As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Leon would make sense for being an important character on a Nintendo console (RE4 for Gamecube) and for having a high-profile game released recently (RE2 Remake). Though personally I'd say that Jill is the most iconic rep for the series.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Yes, but people were still using it as proof that he was gone for good.

Ness getting Lucas variants of his specials as custom moves didn’t help things, at the time. A similar thing happened with Fox getting Wolf moves.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I like Leon but isn’t he too small time for Smash?

Leon actually has more RE appearances than any other protag thanks to a little GBC game called RE gaiden

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I like Leon but isn’t he too small time for Smash?

Leon actually has more RE appearances than any other protag thanks to a little GBC game called RE gaiden

Not by my count; just went through wikipedia's series timeline to double check, and even excluding the 2002 remake of RE1, Chris Redfield has been playable in 9 games to Leon's 6. Jill (7, although this is counting DLC for RE5) and Claire (7) also have him beat. Jill and Claire have each appeared in multiple live action films, while Chris and Leon have each only been in one. Jill's had the lion's share of guest appearances in other games followed closely by Chris (who seems to be favored in the newer Marvel vs Capcoms, while Jill's been relegated to DLC a few times). Leon was only in Project X-Zone 2 from what I can find.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hm. Looks like the current rumor for the character is
    Dante from Devil May Cry, based on a weird comment from a voice actor. Then again the voice actor doesn't play Dante, and voice actors often say weird/uninformed/incorrect things, so personally I'm not putting a lot of stock in it.

Other rumors are Travis Touchdown and Waluigi, because of course.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Will they change the box art?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Dante would easily fit the criteria of Wacky New Mechanics for a DLC fighter. Fan concepts I like would give him a Style Switch button that changes his other specials. The tricky bit is what that would do for Kirby.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Dante would easily fit the criteria of Wacky New Mechanics for a DLC fighter. Fan concepts I like would give him a Style Switch button that changes his other specials. The tricky bit is what that would do for Kirby.
    Maybe it would give Kirby a wheel like what pops up for Monado Arts which will let him pick between the different Style attacks. That, or make it be one attack with a tap of B, and a different attack when holding B.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    If Dante were capable of switching styles and weapons as he is in his home series he could easily be the most complex fighter in Smash.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    If Dante were capable of switching styles and weapons as he is in his home series he could easily be the most complex fighter in Smash.
    Im more thinking his weapons’ moves would feature into his various tilts and smashes, like how he worked in Marvel Vs Capcom. Stinger as his dash, Windmill for a neutral air, Rising Dragon on his upsmash, stuff like that.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    So, 35 minute in-depth video for the unknown character makes me think they're going to be released on the same day. The past few in-depth videos were reserved for the release day, yes?

I wonder if we'll get any sort of info about the second wave of characters.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    So, 35 minute in-depth video for the unknown character makes me think they're going to be released on the same day. The past few in-depth videos were reserved for the release day, yes?

I wonder if we'll get any sort of info about the second wave of characters.

I'd actually make a decent bet on same-day release, yeah.

It would be a good time to give some info on the second wave, wouldn't it? Definitely the schedule, maaaaaaaybe another character announcement if we're lucky. Personally I wouldn't mind some sort of update on Amiibo for the first wave -- Dark Samus and Richter come out this week, and there's nothing else announced (which is unusual).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    C'Mon Kos-Mos, it's your time to shine!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I hope whatever they release is more fun, balanced, and exciting to fight like Terry and not stupid broken and unfun to play against like Hero.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ugh, that's the day I'm traveling for PAX South :(

Crippl3 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rumors are not spoilers; knock it off.

YL9WnCY.png
    I’m sorry.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Still holding out for Shantae or Shovel Knight.
    Heck, any solid indie would be great.

Or we can go for something less indie but still well thought of like Wonderful 101/Wonder Red.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'd rather Shantae than Shovel Knight. Her move set would bring a different fighting style as I feel shovel knight would work similarly to the other swordy types.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yay! I've been plugging away at Spirits for a couple days now trying to finish that mode before new stuff got added.

Excited to see who got the latest Smash envelope!

I would love to see a video in which some guy opens the Smash envelope only for the paper to jump out of it and unfold into Paper Mario.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The previous four were third party, so a first party reveal seems unlikely.

I hope the next batch has some.

YL9WnCY.png
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'd rather Shantae than Shovel Knight. Her move set would bring a different fighting style as I feel shovel knight would work similarly to the other swordy types.
    Yeah, they even have two move sets to choose from; Pirate’s Curse with all of Risky’s items (and maybe a Risky Boots alt skin), or all transformations all the time.
    Also, Little Mac would finally have an opponent that doesn’t tower over him.

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, they even have two move sets to choose from; Pirate’s Curse with all of Risky’s items (and maybe a Risky Boots alt skin), or all transformations all the time.
    Also, Little Mac would finally have an opponent that doesn’t tower over him.

Shulk (5’6”) is canonically shorter than Little Mac (5’7”).

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    And three characters are under a foot high. Relative size means nothing in this game.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Dante would round out a cast of wholly disappointing DLC fighters that make me regret purchasing the season pass. So it's probably Dante.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dante would round out a cast of wholly disappointing DLC fighters that make me regret purchasing the season pass. So it's probably Dante.

Hopefully they can give him a random chance to stock you at 40% for no discernable reason

That should make it exciting

(I really do not like Hero at all)

Even if I don’t agree with the sentiment towards these specific characters, I can sympathize with the idea. The uncertainty of whether I’ll like all or any of the upcoming things is a reason why I’ve never really seen the draw of season passes like this, especially if I can just get the things piecemeal as they come out anyway.

I also don’t get the point of pre-ordering digital stuff, but that’s drifting off topic.

I’d like to know what sort of characters you’d like to see in the game, either here or with the next set. I’ve found myself without a solid opinion on who I’d like to see.

edited January 2020

Even if I don’t agree with the sentiment towards these specific characters, I can sympathize with the idea. The uncertainty of whether I’ll like all or any of the upcoming things is a reason why I’ve never really seen the draw of season passes like this, especially if I can just get the things piecemeal as they come out anyway.

I also don’t get the point of pre-ordering digital stuff, but that’s drifting off topic.

I’d like to know what sort of characters you’d like to see in the game, either here or with the next set. I’ve found myself without a solid opinion on who I’d like to see.

For me personally, gotta be Triclyde

ppcmp6rhhoid.gif

I think they could do a lot of fun stuff with this character

jungleroomx on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    give me Ratchet & Clank you cowards

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Elma and Uncontrollable please.
    Or just put uncontrollable on a mii costume Elma.

Elma from Xenoblade X? Or

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I'm assuming Xenoblade X, as Uncontrollable is the name of the "oh shit the big guy saw us" theme from that game.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Yeah sorry Xenoblade X. But any additional xenoblade rep will do as long as they bring more music.

Expanding further on future characters I'd like to see:
    Akira Howard - Astral Chain
    Edelgard - Fire Emblem
    Min Min - Arms (as she is the arms champion)
    Toadette - Seems to be becoming a regular character of the Mario series
    Geno - Super Mario RPG (just because I'm sick of people predicting Geno)
    Third parties: Crash, Sora, Bub and Bob

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I want Crash Bandicoot.

Give us Crash Bandicoot!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular

Hard to say, Rivals of Aether is an indie Smash-like and it has Shovel Knight as DLC and managed to make him feel fairly unique. He has a gimmick where he beats treasure out of opponents and can summon Chester to buy power ups and new moves.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Iblis wrote: »

Hard to say, Rivals of Aether is an indie Smash-like and it has Shovel Knight as DLC and managed to make him feel fairly unique. He has a gimmick where he beats treasure out of opponents and can summon Chester to buy power ups and new moves.

Thaaat… sounds like Hero, but even moreso. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Iblis wrote: »

Thaaat… sounds like Hero, but even moreso. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Not really, or rather, only if Chester's items are randomized. Otherwise it's just a ramping up of power the longer the character can hold on to a stock. Like Lucario or Terry's gimmicks, just by another means.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Elma and Uncontrollable please.
    Or just put uncontrollable on a mii costume Elma.

I'd hope for Melancholia, because that song is criminally underused in XCX.

But yeah, if there's gonna be XCX music, it'd probably Uncontrollable. And maybe Black Tar.