As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Thread S2E9: Crwth is Doing His Taxes in Another World?! part 2/3 SUB ENG

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    I've only seen the newer Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Anyways, one thing that I love that they get down rather well, is that fleet sizes essentially represent what you'd expect a space faring civilization with multiple colonized world, to throw together. I think a single fleet has thousands of ships.

Plenty of sci-fi shows, not just anime, where you have the multi-planet civilization and a single fleet barely surpasses a hundred ships. Star Trek and Star Wars both come to mind as being plenty guilty of this. I mean, if you're a multi-planet civilization, it shouldn't be hard to get the personnel and resources to field extremely large fleets; especially, given how much they could automate (be that straight computer control or run by a droid). I'm not entirely sure how badly I should criticize various gundams series on this front. On one hand, the only habitable world they have access to usually the earth, but they have space habitats and permanent human habitation on the moon. So it seems like some of the fleets we see in various gundam series are on the small size.

Gundam exists to sell model kits of giant robots.

Big fleets distract from the giant robots.

Counterpoint: Big fleets make giant robots look cool when they get dismantled by the giant robots.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Why doesn't Gundam, the largest of the mobile suits, simply eat all the others

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

Well first off the largest mobile suit isnt even a gundam

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

but the series is called gundam, how can the gundam not be the largest mobile suit

this doesn't make any sense

• Options

but the series is called gundam, how can the gundam not be the largest mobile suit

Theres a class of mech known as mobile armor. They can get very big

• Options

that doesn't sound like a mobile suit though, a mobile armour is clearly different right
    I'm doing a stupid bit

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

that doesn't sound like a mobile suit though, a mobile armour is clearly different right
    I'm doing a stupid bit

Usually mobile armor means its not humanoid.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Oh hey Big Zam

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    why don't they just put the kind of gun char uses to blow through the capital ships like tissue paper on all the capital ships

Char was good at sinking capital ships cause he would use his mobile suits speed to close in before their AA gunners could react and hit the ship in a weak point at what was effectively point blank.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I watched Hanebado! recently because I'm trying to go through all the funimation shows I was recommended by people before my sub runs out next week.

I liked it, then hated it but had to finish it, then liked it again, and then kinda hated it.
    The basic premise was good enough, the animation was very good, and I liked that it was a sports anime that didn't brutally lean on time dilation because that shit is exhausting.

I thought the stuff in the middle with the two rivals was a little silly, but then when they unleashed asshole ayano it was kinda great because I loved that her motivation was just to destroy her jerk mother who fuckin' walked out of her life for losing a game.

When Connie tries to be friends with her and Ayano just obliterates her in that match I've never been happier to cheer for someone who's almost the villain. When she came across the court after winning and asked "Remind me of the score again?" or whatever in her normal voice it was S+ shade.

But then she was even an asshole to her friends and like I just wanted one of her friends in 4 episodes before the end to say "hey what the fuck man". Like I think the evil ayano thing works well when it's mostly confined to the sport, because it shows how messed up she is because of what her mom did to her and how she reacted to it. But when it bled out all over the team (that she was desperately trying to be a part of like 5 episodes ago) and nobody really does anything it's super awkward. And then at the end I really wanted her to just double bird her mom and walk away, especially since her mom's reason for doing it is total horseshit. I also thought taking Ayano so far off model of her two "versions" in the final match was a weird decision that definitely didn't work.

All in all I don't regret watching it but I feel like there's a lot better show in there.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    apparently the hanebado manga is buck wild and very different compared to the anime someone please confirm

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I watched Hanebado! recently because I'm trying to go through all the funimation shows I was recommended by people before my sub runs out next week.

I liked it, then hated it but had to finish it, then liked it again, and then kinda hated it.
    The basic premise was good enough, the animation was very good, and I liked that it was a sports anime that didn't brutally lean on time dilation because that shit is exhausting.

I thought the stuff in the middle with the two rivals was a little silly, but then when they unleashed asshole ayano it was kinda great because I loved that her motivation was just to destroy her jerk mother who fuckin' walked out of her life for losing a game.

When Connie tries to be friends with her and Ayano just obliterates her in that match I've never been happier to cheer for someone who's almost the villain. When she came across the court after winning and asked "Remind me of the score again?" or whatever in her normal voice it was S+ shade.

But then she was even an asshole to her friends and like I just wanted one of her friends in 4 episodes before the end to say "hey what the fuck man". Like I think the evil ayano thing works well when it's mostly confined to the sport, because it shows how messed up she is because of what her mom did to her and how she reacted to it. But when it bled out all over the team (that she was desperately trying to be a part of like 5 episodes ago) and nobody really does anything it's super awkward. And then at the end I really wanted her to just double bird her mom and walk away, especially since her mom's reason for doing it is total horseshit. I also thought taking Ayano so far off model of her two "versions" in the final match was a weird decision that definitely didn't work.

All in all I don't regret watching it but I feel like there's a lot better show in there.

Yes I agree with all of this.
    I wanted the final catharsis to be Ayano telling her mom what a horrible person she is and to go fuck herself, and embrace playing for herself rather than for her mother's manipulative, abusive love. What the ending actually was was awful.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    why don't they just put the kind of gun char uses to blow through the capital ships like tissue paper on all the capital ships
    A good torpedo from a bomber could sink a battleship. I think it's like that.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Been watching Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life? and can't decide if my favorite bit is when Mile uses her storage magic, when Pauline absolutely terrifies someone while smiling, or when Mile suddenly DBZ-rushes someone that underestimated her.

From the early eposides, it has to be when the mook that was going to face Mile just Nope.jpg the fuck out of there. While having the same angry expression.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Me when I first saw Food Wars on my recommendation queue:

"This sounds silly...even for me."

Me after watching the first season in one sitting: "Why didn't I watch this masterpiece sooner!?"

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Food wars would have been my anime of the decade if bnha didn’t exist

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I couldn't handle how horny Food Wars was

which is a shame because I'm all about the idea otherwise

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Having seen the first season via Toonami, it seems to come in waves. Like, the first episode is what the actual fuck, then it dies back gradually and stays there for a good while, it spikes a little in the fried chicken mafia arc, and then it’s back to the first episode’s level in the last episode.

Personally, I prefer the ones where the reactions are Just Weird instead of Super Horny. Insane metaphors are fun.

Enlong on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I couldn't handle how horny Food Wars was

which is a shame because I'm all about the idea otherwise

Try out Yakitate Japan.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I wish the Food Wars didn't just dive straight off a cliff in the later arcs, cause that's a fun show otherwise.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I've only seen the newer Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Anyways, one thing that I love that they get down rather well, is that fleet sizes essentially represent what you'd expect a space faring civilization with multiple colonized world, to throw together. I think a single fleet has thousands of ships.

Plenty of sci-fi shows, not just anime, where you have the multi-planet civilization and a single fleet barely surpasses a hundred ships. Star Trek and Star Wars both come to mind as being plenty guilty of this. I mean, if you're a multi-planet civilization, it shouldn't be hard to get the personnel and resources to field extremely large fleets; especially, given how much they could automate (be that straight computer control or run by a droid). I'm not entirely sure how badly I should criticize various gundams series on this front. On one hand, the only habitable world they have access to usually the earth, but they have space habitats and permanent human habitation on the moon. So it seems like some of the fleets we see in various gundam series are on the small size.

Counterpoint: Big fleets make giant robots look cool when they get dismantled by the giant robots.

Also big fleets could be mostly carriers that allow for the deployment of more mobile suits.

I honestly got the impression that the various nations in the Gundam franchises had the resources and personnel to field larger deployments than what we see.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    ph blake wrote: »
    I wish the Food Wars didn't just dive straight off a cliff in the later arcs, cause that's a fun show otherwise.

Honestly they could have stopped at the end of this current season and nothing would have been lost

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »

Honestly they could have stopped at the end of this current season and nothing would have been lost

Probably would’ve been hilarious for the show to end with Erina never getting to actually do the rival thing.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Oh and while I'd gotten a bit tired of Sawano's work the OST for Thunderbolt Fantasty managed to keep me hooked. Its got like some extra stylistic flair to it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mai01usmc6o
    edit: this is better. warning for graphic puppet violence

Gundi on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

Also big fleets could be mostly carriers that allow for the deployment of more mobile suits.

I honestly got the impression that the various nations in the Gundam franchises had the resources and personnel to field larger deployments than what we see.

This is kind of the point of the original mobile suits in universe. You see it most notably in The Origin. When the first mobile suits began to appear, the battleships couldn’t deal with them. They’re too fast and get in too close, basically they’re torpedo bombers.

That’s the whole deal with The White Base. It’s basically the federations first carrier. They’re very deliberately invoking the invention and use of aircraft in naval warfare.

• Options
    So I gotta ask. What actually is an Eizouken, and what does keeping your hands off it have to do with kids dreaming to make an anime movie?

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I imagine it is going to be a revelatory title like rosebud or dr.stone or bleach

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Eizouken" roughly translates to "Video Research Club," which I wager is the Totally Not Anime Club they are going to form in order to make their own anime while technically respecting the "No Anime Club" rule.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it goes here or the movies thread, but I saw Weathering With You tonight.

It's good! It's not as good as Your Name, but those highs are hard to live up to and I can't really knock it for that.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    "Eizouken" roughly translates to "Video Research Club," which I wager is the Totally Not Anime Club they are going to form in order to make their own anime while technically respecting the "No Anime Club" rule.
    That's silly, you just need to make it an attack on titan club or a dragonball club until tube repeals the no anime club rule.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

One of the girls calls it that in the second episode

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
  • Options
    Speaking of Eizouken I am curious how the next episode spans out
    The school really screwed the pooch leaving auch a dilapidated building on campus to begin with. I wonder if they'll get better facilities

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Eizouken runs on pure imagination and I love it. Also I can't stop listening to the OP.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76sNmqMzUuI

The full Eizouken opening song was just posted. The music video is the right amount of weird.

Isorn on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Gundam 00 does pretty well at showing what kind of a fleet a fully militarized Earth can put out.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Can't wait until Easy Breezy shows up on spotify. *vibrates in anticipation*

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Watched the second episode of this Bofuri show (the one about maxing out her defense) and I'm kinda liking it? It still has some of those tropes that bug me like "who the hell would design a broken ass game like this" and "literally no one else in the world has thought to do this?" but if you can get past that, there's actually a pretty fun show here.
    I am getting a kick out of the protagonist just eating everything in hopes of getting different skills/resistances/immunities. Also, if you can't be bothered to invest in agility, just use your friend as a mount!

This game does need some major PvP balancing though.

This discussion has been closed.