As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Witchening

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Witchening

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Even after reading the comic, I had to google and confirm that, yes, this is a thing that exists (the video game; seems they made up the part about it becoming a show).

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Drake of the 99 (Offscreen) Dragons.

steam_sig.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    A thing that exists, I remain unconvinced that it's a video game.
    In July 2006, X-Play called Drake the single worst game ever released for the Xbox, even going so far as to state that it had eclipsed the game Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis as "the standard by which they rate all bad games."
    Harsh words, Battle for Atlantis was only a video game in the same academic sense that a crude shape recognition test for cuttlefish is often called a video game.

Hevach on
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I haven't seen The Witcher yet and I'mma let y'all finish, but Netflix already made the best video game show of all time.

Superman brooding and killing monsters is pretty cool but Thorin Oakenshield brooding and killing monsters is priceless.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Oh my god, this game looks so bad. If it were a movie, the MST3K on it would be epic.

539343-589806_20031126_003.jpg

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I can't wait for the TV adaptation of the Sniper 2. Now there's a 'so bad its good' game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOwNBUtyN4I

Also, can I just say that Gabe's interpretation of the character Drake looks a hundred times better and more interesting than any of the art that was made for the actual game.

• FTVFTV Registered User regular
    Looking at the box for the game, I feel like they remember it because Mike did the cover art.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Drake is kind of legendary for it's combination of obtuse story and more importantly it's controls.

Like, the idea with the game was that you would have a glorious John woo shooter with lots of jumping and diving and vertiallity and you can absolutely do that... but you're going to be fighting with the camera the whole time.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I figured this was just a joke, something made up for this strip, like Grimm Shado and the Witchaloks.
    Then I watched this video and discovered, to my horror, that it was entirely real.

• InsomniacFurreInsomniacFurre Registered User new member
    For any who don't remember the plot of this...thing that can loosely be called a game, the '99 dragons' in the title is the name of the gang clan that the title character Drake is a part of. Or was it the gang clan he was fighting? I forget.

• InsomniacFurreInsomniacFurre Registered User new member
    Er, the joke of the comic is that, I mean.

• HighPriestofZuulHighPriestofZuul Registered User regular
    I'm more looking forward to the Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood adaptation.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I know they have said Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood is based on Spawn, but there sure seem to be some similarities to ol' Drake here.
    957943816_63d403ed9f_z.jpg

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Registered User regular
    I looked at panel 3 first and thought that it was the Bard from the Witcher in his own show at first. . .

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Master assassin Drake dies at least 5 times during the game’s story, to the point that the spirit gods keeping him alive can’t make him any new bodies and he has to find a fresh corpse of his to reuse.