As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] WWE roster receives "quiet demotion" to developmental performance center

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    yeah from what I hear Joey Mercury is an amazing agent

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm legit disappointed in Joey Ryan.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    So much talk about fisting on Raw tonight. Just a filthy show.

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    R Truth is wonderful and it’s a shame he’s about to die

I really like the idea of adding Buddy to Seth’s crew.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Seth rounds up 13 disciples and the last one is the Judas.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I have been watching wrestling for nearly twenty years, and I have seen people cheat by pulling tights during a pinfall attempt dozens, probably hundreds of times.

Counting tonight's Raw, I have seen referees catch such cheating perhaps five or six times.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That Kevin spot fucking RULES

CYpGAPn.png
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    That Kevin spot fucking RULES

Kevin's on that Tony Hawk shit.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Someone needs to dub Goldfinger's Superman over that clip of Owen.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Direct link for KO clip

https://i.imgur.com/k3JTbc9.gifv

bloodyroarxx on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jesus it is really the time for wrestling people to just expose their whole asses on the internet huh

Anytime someone stands up for a racist bully I have to wonder if they are doing it out of solidarity for a friend or covering for someone who they agree with.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jesus it is really the time for wrestling people to just expose their whole asses on the internet huh

Anytime someone stands up for a racist bully I have to wonder if they are doing it out of solidarity for a friend or covering for someone who they agree with.

Pretty much, yeah. I honestly thought Joey Ryan was one of the good guys, but now that we have seen how he reacts when someone he is close to is exposed as a shitty human, his past statements do seem a lot more self-centered.

It's one thing to pull the "Twitter outrage doesn't matter" card when it's the dumb "you're killing the business" crap he gets, but the blowback at Tessa seems to be based on actually problematic behavior. Just writing that off helps nobody.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

For Joey I think its because its somebody he likes and a prominent part of intergender wrestling which is important to his career. He called out Cornette and fans who say transphobic and homophobic stuff as well.

Magell wrote: »

For Joey I think its because its somebody he likes and a prominent part of intergender wrestling which is important to his career. He called out Cornette and fans who say transphobic and homophobic stuff as well.

I mean I can be glad he calls out shitty behavior from other people, but by all accounts it sounds like Tessa is a garbage person and Joey should call her out as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I generally think it's the former. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have friends I've had to talk to about their behavior, and I'd also be lying if I said principle always took precedence over friendship.

Still disappointing to see from Joey Ryan, though. On top of booking Teddy Hart, which I assume is also because friends?

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »

I generally think it's the former. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have friends I've had to talk to about their behavior, and I'd also be lying if I said principle always took precedence over friendship.

Still disappointing to see from Joey Ryan, though. On top of booking Teddy Hart, which I assume is also because friends?

I'd like to believe its the former, but man I tell you I've been hanging out with "woke" white people before when there aren't women or minorities around and they'll lean in and say something fucking awful. It's like my shitty super power, I look like a racist/sexist bigot and so people share their bigotries to me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Magell wrote: »

I mean I can be glad he calls out shitty behavior from other people, but by all accounts it sounds like Tessa is a garbage person and Joey should call her out as well.

Yeah, I didn't mean for that to sound like a defense of him. I think its worse how he calls out that shit in others then books Teddy Hart and defends his friends when they're shitty.

I can sympathize slightly with Joey, since he's not the first person to have a blind spot towards friends, and wants to believe the best of them. And he seems to get so much vitriol on twitter that he probably expects the worst.

That doesn't excuse his super shitty tweet pretty much downplaying everyone who was concerned with what was coming out.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Raw was still forgettable but this sudden elevation of Murphy, plus these pushes for McInTyre and Black are adding more interest to the Rumble than in recent years. I still think they handle it pretty shittily but just announcing entry rather than making people work for it, but those 3 guys are now suddenly believable winners.

If not for the current champions, because only a select 2 or 3 can go over Brock, and probably one 1 will be going over Bray.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Someone needs to dub Goldfinger's Superman over that clip of Owen.

ask and you shall receive

https://streamable.com/8zw5f

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    don't worry anyone working for WWE all the money they could spend on gas and hotels is going to a terrible football league

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Hm, interesting. Lucha is rather morality play too.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think the "morality play" is endemic to wrestling everywhere. The particulars of it depend on what each society values most.

I'd probably characterize the American style as more "soap opera and spectacle".

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    @Magell New Japan's doing a Young Lions show on Mania weekend

with Tanahashi

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Honestly I hate the "soap opera" comparison because it's usually used to excuse lazy writing by comparing it to something that's frankly born from a patronizing view toward women. Also because of everything expressed in shitbird failson Max Landis' video "Wrestling isn't Wrestling" which should get some sort of special congressional medal for being such a bad take. It's like saying "videogames aren't gameplay" or "movies aren't cinematography." The best North American wrestling tells a story in the ring that reflects the story outside of the ring. Sami Zayn winning the NXT Championship is brilliant because the wrestling match simultaneously resolves external conflict over the title, Sami's internal doubts and the philosophical battle of whether or not Zayn could win the big one without compromising his morals. For that I think "morality play" is a much better goal.

Mwx884o.jpg
    Magell New Japan's doing a Young Lions show on Mania weekend

with Tanahashi

Tempting, but this was announced and there's a 50% chance Low Ki actually shows up

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    First Jay now ELP Matry puttin in WORK

Honestly I hate the "soap opera" comparison because it's usually used to excuse lazy writing by comparing it to something that's frankly born from a patronizing view toward women. Also because of everything expressed in shitbird failson Max Landis' video "Wrestling isn't Wrestling" which should get some sort of special congressional medal for being such a bad take. It's like saying "videogames aren't gameplay" or "movies aren't cinematography." The best North American wrestling tells a story in the ring that reflects the story outside of the ring. Sami Zayn winning the NXT Championship is brilliant because the wrestling match simultaneously resolves external conflict over the title, Sami's internal doubts and the philosophical battle of whether or not Zayn could win the big one without compromising his morals. For that I think "morality play" is a much better goal.

I definitely didn't mean to use "soap opera" in that manner, and certainly didn't mean it to be derogatory. Just that there is definitely a much heavier usage of acted segments and interpersonal relationship drama in US wrestling, compared to the rest of the world. WWE, of course, relies heavily on this, but pretty much every other major promotion used/uses it as well.

The problem that I have with using "morality play" as a characterization of the American style is that it's not something that is primarily American. Every form of wrestling uses morality plays as the core of their angles; only the specific morals promoted differ.

xderwsaxganu.png

This is great news, looks like TNT's pretty satisfied with how Dynamite's doing.

In college I took a theatre class, and we had the option of attending a bunch of plays, or writing a heavily researched paper on any topic that was theatre related.

I chose to do my paper about pro wrestling being a natural extension of theatre, and more specifically that from Shakespeare era, and aced my paper.

Really wish I would have kept that paper cause I would like to go back and read it now.

Sprout wrote: »

This is great news, looks like TNT's pretty satisfied with how Dynamite's doing.

Not only are they renewing Dynamite to 2023, but also adding a new show? Hell yeah.

xderwsaxganu.png

Not only are they renewing Dynamite to 2023, but also adding a new show? Hell yeah.

Weird no one is hyping up the new show as if no one on the roster actually knows yet.

With Cody and Tony being such WCW marks its totally going to be AEW Saturday night

Weird no one is hyping up the new show as if no one on the roster actually knows yet.

With Cody and Tony being such WCW marks its totally going to be AEW Saturday night

I wonder if it's just going to be Dark But On TV.

This discussion has been closed.