As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Halfway through my 2 day work week. I can power through this!

atvxkvhsarkc.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know tons of people say I am far tougher than them for putting up with the stuff I do. I don't feel I am

as an addendum to when I got my ID on Friday there are two businesses that do Id's in Nm MVD express is a private contactor for the state and MVD. When I went to the MVD he said it would cost me $10 for the ID in Cash and another 10 in cash or credit to get it as well as another fee {I told my brother he was trying to Poor tax me} MVD express sadly wanted 12 for my ID nothing more
    Still I do hate how this state likes to prey upon those in the grey area of poor

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's sad I know CAD from when I was taking college classes in high school from goofing around with it over the next couple of years.
    But I don't have the certification for it and other things I learned on my own. I know people probably got burned by taking people at their word before.

As a side I went for a ride on my POS bike {seriously those brakes are dangerousrszegtlnaaiu.png} So I went to a part of town I avoid because of the traffic
    The city got a sucker to buy one of their road bonds so a intersection of two major roads and did a road project they had scheduled since 2012. I am not going to take the bike lane in the street that's suicidal with how people drive
    It was sad I rode around the shopping area and could not find a bike rack so I had to hide it behind a dumpster locked to it. THe sad part is the city really is promoting get around by bike and how you can basically ride a bike most of the year
    I miss my Schwinn
    I know I make fun of how the shopping malls are less than 60% full so I don't know why they promote how easy it is to start a business when most are a fly by night deal

I hope that when you get somewhere better it's also much more bike-friendly, and ALSO that you end up getting yourself a bike with hydraulic disc brakes.

They're so much better in every single way I don't even consider bikes without them.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    We should try to cut corporate paper use anyway. I'd legislate to enforce it if possible tbh. It's so wasteful and environmentally destructive!

Who even prints things? I can't remember the last time I printed anything that wasn't a return label for my wife or medical form for school

I am currently doing a side project for my boss that requires me to go through a bunch of paperwork and make sure it was properly filled out and filed and to show state/federal auditors were doing it they want me to print it all and physically mark it. I suggested doing it digitally but they literally didn't understand how I could digitally mark a document.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I started my work day triggering a berniebro on facebook whose head was so far up his ass, he could not see the mural of sexism he was painting.

Body clock so wrong, needed two power naps to stay on the road

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's sad I know CAD from when I was taking college classes in high school from goofing around with it over the next couple of years.
    But I don't have the certification for it and other things I learned on my own. I know people probably got burned by taking people at their word before.

As a side I went for a ride on my POS bike {seriously those brakes are dangerousrszegtlnaaiu.png} So I went to a part of town I avoid because of the traffic
    The city got a sucker to buy one of their road bonds so a intersection of two major roads and did a road project they had scheduled since 2012. I am not going to take the bike lane in the street that's suicidal with how people drive
    It was sad I rode around the shopping area and could not find a bike rack so I had to hide it behind a dumpster locked to it. THe sad part is the city really is promoting get around by bike and how you can basically ride a bike most of the year
    I miss my Schwinn
    I know I make fun of how the shopping malls are less than 60% full so I don't know why they promote how easy it is to start a business when most are a fly by night deal

I hope that when you get somewhere better it's also much more bike-friendly, and ALSO that you end up getting yourself a bike with hydraulic disc brakes.

They're so much better in every single way I don't even consider bikes without them.

I know I loved that cheap Schwinn I got it was leagues better than the cheap mongoose I will called quite dangerous to use [I still have to ride my dangerous bike since the Schwinn was stolen}
    It really bothered me how the city is pushing how bike friendly it is the lack of bike racks around as it's wrong I have to climb billboards and under bridges to hide and lock up my bike
    When I get a job I am buying that Schwinn again [it's only 250 and I will feel it's worth buying again}

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    As a bike rider myself, I understand.
    However, I encourage you to use that $250 as part of your GTFO money and buy it again once you are somewhere better.

Commander Zoom on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm really surprised there hasn't been any breakthrough in printing to get rid of all these issues people have with them breaking constantly. Getting away from spinning and moving parts would improve their reliability a ton.

I have put literally no thought into this at all but my instinct is that when it comes to moving away from motors and moving printer heads, space efficient paper feeding is one fundamental technological barrier, with reliable ink nozzles coming a strong second.
    If we stopped using paper, used photo sensitive material combined with negative impression flash-printing/fixing, I wonder what that would look like? Material costs would skyrocket and so would space requirements but they might be less bullshit.
    also if you looked at the printer it would blind you but wev.

Nah, they'd make the printer cheap but jack up the price on the mirror shields you need to safely approach it.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Loads of companies print vast amounts of stuff even if they have digital records.

Take people's printers. Make off site mailing happen and take their printers so people have to get used to using digital media. Yes it can be annoying but it's cost saving, environmentally friendly and forces companies to develop properly reliable digital access to documentation.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Dude, it's like 5 AM...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Lunch is a state of mind.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Elaro wrote: »

Dude, it's like 5 AM...

It's Lunch O'Clock somewhere.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My wife works for a big faceless American corporation.

This time every year there is a huge reorganization and round of redundancies.

So every year there's a few weeks where we have to worry wether or not the cuts will hit my wife's team.

Fortunately as we're in the UK we have quite good redundancy payments and get way more notice than her American counterparts.

But how is this a good way to run a business? She lost a colleague last year in America who was in charge of developing a website for her project. He was booted out the door the same day he was made redundant so there was no handover. So that website was scrapped completely.

They'll then hire a bunch of people but all that knowledge and experience is gone. How much manpower is lost every year trying to redo everything after a bunch of people are laid off?

Of course the CEO still gets his bonus and 20 million dollars.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Loads of companies print vast amounts of stuff even if they have digital records.

Take people's printers. Make off site mailing happen and take their printers so people have to get used to using digital media. Yes it can be annoying but it's cost saving, environmentally friendly and forces companies to develop properly reliable digital access to documentation.

Establish and service a proper document database and intranet portal? Just who in the fuck do you think you're talking to? Is it a company with a boardroom average age below 50, because holy shit...

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Well, I found out what it takes to get some decent testing resources in place for new features.

We just need the potential for hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines from the regulators if this stuff doesn't work.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

Oh hey look it's me every day.

Although my excuse is that 11 am is the exact halfway point for my workday, so that just lets me divide it up nicely.

ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Lunch is a state of mind.

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’m so unhappy with my job right now that even though I’m working from home today, I was still late for work.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Well my good news: They did server maintenance last night and the forums are no longer blocked. Small blessings.

Potentially good news?: Remember the cyber security department at my work? The one where I was promised a job but the guy above it stepped in and said "No I like him where he is and we need someone with more experience anyway"? Well that guy quit last week. To be fair he was driving 2 hours each way so I can't blame him. They announced yesterday my boss is now their department head, and my boss told me shes going to be moving people around department when reviews come around next month. So uh...possible I'll get moved into Info Sec....

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Say pay raise with me bucketman.

steam_sig.png
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    We should try to cut corporate paper use anyway. I'd legislate to enforce it if possible tbh. It's so wasteful and environmentally destructive!

Who even prints things? I can't remember the last time I printed anything that wasn't a return label for my wife or medical form for school

Mother. Fucking. Teachers.

My current battle in the quest to not have 73 printers in the building (no exaggeration) is that when the kids write a paper, making them print a copy for every kid in the class is the dumbest, most wasteful thing they could possible do. Seriously, every kid has a chromebook assigned to them that they can take home and everything. They have district google accounts. This is why Google Docs exists! Listen to me!

NO! Stop printing out articles to read! GRAH!

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Ugghh. I had the dream again last night. The one where my manager asks me to go to fill in at the electronics boutique in the other mall. "Just see to the register while I do other things", except in the dream I haven't worked for electronics boutique for about a year, so I don't know how to do anything. but refusing would have meant losing valuable reference credentials.

In reality I haven't worked for EB since like '04. BUT THE DREAM FEELS SO REAL.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ugh, now tongue blisters and constant tackyness and drymouth.

I wanna blame the cold weather, sinus, and the shitty ratio of water to caffine last week. Calling nurse's hotline and regretting all those oranges I ate.

Upside, free supervisor day so I can start whenever I want and focus on missed patrols.

Downside, most likely sickness or cold weather callouts.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Hey, for everyone in this thread. Patch your home computers if they are Windows.
    Like right fucking now.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Hey, for everyone in this thread. Patch your home computers if they are Windows.
    Like right fucking now.

Does this have anything to do with the 3 consecutive updates Windows pushed last night?

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Dreamed that I was somehow back being an IT support contractor, only since I was a contractor and not a regular employee they wouldn't give me access to any equipment storage or software log-ins, so the whole dream was me not having any tools to do my job, and the team lead constantly berating me for having to unlock/log into things for me.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Like right fucking now.

Does this have anything to do with the 3 consecutive updates Windows pushed last night?

Yes, oh my god. Everyone is loosing their shit.
    https://cyber.dhs.gov/ed/20-02/

PSN: jfrofl
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Probably being teachers it has been institutionally beaten into them that they must physically evidence every single thing they do or have given children, and the oversight requirements on them are hugely overbearing and outdated in their approach

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Like right fucking now.

Ooh, that seems bad!

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    It was so amazing when they got rid of everything but the MFPs and went to a single print queue here. Somehow having to walk further and badge in to print has removed like 90% of the printing

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Like right fucking now.

That remote desktop vulnerability is so bad it's almost comical. good lord.

Speaking of Windows, this weekend I need to finally switch to 10 since 7 just got EOL and uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It was so amazing when they got rid of everything but the MFPs and went to a single print queue here. Somehow having to walk further and badge in to print has removed like 90% of the printing

When they went to badges like 4? 5? years ago, I literally stopped printing anything.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yes, what kind of Luddite prints things hahahaha

<<
    >>
    nixxy17adk9o.jpg

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I feel like academics print out a LOT of stuff

There's one professor in my department who's room is so full of shit he works out in the hall at a table instead.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Baby steps. I have four MFPs with the SSO print queue and badging system setup. And the only reason I managed to get that is that their old method of tracking paper usage on the MFPs no longer worked or was supported.

I still have 73 individual HP and Brother printers scattered through the building though, so my current tactic is to encourage as many people as I can to just move over to the MFPs exclusively and really really drag my feet on getting the old dying individual printers fixed when they start falling to pieces.

Also stop printing everything.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    edited January 2020
    Oghulk wrote: »

There's one professor in my department who's room is so full of shit he works out in the hall at a table instead.

You can usually spot an emeritus by the 9-foot high insulating walls of paper and journal stacks that fill the entirety of their office, leaving only a small entry and exit way.

It's not so much that we print a lot, more that once printed it never, ever gets thrown away. I have a stack of ring binders at home with papers I read for my PhD which will never be referred to again.

tynic on
    I mean most businesses and academic institutions in Japan still run on hard copy everything. They require wet-ink original contracts, they use carbon paper extensively.
    tynic wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

You can usually spot an emeritus by the 9-foot high insulating walls of paper and journal stacks that fill the entirety of their office, leaving only a small entry and exit way.

It's not so much that we print a lot, more that once printed it never, ever gets thrown away. I have a stack of ring binders at home with papers I read for my PhD which will never be referred to again.

When I was interviewing for grad school I met with a PI whose office was like this, in southern California. The already dry air was so thoroughly desiccated in his office that I had to ask for water multiple times because every time I opened my mouth to speak my saliva just evaporated instantly.

possibly not unrelated, last night my sister tagged me in an ADHD thread on twitter which just devolved into a bunch of attention deficit academics posting pictures of their habitual desk chaos, and I honestly found it very affirming.

This discussion has been closed.