As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I came to realize that my headaches and jaw aching are probably because I grind my teeth at night! I used to have a mouth guard but I lost it when we moved (though to be fair I wasn't using it much at the time...)

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    My loathing for printers is in an unceasing and bitter war with my desire to scribble notes on papers while reading them (yes I've tried this digitally, somehow it's not the same)
    I think the advance I really want is large-scale flexible e-paper with a stylus. Periodically crawling through a thousand loose sheets of nonsense is evidently an important part of my workflow.

I usually can get by without printing stuff but one time ended up printing out a PDF of a section of a data model I was working in that was like 3x3 pages and taping it together. Mostly so I could spread it out on my desk and follow lines while scribbling and muttering to myself.

Bring back the dot matrix!

failing at posting; it's a Dot Matrix image from space balls

Kruite on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2020
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm really surprised there hasn't been any breakthrough in printing to get rid of all these issues people have with them breaking constantly. Getting away from spinning and moving parts would improve their reliability a ton.

I have put literally no thought into this at all but my instinct is that when it comes to moving away from motors and moving printer heads, space efficient paper feeding is one fundamental technological barrier, with reliable ink nozzles coming a strong second.
    If we stopped using paper, used photo sensitive material combined with negative impression flash-printing/fixing, I wonder what that would look like? Material costs would skyrocket and so would space requirements but they might be less bullshit.
    also if you looked at the printer it would blind you but wev.

tynic on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm really surprised there hasn't been any breakthrough in printing to get rid of all these issues people have with them breaking constantly. Getting away from spinning and moving parts would improve their reliability a ton.

I have put literally no thought into this at all but my instinct is that when it comes to moving away from motors and moving printer heads, space efficient paper feeding is one fundamental technological barrier, with reliable ink nozzles coming a strong second.
    If we stopped using paper, used photo sensitive material combined with negative impression flash-printing/fixing, I wonder what that would look like? Material costs would skyrocket and so would space requirements but they might be less bullshit.

Imagining a printer that looks like a photo of the Z Machine with salesman Dr Nick shouting over it that at least it will never break.

steam_sig.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

CNC lasers are getting pretty good right? Let's just char paper right up to the smoke point instead of using ink.

Bonus: When it inevitably screws up, it immolates itself, saving you the trouble.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I'm glad we're relatively paperless at my office. We need to print some stuff because it needs a "real signature" to comply with some arcane law, but most of it just lives happily on our network drives.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

I submit that no longer being able to print on regular paper, of any weight and/or color, and going back to crappy fax/receipt paper and print that fades in months if not days, would not be a good trade. For me, anyway.

Commander Zoom on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

CNC lasers are getting pretty good right? Let's just char paper right up to the smoke point instead of using ink.

Bonus: When it inevitably screws up, it immolates itself, saving you the trouble.

I like all of these ideas we should try them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

I submit that no longer being able to print on regular paper, of any weight and/or color, and going back to crappy fax/receipt paper and print that fades in months if not days, would not be a good trade. For me, anyway.

Oh don't worry, I was leaning towards something much more expensive and ridiculous.
    Maybe bio-films or micro-grain liquid crystal pseudo-paper.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Just replace all paper with very thin e-ink screens that you just pop into the printer to reprogram.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Just replace all paper with very thin e-ink screens that you just pop into the printer to reprogram.

that was my first idea but it doesn't solve my need to write on them constantly.
    I guess you could use white board markers and some light solvent.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    HF will etch most materials, there's always that option.

Maybe an adult whiteboard sized magnadoodle. Do they make those?

steam_sig.png
    we could get around this situation by making the parts easily replaceable with off the shelf parts I suppose

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

that was my first idea but it doesn't solve my need to write on them constantly.

Just gotta invent a pen that flips the color of e-ink pixels. I assume that's pretty easy and will do zero research into e-ink lest I debunk that assumption.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Better printer technology would need to account for the printer industry's need to continue selling expensive ink and toners

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Most printer problems come from over use not under engineering. Printers have "mileage" and most companies don't properly maintain them because they don't track usage and some asshole prints out 3,000 pages of blank spreadsheet cells every other week.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Isn't that just a laser printer?

Or was that the joke?

Also, all this talk of printers reminds me of this comic:
    lUccAPH.jpg

Doodmann wrote: »
    Most printer problems come from over use not under engineering. Printers have "mileage" and most companies don't properly maintain them because they don't track usage and some asshole prints out 3,000 pages of blank spreadsheet cells every other week.

We track them pretty regularly here but when shit breaks and I have to pay $300 for one of those repair kits because that specific brand of printer was only active for 3.7 hours before they made a new model, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Brother are the only ones I'll own at this point because they re-use toner styles and parts so replacing drums and rollers is ezpz.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh, also everyone outright refusing to learn how the printer's software or any printer for that matter actually works

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular

Clay tablets.

Calica wrote: »

Clay tablets.

the answer was with us all along*

*or since 4500BC or so.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    i prefer cave drawings myself

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Clay tablets.

*or since 4500BC or so.

Let's just tattoo things on people. Most efficient solution.
    When we run out of people, we can start with sheep or something. Cows maybe.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the thing about printers that really makes me laugh is that there's really only one advancement that anyone has found for them in twenty years, which is just putting a wi-fi module on them

you know, a well-understood, fairly reliable technology which, when stuck to a printer, suddenly becomes total dogshit

printers are such trash that they make other technology worse

I feel printers are proof of planned obsolescence. As they make them to break down within a certain time to create work in repairs and replacement

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Clay tablets.

*or since 4500BC or so.

Let's just tattoo things on people. Most efficient solution.
    When we run out of people, we can start with sheep or something. Cows maybe.

I mean shit interns have to be good for something, why not this

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Hey @Cello not sure this web seminar thing would be of interest to you but I stumbled across it as I was looking for CAD training.
    https://fusion360.autodesk.com/events
    Fusion 360 for Industrial Engineers.
    Likely lower level than you need, but there might be some neat info there? I'm not too sure. Just recalling the conversation you and tynic had.

Might be useful! I'll take a look. I haven't played with Fusion but I wanted to start now that I have a functional PC and can plink around with it.

Excited to finally get back to some personal projects!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited January 2020

Isn't that just a laser printer?

Or was that the joke?

Closer to old school faxes or thermal receipt printers. Laser printers essentially statically charge the paper to deposit the toner where it wants, then cooks it with the fuser to fix it in place.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Well, I completed a career first, the other day: I helped shape and send a show to Broadway.

I've been pretty quiet for the past few months because I've been hard at work on the Seattle staging of the brand spankin' new musical adaptation of Mrs. Doubtfire. Alongside some of the literal best of the best in the live entertainment business straight out of New York City, we successfully installed and ran a show that sold out our 2100 seat theater nearly every performance. Two days ago, we finished packing the whole thing up and sent it off to New York to be readied for its Broadway debut. It was literally one of the hardest and simultaneously one of the most satisfying and rewarding experiences of my career thus far. I'm even getting a little emotional thinking about it!

I got to be on the show crew because of seniority and luck; had it not been for me running a spotlight on the theater's earlier production of West Side Story in spring of last year, I likely wouldn't have been a part of this production at all! I even developed a running gag with the leading man of the show whereby when he'd finish his warm-up routine--running up and down every aisle of seats in the orchestra level, the mezzanine, and even the balcony, where my spotlight booth was located--I'd tell him a bad joke straight out of our very own SE++ Bad Joke thread and high five him. Eventually this developed into to me telling bad jokes to any and all cast members I ran into backstage during my time doing performance preset. This ritual was both adored and dreaded in equal measure.

So, if on some brisk evening in New York you find yourself at a showing of Mrs. Doubtfire, know that yours truly had a small part in turning it into the Tony-worthy show it has become. And if you see a man running through the rows in preparation for his performance that night, tell him a bad joke and let him know that Steve sends his regards from Seattle.

One of my cousins, who I'm close with, is a Broadway Stage Manager. There are like a dozen who play at her level and I've had the chance to swing through and be there for setting up of some things and then backstage during the running of it all. The skill and orchestration of the folks behind the curtain is unreal.

And if she ends up on the show in any capacity, I'll be sure she brings a joke to share.

Congrats, dude, it sounds like this was an awesome fucking experience. We shall raise a glass to you at the next SteveMoot.

I've got a sister who used to manage huge shows in NYC and now...doesn't. It's been a learning experience for her since she was used to the kind of budget and personnel there. Where she works now the people generally aren't as capable/motivated, and they have to scrounge for everything. But hey, she's not in NYC anymore, so it's not all bad. :P

As someone who's been doing this for ten years, I assure you that the show is the easy part. Getting it in place and taking it apart are the hard parts, and the shows are only getting bigger and bigger in spaces that will never increase in size. It's basically a reverse TARDIS situation.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We should try to cut corporate paper use anyway. I'd legislate to enforce it if possible tbh. It's so wasteful and environmentally destructive!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    We should try to cut corporate paper use anyway. I'd legislate to enforce it if possible tbh. It's so wasteful and environmentally destructive!

But it's so much nicer to leaf through a datasheet than to read it online *grumble*

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I have to keep three years of printed financial records in boxes in a closet off the parking garage. Printed off an ancient lexmark 2500.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's sad I know CAD from when I was taking college classes in high school from goofing around with it over the next couple of years.
    But I don't have the certification for it and other things I learned on my own. I know people probably got burned by taking people at their word before.

As a side I went for a ride on my POS bike {seriously those brakes are dangerousrszegtlnaaiu.png} So I went to a part of town I avoid because of the traffic
    The city got a sucker to buy one of their road bonds so a intersection of two major roads and did a road project they had scheduled since 2012. I am not going to take the bike lane in the street that's suicidal with how people drive
    It was sad I rode around the shopping area and could not find a bike rack so I had to hide it behind a dumpster locked to it. THe sad part is the city really is promoting get around by bike and how you can basically ride a bike most of the year
    I miss my Schwinn
    I know I make fun of how the shopping malls are less than 60% full so I don't know why they promote how easy it is to start a business when most are a fly by night deal

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Who even prints things? I can't remember the last time I printed anything that wasn't a return label for my wife or medical form for school

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Who even prints things? I can't remember the last time I printed anything that wasn't a return label for my wife or medical form for school

Nursing homes love paper.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the thing about printers that really makes me laugh is that there's really only one advancement that anyone has found for them in twenty years, which is just putting a wi-fi module on them

you know, a well-understood, fairly reliable technology which, when stuck to a printer, suddenly becomes total dogshit

printers are such trash that they make other technology worse

I've said it before but printers will be humanity's best defense against SkyNet.

oh h*ck
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Lawyers.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

I'm required by law to keep signed physical copies of all quality documents for 40 years or 25 years after we stop making the engine the documents cover, whichever is longer. We ship a couple dozen boxes of paperwork to Iron Mountain every week.

Edit: The FAA doesn't mess around. I've only heard of them digging through our archives once in the past 20 years but it did happen.

Kane Red Robe on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    State jobs are still slaves to the dead tree for the most part.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Halfway through my 2 day work week. I can power through this!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
This discussion has been closed.