As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Not feeling the dialogue in that Doom trailer.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah, the talking and cutscenes shown in the trailer felt like mediocre game material.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    doom does not give a shit about the story

oh it's there, but the doom slayer wants to kill more demons

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Also, poor @Brolo what is he going to do in February.

Brolo is gonna have to make and release a game in February.

Nice, exciting that we're getting Anthem 2 already.

fuck fuck

how much time do I have left

okay here we go

5qbglyutkvet.jpg

so proud of my team and what we put together here at bioware toronto

it took a lot of work, hard work and dedication but it's all worth it

but the real praise goes out to you guys, the Gamers

thank you for believing in Anthem 2 and what it stands for

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    10/10 would scroll again

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    holy shit brolo

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    kime wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I love me some dungeon of the endless like a lot

Any hints as to which characters make for a good combination, or strategies to focus on with resource development/research/level gain?

lord no i suck at it so bad

The closest I've got to winning (and I lost just from messing up execution), I've liked: someone to kill stuff, someone to run fast, two operators. Industry is usually first to prioritize, and Food is the biggest late-game resource. For Science, I usually research the main resource generator upgrades first, then a shooting thing or defense thing and upgrade those.

I'm not particularly good either, but that seems like a decently good archetype?

Max is going to be your best all-rounder for a long time. Pair him with a decent operator like Rakya or Josh and he'll be a good door opener throughout the game. The extra dust he gets from opening doors can be a lifesaver. And if you recruit someone later on who is only a runner, like Sara, he can retire to the back lines and operate a module while still providing bonus science on every door.

The two modules I prioritize over everything else are the Shop and the Neurostun Module. Dust gets extremely scarce on the upper levels, and you probably won't make it without a high-wit operator and a couple of Mechanical Friends generating dust on a Shop. Neurostun Modules slow monsters down a bunch after a couple of upgrades and act as a huge force multiplier for your other minor modules in long rooms.

The nice thing is that just about every weapon is valuable if you upgrade it a couple of times. Making ridiculous kill rooms out of Neurostuns and Claymoars is just as viable as creating a monster fight club using multiple rooms of Pepper Spray. Although you'll always want a backup plan, since every weapon also has a monster that counters it (usually those goddamn Crystal Bulldozers.)

The main thing is to prioritize upgrading the minor modules you have over unlocking new ones. The damage potential of any level 4 module is ridiculous compared to the level 1 variety. If you've already got a couple of solid level 2 and 3 weapons, don't be afraid to spend a little science to reset your research choices instead of wasting more science and turns researching something you don't need.

Finally, if you set up a good kill room right before you hit a dead end, make sure to leave a couple of rooms dark on the other side of it. Killing monsters sometimes drops dust, even if you have to send your runner in every few doors to collect it.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    @Brolo holy hell.

Put this on Steam immediately.

I regret to inform you that you jumped the space-gun a little bit by releasing this masterpiece in January when the whole point of this exercise was to release the game in February, but I gotchu; I didn't fake going to a non-existent Product Management school for nothing.

Check this out:
    - We crank out some bullshit DLC, probably a couple of different hat.jpgs, whatever.
    - Offer a Season Pass for $69.99 - access to all DLCs, every cosmetic item, at-will respeccing into .png, and the soundtrack.mid.
    - Push all that stuff out before the end of January.

Then, in February, we satisfy our release-the-game-in-February criteria by putting out the GOTY edition that has all that stuff plus a cosmetic chicken.gif for $39.99. Existing owners can upgrade for $29.99.

• Options
    The DLC should be easy because we already have the first one as on-JPG DLC that was developed in parallel with the game.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    not to interrupt these dunks, but has anthem got itself into a worthwhile state yet?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Nope! Reporting in November indicated that Bioware had internally started on an overhaul they were calling Anthem 2.0, with the aims of being a No Man's Sky Next/Destiny The Taken King level uprade to the game.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    not to interrupt these dunks, but has anthem got itself into a worthwhile state yet?

in late november there was talk of a total overhaul coming to the game

at the same time more senior members have left the team and bioware has largely abandoned its content update schedule

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    well alright then, thank you

• Options
    anthem is fun to play for about an hour, then the cracks appear everywhere

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I was reasonably enjoying anthem for the hour or so while the more bizarre choices it made was more bemusing than offensive. Why did I choose my character's face when you literally never see my character? Why is the only place you see other players in the hub -- in an always-online game -- in this tiny, walled-off section of the game? Why are the dialogue choices lame and seemingly inconsequential to anything?

And then playing more, those choices get more and more in your face. Why the hell do I need to go back to base to sort through all this loot trash? Why are all the missions the same boring shit?

And then the game made me do all these stupid fuckin chores to progress through the story. People then said they were no big deal since you should have done most of it by that point, but those people are fuckin liars because I had less than a third done and they were busywork, legitimately as if the game was wasting my time. And then I stopped before my EA sub charged again.

Later on, the Kotaku expose would confirm that roadblock literally WAS to waste your time to stop you from going too fast through the game, and never before had something made me retroactively hate the game to an irrational degree like when I read that.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Mainlined "The Council" which was a bit of a hidden gem from a few years back - a mystery RPG / story game where you try to uncover several mysteries on an island with a bunch of famous historical characters. The plot is insane but I had a lot of fun with it as it's pulpy with a whole fuckton of choices and RPG stats that really feel like it affects the outcome. It demonstrates a deep love of art history and political stuff that makes it feel a little more culturally rich - I took a lot of enjoyment simply walking around and identifying famous works of art.

Recommended for that niche fan of both art history and choice-heavy RPGs who don't mind some pulpy fun.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    the council is the very definition of jank b-game with tremendous heart and neat ideas

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I enjoyed The Council's early portions on its positive qualities. By the end I was mostly enjoying how bat-shit crazy they went with their plot. The actual execution gets very very messy.
    I remember having to tell someone else desperately the whole plot of that game so I could exorcise it from my mind. It's like the third of episode of Dracula.
    I do wish more adventure games would do stuff like taking numbery rpg stats and cram them into conversational struggles.
    Actually I guess Disco Elysium did that too. But The Council tried some cool stuff and did it in their own way that was pretty slick to start, and then it took acid (or ran out of budget).

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Humble Bundle:
    uraxoxsw670v.jpg

$1:
    • Niche - a genetics survival game
    • MagiCat
    • Evergarden

BTA:
    • Equilinox
    • Ultimate Chicken Horse
    • Samorost 3

$10:
    • Stardew Valley

Samorost 3 is a delightful little adventure game where all the achievements are finding hidden sounds which then unlock on a remix page allowing you to make music from the sounds of a squeaky door, a sleepy space pig, and a crooning alien bird choir.

It also lets you know that all those bug noises we hear are just them rocking the fuck out all the time.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nope! Reporting in November indicated that Bioware had internally started on an overhaul they were calling Anthem 2.0, with the aims of being a No Man's Sky Next/Destiny The Taken King level uprade to the game.

Can't wait to try playing Anthem: A Realm Reborn

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Can't wait to try playing Anthem: A Realm Reborn

"Try" doing a lot of very subtle work in this sentence

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

But both those games sold well enough early on to actually justify development?

• Options
    EA NEEDS A LIVE PLATFORM GAME DAMMIT

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think Anthem did relatively well, sales wise. If it truly bombed, I think they'd be more likely to just let it drop.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

does fifa not count?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

does fifa not count?

APEX LEGENDS DOES NOT COUNT
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I think Anthem did relatively well, sales wise. If it truly bombed, I think they'd be more likely to just let it drop.

The only thing we know is that it both did not meet sales targets, and was the 5th best selling game of 2019.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    anthem sold well but did not hit it's projection of 6 million units because fucking lmao

also reading the wiki showed me that anthem won the best pc game award from the Game Critics Awards in 2018 and that is the funniest thing I've read in days

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Slay the Spire's 2.0 patch is out: https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/1708485147042638404

Adds a new character, The Watcher, along with a bunch of new potions, relics, and balance changes/bug fixes, and QOL features including adding a new Peek feature that allows you to see the cards you can get from Potions/effects that give you them.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Anthem up until I beat the game and realized there wasn't really anything to do after the story.

The combat and just flying around was a blast though. I'm at least interested in checking it out after whatever the 2.0 update winds up being.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    *huff puff* Toss a coin to your Watcher did I do it everyone am I the first did I make it?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The Watcher is a lot of fun and totally different from the other three in some exciting ways.

They've also, in the process of working on the Watcher, revised a number of cards for the other classes and added a bunch of relics and potions and such. It's a good time for slaying spires.

• Options
    maybe a StS update is what I need to draw myself away from playing borderlands 3

i... i do not like how much time I've spent playing this game

but it does the shooty shoot so good

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I enjoyed Anthem up until I beat the game and realized there wasn't really anything to do after the story.

The combat and just flying around was a blast though. I'm at least interested in checking it out after whatever the 2.0 update winds up being.

This is pretty much where I was but also the open world is a total joke and looking back on it the game basically feels like a proof of concept

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Man that Doom Eternal trailer did nothing for me and I loved nuDoom.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Man that Doom Eternal trailer did nothing for me and I loved nuDoom.

I am the exact opposite. Give me magic sword wielding cyber demon eviscerating Doom Slayer. If I can end up killing the Devil and hopefully even God then I'll be satisfied.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for nuHeretic

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for nuHeretic

And nuHexen!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    maybe a StS update is what I need to draw myself away from playing borderlands 3

Yeah I’m legit kinda annoyed it’s a pretty good game

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Unfortunately Heretic and Hexen were Ravensoft games, who are now owned by Activision and stuck in the layer of hell that is maintaining CoD Online and remastering other old CoDs.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

Yeah I’m legit kinda annoyed it’s a pretty good game
    And it'll finally launch on Steam in April, just in time to get steamrolled by everything else that month.

Assuming GB actually wants to release it on anything other than Epic after their exclusivity deal ends.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.