As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Gov. DeSantis Has Criminal Disregard For Florida Sports Fans

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »
    Hate when it ends on the refs. Seahawks had lots of opportunities, but it leaves such a bad taste to have such a clear fuckup.

Eh given the yardage at worst packers would have needed an inch or two and where they were on the field they likely would have gone for it on fourth down so I doubt it matters much. One thing to note though is the yellow line on TV is not the official yard marker so the refs were watching the actual yard markers which was much closer to the spot. It was a judgement call but given how shielded the carry was from all angles it was pretty close one way or the other.

It’s not really worth getting heated over, but I watched all the replays. The side view from the marker had basically the top of his helmet at the marker when he hit the ground. Unless the ball was right in front of his face he was just short.

And even though I agree the packers probably get the first on the next down, it just irks me when games end on a ref error instead of actual play. Anyways the packers definitely earned that win. Can’t really complain too much.

I saw a good view online that showed the yellow line and someone had drawn an orange line where the actual markers were. He was over.

My issue is that the ball was spotted way too far past the first down marker. Look at where the line judge is running out to place the ball:

oei133wbmail.jpg

And look where Graham landed:

z9lwvbayc432.jpg

They should have changed where the ball was placed and measured. It was definitely not placed in the correct spot. It was iffy about if it was far enough, but the ball placement by that line judge was way wrong.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Hate when it ends on the refs. Seahawks had lots of opportunities, but it leaves such a bad taste to have such a clear fuckup.

Eh given the yardage at worst packers would have needed an inch or two and where they were on the field they likely would have gone for it on fourth down so I doubt it matters much. One thing to note though is the yellow line on TV is not the official yard marker so the refs were watching the actual yard markers which was much closer to the spot. It was a judgement call but given how shielded the carry was from all angles it was pretty close one way or the other.

It’s not really worth getting heated over, but I watched all the replays. The side view from the marker had basically the top of his helmet at the marker when he hit the ground. Unless the ball was right in front of his face he was just short.

And even though I agree the packers probably get the first on the next down, it just irks me when games end on a ref error instead of actual play. Anyways the packers definitely earned that win. Can’t really complain too much.

I saw a good view online that showed the yellow line and someone had drawn an orange line where the actual markers were. He was over.

My issue is that the ball was spotted way too far past the first down marker. Look at where the line judge is running out to place the ball:

oei133wbmail.jpg

z9lwvbayc432.jpg

They should have changed where the ball was placed and measured. It was definitely not placed in the correct spot. It was iffy about if it was far enough, but the ball placement by that line judge was way wrong.

The correct spot of that ball still looks like a clean first down. Like uncontroversially.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    RedTide wrote: »

oei133wbmail.jpg

z9lwvbayc432.jpg

The correct spot of that ball still looks like a clean first down. Like uncontroversially.

I mean, sure maybe? But at least respot the ball and then measure. That would probably have solved most of the controversy.

But he was definitely not a half yard past the 36 like Clete Blakeman spotted it at.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    That is a pretty good pic showing the difference between the actual yard marker and the yellow line. The yellow line is on the opposite side of the yard tic mark from where the actual down marker is.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    That is a pretty good pic showing the difference between the actual yard marker and the yellow line. The yellow line is on the opposite side of the yard tic mark from where the actual down marker is.
    The actual yard marker was about a a quarter yard closer, and that's a pretty big difference in something like this.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The Seahawks could have won this game but didn’t. Packers deserved it.

My toes are still sore from being numb for so long and I was getting made fun of in the stands for being a pansy ass New Yorker. Lambeau’s great.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

oei133wbmail.jpg

z9lwvbayc432.jpg

If you look at the video there is a big streak on the grass where his elbow comes down and looking at the marker it looks to be juust i front of it. Which makes it a first down since the ball would have had to be in front of his elbow.

Well i feel better now about how it ended then.

Edit: The footage with the divot

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Er6D2fGjBBeZf2pZ4jLGUz10pVg=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19596856/Graham_02.gif

edited for image size

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Seems like the ball should be at the 36 yard line, first down is just before that. Easy call.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Is the top of the screen the official marker? If the yellow line is based on the official sticks, it's probably closer to correct than the one we can see in that shot.

I thought he was short but it's far from egregious and it only would have given Seattle one last shot assuming GB didn't convert 4th an inches.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Stefanski was hired because he’s an Ivy League grad like the “hiring manager” DePodesta and is an analytics guy willing to have geeks tell him when to go for it on 4th down

Stefanski’s offensive scheme sucks - Dalvin Cook somehow was able to convert runs on 2nd and long (a very common situation for the Vices) to positive EPA plays at a non-sustainable rate this year

Hopefully he can use his Penn learning and excel spreadsheets to make the Browns commit far fewer penalties and get Baker’s head out of his ass

But chances are we’re talking about yet another Browns HC a year from now

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I'm with Davante on this one.
    549a3rfj6yqn.jpg

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Stephanski got hired because he was probably the only one who was perfectly fine to get bent over by ownership.
    As explained by Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository, new Browns coach Kevin Stefanski showed during his interview a willingness to yield to certain expectations of part-time chief strategy office Paul DePodesta, including having someone from the analytics group wearing a headset and having access to the coaching staff on game days. Stefanski also agreed to owner Jimmy Haslam’s desire to engage in hours-long meetings with his head coach the day after games.

Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland added that the front office expects the head coach to “turn in game plans to the owner and analytics department by Friday, and to attend an end-of-week analytics meeting to discuss their plan.”

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Stephanski got hired because he was probably the only one who was perfectly fine to get bent over by ownership.
    As explained by Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository, new Browns coach Kevin Stefanski showed during his interview a willingness to yield to certain expectations of part-time chief strategy office Paul DePodesta, including having someone from the analytics group wearing a headset and having access to the coaching staff on game days. Stefanski also agreed to owner Jimmy Haslam’s desire to engage in hours-long meetings with his head coach the day after games.

Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland added that the front office expects the head coach to “turn in game plans to the owner and analytics department by Friday, and to attend an end-of-week analytics meeting to discuss their plan.”

You know I always hear about ownership meddling in the running of franchises on the field, but this is like next level stuff. I don't think even Jerry Jones is quite that blatant.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So

Haslem hasn’t been a “medler” before (other than the Manziel pick)- he’s just been both extraordinarily bad at hiring and bad at culture/organization (these are problems we saw with his Flying J/FBI thing, too)

But I guess when you’re so shitty you need to do something different, and “git gud” isn’t an option for this knucklehead, so neurosis and paranoia win out in the form of micro-managing. This is sure to end well.

• Options
    I mean the obvious answer is hire someone good to run the franchise while your name gets stamped on the checks, but...

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I mean the obvious answer is hire someone good to run the franchise while your name gets stamped on the checks, but...

The Browns hired Belichick back in the day. Of course when he was finished there, the team both did not exist and then proceeded to get much better at the same time.

What I am saying is that this strategy doesn’t work in Cleveland. Zany is probably their only option.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I thought we weren't talking about Jerry Jones.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »

You know I always hear about ownership meddling in the running of franchises on the field, but this is like next level stuff. I don't think even Jerry Jones is quite that blatant.

At least Jerrah managed to create success. Granted, he's been coasting on his near immediate 3 Superbowls for a quarter of a century now, but I can understand his ego thinking he can do it again.

What's Haslam done to think he's got that cache? 8 consecutive losing seasons (including a 3 year 4-44 period, capped off with the Imperfect Season). And would have finished last in the Division every year, if not for the Bengals slow motion self destruction over the past 17 months.

There's no way this works out. Either Stefanski is going to be a Haslam bootlick, and not going to be respected, or he's going to rebel and this is going to play out in the media, and the franchise melts down due to "Browns in disarray!".

It's truly amazing that in a league that's got so much parity, that a franchise can be this consistently bad at things. You'ld think that occasionally, they'd fluke into doing something good.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Man I remember the beginning of the season when everyone from Cleveland was predicting a SB run. And then they got hit with the grim reality that they are still the Browns no matter how excited everyone got about a few offseason pickups.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, I feel like this just conclusively shows they're never going to get away from the past unless the entire organization is jettisoned. The NFL should find new a owner for the Browns who'll stay out of the HC & GM's way (or hell, set up something like Green Bay), and when Belichick or Reid retires, hire them as a consultant for a few years to oversee a complete restructuring of the organization. That's never gonna happen, but I feel like it would take that level of intervention.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel like this just conclusively shows they're never going to get away from the past unless the entire organization is jettisoned. The NFL should find new a owner for the Browns who'll stay out of the HC & GM's way (or hell, set up something like Green Bay), and when Belichick or Reid retires, hire them as a consultant for a few years to oversee a complete restructuring of the organization. That's never gonna happen, but I feel like it would take that level of intervention.

They tried this with Mike Holmgren

I think Holmgren was the first person Haslem fired, actually...

Edit: yep! Haslem took ownership on 10/12/12 and fired Holmgren on 10/16/12

In looking this up I also learned that Flying J was a family business he inherited from his father and only through luck hasn’t bankrupted it (though he still got them investigated by the FBI)

Fucking ban billionaires

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    As someone who grew up near Cleveland, Green Bay’s ownership structure has had a certain sort of appeal since the mid 90’s.

Haslem sounds like he is on the same path as Snyder.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    As someone who grew up near Cleveland, Green Bay’s ownership structure has had a certain sort of appeal since the mid 90’s.

Haslem sounds like he is on the same path as Snyder.

If it can work in as tiny market as green bay and be successful there is a reason that the other owners freak out whenever its brought up and have bylaws passed to prevent another team from doing it green bay being grandfathered in. Shit they would force green bay to get a "real owner" if they could figure out a way to make money doing it but if they sell the packers I believe all the proceeds go to the JC's and the shriners so nobody has any real financial incentive to bother.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Every stadium deal should come with a % ownership until eventually cities have enough stake to buy out the nfl team

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Giants stole Miami's defensive coordinator

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Did we steal your lunch or did we merely swipe a paper bag full of dogshit?

I'm asking sincerely, I have no idea what your defense looked like this year

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    It wasn’t good

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I don't think you can take a whole lot from this season, as it was pretty crazy and we somehow overachieved and might have cost us a qb in the draft, but we kept the patriots from the #2.seed when we beat them!

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I want to assign most credit to Flores and Fitz but any coach on that staff has to look damn good at the moment

At least compared to whatever deflated balloon the Giants put forth

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

I don't think you can take a whole lot from this season, as it was pretty crazy and we somehow overachieved and might have cost us a qb in the draft, but we kept the patriots from the #2.seed when we beat them!

For that, Miami should get a compensatory #0 First Rounder, just for making the AFC interesting. Especially after the Ravens shit the bed.

• Options
    Honestly not shocked by the Kuechly news. Huge fan of his work, but his last two concussions were fucking terrible to watch. So him getting out before something life-changing happened, and with a decent chunk of change (even losing the last two years of his contract, he's made $30+M), is a good end to a career.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Kuechly was the guy who got concussed and started bawling uncontrollably on TV as he was carted off the field, right? Are you sure something life changing hasn’t already happened?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Kuechly was the guy who got concussed and started bawling uncontrollably on TV as he was carted off the field, right? Are you sure something life changing hasn’t already happened?

Watching that announcement vid of his I was noticing the left side of his mouth looked a bit off compared to interviews in the early days of his career. Having watched my dad go through it (not from concussions but other neurological issues) I'd say there's a decent chance Luke might have experienced some Bell's Palsy.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Yes, he was the one weeping uncontrollably. There was another incident not as bad, but it was still pretty uncomfortable.

As BlackDragon mentioned, quite possibly. I mean, given he's been playing for 8 years, and being pretty gung-ho during that time, so we don't know what long term effects he's going to have, even if he seemed quite fine. CTE doesn't always manifest early.

By life changing, I was more meaning something immediate, rather than the slower deterioration of players for our amusement. I'm not sure I feel comfortable watching knowing the long term effects, but it is why I crack the shits when people argue that the players are overpaid, or for demanding teams pay them extensive contracts. Of the two entities involved, the players or the team/owner, I know where I'd rather the lion's share of profits go.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

If Head Coach 09 is anything to go by, then yes. Hire him as OC.

But this is real life. And in real life, NFL teams are desperate to retread failed coaches and he will clap his way into the next open position.

The real fun will be the rampant speculation of Garrett taking over in New York as soon as they start playing like shit. (First game, second play.)

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I said this in the SE NFL thread and I'll say it here.

Professional sports coach is one of the only professions that rival cops in the ability to catastrophically fail and then immediately get hired to do the same thing one state over.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I said this in the SE NFL thread and I'll say it here.

Professional sports coach is one of the only professions that rival cops in the ability to catastrophically fail and then immediately get hired to do the same thing one state over.

Political pundit you don't even have to change states.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.