As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    That Paprika app looks like it does just about everything that I've found myself wishing for when at the grocery store lately - particularly acting as a repository for recipes from various sources that I can access at the store and search by ingredient. It would be great to be able to pick out a recipe immediately when I see something intriguing at the store and be able to leave there with everything I need for a particular meal.

That said, most of the recipes I use come from cook books rather than online sources. Is there any way to enter in recipes from non-digital sources? Either by typing them in manually or by scanning?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    That Paprika app looks like it does just about everything that I've found myself wishing for when at the grocery store lately - particularly acting as a repository for recipes from various sources that I can access at the store and search by ingredient. It would be great to be able to pick out a recipe immediately when I see something intriguing at the store and be able to leave there with everything I need for a particular meal.

That said, most of the recipes I use come from cook books rather than online sources. Is there any way to enter in recipes from non-digital sources? Either by typing them in manually or by scanning?

You can manually add Recipes. You can even add photos to them. which is nice. I wish you could scan though, that would be sweet.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    2020 goals, I suppose. I need better food or better lighting or something.

Not to diminish @tynic 's photo skills

But her food is really really really tasty

even the smelly things!

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    2020 goals, I suppose. I need better food or better lighting or something.

Not to diminish @tynic 's photo skills

But her food is really really really tasty

even the smelly things!

I'm still upset that we never bought a durian for me to try. THE ONE TIME I live with THE ONLY HOUSEMATE who could ever agree to such a ghastly request.

I'm much too afraid to experience durian by myself.

I need to be surrounded by a strong support system.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Durian is great, just eat it.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Durian is great, just eat it.

Durian is the one that smells like swamp ass wrapped in paint thinner right

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    No it smells like very ripe fruit is almost about to go bad and also someone is making garlic soup.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Just picked up the Paprika Recipe app and really like it so far. It'll be really nice to organize all my recipes.

It's one of two apps I've purchased. A great investment for sure.

Did you buy a mobile and desktop version, or just one or the other?

I just got the mobile version. It's great because it cuts out all the ads and bullshit stories, and you can instantly convert to or from metric and scale the recipe at the touch of a button.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Durian's something I'm intimidated by because if I went to buy one in a store I wouldn't know how to pick out a good one, and what if I pick one that isn't ripe or something, and then I don't like it and I'm convinced durian is bad but I just picked out a bad one.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ketar wrote: »
    I can’t imagine not liking onions. Onions go in everything I put in a pan. I wouldn’t know it was food if it didn’t have onions in it.

I like the flavors that onions impart, but I can only eat a very small amount without suffering from some unpleasant GI issues.

So I still cook with onions, but then I have to pick the onions out of whatever like a picky child.

This hurts my heart.

As for Jedoc, you cannot have guacamole without raw onions, or a decent potato salad for that matter. Raw onions stay and that’s the final word.

This is the way the world ends.

Anyway, for various dreary reasons relating to V1m losing both his phone and his bank cards yesterday, I am very tired, very cold and frankly, oppressed.

So I am making the most comforting food I know, which is what I dub "Medical Curry" - double garlic, double ginger, double chile, extra fenugreek.

In this specific case, Medical Dhal. My local supermarket has recently introduced a surprisingly credible range of "world foods" (ie: about 60% Indian, 30% SE Asia/Japan, 10% everywhere else, which is handy for all my South American candy needs), including some excellent deals on pulses. So I'm making dhal with 2 different kinds of lentils (yellow and red) and also some urud dhal beans which look like teeny tiny black beans. The value of doing this is you get the textural variation. The red lentils fall quickly and thoroughly, the yellows somewhat less and the uruds basically keep their identity as strong black teeny beans that don't need no smooshing to taste good.

And I have a small lamb steak that has been rubbed with tandoori masaala and will be grilled (ie: broiled) and sliced and served atop my heaping bowl of legume therapy.

Put your pulses in some clean water to soak a bit, and give them a swirl about whenever there's a gap
    EDIT: About a cup to a cup and a half of total volume of whatever combo you're going with. It's not a precision technique.

Peel and dice about 2 cubic inches of ginger
    Peel and smash 10-12 fat cloves of garlic
    Finely dice a red onion
    Chop 2-3 tomatoes (or as I did used tinned, because winter tomatoes are ass)
    2-4 chiles depending on size, hotness and how oppressed you're feeling, Indian chefs never bother de-seeding but I always do.

Put 3-4 tbsp oil in a pan and bring to a medium heat
    Add 1tsp black mustard
    Next add 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
    next add 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
    then 3-4 cloves
    then a piece of cinnamon

Let the spice crackle for 30 seconds or so, then sling in the chiles. Let those fry for a minute and add the ginger and garlic, stir, etc. As soon as they stop smelling like raw garlic and ginger, sling in the onion and a good chunk of butter, say an ounce. Cook until the onions have softened and browned a bit (it will be difficult to tell by the colour because they'll be covered in spices).

Add 2 tsp kashmiri red chile powder
    Add 2 tsp fenugreek powder
    Add 1 tsp tumeric powder.

Stir and let these new spices fry in the butter a bit, then sling in the tomatoes

Add a teaspoon of tamarind concentrate or other souring agent (you can just use a lemon)

I added a lamb stock jelly because I'm going to have this with lamb. You can just add salt if you prefer. As long as some salt is getting in there.

Add a spoonful of dark sugar, or a piece of jaggery if you have that (I do not).

Add 2 cups water (ie: I filled the tomato carton twice) and bring to a simmer.

Add in the pulses, cook at a low simmer lid on until it looks ready. Remember that lentils are a bugger for sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning, so stir every 10 mins or so.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that I have a bunch of fresh coriander than I intend to chop up and stir in just before I serve up.

V1m on
  • Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    Two things: first, "jaggery" is maybe my favourite food word of all time.

Second, do you just leave the whole spices in the curry? I've done the whole toast and grind thing to make garam masala or curry powder, but frying the whole spices and leaving them whole is new to me. Do you pull the cloves and cinnamon at some point?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Eggplant parm came out ok!

Mom and hubby both said it was delicious, but I wanted more flavour.

I think i'll salt the eggplant earlier in the day to draw out more moisture, even after air frying and then putting into a fan-forced oven to brown the cheese, the bottom coating still got kinda soggy.

I'll probably peel the eggplant as well, the breading just did not stick to the peel at all and was disappointing. Also really tempted to do a dry rub of seasonings of sorts on the actual eggplant for a bit before doing the breading stages.

Over all it was good, not a huge disappointment, but a few things that could be tweaked to make it a bit better. I'd say definitely worth doing the air frying and then the oven the breading on the pieces that I didn't add sauce and cheese to came out great.

Also pictured, some breaded and fried zucchini spears.
    2terim1cirw5.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Eggplant parm came out ok!

Mom and hubby both said it was delicious, but I wanted more flavour.

I think i'll salt the eggplant earlier in the day to draw out more moisture, even after air frying and then putting into a fan-forced oven to brown the cheese, the bottom coating still got kinda soggy.

I'll probably peel the eggplant as well, the breading just did not stick to the peel at all and was disappointing. Also really tempted to do a dry rub of seasonings of sorts on the actual eggplant for a bit before doing the breading stages.

Over all it was good, not a huge disappointment, but a few things that could be tweaked to make it a bit better. I'd say definitely worth doing the air frying and then the oven the breading on the pieces that I didn't add sauce and cheese to came out great.

Also pictured, some breaded and fried zucchini spears.
    2terim1cirw5.jpg

Out of the breading/cheese/sauce? Or out of the eggplant? Unless you get farmstand fresh eggplant, you're going to struggle there in my experience.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    out of the everything. Some parts of the breadcrumbs had flavour, some didn't.

it was just jarred sauce and that was fine and just fresh mozzarella.

Mostly, the eggplant. Which is why i'm thinking of doing a spice rub on it before it goes into the breading.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah eggplant you have to add whatever flavor you want it to have, I've found.

yeah. it was a good proof of concept. Now I just need to improve on it.

Tonight i'm going to try and make some sumac chicken.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I love rice bowls but I never really make them at home because I think they're kinda irritating

I thought today I might try doing some batch ingredients to make bowls for lunches, anyone have favorite ingredients?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Cooked onions are my best friends. I will stand back to back with cooked onions against all the legions of hell.

Raw onions are vile trash. I would not spit on a raw onion if it was on fire in a gutter.

If a raw onion is on fire is it not then a cooked onion?

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I love rice bowls but I never really make them at home because I think they're kinda irritating

I thought today I might try doing some batch ingredients to make bowls for lunches, anyone have favorite ingredients?

A few of mine:
    Shredded pickled beets
    Roasted brussels sprouts with garlic
    Roasted sweet potato slices with honey and olive oil
    Toasted kale
    Sauteed spiced mushrooms
    Soft-boiled eggs
    Charred carrot wedges
    Tahini and turmeric dressing
    Whipped feta dip

I don't do all those at once obviously but all of those things can be made ahead fairly quickly and then just portioned out

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    made shakshuka for dinner.

Also made challah.

And then took half of the challah dough and turned it into little balls, then put a pretzel bath together and made pretzel honey challah rolls.

so gooooodddd

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I've found oven roasted sweet onions to be about the only way I can enjoy onions. Raw onion at all is just not an option for me. Caramelized red or yellow onions are okay, but not great.

What about mixed in with other stuff, as a base flavor in more complex cooked dishes?

If they are chopped super small and then caramelized down to almost no texture at all, I might be able to eat them.

I love the taste of onions cooked in things, I cannot abide the texture.

I absolutely cannot enjoy the flavor of onions. Cooked onions are tolerable, but I do not like the flavor

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    If tomorrow there were no onions I might not die, but chances are pretty good I would be inconsolable for a good long while.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

Second, do you just leave the whole spices in the curry? I've done the whole toast and grind thing to make garam masala or curry powder, but frying the whole spices and leaving them whole is new to me. Do you pull the cloves and cinnamon at some point?

Yes you do leave them in. It wouldn't be practical to fish out cumin seeds even if you wanted to. I guess you could pull out your piece of cinnamon if you were worried about accidentally eating it?

Re: whole vs powdered. They bring different things to the table, and there's a reason to use both.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Applebee's recently added a french dip style sandwich to their menu, that comes with a "french onion style au jus" and I'm like

That's french onion soup.

Fuck you Applebee's

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Yes you do leave them in. It wouldn't be practical to fish out cumin seeds even if you wanted to. I guess you could pull out your piece of cinnamon if you were worried about accidentally eating it?

Re: whole vs powdered. They bring different things to the table, and there's a reason to use both.

When we make a curry from scratch with whole spices, we fish out the spices before serving the meal up. I fucking hate biting down on a cardamom seed, a bay leaf, or a cinnamon scroll.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I had a poke bowl last night, and I really liked it. I know they've been a thing for a long-ass time, but I'm just getting to it now.

Also I'm wondering, this seems like it could be a pretty easy way to meal prep? Like you could make four or five bowls worth of ingredients, and refridgerate until you eat it? It doesn't seem like anything in here, except maybe avocado, would go off? Are there issues with storing cooked sushi rice I don't know of?

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Leftover rice gets more and more dry by the day, to the point that I wouldn't consider it edible two days or more after cooking without rehydrating and reheating.
    Easy to address though, and I think the rest of the ingredients would be fine.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Unless you use a citrus/acid in your marinade. Then it would begin to do some funky stuff like denaturing the protein in the fish.

And the rice will last longer if you don't fridge it and wrap it tight. Just mix in later.

DrZiplock on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah if you're just serving a little bit of rice with each poke bowl you could cook that in like 5 minutes on the day. I've never personally had an issue with it, but my partner worked in food service for years and one of the biggest things they teach you in food safety is that apparently cooked rice is a real motherfucker for enabling and supporting bacterial growth at room temperature, supposedly you have to be quite careful with it to avoid giving yourself the screaming shits if you're cooking, storing, and then reheating rice.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, rice left out is a huge botulism risk so you need to refrigerate it if you're making it ahead of time.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Thankee for the advice

• CormacCormac Registered User regular

Also made challah.

And then took half of the challah dough and turned it into little balls, then put a pretzel bath together and made pretzel honey challah rolls.

so gooooodddd

Challah french toast is also amazing if you have enough bread left.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Cormac wrote: »

Also made challah.

so gooooodddd

Challah french toast is also amazing if you have enough bread left.

We do, but we're using it for sandwiches for lunches this week.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2020
    Chef's Table reminded me that Muhammara exists and I should definitely make it in the near-ish future.

edit: this chickee is attempting to tackle a turkish bread challenge with a low-gluten flour, which seems like setting yourself up for failure.

tynic on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I made Saag Panir tonight and made the Panir myself and it was extremely easy. I've never made cheese before so I was set up to be easily impressed but man, it's pretty easy.

The rest of the dish was good too, not exactly a healthy way to eat spinach but it is pretty painless!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck yes.

Making these this week, As well as the other one too, to maximize my mashed tater making.

https://youtu.be/SljiOn0Ry-s

https://youtu.be/ImlToh9JcF0

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I love just throwing garlic, onions, bell pepper and mushrooms in a pan and sauteing em up. The result is inevitably delicious.

Made a sort of stir fry with beef and soy sauce, sesame seed oil and hot sauce. Gonna just ladle it over some rice and have a good time.

Juggernut on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Ffffuck that sounds good

BahamutZERO.gif
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I love just throwing garlic, onions, bell pepper and mushrooms in a pan and sauteing em up. The result is inevitably delicious.

Made a sort of stir fry with beef and soy sauce, sesame seed oil and hot sauce. Gonna just ladle it over some rice and have a good time.

I do this a lot, maybe throw in some kind of dinner sausage to go with it for some protein. Makes a good topper for Mac and Cheese as well, and makes great leftovers.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My go to slurry if I don't feel like any indepth cooking is rice, black beans, corn and turkey kielbasa.

It's got your carbs, lean protein, and fiber!

This discussion has been closed.