As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Impeachment] Trial of the 45th President of the United States Begins 2020/01/21

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    It may be worth pointing out that the incident of him claiming a hit man was after him comes two months after the messages he sent saying "they are willing to help if we/you would like a price" and "Guess you can do anything in the Ukraine with money” about the people who he apparently had surveiling the US Ambassador to Ukraine.

It doesn't seem too much of a leap to consider whether these incidents are related. Either parts of the same delusions, or he felt threatened by the same people whose threat to Yovanovich he was relaying.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I gotta stop looking at this thread. It’s all too stupid.

If this were part of some Hydraesque plot to stage a quiet coup, or a political effort on the part of some dangerous fringe, I’d feel . . . I dunno. Obligated to action? Some kind of motivator, at least. I’m not sure.

But basically this is the world’s worst spies, shills, and bootlickers breaking all the laws they have to so they can buy more monogrammed gold toilets. The whole fucking thing is about dick-waving over money and braggadocio.

Jesus

About a year ago my dad literally told me "Honestly, your mom and I aren't the ones who are going to suffer for this. It's you guys, your generation. The damage being done is going to last decades. Mom and I? We'll be long dead."

And I was like, yeah, I agree but I think you might be overselling it.

I had no idea how much he was underselling it.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    People who are mentally ill aren't excused from their behaviors and the majority of people with mental illness don't cause harm to others or stalk people or collude with foreign agents.

Plus there’s no doubt he can tell right from wrong. He’s actively trying to cover up what he did. I mean he’s doing a terrible job of it, but that’s beside the point.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Trump's insult style is weird and sad enough by itself, but when other people attempt to imitate it in sincerity it's even weirder and sadder.

Oh no, he’s not trying to emulate anyone’s style. There are folks out there who are legit like this as arguably functional adults. Who consume conservative media and find it on their wavelength.

VRXwDW7.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It does seem like Hyde is the type of stupid/crazy to have possibly made this stuff up. But it looks like the State Dept took it seriously enough to be alarmed about the ambassadors safety. It needs a real criminal investigation which simply won
    't happen under this administration.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Trump's insult style is weird and sad enough by itself, but when other people attempt to imitate it in sincerity it's even weirder and sadder.

Oh no, he’s not trying to emulate anyone’s style. There are folks out there who are legit like this as arguably functional adults. Who consume conservative media and find it on their wavelength.

It's one of the things that comes up a lot when people are talking about "losing" their relatives to Fox News and the further fringes of conservative media. Fox and the like build anger and paranoia in a way that builds upon existing mental issues and dementia. The "us against them" attitude it creates make treatment and communication difficult to impossible, and people have to walk away from family members they know need help for their own mental health and personal safety.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

As always, Trump's popularity with the right-wing base is in large part built on the fact that he's one of them. He says the shit they think, but as president.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Rhah wrote: »
    “Ultimately she is still alive. No big deal” -GOP defense probably

"“Attempted murder. Now honestly what is that? Can you win a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?" - Sideshow Bob

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

As always, Trump's popularity with the right-wing base is in large part built on the fact that he's one of them. He says the shit they think, but as president.

Representation matters.

Jesus, I feel sick saying that, but that's exactly what's going here.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

It's one of the things that comes up a lot when people are talking about "losing" their relatives to Fox News and the further fringes of conservative media. Fox and the like build anger and paranoia in a way that builds upon existing mental issues and dementia. The "us against them" attitude it creates make treatment and communication difficult to impossible, and people have to walk away from family members they know need help for their own mental health and personal safety.

I was reading about this dude and thought more or less the same....he’s exhibiting the symptoms of late stage Facebook bubble cancer -gaslit himself into straight up insanity

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I was reading about this dude and thought more or less the same....he’s exhibiting the symptoms of late stage Facebook bubble cancer -gaslit himself into straight up insanity

Which is why we should always be happy to have conflicting, but not insane, opposing views here on the forum. Arguing with other people here is how you know that the forum is useful, and not just a place for sniffing our own farts.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    Theres really only two GOP viewpoints right now though

bugfuck nuts or boot licking apologist

frankly neither is worth engaging anymore

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Not all viewpoints are valid

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Which is why we should always be happy to have conflicting, but not insane, opposing views here on the forum. Arguing with other people here is how you know that the forum is useful, and not just a place for sniffing our own farts.

The problem is that American conservatism has drifted straight up into a mix of fascism, religious fundamentalism, and classical American bigotry. No matter how much we want to be tolerant and open-minded, there's a long string of examples that show that tolerating a wide range of conservative opinion means allowing hate speech directed at other forum members, their friends, and their family.

Phillishere on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    So the list of the 7 House Floor Managers is out:

Adam Schiff D-CA
    Jerry Nadler D-NY
    Hakeem Jeffries D-NY
    Zoe Lofgren D-CA
    Val Demmings D-FL
    Jason Crow D-CO
    Sylvia Garcia D-TX

I would have preferred adding Amash just to force the media to acknowledge he exists, but understand why not and am not really complaining. Also would have preferred someone from the Illinois delegation to be able to dunk on Blago and our history of putting corrupt heads of the Executive Branch in prison for committing crimes. Because that's what you do to corrupt heads of the Executive Branch. Arrest them. Quigley is on Intelligence and did a decent job, I felt. Ah well.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    In impeachment related news, Lev Parnas will reportedly be a guest on Maddow tonight.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Hyde has even more criminal history
    The Intercept obtained police records showing that Hyde violated a restraining order issued by a Washington, DC superior court judge at the request of a Republican consultant who says that Hyde stalked her and intimidated her family over the last year. In one of the reports, an officer disclosed that Connecticut police confiscated Hyde’s firearms in connection to his violation of the restraining order. Hyde was reported to authorities for “unsettling behavior” and trespassing at a church in Connecticut, according to a separate police report last summer.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Mr Hyde seems to be well-named.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Raju is a CNN reporter.

Goddamn, Collins really sucks.

I Zimbra wrote: »

Raju is a CNN reporter.

Ah yes, the Scalia school of legal thinking.
    There is no basis in text, tradition, or even in contemporary practice, if that were enough, for finding in the Constitution a right to demand judicial consideration of newly discovered evidence of innocence brought forward after conviction

Though in this case the opposite. New evidence of criminality doesn't count because I don't want to see it.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Adam Schiff D-CA
    Jerry Nadler D-NY
    Hakeem Jeffries D-NY
    Zoe Lofgren D-CA
    Val Demmings D-FL
    Jason Crow D-CO
    Sylvia Garcia D-TX

I would have preferred adding Amash just to force the media to acknowledge he exists, but understand why not and am not really complaining. Also would have preferred someone from the Illinois delegation to be able to dunk on Blago and our history of putting corrupt heads of the Executive Branch in prison for committing crimes. Because that's what you do to corrupt heads of the Executive Branch. Arrest them. Quigley is on Intelligence and did a decent job, I felt. Ah well.

What is the purpose of these floor managers?

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Raju is a CNN reporter.

Hey Manu, being a fucking idiot is not what "throwing cold water" means.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Raju is a CNN reporter.

Hey Manu, Collins forgetting where she put her brain is not what "throwing cold water means"

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Adam Schiff D-CA
    Jerry Nadler D-NY
    Hakeem Jeffries D-NY
    Zoe Lofgren D-CA
    Val Demmings D-FL
    Jason Crow D-CO
    Sylvia Garcia D-TX

They basically present the case to the Senate. They act as prosecutors I believe.

TheBigEasy wrote: »

Adam Schiff D-CA
    Jerry Nadler D-NY
    Hakeem Jeffries D-NY
    Zoe Lofgren D-CA
    Val Demmings D-FL
    Jason Crow D-CO
    Sylvia Garcia D-TX

from what I gather they are managers of the evidence/transcripts to be presented during the trial; kind of like pseudo prosecutors. They will be making the argument for impeachment....I think

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Raju is a CNN reporter.

Susan Collins did a better job of convincing the media that she was a moderate than McCain did

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah that write up is the opposite of what she did. But I'm glad she's not even trying to hide her naked partisan bullshit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I just want to post and say I appreciate the page number in the title. Thanks @moniker

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Kruite wrote: »

Raju is a CNN reporter.

Hey Manu, Collins forgetting where she put her brain is not what "throwing cold water means"

He's saying "throwing cold water on" because people on the left were excited (for lack of better terminology) about this new evidence and its use in the impeachment trial, and now Collins saying "Who cares, this doesn't matter"

I mean, which we knew because the Senate is run by Mitch McConnell but still...

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Raju is a CNN reporter.

CNN sucks for retweeting her stupid argument.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Raju is a CNN reporter.

He's saying "throwing cold water on" because people on the left were excited (for lack of better terminology) about this new evidence and its use in the impeachment trial, and now Collins saying "Who cares, this doesn't matter"

"Throwing cold water" means to temper excitement of someone who's not seeing the whole picture. Collins distorting reality by suggesting the House sat on this evidence or that they didn't do their due diligence is...something else.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist

Raju is a CNN reporter.

The left is excited because this evidence collaborates the charges made against the president in the impeachment. It also completely tarnished the defense that the witnesses did not know what Trump really wanted, so therefore you cannot assert that what he wanted was politically helpful to him.

I interpreted her remark as snarky; she is implying that Congress has not done their job and what was available at the time they voted for impeachment was not sufficient as an "impeachable offense". It's bullshit.

Butters wrote: »

Raju is a CNN reporter.

"Throwing cold water" means to temper excitement of someone who's not seeing the whole picture. Collins distorting reality by suggesting the House sat on this evidence or that they didn't do their due diligence is...something else.

Throwing cold water means to temper someone's else's excitement or enthusiasm for something, it has nothing to do with seeing the whole picture. And the second half of your post proves what I was saying; The evidence was exciting because it might be used as further evidence in the trial, but now she's showing her hand, and actually none of it matters at all.

Regardless this is a stupid thing to argue; the important thing is Collins showing her hand and we know beyond a shadow of a doubt, this will be a sham trial.

LxX6eco.jpg
    Marathon wrote: »
    In impeachment related news, Lev Parnas will reportedly be a guest on Maddow tonight.

I'm baffled by this

he's under indictment will he actually say anything?

edited January 2020
    I just want to post and say I appreciate the page number in the title. Thanks moniker

Oftentimes when I update the thread title I include the updates in one if the OP's. So don't forget to check page 1 now and again.

Well, here. Not the foreign policy thread because I enjoy a good pun title, but that takes away from the gravity of impeaching a President.

moniker on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Hey Collins

One of the articles you’re being presented with addresses why there’s still info coming out that wasn’t able to be considered before the impeachment vote

You fucking moron

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Raju is a CNN reporter.

CNN sucks for retweeting her stupid argument.

Could've just said CNN sucks.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

I'm baffled by this

he's under indictment will he actually say anything?

Why does this surprise you? Like Rudy consistently runs his mouth that in a sane world would have already seen him to prison.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So am I correct in reading that there's going to be NO media coverage of the live hearings?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    So am I correct in reading that there's going to be NO media coverage of the live hearings?

I was in an Uber earlier and it was playing on the radio so that can't be true

This discussion has been closed.