As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I finished the Re-GZ Custom last night and posed it on an action base

It looks really good! Picture to follow maybe later when I get home and can hide some of the background junk in my apartment

I didn't try to transform it and I probably never will; I don't really care for the jet forms of most of the transformable suits and I think this one's is especially bad

I've never felt the Gundam designers were great at vehicle modes and I sorta wish they'd never caught that 80s wave of transforming mecha

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Shut up, it looks rad as heck.

Yeah, sorry, I'm not trying to shit-talk (I mean, I'm also a fan of Warcraft & Warhammer which are both chronic perpetrators of the cartoonish warmallet trope). Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans is definitely going for rule-of-cool with its designs, so the Gusion's weapon is fine. I was just sharing information for those who might be interested in that kind of stuff.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I'm not actually mad! It's absolutely ridiculous, but that's what I love about it.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    How dare you forget the Zock as chunky boi!
    zmwna127cmla.jpg

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That Gusion model is a chunky boi I'm considering now, and I have a friend who is obsessed with frogs that I need to show it to.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I have built the Gusion, it's a nice kit, but you do actually need to be careful with hammer handle if you do any dis-assembly/re-assembly stuff. It goes together a little weird and I could totally see myself snapping the dang thing off if I got careless, frustrated, or both.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I have built the Gusion, it's a nice kit, but you do actually need to be careful with hammer handle if you do any dis-assembly/re-assembly stuff. It goes together a little weird and I could totally see myself snapping the dang thing off if I got careless, frustrated, or both.

My brother broke his taking it out of the back mount. Not a fun thing to try and glue straight.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yo @Kanden the chubbiest Gundam is the Gusion, the best lil' hammerfrog
    6df77980jw1eykf6rp2euj20h40ci76f_800x.jpg?v=1569513792

The show he's from is a standalone alt universe thing that you don't need any prior knowledge for, and it's available on Netflix! Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. It's also my favorite, so I am biased.

The Gusion starts out as ultimate chonk Gundam, but it hits the gym really hard later in the series.
    Also gets into arts and crafts.
    IBO is kind of weird like that.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Hey, I need opinions.

While I have them out, I want to panel line one of my favorite Zoids: Berserk Fuhrer.

The body is a slight reddish/pinkish white that is super subtle but definitely noticeable when near any other white things. There is a lot of subtle detail that will really scream out once I panel line, though.

The question is... Do I go with black or gray panel lining? Thoughts?

Also the frame is pretty black also. I am wondering if I should panel line that too? It's pure black, unlike the dark gray of Gojulas. The only thing I can think that might work to create contrast is my brown panel lining, but I don't know if it will do much. Anyone have any advice there too?

jWZ9PDDh.jpg

cW4SCwPh.jpg

pN6J8n5h.jpg

Edit: God I wonder if I should wash my models before doing any water slides, for the older ones...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I wouldn't bother doing the frame.

Start with grey and if you don't like it you could always go back over with black.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Yeah, I'm just worried about going over it twice. Not sure why, as I know how to remove it and all. :)

Store just posted pre-order requests. My dealer was like "Man, I am so surprised by the price of the G40 Industral"... and I was like, how expensive was it? Then when he gave the price I just kind of laughed at how cheap it is, and how skewed my price views are now.

I need to look into the Real Grade Force Impulse Gundam. It looks cool, interesting wings, and it mentions a transform gimmick so I need to look into that.

There's also a cute SD Lupus Rex, that GP Rase Two-Ten, Something marked "Enemy Gundam," a Haro Loader, an RX-78-02 origin version, HG Gundam Marchosais, which looks cool but I tend to shy away from HGs.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    lUFCmma.jpg

box backdrop mostly to hide my wreck of an apartment

Grey Ghost on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Then when he gave the price I just kind of laughed at how cheap it is, and how skewed my price views are now.
    A guy at work does gunpla, and swears that anyone who buys anything bigger than an HG is a sucker.

I...didn't tell him I bought the Ex-S.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i vote for (thin) black panel lines bc that's true to the anime

uc3ufTB.png
    edited January 2020
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    [i.mg]https://i.imgur.com/lUFCmma.jpg[/img]

box backdrop mostly to hide my wreck of an apartment

I haven't used it much because lol wreck of an apartment too, but I did pick this up if I want to do really good pics of my models.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CX9S8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Athenor wrote: »
    Then when he gave the price I just kind of laughed at how cheap it is, and how skewed my price views are now.
    A guy at work does gunpla, and swears that anyone who buys anything bigger than an HG is a sucker.

I...didn't tell him I bought the Ex-S.

When baseline models are $100 and top of the line are... a lot more than that.. Yeah. Bit more.
    i vote for (thin) black panel lines bc that's true to the anime

It'll likely end up being the same style as the Gojulas - pour type then wiped down to make it thin. I like that oily look, and the smaller model is gonna make things pool. I probably will fill in gaps and such. I want to start right now but it's 11PM! :)

Edit: Panel lining the caps is gonna be a PITA though.

Athenor on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    For panel lining White parts, Grey is what you use if you want a more realistic shading, and Black is what you use if you want it to look more like it came out of a Manga.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    My markers are coming tonight, but the clippers aren't getting here til tomorrow. I wanna try to panel line this first one I'm doing. I'll probably screw it up but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't royally beef it if I just spent tonight panel lining the pieces while they're still on their runners. Should I wait till each piece is built first?

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    You can panel line while on the runner it just might end up getting in the way on some pieces and be careful not to snap a piece off when wiping them down.

steam_sig.png
    Getting in the way? Like it won't be seen after being built? I can live with that.

He means the runner may create difficult to reach spots.

There are definitely times when the runners can help or hurt. Like, if the piece is small or awkward, doing it on the runner is a great idea. But if the nubs are too close it might interfere. There are also times when it is good to assemble first so you get an idea what will be visible. In my big project, there are quite a few steps where I skipped the panel lining because I had done some dry fitting.

Don't worry about mistakes. As long as it isn't enamel based washes you can't hurt the model, and you can always clean up later.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The insanity option is to do what I do: panel line every single part, only to find out that much of your work is completely hidden by later armor panels.

The insanity option is to do what I do: panel line every single part, only to find out that much of your work is completely hidden by later armor panels.

... I've done that with 2 models so far... *cough*

Sure, but you know that panel lining goes all the way down to the sub frame assemblies, even if nobody else will ever notice.

Let's be honest, for the 99.99...% percent of the population that doesn't care about building model robots, the difference between panel lined or not is inconsequential.

Narrative Gundam A-Packs. Panel line an entire Gundam then put a bunch of armor over it.

steam_sig.png
    see317 wrote: »

Sure, but you know that panel lining goes all the way down to the sub frame assemblies, even if nobody else will ever notice.

Let's be honest, for the 99.99...% percent of the population that doesn't care about building model robots, the difference between panel lined or not is inconsequential.

Nah, you can easily tell the difference between an as-built, a panel lined/decalled, and a fully painted model. And panel lining/decalling is a low effort way to make your models look way better.

Awesome I just didn't want to royally screw up on my first one, but it seems that barring like smashing a piece to bits most stuff is fixable

The gray pour marker was the right choice. I'm seeing some weird stuff, like my cotton swab having a yellow tint to it, but that might be my imagination. It also helps to dust before using panel lining, but the pour type is just kinda clearing it off as it goes.

I forgot that while the gray type comes out super thick, it quickly fades as it starts to set. It's leaving behind a nice contrast and only a little bit of "dirty" from when I clean it up.

Some comparison and progress shots.

Xyrlxs9l.jpg

Ybk7IIDl.jpg

o2jLSfPl.jpg

LvSeiA6l.jpg

Ec37vfCl.jpg

RYuH1q4l.jpg

And the ZZ is done.

28e8jam2gnfk.jpg

Random trivia: The beam saber blade runner is from the PG Zeta Gundam and are long enough to reach the beam saber handles which means this guy has around 22 meter long beam sabers.

steam_sig.png
    They also use those beam sabers for the Gundam Narrative A-packs!

Man, the Ver. Ka needs waterslides so bad. I am jealous.

Heffling wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

Nah, you can easily tell the difference between an as-built, a panel lined/decalled, and a fully painted model. And panel lining/decalling is a low effort way to make your models look way better.

I'm not saying that you can't tell the difference. I've got panel lined kits and as-built kits and to my eyes the difference is night and day between them.
    I'm just saying that the majority of the people (those who don't build models as a hobby), don't care.

Sure, if you point out the panel lined details to a friend or a family member, they may nod appreciatively, but that's about it. And I get it. I get the same glazed eyes when my dad shows off the latest update to his model train table (he actually ran wires into a cave to power an HO scale camp fire). I know it's cool to him and took a lot of work, but I just don't care. I sound like an ass saying it, but... I don't have any way to finish this statement. I sound like an ass.

The details are for you the builder, and that small portion of your peer group that are also builders. For the rest of the world...?

edited January 2020
    Mostly the comment I get from family is "how do you have the patience for all those stickers/decals" 3 hours into applying them and I try not to look at them like i'm shell shocked

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Is the G40 getting a domestic release, or is that somehow import only?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it's not going to be in stores, if that's what you're asking

uc3ufTB.png
    Lanz wrote: »
    Is the G40 getting a domestic release, or is that somehow import only?

My store just put it up for pre-order. The USA Gundam Store has it for a May release. It's about $38 or so I wanna say?

Bluefin had a shipment. They took preorders for individuals which went out for delivery last week but it looks like that was it and now it is waiting for retailers to get their shipment. USAGundam got it for $34 + shipping use the code "Google10" for 10% off preorders.

steam_sig.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh my god, if you follow through to the site, there's a photo of the sprue for that model.

It's Hello-Kitty-face-shaped.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The site outlines these important bulletpoints:
    ■ Runner is Kitty face type
    ■ With apple parts and apple-shaped pedestal.
    ■ Kitty can also sit.
    Kitty can also sit!

I don't think the sprue is for the Hello Kitty gundam pictured.