wanderingBrody
    *arrives at work*

"Front door open!"

Guess I have some tuning to do.

alternatively you're getting burgled

ftOqU21.png
    japanronyaEchoKamiroBrodytynic
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Malt-o-meal
    Beat Vampyr. Decent story, mediocre combat. But isn't that the way all actiony-vampire games are?

Honk wrote: »
    I’m having some real bad days now, can’t remember a uniformly bad day these last six months or so but yesterday was garbage and today started out that way too.

All because I’m trying to take blood tests, which I’ve now spent a collective 3.5 hours on and still not gotten done. It’s amazing how extremely simple things can fail.

just puncture a vein, hold it up in front of a receptionist and say "the sooner y'all start collecting this the less there's gonna be in the carpet"

ftOqU21.png
    HonkHappylilElfChanus
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Rice
    ronya wrote: »

Peak time bb

it's like you don't want to stagger into the city at 1am on a weekday

aRkpc.gif
    Mojo_Jojo
This discussion has been closed.