As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] is the only parent I ever knew

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    There are no bad characters in Bob's Burgers

Gayle?

I had an aunt Gayle who show Gayle, or at least the fraught nature of her relationship with her family is uncomfortably close to.

steam_sig.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    There are no bad characters in Bob's Burgers

Gayle?

I had an aunt Gayle who show Gayle, or at least the fraught nature of her relationship with her family is uncomfortably close to.

Theres little doubt in my mind she is based on a real person

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I hope we get another appearance from
    Disheveled John Stamos

I want him to appear every season looking worse.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Y'all can keep naming Bob's Burgers characters and I'm just gonna keep tapping the THERE ARE NO BAD BOB'S BURGERS CHARACTERS sign

CYpGAPn.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Y'all can keep naming Bob's Burgers characters and I'm just gonna keep tapping the THERE ARE NO BAD BOB'S BURGERS CHARACTERS sign

But who is better, Mort or Teddy?

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Oh hey I just came in here to say Bob's Burgers is good and I love it and we're already talking about Bob's Burgers being good and how we love it.

This is as it should be.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I know a man who is almost exactly Teddy to a tee.

And he is a treasure

aGPmIBD.jpg

JIMMY PESTO

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    H. Jon Benjamin's Bob's exasperated "oh my god" is up there, slightly below but up there, with Henry Cavill's Geralt's exasperated "... fuck."

Juggernut wrote: »
    H. Jon Benjamin's Bob's exasperated "oh my god" is up there, slightly below but up there, with Henry Cavill's Geralt's exasperated "... fuck."

It worked its way into my vocabulary without my notice

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    one of the best parts of The Witcher is now when I'm confronted by some meaningless task my depression has decided is Too Much, Man (another phrase I've taken)

my beleaguered "...fuck." will be a reference rather than just a gloomy cussword

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bob's Burgers is my show that I just let run in the background if I'm not watching anything else

Just put on a random episode on Hulu and let it autoplay

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Has there been any news about the second season of the Mandalorian, or any news about the other rumored live action Star Wars show, I think it was going to feature the one guy and robot from Rogue One?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Has there been any news about the second season of the Mandalorian, or any news about the other rumored live action Star Wars show, I think it was going to feature the one guy and robot from Rogue One?

Beloved character actor Alan Tudyk?

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    speaking of Alan Tudyk

how fukken good was Doom Patrol, guys?

it might be my favorite show of 2019

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've been banging the "Alan Tudyk is a fucking treasure" drum since Firefly so I've been quite pleased to see him get so much work lately. He was great on The Tick, too.

The confirmed SW shows are Mandalorian S2, Cassian Andor and Obi-Wan but thats about all the details we have

CYpGAPn.png

JIMMY PESTO
    Good character

Not a good person

But a good character who has led to many good episodes

CYpGAPn.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there are lots of people on bob's burgers who suck

like Mr. Frond

all of them are well-realized characters who are utilized to tell good stories

The thing that makes the show have no bad characters is that even the annoying, antagonistic folks like Mr. Frond or Hugo or Jimmy Pesto are treated like actual people who have motivations and weaknesses and little personal moments that stop them from being just 1 dimensional YOU SHOULD HATE THEM characters.

CYpGAPn.png

JIMMY PESTO
    Good character

Not a good person

But a good character who has led to many good episodes

Ok so this seemed like a good use of my time earlier but it probabaly wasnt. Just imagine its Bill Hader saying it in his Pacino voice
    Jimmy Pesto, Jimmy Pesto. I nursed him through two divorces, a cocaine rehab, and a pregnant receptionist. God's creature, right? God's special creature. I've warned him, Teddy. I've warned him every step of the way. Watching him bounce around like a fucking game. Like a wind-up toy. Like 280 pounds of self-serving greed on wheels. The next thousand years is right around the corner, Teddy, and Jimmy Pesto... take a good look, because he's the poster child for the next millennium.

These people, it's no mystery where they come from! You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it can split atoms with its desire. You build egos the size of Cathedrals; fiber-optically connect the world to every eager impulse; grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green, gold-plated fantasies until every human becomes an aspiring emperor, becomes his own God. And where can you go from there?

And as we're scrambling from one deal to the next; who's got his eye on the planet! The air thickens, the water sours, even the bee's honey takes on the sour taste of radio-activity. They just keep comin' faster and faster; there's no chance to think, to prepare: its Buy Futures; Sell Futures; when there is no Future! We got a runaway train, boy! We got a billion Eddie's all joggin' into the future. Every one of them getting ready to fist-f-k God's ex-planet, lick their fingers clean as they reach out toward their pristine cybernetic keyboard to tote up their f---in billable hours!

And then it hits home: You've got to pay your own way, Teddy; it's a little late in the game to “buy out now.”

Your belly's too full, your dick is sore, your eyes are blood-shot and you're screamin' for someone to help. But guess what ­ there's no one there! You're all alone, Teddy; you're God's special little creature!

Maybe it's true, maybe God threw the dice once too often! Maybe he let us all down.

….. Vanity….Definitely my favorite sin.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I finished up season 3 of Runaways last night.

Great show, probably still my second favorite MCU property. It definitely felt like they knew they were going to get cancelled and decided to condense two and a half seasons into ten episodes, but honestly, I think it all kind of worked?
    Wrapping up the Gib stuff fairly quickly rather than giving a whole season of everyone second guessing one another and trying to figure out who the traitor is was a good move. I'm still a very big fan of what this show did with the premise of Runaways, and changing it from Alex is definitively the traitor and a villain without remorse into everyone has their own way of betraying the team because everyone is in pain is such a solid move. But it also would have made an entire season of second guessing frustrating and repetitive feeling.

And then Morgan was a bunch of fun, solid comic book villain with an evil plan that's exactly the right mix of smart and dumb. Giving the team an unassailably villainous villain (even when Nico was tempted by her power) is a solid thing for them to go out on.

I also really liked the time travel episode as a final episode. Obviously it left things open for a potential sequel and all of that, but as a way of sending off these characters, showing who they were when we first met them was fun. And it provided a partial conclusion to the Alex stuff that the Morgan arc introduced, which was good enough for me.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh my god, Titans S2E6. The scene where
    Krypto catches a rocket and spins it back around to hit the guy that fired it

led to me collapsing in tearful laughter, pausing the video while still laughing, then walking outside to contemplate what I had just seen, before returning (and re-watching that scene).

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Bob's Burgers just does not do it for me and I don't know why.

Not saying I dislike it, just that it never quite gets there.

Most episodes I have seen have had funny bits and been entertaining but once they are over there's just nothing about it that makes me want to come back and watch more.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

led to me collapsing in tearful laughter, pausing the video while still laughing, then walking outside to contemplate what I had just seen, before returning (and re-watching that scene).

It's the best superhero scene ever

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

It's so fucking goofy

And it follows such a good serious character scene

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bob's Burgers just does not do it for me and I don't know why.

Not saying I dislike it, just that it never quite gets there.

Most episodes I have seen have had funny bits and been entertaining but once they are over there's just nothing about it that makes me want to come back and watch more.

I have a friend who can't get into it at all because he finds the animation style so offputtimg. Which is disappointing to me, but understandable given how I could never like the Star Wars cartoons he tried to get me to watch for the same reason.

steam_sig.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I've been banging the "Alan Tudyk is a fucking treasure" drum since Firefly so I've been quite pleased to see him get so much work lately. He was great on The Tick, too.

He was great in Firefly, but Serenity is where he really stuck the landing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    One of my favorite little things in Bob's Burgers is Bob always saying "Oh, hey Marshmallow" whenever he first sees Marshmallow in an episode.

It like, isn't really a running gag because it isn't a joke, but it always makes me, like, do a quick chuckle and is also a nice character beat of Bob thinking Marshmallow is cool as hell and always going out of his way to greet her.

CYpGAPn.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Marshmallow is cool as hell

Which is nice because the episode where she was introduced was... not great

Early Bob's Burgers feels a lot more mean-spirited than the show is now

Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah it took a couple of seasons for it to settle into the very healthy groove it has been in for a while

Even then it wasn't anywhere as mean as, like, a Chuck Lorre show

CYpGAPn.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah it took a couple of seasons for it to settle into the very healthy groove it has been in for a while

Even then it wasn't anywhere as mean as, like, a Chuck Lorre show

I would never say that about Bob's Burgers

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The Ground Chuck Lorre burger

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    LOTR show cast got announced. Group images in spoiler
    EORaLsKX4AAyaex?format=jpg

Robert Aramayo (young Ned in GoT; the upcoming films Antebellum and The King's Man)
    Owain Arthur
    Nazanin Boniadi (Bombshell)
    Tom Budge (The Pacific)
    Morfydd Clark (Crawl; the upcoming films Saint Maud and The Personal History of David Copperfield; His Dark Materials; Moffat's Dracula)
    Ismael Cruz Cordova (The Mandalorian; Mary Queen of Scots)
    Ema Horvath (The Gallows Act 2)
    Markella Kavenagh
    Joseph Mawle (Ripper Street; Sense8; Benjen in GoT)
    Tyroe Muhafidin
    Sophia Nomvete
    Megan Richards
    Dylan Smith (I Am The Night; Ripper Street; Into the Badlands; Murder on the Orient Express)
    Charlie Vickers (Medici)
    Daniel Weyman (Gentleman Jack)

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The dude with the beard and the blazer has a very good face. I like it. Probably a dwarf, yeah?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Mom is a pretty empathetic show, or at least what I've seen of it in syndication at my parents' house is pretty empathetic. Like...a lot of the characters can be shitty and mean, but the whole point of the show is that they're all recovering alcoholics and are actively trying to be better people, and, you know, sometimes they backslide

if you were uh...looking to hear someone defend a Chuck Lorre show, there's one for you

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

He was great in Firefly, but Serenity is where he really stuck the landing.

omg

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Mom hits all the right notes from my personal experiences in a similar family. Anna Faris and Allison Janney give great performances, the scripts aren't always stellar but those two have put on a clinic on sliding through comedy/tragedy/heart warming without pulling you out of the scene. And the show treats a lot of complicated topics with respect to how complicated they can be, which is above and beyond most sitcoms. Roseanne and Reba are the only other shows I can think of that worked that hard at presenting life "as is".

All that said, I can rarely watch more than an episode of Mom at a time as it brings up a lot of childhood baggage for me

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Tube wrote: »
    It's one of those shows where I genuinely can't imagine how anyone could enjoy it.

I've probably complained about Dracula enough already, but I will admit that I might have enjoyed if it had been my first exposure to Moffat's writing. The aggressively witty dialogue and unnecessary plot twists could have had a decent amount of novelty value if I hadn't been expecting them.

Butler on
This discussion has been closed.