As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That's interesting. The one year I would have assumed they would be there.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That says a LOT about the current level of industry confidence in E3. Especially since it was mentioned Sony didn't like the current "vision" for this year's E3. I'm curious to find out what the hell that could be.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    A 6 hour pop band concert.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I think consumer interest in the show (for physical attendance) is still pretty high, but the press conferences themselves can all be viewed online, and it's pretty obvious that each brands conference includes corporate shills in the audience to hype things unnecessarily.

Admittedly, I would've also thought Sony would be there this year, considering Shawn Layden left and there's a new President/CEO.

I guess that's why there's a lot of talk about the next Playstation Experience for 2020.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Honestly we kind of need something like a Direct or another type of show. How else do these game trailers get views? Movies have trailers that happen before the movie begins.

I know that E3 and stuff are just one giant advertising blitz but I enjoy it.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    They'll get their press packet all set up and release it, where you can read all about it on Polygon/Kotaku/IGN/Gamespot/ect. Wherever you go for your general video game news. I mean hell, where do you think the general public get their E3 news? Most likely from one of those sites. Nothing much changes, other than not only does Sony not have to fight for attention from 3 other companies, they can literally pick a day where nothing is happening and thus have all the attention.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Right that's why we need something like a "Direct" for the other companies. I really don't need an amphitheater full of cheering journalists. I just want someone to come on, introduce stuff and show clips of those games.

I'll still watch E3 anyway, for the new trailers if nothing else. And for the memes. Especially Ubisoft. Everything is memeworthy.

E3 felt like the video game industry's Draft. It was nice to have an event on a set date and take time off and know you were going to see some cool shit.

urahonky wrote: »
    Right that's why we need something like a "Direct" for the other companies. I really don't need an amphitheater full of cheering journalists. I just want someone to come on, introduce stuff and show clips of those games.

I'm honestly surprised no one else besides Nintendo has adopted the fairly quick-fire game streaming presentation format, but I guess the urge to showboat and do elaborate stage presentations dies hard.

cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm honestly surprised no one else besides Nintendo has adopted the fairly quick-fire game streaming presentation format, but I guess the urge to showboat and do elaborate stage presentations dies hard.

Didn't MS try to copy the whole Direct thing, and it ridiculously bombed because it had about as much flavor as an empty box of shredded wheat?

Which actually says a lot about Nintendo if even their weirdly cringy first trailer of Ring Fit Adventure had more personality than most things.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Didn't MS try to copy the whole Direct thing, and it ridiculously bombed because it had about as much flavor as an empty box of shredded wheat?

Which actually says a lot about Nintendo if even their weirdly cringy first trailer of Ring Fit Adventure had more personality than most things.

The main problem with what Microsoft did is that it presented *maybe* five minutes' worth of new/actually good information in the space of an hour. One time they spent ten minutes yammering on and on about the Halo arcade game they put in Dave & Busters. I mean, there's ways to make the talking head/interview format work, but Microsoft's attempt sure as hell didn't.

Didn't MS try to do it through Mixer or something, before literally no one used the application?

I haven't seen a Playstation Experience showcase stream or if it's just journalists in closed doors who post their articles afterwards. I don't know if it'll be a weird, artsy show like Sony's 2018 E3 or if it'll be more execs and bar graphs and sales figures. Who knows what the new president will try to focus on, but considering it's a Playstation conference first and foremost, and not a general Sony media show including movies and music, I'd hope they'd know that they could really have fun with the whole thing.

Playstation used to have public events in various cities. They held a few in Toronto a few years in a row. Free shirts, games and hardware handed out (PS2 and PS3) and they had demo stations to play. Then they stopped doing them. Wish they'd bring that kind of stuff back.

Didn't MS try to do it through Mixer or something, before literally no one used the application

It was on YouTube as well, but even then it wasn't well-watched.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I think the PlayStation Experience had a bad start because it was implemented when Sony had very little to talk about. At the end of a console cycle with very little to talk about concerning their new console. You figure the streams should be ramping up now that they can start to talk about the games and the PS5 in a lot more detail.

Before it was just TLoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima, and they've been holding those close to their chest until it got closer to their release. Which is probably a good thing.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Give us Infamous 4, and Dad of War 2!

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I need a new Infamous so badly but with the samurai game coming out, I'm guessing a new Infamous is a way off if it'll ever come. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2020
    There's a neat little thing Playstation is doing showing players how much time they spent with games and various stats.

Spoilered for somewhat big.
    hrl0a3q5f83b.jpg

The weird thing is when I share the data with my Facebook, it says I'm a Master Strategist, not an Action Hero.

Other stats not shown:
    Dragon Quest Builders 2 was the longest game I spent playing all year, accumulating 230 hours. The second longest game was Kingdom Hearts 3 at 64 hours. Third place went to Outer Worlds with 48.
    My longest consecutive play session clocked in at 19 hours. That was probably DQB2.
    Two of those trophies were platinums. Dragon Quest Builders 2 and KH3.

El Fantastico on

• WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Edit: What he said, haha.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2019/wrap-up/
    I uhh... Didnt expect to see my top 3 games to have 2 FTP selections in there.
    I guess being in a cold sweat of fear and running for your life makes time fly.
    Also they offer some avatars and a theme I believe.
    Top 3!
    1u0byhv25cjd.jpg

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    I'm so happy that both Nintendo and Sony are doing this. It's a pretty cool recap.

• Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    Love this end of year stuff. I was realized surprised that Persona 4 golden was my third most played game (78 hours) because I didn't even finish it. It is still sitting in my vita next to my bed. I stopped playing after Sony put out that final Vita patch which turned off online services if you didn't download it.

I keep thinking I am going to resell my vita with the older firm because it is worth so much more like that. Who knows.

Yet another "You wasted how much of your life on this one game?!". :)

Without even looking at it, I suspect my top 3 games played of all time will probably be, in no particular order:

-Monster Hunter World. Which I don't remember when exactly I bought, but I utterly fuckin' devoured that game. One of those "I can't believe I waited so long to play this" things.
    -Yakuza 0. Bought just last month on a whim. Yet another "ICBIWSLTPT" game. Yet more fuckin' hours devoured into it, but more because there's just so damn much to do. Maybe too much from a completionist view. I kind of feel bad doing all of it instead of the main story, which is also damn good. Kiwami 1 was a PS+ game a while back, and I already bought Kiwami 2. I'm debating whether to grab 6 while it's on sale, even though it'll probably be months before I ever get to it, and it'll likely go on sale again. In the meantime the pack of 3/4/5 are in my wishlist in case it ever goes on sale as well.
    -Binding of Isaac. Bought a few years back, but I suspect I dumped a ridiculous number of hours in it that no game likely ever to beat that metric. Only the above two might do it.

Mine was: Persona 5, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and Conan Exiles. P5 at around 76 hours.

Witcher 3 at.... 190 hours?! Jesus. None of that felt like filler.

Next is Yakuza 0 at 80 (loved that thing), and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 (fun but I never, ever want to be exposed to Kingdom Hearts lore again).

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oh this is awesome to see. I loaded mine up and took a look.

#1 Valkyrie Chronicles 4 45 hours
    #2 Horizon Zero Dawn 19 hours
    #3 Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown 9 hours

Total of 159 hours played in 2019.

Also don't forget to redeem your reward which is a wallpaper and other stuff the further down you scroll on that page.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    My top 3 games is like, 95% of my total shown hours played. I know I played more PS4 last year than that. I definitely played some Dragon Crown Pro and a bunch of Jackbox games, easily in excess of the last 9 hours that are not taken up by the other three games.

1: Monster Hunter World: 359 hours. Yup.
    2: Kingdom Hearts 1.5-2.5: 200 hours. ...Huh? I mean I went through all of 1, CoM, BBS and all of the various movie ones. Basically I was doing a big ol' chronological order playthrough in anticipation for 3, but took a break before doing 2 (I suspect that break was MHW too). I just didn't think it was that long.
    3: Hitman 2: 156 hours. Oh right, game no.3 I devoured.

Though... I'm thinking these numbers are way off. I'm looking at the various stats. 1198 hours of gameplay?! My longest game streak was 19 hours?! Um, no, I'm pretty fucking sure I've never done that, I eat and sleep and go out and shit. I'm wondering if it counts time spent on the dashboard. I have had many moments where I've turned the system on in preparation to play something, and then have just left it sitting there for hours at a time while other shit has come up, and then shut the thing down without ever actually playing for a second.

...Wait a minute. Typing that and reading that back, I remember I did a thing in Birth by Sleep where I abused some auto exp mechanics and left the game running for... well multiple nights. That explains all the ridiculous inflation, including KH being #2.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    My 2019

46 games
    1163 hours
    398 trophies

1 - Horizon Zero Dawn
    2 - Borderlands 3
    3 - Borderlands

In comparison, I played Switch 125 hours. Top 3 games being Smash, Link’s Awakening and Goose Game.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    My top 3 were completely as expected, really.

1 - Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded - 263 hours
    2 - Borderlands 3 - 224 hours
    3 - No Mans Sky - 182 hours

What was odd is that my top genre was FPS... 4 games total, and I think 3 of them are Borderlands 1, 2 and 3. 368 hours total, so NMS doesn't count. Maybe Destiny 2 at the start of the year, but I can't remember if I was still playing it.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    My numbers were really small this past year. With my move and everything I haven't played much besides the Switch this past year since the portability makes it easy.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    2: Kingdom Hearts 1.5-2.5: 200 hours. ...Huh? I mean I went through all of 1, CoM, BBS and all of the various movie ones. Basically I was doing a big ol' chronological order playthrough in anticipation for 3, but took a break before doing 2 (I suspect that break was MHW too). I just didn't think it was that long.

Though... I'm thinking these numbers are way off. I'm looking at the various stats. 1198 hours of gameplay?! My longest game streak was 19 hours?! Um, no, I'm pretty fucking sure I've never done that, I eat and sleep and go out and shit. I'm wondering if it counts time spent on the dashboard. I have had many moments where I've turned the system on in preparation to play something, and then have just left it sitting there for hours at a time while other shit has come up, and then shut the thing down without ever actually playing for a second.

...Wait a minute. Typing that and reading that back, I remember I did a thing in Birth by Sleep where I abused some auto exp mechanics and left the game running for... well multiple nights. That explains all the ridiculous inflation, including KH being #2.

Jesus, how does anyone have time for 1198 hours of gameplay a year? That's more than 20 hours a week :0

Stabbity_Style.png
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Jesus, how does anyone have time for 1198 hours of gameplay a year? That's more than 20 hours a week :0

Having no social life helps.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    47 games

#1 Metal gear solid 5 285 hours- several times leaving the console on to farm resources

#2 Warframe for obvious reasons at 120 hours.

#3 Dark Cloud 2 - 111 hours. This is a pretty standard JRPG grind.

1571 hours of gameplay.

Only wanted 924 trophies of which 18 were platinum. Going to try and aim for 2 a month this year by going through some of the shorter games in my backlog.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I had 636 hours across 12 games apparently.

The odd things is that my top 3 games were 47 (Second half-ish of RDR2), 40 (Spider-Man) and 37 (God of War), which leaves an average of 57 hours or so for the other 9 games?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I’m terrified of checking how many hours I have in Warframe. Other games tend to spread this time in-game across multiple sequels, but Warframe just keeps expanding like the black hole at the center of a galaxy. At least it’s my podcast and music playlist and YouTube game, so I feel like I’ve expanded my mind during my time with it, beyond just having some fun flipping around as an almost effortlessly-lethal space ninja.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I clocked in 1758 hours of gameplay! I have no life!

hahaha...
    1 The Div 2 - 269 hours
    2 NBA 2K19 - 218 hours
    3 NHL 20 - 214 hours

I guess I like me some sports games.

50433.png?1708759015
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

All I want is a teaser for Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

Bonus points if they promise it's coming out for the PS4 as well as the PS5, like some other cross generation titles between the 3 and 4.

I'm not expecting the game to be anytime soon, but a "launch'ish" title for the 5 while also being available on the 4 would make me so very happy.

HZD sold me on getting a PS4 Pro, but as much as I adore the game/setting, I'm not sure it'll manage to sell me on two consoles back to back within 3 years.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Bonus points if they promise it's coming out for the PS4 as well as the PS5, like some other cross generation titles between the 3 and 4.

I'm not expecting the game to be anytime soon, but a "launch'ish" title for the 5 while also being available on the 4 would make me so very happy.

HZD sold me on getting a PS4 Pro, but as much as I adore the game/setting, I'm not sure it'll manage to sell me on two consoles back to back within 3 years.
    Personally, I’d prefer if HZD2 was a PS5 exclusive. I remember when AC IV was cross-gen. I played through it in it’s entirety a month before the PS4 came out and even though it wasn’t much improved, I wish I had waited. The performance was better and the smoke effects were way better. I’d rather they focus on the graphics capabilities of the new system than try to tune for two different systems.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Personally, I’d prefer if HZD2 was a PS5 exclusive. I remember when AC IV was cross-gen. I played through it in it’s entirety a month before the PS4 came out and even though it wasn’t much improved, I wish I had waited. The performance was better and the smoke effects were way better. I’d rather they focus on the graphics capabilities of the new system than try to tune for two different systems.
    I mean, the load times are going to be extremely different between the two systems, especially if you haven't upgraded your PS4 Pro with a SSD. The PS5 is going to have a stupidly fast SSD on it, apparently.

Having upgraded from a SATA SSD to an NVME m.2 on my main PC, the difference is astounding.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

I believe Sony has already stated (or at least that press sneak fuck Jason Schreier has said and that's close enough for me) that they won't be doing cross-gen stuff. Once the PS5 is out, it's PS5 games from Sony. Third parties can but Sony won't.

And since HZD2 would be one hell of a launch title...