As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arrow-Verse: DC on TV (and Legends of Tomorrow)

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    My opinion of the first ep in one spoiler-free sentence.

CRISIS~!

...and also Batwoman was there.

sig.gif
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I promised my crew no more crossovers.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    From the perspective of somebody who has not watched a lick of this "Arrowverse" stuff outside the occasional random youtube clip, this felt like... an entertaining hot mess. The only cohesive glue I have to go on is general DC knowledge and a basic understanding of the original comic book, and even that didn't feel like enough. This is probably amazing if you've followed the universe from day 1, but it's fairly hard to follow if you haven't. There's also a level of... cheese I guess would be the way to put it towards the acting in general that I just don't seem to find palatable.

I feel really bad and guilty kind of slagging it off. Like I said, I'm sure this is fucking amazing for the die hard fans, but I just don't know if it's fully working for me, someone who hasn't watched a second otherwise. I'll probably finish it though just because... eh why not. Honestly though, I'm only even in it in the first place because of Kevin Conroy. Speaking of, I'm also curious what fans might think of the whole crossover stuff too.
    For all their talk, the Smallville section amounted to nothing but a glorified cameo, with this Clark saying he gave up his powers. And while it was super weird and cool hearing The Voice come out of this Bruce, he's also just a cameo. Turns out this Bruce did a line of the super addictive and popular DC drug known as Murdertrol, and as you know, once you pop you can't stop. I don't hate it, they actually play it off really well and rightfully tragic, but yada yada yada Bruce dies.

Meanwhile I'm highly suspecting that the main reason that Brandon Routh Superman is joining the crew is because apparently he also plays The Atom in this universe and he's already contracted to be in front of the camera anyways, so somebody said "Let's dust off a Superman suit for him too". And weirdly enough they do actually address and joke that these two people look exactly the same. :) I also forget which Superman he's supposed to be? I think the promotional stuff said he's from Kingdom Come? But they full on were using the John Williams score for his scenes, so he may as well be the Richard Donner Superman... aside from the black S at least.

So... yeah. I dunno. Smallville Clark and Conroy Bruce were cool as hell, but they're clearly done and not joining the main crew. I'm curious how people might feel about that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I'm highly suspecting that the main reason that Brandon Routh Superman is joining the crew is because apparently he also plays The Atom in this universe and he's already contracted to be in front of the camera anyways, so somebody said "Let's dust off a Superman suit for him too". And weirdly enough they do actually address and joke that these two people look exactly the same. :) I also forget which Superman he's supposed to be? I think the promotional stuff said he's from Kingdom Come? But they full on were using the John Williams score for his scenes, so he may as well be the Richard Donner Superman... aside from the black S at least.
    He is playing Superman Returns version (which is the same continuity as the Christopher Reeves movies, since he took over the role for that film).

They have apparently continued the timeline long enough that he has become the Kingdom Come version though. They reference the Joker poison gassing the daily planet and killing everyone except Superman on the paper in his office.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    As a huge fan of Smallville, I kind of loved the cameo of Welling. Just seeing him and Durance back for a moment was pure joy for me.

As for how they handled him:
    It made sense for the Smallvilleverse Clark Kent. In Smallville, he was always looking for a way to live a normal life. Him giving up his powers for his family made 100% sense with his character. The way they did him was a rather fantastic and respectful homage to the show. Also, him punching Lex and saying "I'm still stronger" with a grin was awesome.

Basically I'm a very happy Smallville fan.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    As a huge fan of Smallville, I kind of loved the cameo of Welling. Just seeing him and Durance back for a moment was pure joy for me.

As for how they handled him:
    It made sense for the Smallvilleverse Clark Kent. In Smallville, he was always looking for a way to live a normal life. Him giving up his powers for his family made 100% sense with his character. The way they did him was a rather fantastic and respectful homage to the show. Also, him punching Lex and saying "I'm still stronger" with a grin was awesome.

Basically I'm a very happy Smallville fan.

Also, if you really think about it (Part 1 & 2 spoilers)
    When it comes to having a family, Clark/Superman will always try to be a normal father and have normal life for his children. (See: Earth-38 Clark in Argo City & DC comics Clark)

So once they showed he had kids, him giving up his powers made total sense, especially Smallville Clark.

So i too was happy with that scene(s).

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I liked all the cameos so far and such. I kind of expected 'future batman' to be
    batman beyond/terry mcguinness who would get introduced by bruce. It's also her episode though and I'm fine with it being her so that makes sense.

On the continuity of kingdom come superman, it seems like it is reeves as I think they are directly referencing the reeves movie where he fought himself, right? That's probably a more common thing that has happened more than once as well I bet.

steam_sig.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I liked all the cameos so far and such. I kind of expected 'future batman' to be
    batman beyond/terry mcguinness who would get introduced by bruce. It's also her episode though and I'm fine with it being her so that makes sense.

On the continuity of kingdom come superman, it seems like it is reeves as I think they are directly referencing the reeves movie where he fought himself, right? That's probably a more common thing that has happened more than once as well I bet.
    That would a kind of weird thing to do, because if this is Superman Returns/Donner Supes, then Returns specifically threw out movies 3 and 4.

It's an otherwise fun nod though and I'm fine with the answer being "Don't think about it". I really liked Routh's Superman and it felt like a bum rap that his movie never took off (but I totally get why it didn't).

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Routh was a good Superman that just happened to be stuck in a really badly written movie.

Also Bosworth Lois was horrible.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    So, 3/5ths of the way through the crossover.

So far, so good. While I knew that they would not be able to replicate Crisis page for page, they are doing a good job at hitting a lot of the points. All the cameo's are done really well, giving us one good moment with our heroes from the previous series. Now to wait a month to see if this thing sticks the landing.
    Going forward, I think we are going to see a shared Earth between all the characters. The way they have been setting up Kara/Kate team up leads me to think there is going to be some frequent crossovers between those series. Same with Black Lightning and Flash.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I'm betting even though its a long shot, they get that soul back by
    tracking down lucifer.

I can dream damnit

steam_sig.png
    tracking down lucifer.

I can dream damnit

Looks like it wasn't that long of a shot.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Not gonna lie, I was hoping that it was going to be
    Terry McGinnis instead of Luke at the front door. Don't even reference that he's the Bat.

But they got a good joke out of it being Luke, so it's fine.

Honestly having Kevin Conroy Bruce and Batman Beyond around in, like, Legends of Tomorrow for an episode or two, would be pretty fuckin' sweet.

Hell, just bring Terry onto the Waverider for a season. Old Bruce needs him to train in unpredictable situations.[/quote]

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    tracking down lucifer.

I can dream damnit

It does make me wonder though
    Is there only one hell for the entire multi-verse with only one Lucifer?
    Otherwise, why did Earth 666s Lucifer owe (presumably) our Constantine a favor? It seems like if Lucifer owed Constantine a favor, it wouldn't be payable to just any Constantine.

Still, might be fun to see that circumstance turn up again. "What do you mean you paid your debt to a Constantine?"

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    tracking down lucifer.

I can dream damnit

It does make me wonder though
    Is there only one hell for the entire multi-verse with only one Lucifer?
    Otherwise, why did Earth 666s Lucifer owe (presumably) our Constantine a favor? It seems like if Lucifer owed Constantine a favor, it wouldn't be payable to just any Constantine.

Still, might be fun to see that circumstance turn up again. "What do you mean you paid your debt to a Constantine?"
    The answer to your question in spoilers is: yes.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    My question is how they even got the rights to use
    Lucifer. Isn't he now owned by Netflix?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Presumably they asked, and Netflix were chill about it as it could only encourage people to sign up to Netflix to watch Lucifer? I can't really see a downside for them.

It's like the guest fighters from other devs appearing in Smash Bros. AFAIK, none of them are paid by Nintendo for it, it's just a case of them saying "Hey, you wanna put Bayonetta/Ryu/Cloud in our mega fighting game because it'll be cool?"

Is Tom Ellis the only person to play the same character on three different networks? It can't be a long list, even if he's not.

edit:
    I'd be more excited if it meant that Constantine could show up in Lucifer occasionally, I feel like they'd be a fun match. I doubt they'd allow that much crossover, though.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Presumably they asked, and Netflix were chill about it as it could only encourage people to sign up to Netflix to watch Lucifer? I can't really see a downside for them.

It's like the guest fighters from other devs appearing in Smash Bros. AFAIK, none of them are paid by Nintendo for it, it's just a case of them saying "Hey, you wanna put Bayonetta/Ryu/Cloud in our mega fighting game because it'll be cool?"

Is Tom Ellis the only person to play the same character on three different networks? It can't be a long list, even if he's not.

edit:
    I'd be more excited if it meant that Constantine could show up in Lucifer occasionally, I feel like they'd be a fun match. I doubt they'd allow that much crossover, though.

Re: the question in the first spoiler, but not a spoiler for Crisis - Richard Belzer played his John Munch character from Homicide and Law & Order: SVU on 5 different networks. Those were on NBC. He was on X-Files on Fox. The Wire on HBO. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix. And The Beat on UPN. (And for good measure Munch was also on 2 other Law & Order shows, and 30 Rock).

I can't think of anyone that can top that right now.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    There's a twitter guy that tracks those things!

I'm pretty sure The Flash (2014) tops 'em all (connects to 9 other shows), though I don't think any individual character tops John Munch.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    My wife and I picked up some posters at free comic book day and finally got them hung up today. I think they look pretty good. :)

idp2q3ly93d2.jpeg

camo_sig2.png
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Crisis returns tomorrow 1/14

Just caught a clip of the new one...

Holy shit I was not expecting -THAT- cameo.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I really want to read a behind the scenes on that.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Diggle: "Sarah Conner's gone."

I didn't even realize there was a Terminator crossover.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Just caught a clip of the new one...

Holy shit I was not expecting -THAT- cameo.

I did
    I was if only for the fact that actor openly was like YEAH THATS RAD DO IT after he initially got the part in Justice League

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Just started the Legends of Tomorrow ep and
    Holy shit they DID IT. EARTHS COMBINED!

edited January 2020
    I cannot believe how well they pulled Crisis off....on tv....with a tv budget.

This crossover, for a guy like me who is an absolute DC guy, was my Endgame. I can't believe that they pulled this story off so well. The cameos they did were great, it gave me a fantastic farewell to Smallville, as well as a phenomenal send off for Oliver, the hero who started the Arrowverse.

I'm one happy DC fan. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    https://tvline.com/2020/01/15/did-crisis-on-infinite-earths-kill-smallville-clark-and-lois/

If anyone wondered what the fate of the Smallvilleverse was.

Also, their only regret was not being able to get Rosenbaum.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I cannot believe how well they pulled Crisis off....on tv....with a tv budget.

This crossover, for a guy like me who is an absolute DC guy, was my Endgame. I can't believe that they pulled this story off so well. The cameos they did were great, it gave me a fantastic farewell to Smallville, as well as a phenomenal send off for Oliver, the hero who started the Arrowverse.

I'm one happy DC fan. :D

I stopped watching the Arrowverse shows a couple of years ago and have only watched the crossovers. That said, I certainly enjoyed this one, even though I didn't get all the references.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yoooo the end of that was crazy
    THE HALL OF JUSTICE! Doom Patrol! Swamp Thing! Teen Titans! GREEN LANTERN?!

The Oliver tribute got to me in a way I didn't expect. The final battle was a big ole punch out and not particularly exciting, but all the fun character bits and everyone combined into one planet is awesome. Although apparently the multiverse is still a thing, just new!

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Yoooo the end of that was crazy
    THE HALL OF JUSTICE! Doom Patrol! Swamp Thing! Teen Titans! GREEN LANTERN?!

The Oliver tribute got to me in a way I didn't expect. The final battle was a big ole punch out and not particularly exciting, but all the fun character bits and everyone combined into one planet is awesome. Although apparently the multiverse is still a thing, just new!
    I grew up not too far from the real Hall of Justice, Union Terminal in Cincinnati.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/04/17/union-terminal-home-batman-superman/25939883/

News broke a couple days ago that Superman and Lois has been ordered straight to series. I'm so happy about that as I need more Superman shows in my life.

It's especially great since Krypton was cancelled on a horribly irritating cliff-hanger. :mad:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Also for anyone that wants it: I have a digital code for The Flash: Season 5 I'm giving away for free. First come first serve!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!

So it looks like they combined the Supergirl and Black Lightning Earths with Earth 1 to make Prime.

Earth 2 has become the JSA/ Stargirl world
    And each of the other big DC shows from streaming get their own Earths with Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, the recently announced Green Lantern, and the Superman Returns/Kingdom Come world. And potentially the DC movie verse too (I love that TV Barry is the one to give him the idea for the Flash name, lol)

Leaves them open for crossover potential still without having to tie them into the storylines of the Arrowverse. Smart.

With Earth 2 back, that means Harry and Jesse should be ok! Right? Please?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!

I hope so...

Jesse is on that show where God has a Facebook account.

https://tvline.com/2020/01/15/did-crisis-on-infinite-earths-kill-smallville-clark-and-lois/

If anyone wondered what the fate of the Smallvilleverse was.

Also, their only regret was not being able to get Rosenbaum.

I'm disappointed that they didn't air the fight between Batman and Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYCVnWStLrg

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    News broke a couple days ago that Superman and Lois has been ordered straight to series. I'm so happy about that as I need more Superman shows in my life.

It's especially great since Krypton was cancelled on a horribly irritating cliff-hanger. :mad:

I pray that one of the sons is named Damien.

And yes, I was looking forward to the Lobo show as the actor was so so good.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy