As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    No. I'm pretty sure Venom and other Sony-Spidey adjacent movies will remain PG-13 in the hope they will somehow be worked into the MCU backdoor style. Which isn't happening, but Sony would love it.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    If Sony actually does get a Spidey cameo, I doubt they waste it on Morbius. He'd probably show up in Venom 2.

Not saying anything is set in stone but I think if Disney gets a bigger cut of the films going forward, I can see why they'd let them play with some of the shared toys, such as Keaton's character and other characters Sony probably gets first dibs on.

Has there been any talk about Venom (the movie, not the character) being redone/director's cutted? I was only half interested in the movie when it was announced, and when Tom Hardy mentioned that the studio had stripped the good parts out, my remaining interest drained, and so I haven't watched it yet.

Venom's fun, as is. It could have leaned harder into its weirdness - sounds like the cut scenes did this - but it is still an endearingly oddball movie about a shitty reporter and his cannibalistic parasite BFF.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    And will this guy's vampirism be legally distinct from Blade and co.?

It looked like science gives dude bat powers.

So basically Spider-Man, but with bats. The guy even has his own version of the Peter tingle.

So, some kind of

Bat...Man?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    If Sony actually does get a Spidey cameo, I doubt they waste it on Morbius. He'd probably show up in Venom 2.

Not saying anything is set in stone but I think if Disney gets a bigger cut of the films going forward, I can see why they'd let them play with some of the shared toys, such as Keaton's character and other characters Sony probably gets first dibs on.

If there’s any hero cameo in Morbius to do an MCU tie in, I’m guessing it’s Blade at the end of the credits. Gives them a way to set up Morbius as an actual character then a showdown with Blade in his own film.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

If there’s any hero cameo in Morbius to do an MCU tie in, I’m guessing it’s Blade at the end of the credits. Gives them a way to set up Morbius as an actual character then a showdown with Blade in his own film.

As much as this would be an excellent fan moment, I don't see Marvel letting them do that

Maybe eventually if Disney saw Sony as more of a partner. I do agree that would be an excellent way to introduce Blade.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Viskod wrote: »
    Lol at the beginning of the Morbius trailer

"From the studio that brought you Spider Man: Homecoming and Spider Man: Far From Home."

Uh-huh. Okay Sony.

Should have been Spiderverse up there if they really wanted to sell it.

But anyhow, this guy is some kind of a vampire, right? But not a classical one with magic and dark powers, but more along the lines of comic book science to explain it?

Seems like a lot of work just to have a “realistic” version of a vampire IMO.

You can blame Fredric Wertham and the Comics Code for that.

"Heyyyy, this looks like a vampire, and we banned all that horror stuff, because it was Bad for the Youth."

"No, no, he's, uh... a living vampire! Made with science! That's totally different. Really."

*suspicious sideeye* "... okay."

("You think he actually bought it?"
    "Who cares, we get to make vampire comics again. Kids love that stuff.")

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Eh, Leto is an uninteresting lead to me after his stupid Joker shenanigans on set. Venom was a mediocre movie elevated by a perfect for the role lead, and this looks like more of the same but with an annoying dick as the lead.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Fuck the Comics Code.

Ruining everything.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

As much as this would be an excellent fan moment, I don't see Marvel letting them do that

Maybe eventually if Disney saw Sony as more of a partner. I do agree that would be an excellent way to introduce Blade.

IF they did this, it'd require the legal team equivalent of The Avengers working out all the particulars that Marvel fucking OWNS that character, its likeness, its use in the film, every last conceivable angle.

There's no way they'd let Sony have leverage to potentially fuck with their effort to put out a Blade movie again before it's even in production (I think I heard it's in pre-production? Maybe that has changed? Point remains)

Yeah, I know, Marvel/Disney are no saints, want Scrooge McDuck sized piles of money, that has all been hashed out, etc, etc. After the 'omg will Marvel lose Spider-Man???' SNAFU recently, I can't imagine they'll leave anything like that up to chance.

Like, the kind of contract that costs someone high up on the hierarchy their immortal soul if violated.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Leto is a good actor, he's just awfully cringey human being in terms of his personal tastes. He definitely needs to be told what to do though, when he brings his own ideas in it's all very... Not good. They let him come up with most of the Joker concept for Suicide Squad and it didn't pan out as well as when Ledger did it. I think it's a character that has to be well written first and then the actor can fill out the gaps with their own made up personality and character traits.

I think Morbius is interesting because it is an edgelord character already, so Leto's personal tastes actually do line up with the character. So it could be good enough, in the way Venom was mostly only watchable because Hardy so badly wanted to play the role and was doing a pretty good job with it.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Yeah, I know, Marvel/Disney are no saints, want Scrooge McDuck sized piles of money, that has all been hashed out, etc, etc. After the 'omg will Marvel lose Spider-Man???' SNAFU recently, I can't imagine they'll leave anything like that up to chance.

Like, the kind of contract that costs someone high up on the hierarchy their immortal soul if violated.

pfft, as if anyone at that level still has theirs.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Suicide Squad was a mess all around. From the writing to the directing to the studio meddling. The casting was top-notch* but it just goes to show that the best actors in the world cannot save a film from a fundamentally bad script or a poor director or executive overreach. Actors have the unenviable task of being the face for something that they by-and-large didn't have a lot of control over, because films are a massive team effort.

*except for Cara Delevigne

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Fuck the Comics Code.

Ruining everything.

Absolutely, yes. Fucking moral panic assholes

But also the Comics Code is the reason we have superhero comics in the first place

They forced publishers to stop printing Horror comics, which was the big money maker at the time. The publishers had to pivot or go out of business and superheroes was a hail mary that worked

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Pretty sure we had superheroes before that.

• Options

Yeah, but in the 50's Crime and Horror books outsold the hero comics by a lot, and nearly killed them off, if not for the CCA

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Mostly as propaganda comics during WWII

Those propaganda comics featuring characters the publishers still owned was one of the reasons superheroes were greenlighted so quickly

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be incredibly surprised to see a like 3-second cameo from Mahersala Ali as Blade in a post-credits scene, assuming legal could work things out. He did a photoshoot in Blade-esque getup recently after all.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    You could tell me the movie was going to be the lynchpin for the MCU for the next decade and I'm still 98% sure I wouldn't watch a Jared Leto as a Vampire movie.

New Widow trailer looks perfectly acceptable.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Obligatory Bojack Horseman take on Jared Leto:

https://youtu.be/lmke7G3ccjo

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    You could tell me the movie was going to be the lynchpin for the MCU for the next decade and I'm still 98% sure I wouldn't watch a Jared Leto as a Vampire movie.

New Widow trailer looks perfectly acceptable.

If this wasnt a comic book character, specifically a MARVEL character there is zero chance i'd even give it a second glance.

Especially after that trailer.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    So that Spider-Man poster in the background in that trailer?

It’s using the Raimi suit

Also
    Michael Keaton
    appears to be working at the hospital. So I doubt it’s his same character

No way. A reference to both Spidey himself and an appearance by an actor who recently played a well-liked version of a Spidey villain appearing together in the same preview? There's no way that's a coincidence. This was totally designed to be picked up on by nerds like us. I mean, they directly name drop the Spidey movies in the opening crawl. This is not an accident. This is absolutely meant to be a bridge to the MCU.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    I think that’s what Sony intends, to link Morbius to the MCU through Spider-Man, but wether that works or if Disney will allow that remains to be seen.

For all we know this is just a cheap marketing trick to build hype and Keaton’s character has nothing to do with Vulture or Spider-Man.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Where do you guys see a poster in the trailer?

sig.gif
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Where do you guys see a poster in the trailer?

Screen_Shot_2020_01_13_at_12.08.37_PM.png

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Also the Vulture is wearing the exact same outfit he did at the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

383c82bdc1a18b17ae8d9f72a84e63e7

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    I think that’s what Sony intends, to link Morbius to the MCU through Spider-Man, but wether that works or if Disney will allow that remains to be seen.

For all we know this is just a cheap marketing trick to build hype and Keaton’s character has nothing to do with Vulture or Spider-Man.

I still don't buy it. If it's just meant to be a 'wink' at the audience, then why is Keaton relegated to a stinger at the end of the clip? If he's not Vulture then why the hell does that stinger matter at all? Do they expect audiences to go "OMG MICHAEL KEATON!!!!" on star power alone? I mean, if it's not Vulture, then what does Michael showing up contribute to the trailer? There's no other context given to explain who his character is aside from what the audience brings with them! Nope, not buying it, sorry. If it's a fake-out it's a stupid one and I can't imagine Marvel is cool with that.

• Options
    Oh and according to IMDB, J.K. Simmons is "rumored" to be in this as well so... yeah... another coinkidink?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I still don't buy it. If it's just meant to be a 'wink' at the audience, then why is Keaton relegated to a stinger at the end of the clip? If he's not Vulture then why the hell does that stinger matter at all? Do they expect audiences to go "OMG MICHAEL KEATON!!!!" on star power alone? I mean, if it's not Vulture, then what does Michael showing up contribute to the trailer? There's no other context given to explain who his character is aside from what the audience brings with them! Nope, not buying it, sorry. If it's a fake-out it's a stupid one and I can't imagine Marvel is cool with that.

I mean, we're talking about the studio that thinks a Morbius solo movie starring Jared Leto is a good move here. There's no shortage of stupid ideas at Sony.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    aww I thought this was basically like Spider-Man and was being done by Marvel with sony just getting a lot of money

now I am less interested

• Options

I don’t know what to say. Trailers, especially comic book trailers, have a history of lying or blowing minor things out of proportion.

Maybe the plan all along was for a Sony/MCU crossover. Maybe it’s a marketing trick to build hype and Keaton is just a minor scene in the middle of the movie. It’s hardly the first time something like this has happened.

When Marvel confirms a crossover with Sony, I’ll believe it. Until then it’s just hype to me.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Someone took the time to make D&D versions of the Avengers: https://imgur.com/gallery/7qP7nQ6

Here's an example:
    0PFBmpC.jpg

Like them a lot, but Drow Shadow Monk for Spider-Man does not fit (Drow Shadow Monk is obviously Nightcrawler). Spider-Man is probably more Drunken Master Monk.
    Viskod wrote: »
    Lol at the beginning of the Morbius trailer

"From the studio that brought you Spider Man: Homecoming and Spider Man: Far From Home."

Uh-huh. Okay Sony.

Should have been Spiderverse up there if they really wanted to sell it.

But anyhow, this guy is some kind of a vampire, right? But not a classical one with magic and dark powers, but more along the lines of comic book science to explain it?

Seems like a lot of work just to have a “realistic” version of a vampire IMO.

You can blame Fredric Wertham and the Comics Code for that.

"Heyyyy, this looks like a vampire, and we banned all that horror stuff, because it was Bad for the Youth."

"No, no, he's, uh... a living vampire! Made with science! That's totally different. Really."

*suspicious sideeye* "... okay."

("You think he actually bought it?"
    "Who cares, we get to make vampire comics again. Kids love that stuff.")

Morbius was created in the 70s, around the same time one of Marvel's big titles was Tomb of Dracula, so the Code had already lost a lot of influence by then.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I'd watch that movie so long as there's at least one blood rave.

I feel like this statement applies to a lot more concepts than just Blade + Morbius.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    I'd watch that movie so long as there's at least one blood rave.

I feel like this statement applies to a lot more concepts than just Blade + Morbius.

Who doesn't like a good blood rave?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    All I could think while watching that trailer was how it was literally like every blockbuster trailer ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOdjqyG37A

Like that video in itself is a funny as hell joke. But jesus if this didn't hit damn near every fucking note frame for frame, right down to "unexpected cover of a classic hit", only the classic being used extra literally (I know that piano song, I'm just blanking on the actual name of it).

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I certainly think Sony is trying really really hard to hitch their cart to the MCU machine any way possible.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I certainly think Sony is trying really really hard to hitch their cart to the MCU machine any way possible.

The Spider-Man renegotiations may have involved allowing Sony to tie its side projects more closely to the MCU.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    But jesus if this didn't hit damn near every fucking note frame for frame, right down to "unexpected cover of a classic hit", only the classic being used extra literally (I know that piano song, I'm just blanking on the actual name of it).

Beethoven's Fur Elise.

It's up there with Moonlight Sonata and Ode to Joy in the ubiquitous category, even though it wasn't really known till well after his death.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    No way. A reference to both Spidey himself and an appearance by an actor who recently played a well-liked version of a Spidey villain appearing together in the same preview? There's no way that's a coincidence. This was totally designed to be picked up on by nerds like us. I mean, they directly name drop the Spidey movies in the opening crawl. This is not an accident. This is absolutely meant to be a bridge to the MCU.
    It's a one-way street relationship. The Sonyverse can reference stuff that happens in the MCU, but - right now - the Sonyverse characters aren't going to show up in the MCU. Spider-man is basically the only one that's allowed to go back and forth.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    It's a one-way street relationship. The Sonyverse can reference stuff that happens in the MCU, but - right now - the Sonyverse characters aren't going to show up in the MCU. Spider-man is basically the only one that's allowed to go back and forth.

Oh?

Are we ignoring the other posts being made about how Michael Keaton is wearing the exact same clothes he wore in Homecoming or that JK Simmons is rumored to be in this? More coincidences or intentional fan baiting?

I don't recall any such explicit references to Spidey in Venom, Raimi version or otherwise?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    What are the chances Keaton would agree to only be allowed to play The Vulture in Disney produced Marvel films? Or JK Simmons with Triple J?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
This discussion has been closed.