As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scorpions and Shujenga: Tabletop Games Folded 1000 Times

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So, Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount...

I can't say I'm too excited for it as I've never listened to Critical Role.

But maybe the setting is interesting! I won't play in it, because I favor my own, but if it presents interesting ideas I'll happily steal from it.

But as it is? Ehhhhh

New school of magic, Dunemancy. The world itself is...fine? It's like Europe with political lines circa the 40's

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So that new hero forge color thing is at over 200k less then an hour after launch

At 350k right now. I doubt ill back it but a real nice feature will be able to digitally paint the mini, which will be a boon to test color schemes before actually painting something.

I have the fine motor control of a water buffalo on methamphetamines, so this feature is the only way I'd get a nicely painted fig. I'm excited!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    So that new hero forge color thing is at over 200k less then an hour after launch

At 350k right now. I doubt ill back it but a real nice feature will be able to digitally paint the mini, which will be a boon to test color schemes before actually painting something.

I have the fine motor control of a water buffalo on methamphetamines, so this feature is the only way I'd get a nicely painted fig. I'm excited!

Im thinking one of these minis with a good wash will really pop for almost no effort.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Those really do look way better than I would have expected.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    $924k right now, only like 7 hours since the KS started goddamn

edit: 17 minutes later and it's at 936k lol

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I'm hoping we get some videos of the new machines doing prints of the minis once they get everything set up and running.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    had our session zero for Descent Into Avernus tonight

I was agonizing over spell choices for my con man Warlock, when I came across "Distort Value" from the Acquisitions Inc sourcebook

I can make an object 1 ft. on a side appear to be double or half its monetary value by adding illusory ornamentation or damage/blemishes, and at higher levels I can do it to bigger things

this is too perfect for my piece of shit hustler to not pick up and I knew in my heart it's what I needed

• Options
    I'm hoping we get some videos of the new machines doing prints of the minis once they get everything set up and running.

Yeah that would be crazy interesting. I already love watching high end 3D printers going

• Options

Yeah that would be crazy interesting. I already love watching high end 3D printers going

Resin printers are especially cool, which is what I think they're going to be using for the color prints

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

Resin printers are especially cool, which is what I think they're going to be using for the color prints

It's a polyjet style printer.

https://mimaki.com/product/3d/3d-inkjet/3duj-553/

It is literally like an ink jet print head that lays down a layer, hits it with UV that hardens it and then ink jets another layer down on top.

I don't see any videos on their site but there should be some of Objet printers on youtube which use the basic version of this tech.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Singleplayer d&d idea: similar to a singleplayer rpg videogame, the player creates the 'main' character as normal and the mechanical choices for the rest of the party. DM works with them to determine the background/personality of the rest of the party. Player controls them all during combat, but only has narrative control over the main character otherwise.

I suppose this'd need a similar narrative conceit to vidyagames, the main character being a leader/chosen/special type?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh figured I'd finally post that model I painted the other day.
    m9b1gck0w5t2.jpg
    wekmc2ke3qw0.jpg

I wish it turned out better but I'm rusty as hell. Plus my left arm is still sore from whatever I did to it.

No idea why the blue looks so splotchy and shiny, it's like 4 or 5 coats of army painter deep blue.

He could still use a wash with some ink to get the lowlights filled in. Then some varnish might take off the sheen a bit.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    So my Star Wars EoTE group has a very very large distrust of any droid. Might have something to do with ersatz Cave Johnson and his mechanical gang doing a good job trying to murder them all and almost stealing the ship, but I'm not sure.

Curiously, they still trust their mascot "Gonkers" which is just a standard Gonk Droid they bought from a merchant. But because they desperately want a contingent of their own battle droids, Gonkers has been wandering around the ship with a combat knife taped to the top of it. They speak to this droid as if it has any kind of sentience (it doesn't, it merely wanders about and says Gonk).

They took it a step forward and, having stolen the processing unit of an old B1 battle droid, grafted it into the Gonk droid. Now it can behave as a B1, but doesn't have a vocabulator yet, so still only says Gonk. To get around a lack of arms, they put two blaster pistols inside and because the roll for said mechanics check had double triumph, the blasters have gained the Linked quality. Now they have a gonk droid named Gonkers that has a combat knife taped on top, a battle droid processing unit, linked internal blaster pistols, but still moves around with the miserable speed and grace of a Gonk droid and can still only make the gonk noise.

Further, one member of the party has been hoarding weapons. When I told her I was going to start making her track her encumbrance because it was a little ridiculous to wander around in armor, with a vibro-axe, 4! blaster pistols, two heavy blaster pistols, a blaster carbine, a combat knife, a blaster rifle, and now a flame projector, in addition to like 15 stim packs and other misc. gear, she asked if she could buy a droid to carry some weapons around for her. So that's probably going to happen.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Make it another Gonk! droid.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I think one of the options is going to basically be a golf caddy.

"Ah, yes, for the Gamorreans I suggest the Blaster Rifle with Auto-fire, but the Hutt boss is going to require the flame projector or missile tube. Oh, you want the thermal detonator, very good ma'am, here you are, just let me polish that for you real quick."

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so my current campaign started with a cold open of a ship in a storm, being torn apart from the inside and out.
    Some dummy was transporting beasts to a monster zoo on the mainland. One of the potential exhibits made its way to shore and is terrorizing Harbor Island's northern forest.
    Episode 3 - The Confusing Cry of the Wendigo

Can our heroes defeat this fleet-footed(stumped) monstrosity?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

I think one of the options is going to basically be a golf caddy.

"Ah, yes, for the Gamorreans I suggest the Blaster Rifle with Auto-fire, but the Hutt boss is going to require the flame projector or missile tube. Oh, you want the thermal detonator, very good ma'am, here you are, just let me polish that for you real quick."

Gonk! droid with a garbage can glued to the top.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    So just finished a session with one of my groups where I play a dual wielding ranger, and besides some +2 magic battleaxes I couldn't think of any other neat magical items to get (we were basically given a fun shopping spree in a magical store and we'd ask if they had such and such item and the DM would decide or roll to see if they did). The shopping is done for now, but do y'all have any suggestions for things that I might look for in the future?

And yes, I know rangers and dual wielding are suboptimal, but I'm going for coolness (she uses two battleaxes and she throws handaxes)

Edit: oh, and we're mostly using vanilla stuff but the DM isn't totally against homebrew stuff. She's just as new as the rest of us though and might be iffy on some of it because she might not be able to know if it's overpowered or not

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    So just finished a session with one of my groups where I play a dual wielding ranger, and besides some +2 magic battleaxes I couldn't think of any other neat magical items to get (we were basically given a fun shopping spree in a magical store and we'd ask if they had such and such item and the DM would decide or roll to see if they did). The shopping is done for now, but do y'all have any suggestions for things that I might look for in the future?

And yes, I know rangers and dual wielding are suboptimal, but I'm going for coolness (she uses two battleaxes and she throws handaxes)

Edit: oh, and we're mostly using vanilla stuff but the DM isn't totally against homebrew stuff. She's just as new as the rest of us though and might be iffy on some of it because she might not be able to know if it's overpowered or not

You might look at defensive items, especially if you know you're going to be fighting a lot of monster type X or are hunting a particularly powerful Y. Utility magic items depend a lot on what kind of adventuring you're doing.

I've approached utility items by looking at things that (a) my character is good at but wants to have a broader skill set (my rogue is very good at persuading and lying to people, but I want to build a spy network and she's not good at investigating or organizing -- how do I use the former, plus magic, to enhance the latter?) or (b) my character isn't good at but by virtue of rolls/circumstance has become known for (I rolled two nat 20s on death saves in the same combat, and shortly after got an item that gave me advantage on death saves among other things) or (b) things you're bad at but still seem to come up a lot (I'm terrible at STR/CON saves but the monster roster our GM uses has a lot of those).

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Making cheap paper tokens for monsters...is there a common household item that is a 1" square or circle that I can glue them to so they won't blow across the grid if someone breathes too heavily? I feel like I should know this but I'm drawing a blank. I could just cut some cardboard I guess, but is that heavy enough?

• Options
    buy some cheap plastic poker chips?

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Making cheap paper tokens for monsters...is there a common household item that is a 1" square or circle that I can glue them to so they won't blow across the grid if someone breathes too heavily? I feel like I should know this but I'm drawing a blank. I could just cut some cardboard I guess, but is that heavy enough?

Hacky answer is spare change. Nickles and pennies and such. Slightly fancier is you'll find wooden discs at craft stores for fairly cheap.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Fuckin' poker chips, how did I not think of that.

Thanks y'all.

• Options
    Craft stores will carry a variety of wooden tokens that you can glue stuff to, and are dirt cheap.

• Options
    Craft stores will carry a variety of wooden tokens that you can glue stuff to, and are dirt cheap.

This too

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

Get something like these craft punches https://www.michaels.com/cutting-tools/punches/809188603

Then either corrugated cardboard or layers of cereal box cardboard glued together

Then glue the printed tokens to the cardboard

We've been using this system to run Pokemon rpgs for about four years now. I think I have three ziplock bags full of assorted captured pokemon from each campaign

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I use washers as well when a mini just doesn’t have any weight to it.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    How about 1" bulldog clips / binder clips? I was actually planning to make DIY paper minis with these as base, based on a DIY guide I saw somewhere.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I bring it up every once in awhile, but if you can get ahold of the Paizo Bestiary boxes or NPC boxes, those are pretty good for their price. Normally around $40, they come with cardboard punchouts of common creatures (dragons, goblins, orcs, etc) and have different sized plastic stands for creatures to be on, depending on creature size (medium, large, huge).

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Alternatively you can make wylochs paper minis and dive down the rabbit home which is crafting shit for D&D.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWWu9Ny8cW8

But in terms of time to effort with making paper minis the Paizo Beastery is worth the money.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Okay, those are like, way neater than I thought they’d be.

sarukun on
  • Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    DM's Guild/Drivethrurpg have their Australia Fire Relief bundles up now. If you'd like to give money to Australia and also get RPG books, this seems like a good solution.

https://www.dmsguild.com/promo.php

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Okay, those are like, way nearer than I thought they’d be.
    I have now watched a whole bunch of that dude's videos. I am tremendously impressed! I think the most valuable thing about them for me - an obsessive perfectionist - is how he very specifically doesn't waste a month trying to build the perfect, flawless, Golden Demon-tier piece of terrain; he spends a couple of hours making something that looks 90% as good, and it's completely fine because it's still 50% better than it has to be for tabletop quality.

• Options
    never die wrote: »
    I bring it up every once in awhile, but if you can get ahold of the Paizo Bestiary boxes or NPC boxes, those are pretty good for their price. Normally around $40, they come with cardboard punchouts of common creatures (dragons, goblins, orcs, etc) and have different sized plastic stands for creatures to be on, depending on creature size (medium, large, huge).

I have these and they are great!

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    DC Comics is putting out a D&D 5E compatible setting book.
    DC Comics is publishing a Dungeons & Dragons compatible sourcebook set in the world of its new fantasy series The Last God. The Last God: Tales from The Book of Ages is a 40-page sourcebook that will be published in April and will detail the "the rich history of the people, locations, schools of magic and creatures found throughout Cain Anuun," the setting of The Last God. Written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson with art by series artist Riccardo Federici and cover artist Kai Carpenter, the book will also contain Dungeons & Dragons 5E compatible playable races, subclasses, magic items, monsters and more designed by Nerd Poker DM Dan Telfer, and maps by cartographer Jared Blando.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    DC Comics is putting out a D&D 5E compatible setting book.
    DC Comics is publishing a Dungeons & Dragons compatible sourcebook set in the world of its new fantasy series The Last God. The Last God: Tales from The Book of Ages is a 40-page sourcebook that will be published in April and will detail the "the rich history of the people, locations, schools of magic and creatures found throughout Cain Anuun," the setting of The Last God. Written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson with art by series artist Riccardo Federici and cover artist Kai Carpenter, the book will also contain Dungeons & Dragons 5E compatible playable races, subclasses, magic items, monsters and more designed by Nerd Poker DM Dan Telfer, and maps by cartographer Jared Blando.

interesting

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've actually really been enjoying The Last God.

I mean, you need to calibrate your expectations going in: this is the kind of fantasy that starts with a map and has song lyrics in the back-matter. For a lot of folks, these are symptoms of a lack of creativity in the novel, and I can't blame them - every fantasy novel I've read that was of this format could be lovingly described as "trashy". The thing, though, is that I love trashy fantasy, so I am always forever down for this kind of story.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

I mean, you need to calibrate your expectations going in: this is the kind of fantasy that starts with a map and has song lyrics in the back-matter. For a lot of folks, these are symptoms of a lack of creativity in the novel, and I can't blame them - every fantasy novel I've read that was of this format could be lovingly described as "trashy". The thing, though, is that I love trashy fantasy, so I am always forever down for this kind of story.

Yea trashy is about my favorite fantasy genre to play in.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So, Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount...

I can't say I'm too excited for it as I've never listened to Critical Role.

But maybe the setting is interesting! I won't play in it, because I favor my own, but if it presents interesting ideas I'll happily steal from it.

But as it is? Ehhhhh

New school of magic, Dunemancy. The world itself is...fine? It's like Europe with political lines circa the 40's

This is more of a rant.
    I liked that D&D comic they were doing about 10? years ago The IDW series. But because when they came out with modules for the world they were in I was going though some hard nasty stuff so I did not get the Monster Vault: Threats to The Nentir Vale when I think was the only thing for it.
    Still on both fronts I was upset that they only printed stuff about the Nentir vale in that one supplement and they canceled the comic and went with boring all Drizzt [They for some reason went doubling down on Drizzt and his world even with the Kre'O as I would have paid good hard earned money for Tiamat in plastic bricks]
    Delduwath wrote: »

I looked it up when I read the article I am very curious about the world that it is in and what the book will be like as it looked very interesting

This discussion has been closed.