As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    gonna make some of this on Friday

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I did the thing!

Inspired by the Serious Eats version but not following the recipe specifically. I went a light on the heat with this batch because I was cooking for people who aren't super into spices.

Sauteed onions and orange bell pepper to start, thinly sliced garlic after a bit, and then some smoked and regular paprika and cumin. Added a can of diced tomatoes and simmered for a while, then blitzed it a bit with a wand blender (part wanting to use my christmas present, part not having a pastry blender).

Eggs I did 5 minutes at 167F in the sous vide, then into an ice bath before adding to the pan. In hindsight, I think I'd sous vide longer and have them in the pan a shorter time (or try Alton Brown's flash boil method) as I did not achieve runny yolks this time. Still tasty though.

Once the eggs were almost cooked I finished with some salt and pepper, and sprinkled on a bit more paprika and some chives for colour.
    F0SMgcah.png
    XDQmCsXh.png

Verdict: very good. I really like how thick the sauce was. If I was making it again I would like to try it with a bit more heat, and as I mentioned above future tests will change up the egg pre-cook to try and achieve yolk runniness, but on the whole this was one of the better times I've made this.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    That looks delicious!

I'll probably try to sous vide too, though I'm concerned about whether the eggs will be hard to crack smoothly. I've only ever cracked raw eggs, or hard-boiled ones, and something in between seems like all the difficulties of both

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hmmmm.

I think I might try shakshuka for Friday night dinner. I usually shy away from tomato based things out of habit, but I've got my reflux medications sorted, so this might be a good way to test it.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i really like Ottolenghi's Jerusalem recipe more than his Plenty Recipe.

https://food52.com/recipes/65845-yotam-ottolenghi-s-shakshuka

It doesn't look like the photo at all. I really like it with fresh whole tomates.

For 1 person, I do 2 eggs, half a pepper, and 1.5 tomatoes.

2 people 4 eggs, whole pepper and 3 tomatoes.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Things that are dope in shakshuka if you're feeling SAUCY:

Chorizo
    Jalapenos
    Kalamata olives
    Feta cheese chunks
    Basil leaves torn up
    Eggplant diced and sauteed

That said I am generally anti-this sudden trend of calling "a sauce we put eggs in" shakshuka and I am glad to let my opinion be known here.

Cooking along regularly here will be difficult for me because I have a lot of things-I-don't-cook (although very few things-I-won't-eat) but I love this thread and will definitely jump in if it works with my week planning/kitchen particularities

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I like pot stickers better than dumplings, but I’m down whatever we decide to do.

I am looking forward to making this. :3 I am not looking forward to how I will feel on Monday, I’m doing 12 hours and then 8 hours on Friday and Saturday.

Thankfully I do not have my usual 8 am class the following Monday, and Next Thursday is the start of the lunar New Year holiday.

sarukun on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Speaking of things that aren't shakshuka, i made a sort of german pan friend potatoes and eggs thing a few days ago with some very thinly sliced new potatoes and it was very nice

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Picked up ingredients tonight for something approximating the Serious Eats recipe, will cook it up sometime in the next few days - there's an indeterminate amount of snow in the forecast but I suspect I'm going to be off work on either Wednesday or Thursday and if I get a snow day it's go time for shakshuka.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    That looks delicious!

I'll probably try to sous vide too, though I'm concerned about whether the eggs will be hard to crack smoothly. I've only ever cracked raw eggs, or hard-boiled ones, and something in between seems like all the difficulties of both

I've been making polenta and sous vide poached eggs as a sort of easy to reheat breakfast for a couple weeks. For that I do 12 minutes at 167 followed by an ice bath and then keep them in the fridge until I need them. That long has the whites almost entirely set (and I want it to cook more in the sauce for something like shakshuka). That said, even at mostly cooked they're still pretty easy to get out of the shell. a bit of the white tends to stick to the inside that I'll gently scrape out with a spoon, but on the whole it's still not too tricky.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Things that are dope in shakshuka if you're feeling SAUCY:

Chorizo
    Jalapenos
    Kalamata olives
    Feta cheese chunks
    Basil leaves torn up
    Eggplant diced and sauteed

That said I am generally anti-this sudden trend of calling "a sauce we put eggs in" shakshuka and I am glad to let my opinion be known here.

Cooking along regularly here will be difficult for me because I have a lot of things-I-don't-cook (although very few things-I-won't-eat) but I love this thread and will definitely jump in if it works with my week planning/kitchen particularities

I usually put chorizo, feta, basil leaves, and jalapeno's in my shakshuka and can confirm they are all delicious

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I made this last night, it was good. I didn't really follow a recipe, I looked at a bunch of recipes and then did the thing. I used a lot of onion and yellow bell pepper and it didn't end up being super saucy, and my yolks were set, but all it all it was pretty good. I'd never had it before and didn't really understand what the fuss was about and I think I get it now and I'm not sure I'll get hungry for it but I can definitely see the appeal.
    uXtIHCDl.jpg
    mqIlQVNl.jpg
    OOq0VtCl.jpg

• Options
    Shakshuka is best eaten with like 3 friends out of the cast iron pan they made it in.

• Options
    For dumplings (both jiaoze (steamed) and guotie (potstickers)) how are these for recipes?

Serious Eats Napa Cabbage and Pork filling and wrapper recipe and Chinese Chive and Pork filing
    Woks of Life Vegetarian filling
    Adam Liaw Napa Cabbage, Chinese Chives and wrapper recipe (includes video)

Definitely open to suggestions because though I grew up making them with my grandmother, we never wrote down her recipes sadly

signature.png
  • Options
    I will see what I can find for recipes.

If you’re gonna make the wrapping, I rate it as pretty fucking hard.

If you’re just making the filling I think they're pretty simple.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I made this last night, it was good. I didn't really follow a recipe, I looked at a bunch of recipes and then did the thing. I used a lot of onion and yellow bell pepper and it didn't end up being super saucy, and my yolks were set, but all it all it was pretty good. I'd never had it before and didn't really understand what the fuss was about and I think I get it now and I'm not sure I'll get hungry for it but I can definitely see the appeal.
    uXtIHCDl.jpg
    mqIlQVNl.jpg
    OOq0VtCl.jpg

...did you make a butter smiley face on the bread?

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    I will see what I can find for recipes.

If you’re gonna make the wrapping, I rate it as pretty fucking hard.

If you’re just making the filling I think they're pretty simple.

Yeah, I expect most people will want to just make the filling and buy the wrappers, which is a perfectly respectable decision

signature.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i've got a filling that I made last time, didn't measure anything

but it was grated carrots, grated zucchini, minced/ground chicken and then diced and sauteed white button and shitake mushrooms. I tried to use some hoisin in the mix, but it tasted kinda bland anyways so i'll be looking for another seasoning there.

I use premade skins. and minced chicken because we don't eat pork.

• Options
    Ah! Yes of course, I should have considered that. All of those recipes you can pretty comfortably swap out the pork with some other sort of fatty meat. And all the above recipes call for some sugar, salt/soy sauce and possibly ginger and garlic in the filling. Chinese chives (jiucai) has a very distinctive taste too... not one I love, personally, but it would definitely have quite a flavour if you add it in :P

signature.png
  • Options
    also, cabbage makes me bloated af. like, painfully so. lol. i might try that vegetarian dumpling, but sub in the carrots and zucchini for the cabbage.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Weirdly enough, I'd been planning to make shakshuka last week or this already so...

I used a recipie I've used before. I wish I'd taken a pic before because I'm bad at plating.
    ykym6m1h9zod.jpg
    Spread some goat cheese on flat bread, put the shak on top, sprinkled some truffle goat cheese on top.

Good dinner.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm planning to make this tomorrow night. Will post with recipe and photos.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    First attempt at shakshuka is done! I used something close to the Serious Eats recipe, although I varied up the peppers and spices just a little. I only cooked up two eggs for this meal, figuring that when I want to reheat the leftovers I'll just try and cook the new eggs fresh.

Unfortunately I didn't get a good photo of the eggs, forgot to take a pic while they were still in the skillet, and they were so softly cooked that when I transferred them to the bowl they more or less disintegrated. Was yummy, though, and simple enough that I'll probably take another crack at the dish in the future, although the 25 minutes active time listed on the recipe wound up being way low. Between prepping the veggies, simmering the sauce down and getting the eggs cooked it took me closer to 45-50 minutes all told.
    2rveuk2xcbh5.jpg

iynsv9cocej3.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    shakshuka tomorrow!

I convinced my family to try it with me. this'll be our 3rd veggie meal this week, purely on accident, but hopefully a trend? who knows!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    uXtIHCDl.jpg
    mqIlQVNl.jpg
    OOq0VtCl.jpg

...did you make a butter smiley face on the bread?

I mean I didn't not make a butter smiley face.

Look I have two kids. Faces happen.

• Options
    and shakshuka has been moved to tomorrow. There was some uncertainty on when people were coming home so doing something that needed timing was too tough.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm working this weekend, so that means today is shakshuka day!

m8un7je8e1ao.png

For the heat, I went with a chipotle pepper. Other than that, I spiced it with smoked paprika and cumin seeds. The last time I tried shakshuka it turned out way too sweet, and it looks like that's because I caramelized the onions too much. So this time I cooked them just until they turned soft and got a tiny bit of color.

40drtdq9q2by.png

I tried the flash-boiling/ice bath method for the egg. Quite a bit of the white stayed behind in the shell, but what made it into the pan cooked up nicely in time to leave the yolk nice and runny.

tq473pkdka9p.png

It turned out really tasty with some feta crumbles and griddle toast. Not nearly as sweet as last time, with just the perfect amount of heat. I've got plenty of sauce left, so I'm gonna be having it for breakfast for like the next week.

Thanks, Cook Club!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You could make it less sweet by using a different tomato. Those are the brand of san marzanos I use and they are quite sweet.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    second best batch of shakshuka I ever made!

the first best had chorizo

EVOO, Yellow and Orange Bell Peppers, Sweet Onion, Jalapeno, Crushed faux San Marzano Tomatos, Coriander Seed, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Garlic, Basil, and Goat Cheese
    gx7kshx2s7j0.jpg

Sweating those veggies!
    3bsd0m1clm2t.jpg

Added Tomatoes and Spices and settle in for a long simmer
    9ovpx33ygaho.jpg

Yolks were hard, but I'd rather have hard yolks than runny whites
    rjwcom67m7no.jpg

There were no survivors
    z8jskd2tpnxy.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I'm so hungry looking at all of this.

I made the dish! Sous vided the eggs at 145 for 45 minutes, then chilled cold (thanks, Serious Eats SV egg guide, but also thanks Fearghaill for the idea). Eggs were perfectly runny. I'll post the pics tomorrow~ :)

signature.png
  • Options
    Also: We're definitely moving ahead with dumplings for next week. It's Lunar New Year on Saturday January 25th! :D

signature.png
  • Options
    I have never attempted or eaten a dumpling

is it like chicken and dumplings? Or like the things in the bamboo basket with fillings? Or like the wonton looking things in soup?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    For some future week I would like to suggest any matty matheson video recipe.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'll have to buy some dumpling wrappers, my kitchen counter space is not conductive to rolling out doughs.

I plan to make my shakshuka for breakfast tomorrow, picked up all the ingredients I was missing (mainly just a red bell pepper) at the grocery store yesterday.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    When I make Shakshuka I crack the eggs right into the pan then just put a lid on until the top of the eggs start to film over and that seems to work perfectly.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »

is it like chicken and dumplings? Or like the things in the bamboo basket with fillings? Or like the wonton looking things in soup?

It's the East Asian version, a filling, usually meat based, that is wrapped with a thin dough. They can be boiled, steamed, pan fried, or prepared a number of other ways. Also called jiaozi, or potstickers/guotie (when it's pan fried), or gyoza (there's differences between the two but... frankly I can't name them offhand). It tastes great and allows for a lot of customizing! Just saw this other Serious Eats version with fatty pork belly and bacon to add to the other pile of links

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    I've got some challah rising in the kitchen right now to have with shakshuka tonight.

even going to try and make pretzel challah rolls out of the other half of the dough. Cause I can't make 2 loaves of challah or one big loaf, we just don't eat that much bread.

But if I make rolls.... I can at least freeze them. Or it'll be easier for Ellie to eat them. who knows

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

what

• Options
    I dunno

I guess I've never really been to a dumpling .... house? grill?

I've seen them on buffets but since I don't know what's in them and they generally look slimy, I get other stuff

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    where do you live again
    we've got some things to fix