As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    This is all good info. Thanks everyone.

I play Nighthaunt and own several thousand points.

They aren't SUPER competitive right now, but are fun, thematic, and have terrific models. It's just that they were an early 2nd edition book, and came out the gate a little week. Similar to Deathguard, GW seemed to overestimate how resilient Nighthaunt were.

A Vampire Lord helps out IMMENSELY with keeping their units healthy, and a Mournghul also gives them a good shot in the arm.

nighthaunt CAN be competitive if you make a very cheesey list, but that list is very vulnerable to mortal wound spam and can have trouble with hordes

but yes absolutely get a mournghul and vamp lord if you intend to play them

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

They aren't SUPER competitive right now, but are fun, thematic, and have terrific models. It's just that they were an early 2nd edition book, and came out the gate a little week. Similar to Deathguard, GW seemed to overestimate how resilient Nighthaunt were.

A Vampire Lord helps out IMMENSELY with keeping their units healthy, and a Mournghul also gives them a good shot in the arm.

I really like the look of Nighthaunts, but I don't know if I have it in my heard to paint another hoard army.

But I really like the look of the models. :lol:

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

I really like the look of Nighthaunts, but I don't know if I have it in my heard to paint another hoard army.

Run spirit hosts instead

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Run spirit hosts instead

The other advantage is they are easy to paint and almost always still look great. So it's an easy horde army.

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Run spirit hosts instead

The other advantage is they are easy to paint and almost always still look great. So it's an easy horde army.

you can mass airbrush the whole army pretty much

just hand-painting details and metal bits and whatnot

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Run spirit hosts instead

you can mass airbrush the whole army pretty much

just hand-painting details and metal bits and whatnot

If you're especially lazy, you can paint the whole model (including weapons and other bits) ghostly. Ghost carrying a ghost axe vs ghost carrying a non-ghost axe…

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    What are spirit hosts?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    You can also run a Hexwraith heavy nighthaunt list if you want to avoid large horde units, though it's a lot more technical in how it plays (lots of knowing when to retreat and teleport out of combat rather than relying on relatively weak combat punch, etc.) But then again most competitive Nighthaunt lists are more on the tricksy side, but to be honest there isn't too much point in trying to chase what's strong in the meta with how games workshop likes to operate at present, they make semi-regular balance updates, and for the most part even the 'weak' armies in AoS aren't so far behind the pack that they're non-starters. So I'd mostly look at what sort of model ranges really speak to you and that you think you'd enjoy painting.

• Options
    You can also run a Hexwraith heavy nighthaunt list if you want to avoid large horde units, though it's a lot more technical in how it plays (lots of knowing when to retreat and teleport out of combat rather than relying on relatively weak combat punch, etc.) But then again most competitive Nighthaunt lists are more on the tricksy side, but to be honest there isn't too much point in trying to chase what's strong in the meta with how games workshop likes to operate at present, they make semi-regular balance updates, and for the most part even the 'weak' armies in AoS aren't so far behind the pack that they're non-starters. So I'd mostly look at what sort of model ranges really speak to you and that you think you'd enjoy painting.

with them straight nerfing monks and hedonites they have showed that they're willing to do more than point adjustments too

aos is in a pretty good place right now, and while they're are stronger armies, you regularly see all sorts of lists in top 16s that aren't 'meta'

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    For sure, there are a few outliers at both ends of the scale, but a lot of the books sit in a pretty comfortable middle range, like, whilst looking at the new Tzeentch book I'm expecting it to do big numbers in tournament play, but if it's too far out of whack I'm also fully expecting it to get reigned in fairly promptly like Slaanesh before it.

And of course none of that matters too much outside of the hardcore competitive play, the more casual the environment the number of armies and lists which can play well only increases.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does AoS have a way to make custom heroes like the 2018 chapter approved for 40K?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does AoS have a way to make custom heroes like the 2018 chapter approved for 40K?

no

heroes are extremely limited in their choices

• Options
    Yeah AoS isn't big on custom wargear. You may get a second weapon option on some warscrolls and it doesn't cost extra points if you can mix and match.

Some units like chaos warriors (post FAQ) can't mix weapons so you get 3 choices but everyone in the squad must use that weapon.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

no

I almost kind of prefer this. It means a hero is a specific playing piece that does X ability. You don't get the 40k problem of this hero from this book, with X warlord trait from a second book, using Y equipment from the index. A dude just does what he does.

• Options
    Flipping through warscrolls and army lists, I actually have enough 40k daemon models to run a small Tzeentch or Slaanesh army already, so that's cool.

Are tzaangor based Beasts of Chaos armies at all worth playing? I like the idea of being able to expand my Thousand Sons army while building an AoS army.

Barring that I'm probably gonna buy some Nighthaunts. Looking more closely at the individual models they seem very airbrush friendly.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

no

I almost kind of prefer this. It means a hero is a specific playing piece that does X ability. You don't get the 40k problem of this hero from this book, with X warlord trait from a second book, using Y equipment from the index. A dude just does what he does.
    I can definitely appreciate the AoS approach to very limited customization. It streamlines a lot of play and makes your approach to enemy armies a lot more deterministic.

• Options
    Yea, the simplicity of the AoS hero stuff is nice, I just had a lot of fun with the chapter approved hero creator for 40k. I don't think they could be used in anything but casual play.

Are the apoc movement trays good for AoS? I'm looking at 100 clanrats and 80 plague monks and I was looking for an easy way to move them around on the table.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think the apoc trays are really too shallow and flimsy to actually work very well as movement trays. Models pop out of them constantly.
    You want something with a bit of weight and some height to keep the bases locked in, like any of the other zillion 3rd party movement trays.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    McGibs wrote: »
    I think the apoc trays are really too shallow and flimsy to actually work very well as movement trays. Models pop out of them constantly.
    You want something with a bit of weight and some height to keep the bases locked in, like any of the other zillion 3rd party movement trays.

Also probably cheaper to go third party. Mostly I see MDF movement trays but I always feel a bit unsure on those.

If I get any I'll want to paint them so they match the bases.

Stragint on

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I just use the Apoc trays for my termagants and hormogaunts as when you playing a swarm it makes it far easier to move them around
    I have yet to have a model pop out I have had a few get stuck or fight me to remove them

• Options
    Find someone with a 3d printer... I've got a buttload of 3d printed movement trays that work great and cost like 3 cents a piece to print.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Also probably cheaper to go third party. Mostly I see MDF movement trays but I always feel a bit unsure on those.

You can get MDF ones pretty cheap online, if you can find someone to do it locally in a shop it will be cheaper. If you know someone with a 3d printer, there are a ton of templates out there they could print pretty inexpensively too. the main issue I run into with MDF movement trays, is they don't really jam the spaces together, and basically keep models rank an file, which is the opposite point of switching to circle bases in the first place. If a base is 1 inch, for every 2 you can fit to an enemy model, 1 can fit into range behind them. A lot of movement trays ignore this, or don't have circular rims and it bugs the hell out of me. I'm lucky enough to have a printer, so I printed in sets of 5 holders so terrain wouldnt be as much of an issue, and when you pile in you don't have to unstack a bunch of guys at a time.

spoiler for visual:
    NT4wtgY.png

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Perusing various rulesets and warscrolls…. Summoning units in AOS, for a lot of armies, just requires spending points (ie: corruption pts for maggotkin), having room in your roster, and not a dice roll.

The unit you're summoning still needs to be within the points available for your roster though, correct? So I can deploy 1700 points worth of models and keep 300 in reserve and summon whatever I have points for without those models being predetermined in my army list?

Can you summon units back to the table that have been destroyed? I assume no? Like a great unclean one dying doesn't free up his point cost in my roster to summon a new one. I would still only have 300 points worth of room to summon more stuff per the above example?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Perusing various rulesets and warscrolls…. Summoning units in AOS, for a lot of armies, just requires spending points (ie: corruption pts for maggotkin), having room in your roster, and not a dice roll.

The unit you're summoning still needs to be within the points available for your roster though, correct? So I can deploy 1700 points worth of models and keep 300 in reserve and summon whatever I have points for without those models being predetermined in my army list?

Can you summon units back to the table that have been destroyed? I assume no? Like a great unclean one dying doesn't free up his point cost in my roster to summon a new one. I would still only have 300 points worth of room to summon more stuff per the above example?

You’re thinking of 40k.

Summoned units in AoS don’t take up any points at all. Yes this does mean that you can bring a 2k army, then summon in 500 points more for a 2500point army on the table.

This is a balanced out by summoning being much more complicated in AoS, normally being a reward for playing in a particular way.

Edit: This means often your opponent can play around your summoning, shutting it off.

A good example is gloomspites. They can use the Loonshrine to summon killed units of Stabbas and shootas back onto the table (at half strength). You can prevent this by simply not killing the units. Five goblins left in the squad? You’re better of just retreating and leaving them be.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I want the Slaves to Darkness starter pack, but I've heard the Knights with shields are bad?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2020

You’re thinking of 40k.

Summoned units in AoS don’t take up any points at all. Yes this does mean that you can being a 2k army, then summon in 500 points more for a 2500point army on the table.

This is a balanced out by summoning being much more complicated in AoS, normally being a reward for playing in a particular way.

Edit: This means often your opponent can play around your summoning, shutting it off.

A good example is gloomspites. They can use the Loonshrine to summon killed units of Stabbas and shootas back onto the table (at half strength). You can prevent this by simply not killing the units. Five goblins left in the squad? You’re better of just retreating and leaving them be.

That's amazing!

The more I read about AoS, the more I want the AoS rules team to balance 40k

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

You can get MDF ones pretty cheap online, if you can find someone to do it locally in a shop it will be cheaper. If you know someone with a 3d printer, there are a ton of templates out there they could print pretty inexpensively too. the main issue I run into with MDF movement trays, is they don't really jam the spaces together, and basically keep models rank an file, which is the opposite point of switching to circle bases in the first place. If a base is 1 inch, for every 2 you can fit to an enemy model, 1 can fit into range behind them. A lot of movement trays ignore this, or don't have circular rims and it bugs the hell out of me. I'm lucky enough to have a printer, so I printed in sets of 5 holders so terrain wouldnt be as much of an issue, and when you pile in you don't have to unstack a bunch of guys at a time.

spoiler for visual:
    NT4wtgY.png

I think that trying to get a movement tray to fit close combat needs, with all the variables in weapon ranges and enemy formation and the piling in moves etc, is such an impossible task that the general plan is to abandon the trays as soon as battle lines meet. When traversing the field I think you'd you usually want the tray to keep the models spaced out to maximise footprint and thus area of control on the table.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Personally I have a whole bunch of movement trays left from War of the Ring (you wanna talk about GW balance? Oh bot that game was a mess), and they work perfectly fine for AoS. Abandoning movement trays when you get into combat is probably the right call though.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Flipping through warscrolls and army lists, I actually have enough 40k daemon models to run a small Tzeentch or Slaanesh army already, so that's cool.

Are tzaangor based Beasts of Chaos armies at all worth playing? I like the idea of being able to expand my Thousand Sons army while building an AoS army.

Barring that I'm probably gonna buy some Nighthaunts. Looking more closely at the individual models they seem very airbrush friendly.

You said you had tzeentch daemons? Well Tzaangors also work in the Tzeentch army not just beasts of chaos. So you have a larger tzeentch army than you thought.

In AoS the mono God armies aren't just daemons (excepting Slaanesh?). They include mortals that worship said God and the daemons in a mixed army

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I want the Slaves to Darkness starter pack, but I've heard the Knights with shields are bad?

Are you thinking lances? Chaos Knights always have shields.

Lances are honestly fine you just gotta play around the fact you always want to be charging with them. Also if you really wanted you could convert them to what are functionally hand weapons or ensorcelled weapons.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

You’re thinking of 40k.

Summoned units in AoS don’t take up any points at all. Yes this does mean that you can being a 2k army, then summon in 500 points more for a 2500point army on the table.

That's amazing!

The chaos factions have appropriately flavorful rules. Khorne gets summoning points when a unit dies (... I think, don't have that book), Tzeentch gets points when a spell is cast, no matter who casts it.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

You’re thinking of 40k.

That's amazing!

Recent story stuff is leading many to suspect endless spells are coming to 40k

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Aw, but the Warhammer Community guys told us at the NovaOpen that there weren't going to be endless spells in 40k.

• Options
    Now, so far all the aelvan god adjacent models have been designed to be at eye level with one another (Alarielle, Morathi, and the Eidolons) is Teclis going to buck this trend and just be regular sized, or is he gonna be standing on some good old traditional swirly magic stuff, or his brother's shoulders? Place your bets now!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Now, so far all the aelvan god adjacent models have been designed to be at eye level with one another (Alarielle, Morathi, and the Eidolons) is Teclis going to buck this trend and just be regular sized, or is he gonna be standing on some good old traditional swirly magic stuff, or his brother's shoulders? Place your bets now!

Based on the artwork, he's held aloft by his massive ego and disdain of the rest of us.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Star dragon probably?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Judging from artwork and the teaser vid, I guess he's just a guy with no mount. Probably floating on some swirls and or landscape.

Also you can clearly see that he's a God of high elves. He's got the biggest hat of them all.

• Options
    Why did carrion empire have to be so limited? I want that warlock.

I finished building the first 40 plague monks. Working on the ones with staves now.

I decided to do all the cloth and armor in fluorescent colors with highlights using complimentary fluorescent colors and then I'm gonna do all the metal bits and weapons in color shift paints. This should look interesting.

This discussion has been closed.