As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chris Terrio, [Rise of Skywalker] writer, shops at Goop.com - open spoilers!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Also like

Rey not being part of an important family doesn't make it not the Skywalker Saga

Kylo is a Skywalker

Having the Saga end with the last Skywalker fallen to Darkness and a new era of Jedi not bound by legacies would be

Pretty fuckin good

I'm telling ya'll

End IX with Rey finally deciding to call her version of the Jedi "the Skywalkers"

It's a great way to secure their legacy in a way that isn't extraordinarily cheesy
    That is also extraordinarily cheesy but in a more enjoyable way

CYpGAPn.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah okay it is cheesy

But I like it

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was willing to bet money on Skywalkers ending up being a name of the new jedi order

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

lemme tell you about bloodlines I'm descended from Skywalkers.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Furthermore, I don't like that everybody just gets to be a force ghost now!!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Not Kylo!

NEVER KYLO

Kylo walking up to Qui-Gon in force heaven “Hey can you teach me that force ghost shit?”

“Nah kid I’m good”

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Qui Gon was basically the best Jedi

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Wait, are people upset she is a palpatine? I thought that was a fun twist there. I really don't care for anyone's reason for not liking it, i'm just surprised that's a sticking point. It seemed perfectly straightforward as soon as it was said and the backfill around it seemed more than workable.

People are upset because it's another case of a destined family of destiny being the only important ones, after TLJ was pretty explicit about repudiating that

I mean the core stories are literally the Skywalker saga. They're entirely about lineage. Like most stories about knights. The idea that lineage isn't important in a series where we've been following the exact same family from beginning to end for like almost 50 years of real life, and like 90 to 100 years of in movie time seems kinda far fetched.

If TLJ didn't exist, I'd agree

But that entire movie is about refuting the idea that every story needs to be about people from powerful families, and following it up with "actually, no, you do need to be Someone" made a lot of folks, myself included, extremely disappointed

TLJ: "but what if... different story?"
    ROS: "no, no, same story! always same! but bigger, dumber! doubling down!"

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Wait, are people upset she is a palpatine? I thought that was a fun twist there. I really don't care for anyone's reason for not liking it, i'm just surprised that's a sticking point. It seemed perfectly straightforward as soon as it was said and the backfill around it seemed more than workable.

People are upset because it's another case of a destined family of destiny being the only important ones, after TLJ was pretty explicit about repudiating that

I mean the core stories are literally the Skywalker saga. They're entirely about lineage. Like most stories about knights. The idea that lineage isn't important in a series where we've been following the exact same family from beginning to end for like almost 50 years of real life, and like 90 to 100 years of in movie time seems kinda far fetched.

okay but what if we told a different story

I mean that's what they're doing now in series like the mandalorian, but the big main trunk movies are classic fantasy knight stories with scifi fi set dressing.

The end boss being the lich version of evil wizard we've been dealing with since the beginning seems pretty straightforward as a conclusion.

Are all of you operating under the idea that they're looking to keep the main trunk movies of the setting going? Do you realize that there's probably not gonna be anymore episodes in the core star wars for like a while? Like this movie was more than anything saying goodbye to this main trunk story line. I highly doubt we see an episode 10 for at least a decade (if fandom has dropped off and they need to reinvigorate the IP)

Basically if your complaint is "we could tell other stories", congrats you're getting your wish 9 was as of right now the last main episode detailing the Skywalker saga. I'd bet money that Everything else is mandalorians (streaming series) and rogue ones (anthology films).

Like if we were about to start drilling into a 10,11,12 I could see using 7 8 9 as a means of transition to a new core narrative of the series. However 9 isn't a stepping stone into a new core narrative it's the closing of the narrative we've been watching since 1977.

Madican wrote: »
    Qui Gon sucks!

He just left Shmi and yanked Anakin because HEY HE'S THE CHOSEN ONE

CYpGAPn.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

He went to a planet where slavery was legal and decided "hey that's cool, I'll just take this one special boy though."

The jedi were wack.

I used to agree

But rewatching Episode I recently, he kinda sucks shit

He's not big on the Jedi and their rules, but he's still enough of a cop that, until it might benefit him, he doesn't give two shits about Anakin or his mom being enslaved because they happen to live outside of his jurisdiction

I mean that's what they're doing now in series like the mandalorian, but the big main trunk movies are classic fantasy knight stories with scifi fi set dressing.

The end boss being the lich version of evil wizard we've been dealing with since the beginning seems pretty straightforward as a conclusion.

Are all of you operating under the idea that they're looking to keep the main trunk movies of the setting going? Do you realize that there's probably not gonna be anymore episodes in the core star wars for like a while? Like this movie was more than anything saying goodbye to this main trunk story line. I highly doubt we see an episode 10 for at least a decade (if fandom has dropped off and they need to reinvigorate the IP)

Basically if your complaint is "we could tell other stories", congrats you're getting your wish 9 was as of right now the last main episode detailing the Skywalker saga. I'd bet money that Everything else is mandalorians (streaming series) and rogue ones (anthology films).

Like if we were about to start drilling into a 10,11,12 I could see using 7 8 9 as a means of transition to a new core narrative of the series. However 9 isn't a stepping stone into a new core narrative it's the closing of the narrative we've been watching since 1977.

The idea that episode 9 is a conclusion to a 9 part skywalker saga is something they made up last year for marketing purposes

PNk1Ml4.png
    Wow I can't believe I got Force ghosted

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I cannot tell you how disappointed I am that we didn't get Force Luke annoying the shit out of Kylo Ren.

I am

So disappointed.

Yeah I had never heard the term "The Skywalker Saga" until, like, the first RoS trailer

CYpGAPn.png
    edited January 2020
    Force Luke: Sup. Your helmets dumb.

Ben: Shut up go away.

Force Luke: You know, your grandfather had his face melted and needed his helmet to breath. What's your excuse? Don't want people to see you crying?

Ben: Oh my god.

Force Luke: Oh hey let me tell you about that time your mom and I kissed before we knew we were brother and sister haha it was totally fucked up, dude haha

Ben: Oh my god.

Juggernut on
    edited January 2020
    Yeah the prequel movies were mainly related to the original movies by way of recontextulizing the audiences ideas of the jedi and the old republic and were stories about how liberal democracies can fall to fascism instead of the originals stories about fighting that fascism despite great odds.

Pretending they were always meant to be one overarching narrative is silly, the prequels came out like 20 years after the fact and often if not contridict them at least sour the original movies. Like when Vader betrays the emperor and is redeemed? No, not buying it after seeing it implied that he murdered a bunch of children with his own hands.

The sequel trilogy was even being sold as a new narrative and a passing of the torch during the marketing for episode 7.

Tallahasseeriel on
    “Han didn’t even know what a parsec was”

“GET OOOUUTT”

Force Luke: Holy shit did you build this laser sword? It's all crackly and messed up what did you do?

Ben: It symbolizes my raw, bristling, animalistic rage.

Force Luke: You crossed the wiring on the emitter didn't you?

Ben: No god it's my rage. My raaaage.

Force Luke: haha you totally crossed the wiring on the emitter. You know I built my own lightsaber without anybody showing me how it's not that hard how did you mess it up this bad?

Ben: jesus christ

I could write these all day how did we end up with nothing?

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Also tros is a shitty wrap up to it's own trilogy let alone the entire saga!

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I dunno if I was sold on the whole lineage theme. Like, who's Schmi related to

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I could write these all day how did we end up with nothing?

This should be a twitter account, "Shit My Force Ghost Uncle Says"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    I legit might make a little comic or something about this. Just 3 panels of Force Luke dunking on his fuck boy nephew.

Like we deserved.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I legit might make a little comic or something about this. Just 3 panels of Force Luke dunking on his fuck boy nephew.

Like we deserved.

This has deep meme potential Juggs, DO IT.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Making anakin Skywalker into actual space Jesus was stupid. Like, he shouldn't have even been that special among the jedi... That way it doesn't undermine luke's story as much, being a nobody from a moisture farm still instead of a son of the most biggest power level jedi in the galaxy.

In episode 4, luke inheritied his skills from his father, a great jedi and the best pilot in the galaxy.

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    In episode 4, luke inheritied his skills from his father, a great jedi and the best pilot in the galaxy.

That's right. He tried spinning.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »

That's right. He tried spinning.

its a good trick!

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Still the reveal as it was written in the ot worked because Darth Vader was evil not just because he was particularly powerful and him being powerful in the pt seemed like silly nonsense, but then he didn't ever really seem to actually be as powerful as implied in ep 1...

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    There’s a big gap between:

“I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father.”

and

“You were the Chosen One!”

edited January 2020
    The whole Chosen One thing was almost worth it for Ewan McGregor's delivery in that last scene.

Juggernut on
    Fuck just hurry up and gimme that Ewan McGregor Obi-wan show

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

He went to a planet where slavery was legal and decided "hey that's cool, I'll just take this one special boy though."

The jedi were wack.

Yeah, that's why I said he was the best Jedi.

That bar is not very high off the ground

• WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Can it be an Ewan McGregor Obi-wan show where he helps aliens find a dream home they can afford?

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
    I really hope that the Obi-Wan show has a lot of Obi-Wan reckoning with just how bad he, and the Jedi as an institution, fucked up.

Like I don't need full on surly drunken asshole Logan style Obi-Wan but

Somewhere in that vein, please

CYpGAPn.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I often find that condescension does wonders for bringing people around to one's way of thinking, kudos.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I mean if you agree with the premise that there are currently more bad Star Wars movies than good ones, then Episode 9 is clearly the most respectful capstone to the overall product of the Skywalker Saga

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG