As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chris Terrio, [Rise of Skywalker] writer, shops at Goop.com - open spoilers!

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I really hope that the Obi-Wan show has a lot of Obi-Wan reckoning with just how bad he, and the Jedi as an institution, fucked up.

Like I don't need full on surly drunken asshole Logan style Obi-Wan but

Somewhere in that vein, please

I think the best version of Obi Wan is actually Luke in episode 8.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Qui Gon isn't the best Jedi, he's the most Jedi.

In that they all suck and his actions represent all the problems they had.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I don’t understand the argument of “this was always the story of one family, the conclusion had to be about lineage”

(Not singling anyone out, it comes up a bunch!)

The beginning and middle being about one family and then the end being about ordinary, unrelated people rising up to 1. Be inspired by the good members of that family and take up their cause and 2. Put a final stop to the actions of the bad members of that family

Seems like a valid narrative decision

And seemed like what they were going for!

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    A theme park actor playing Rey answered the last name question with “I used to be Rey from nowhere, but now I’m Rey from the resistance“ and that’s so much better.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    "Rey's my middle name. First name Fu, last name Osa."

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Rey Noonien Singh

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    She gets really into selling sunglasses and takes the name Ban

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Her name is Reynigo Montoya, you made her parents into plot contrivances, prepare to die.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I really hope that the Obi-Wan show has a lot of Obi-Wan reckoning with just how bad he, and the Jedi as an institution, fucked up.

Like I don't need full on surly drunken asshole Logan style Obi-Wan but

Somewhere in that vein, please

I think the best version of Obi Wan is actually Luke in episode 8.

I would say the best version is the Obi-wan from Rebels.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    So Kylo's lightsaber was all crackly because it used a flawed khyber crystal, right?

and it seems like a good reason for that would have been that Kylo had had someone retrieve the crystal from Vader's RotJ sabre, but it had taken a real long fall down the Death Star shaft when Luke cut Vader's hand off and got damaged in the process

and Kylo being Kylo he just HAD to have it anyway, leading to the janky-ass candlewax-dribble blade we all know and love

but, to my knowledge, they never said that that's what it was, did they? It's just a random busted up khyber crystal of no prior significance?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The other version I've heard is that it was his training saber, but it got kind of busted up during the whole "Uncle Luke tried to kill me" thing and needed some rough repairs.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    So Kylo's lightsaber was all crackly because it used a flawed khyber crystal, right?
    and it seems like a good reason for that would have been that Kylo had had someone retrieve the crystal from Vader's RotJ sabre, but it had taken a real long fall down the Death Star shaft when Luke cut Vader's hand off and got damaged in the process
    and Kylo being Kylo he just HAD to have it anyway, leading to the janky-ass candlewax-dribble blade we all know and love
    but, to my knowledge, they never said that that's what it was, did they? It's just a random busted up khyber crystal of no prior significance?

IIRC, it used to be that Sith couldn't find authentic naturally occurring khyber crystals. Either because the Jedi carefully controlled all sources of khyber, or because natural crystals don't like dark side users and wouldn't attune to them.
    Exactly why doesn't matter, just that the Sith had to make artificial crystals for their light sabers, which gave them the distinct red color.
    Ren lacked the patience, training and common sense to make his crystal correctly, so it's all crackly and and bad. I'm sure there was the chance for some subtext about him being conflicted while making his evil lightsaber, but if such was intended it never really came across.

But, that's drawn from the assorted art books and visual dictionaries and some old EU and probably a dash of head canon thrown in for good measure. Nothing was ever actually said in the movie about why his lightsaber was crackly and bad. Which would have been a cool bit in Ep8, with Force Projection Luke talking to Ren about his lightsaber, possibly echoing his conversation with Kenobi in the hut ("An elegant weapon, of a more civilized age...") and his conversations with Vader in RotJ (I see you have constructed a new lightsaber..."), but dripping in Old Luke brand sarcasm.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The current version is that a Sith has to kill a Jedi, take their crystal and meditate with it to like, pump it full of hate and negativity, and it turns red

Interesting note on Kylo's saber is that the prop looks almost exactly like the prop for his training saber in the flashback with Luke, but painted black and with the crossguard added

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The current version is that a Sith has to kill a Jedi, take their crystal and meditate with it to like, pump it full of hate and negativity, and it turns red

Interesting note on Kylo's saber is that the prop looks almost exactly like the prop for his training saber in the flashback with Luke, but painted black and with the crossguard added

I thought this was a really neat addition (from the Charles Soule Darth Vader comic). In some sense, the Kyber crystal is alive and the whole Jedi attachment to it is that they attune their Force senses to the crystal living in their weapon. So what the Sith do is... torture theirs and make it insane basically? That seems pretty metal and on brand for a Sith, rather than just "they really like the red color."

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

I thought this was a really neat addition (from the Charles Soule Darth Vader comic). In some sense, the Kyber crystal is alive and the whole Jedi attachment to it is that they attune their Force senses to the crystal living in their weapon. So what the Sith do is... torture theirs and make it insane basically? That seems pretty metal and on brand for a Sith, rather than just "they really like the red color."

Really they just break their oaths and they lose the ability to use the force, too.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

It also runs with the original idea of the force where "The dark side" doesn't really exist and dark side users actually twist the force to their own will.

Quire.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the chewbacca fakeout didn't work for me mostly because I was like, "this isn't as cool as when they dropped a moon on him"

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Could have had a cool moment where he was duelling Rey and Rey went, "So you want to be just like Vader huh?" and then used the force to make his crystal explode and blow his hand off.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Could have had a cool moment where he was duelling Rey and Rey went, "So you want to be just like Vader huh?" and then used the force to make his crystal explode and blow his hand off.

Yeah wait a second, how is Ben a Skywalker if he still has both his hands

Screwed that one right up

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I legit might make a little comic or something about this. Just 3 panels of Force Luke dunking on his fuck boy nephew.

Like we deserved.

Make the twitter and follow only Emo Kylo Ren

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

LAMARCKISM IS DEAD!

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

I mean, nobody lost a limb in any ST movies.

That is a huge failure.

• Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    One day I might have kids and I'll want to show them the Star Wars films.

Except the OT is rehashed in the later films and it turns out none of the story beats or sacrifices mattered so I won't waste time on those.

And the PT is just a bunch of set up for Anakin's arc which didn't matter in the end so there's no point there either.

So just the ST. Well, except IX pretends XIII doesn't exist, so maybe just XII and IX.

So there you are kids, Star Wars: The JJ Abrams Duology

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

I mean, nobody lost a limb in any ST movies.

That is a huge failure.

No, there was a single, bloodless limb that Ren chopped off in the intro sequence while he was slaughtering some unnamed NPCs.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Except the OT is rehashed in the later films and it turns out none of the story beats or sacrifices mattered so I won't waste time on those.

And the PT is just a bunch of set up for Anakin's arc which didn't matter in the end so there's no point there either.

So just the ST. Well, except IX pretends XIII doesn't exist, so maybe just XII and IX.

you're a monster.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

you're a monster.

Yeah, you should have them watch Solo before Episode VII so they can be like "wait, is that the Millenium Falcon? Oh my god, it's so old! Oh my god, Han Solo is so old!"

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking about why the seeing star killers base lasers bothered me for a good part of yesterday. Because people are right, it shouldn't be a big thing. It's a cool visual and star wars has never been about hard scifi, so why should this be so egregious. I thought maybe it was the fact that it seems like a very modern flashy visual, and star wars has always been sorta old tymee with its filmmaking style, and that might be part of it, but star wars has always also tried to push tech as far as it would go. Then I realized, it is a lazy short hand for an emotional reaction. Honestly, I don't think any of Abrams works have made me feel anything other than "cool." The exception of this is the moments with Ben and Han. But that moment when the Hosnian system is destroyed, there should be emotion. But there isn't. For one part because no one we know or care about, or even the entire system has been brought up before so we have no inherit buy in to the attack, but then because seconds after, the first order attacks. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this happens a lot in JJ star wars, moments that should have emotions are undercut by the need for a very fast action scene. The first look at the falcon? 2 seconds and then BOOM action. Rey's lightsaber vision? A lot of quick cuts (this was slightly more effective as it gave use the same feeling of disorientation). Even hans death, the quiet after feels a little too short before we are wooshed to another gun fight. I think back to ANH. We see the explosion, but we also see Kenobi's reaction. We sit with it for a moment of quiet. Same for Anakins and Yodas deaths, even the first shot of the second death star is given a few moments for wonder and horror. In the prequels, which struggle with emotion, we see Qui gons death, order 66 montage, Anakin before he goes to Palpatines office, and the whole immolation scene. In ep 8, Luke's passing, the hyperspace weapon, all of those are allowed more breaths than any moment in TFA. TROS is even worse with this.
    The bases lasers bothered me because I should feel something and I don't. Even in resistance, a show aimed at fairly young kids, the moment is given weight because Kazudo is from there, his family is there, and there is a little moment of just terror when he realizes his family is GONE. That animated moment was way more effective of communicating weight than any of JJs stuff.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

Damn, they're gonna let JJ cap another trilogy?

Alternate Take:. FF XII is a better Star Wars than the ST.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I've been thinking about why the seeing star killers base lasers bothered me for a good part of yesterday. Because people are right, it shouldn't be a big thing. It's a cool visual and star wars has never been about hard scifi, so why should this be so egregious. I thought maybe it was the fact that it seems like a very modern flashy visual, and star wars has always been sorta old tymee with its filmmaking style, and that might be part of it, but star wars has always also tried to push tech as far as it would go. Then I realized, it is a lazy short hand for an emotional reaction. Honestly, I don't think any of Abrams works have made me feel anything other than "cool." The exception of this is the moments with Ben and Han. But that moment when the Hosnian system is destroyed, there should be emotion. But there isn't. For one part because no one we know or care about, or even the entire system has been brought up before so we have no inherit buy in to the attack, but then because seconds after, the first order attacks. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this happens a lot in JJ star wars, moments that should have emotions are undercut by the need for a very fast action scene. The first look at the falcon? 2 seconds and then BOOM action. Rey's lightsaber vision? A lot of quick cuts (this was slightly more effective as it gave use the same feeling of disorientation). Even hans death, the quiet after feels a little too short before we are wooshed to another gun fight. I think back to ANH. We see the explosion, but we also see Kenobi's reaction. We sit with it for a moment of quiet. Same for Anakins and Yodas deaths, even the first shot of the second death star is given a few moments for wonder and horror. In the prequels, which struggle with emotion, we see Qui gons death, order 66 montage, Anakin before he goes to Palpatines office, and the whole immolation scene. In ep 8, Luke's passing, the hyperspace weapon, all of those are allowed more breaths than any moment in TFA. TROS is even worse with this.
    The bases lasers bothered me because I should feel something and I don't. Even in resistance, a show aimed at fairly young kids, the moment is given weight because Kazudo is from there, his family is there, and there is a little moment of just terror when he realizes his family is GONE. That animated moment was way more effective of communicating weight than any of JJs stuff.

This is a MUCH better (and very correct) criticism of that moment in the film.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    When you combine the PT, the OT, and the ST, you get a real POS! :D

PNk1Ml4.png
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Things the movie after Last Jedi no longer needed to cover in any way:
    1. Rey's parents & origins
    2. Redemption potential for Kylo

Things the movie after Last Jedi should probably include:
    1. Follow up on Rose & Finn's relationship. Maybe not a must, but seems like something is called for.
    2. Have ghost Luke bothering Kylo
    3. Since each major character was challenged with defining themselves going forward, maybe show their progress there. Does Poe step up and be a leader vs a hotshot? How does Finn advance the rebellion beyond self sacrifice attempts? What does Rey's own path of the force entail? What're Kylo's own goals now that he's free of his masters and the First Order is essentially in control?

akajaybay on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Something I missed about the lead up to episode 9 were obvious character confrontations that needed to be resolved, like Han and Leia, Luke and Obi-wan, and Luke and Vader. The cast from 8 on doesn't really need to do anything other than continue to grow by themselves, which gave Mr. Terrio more plot freedom than a trilogy capstone usually has.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    "Everything you ever wanted, in the worst way possible."

TROS was made with a nigh-endless supply of Monkey Paws.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Palps Palps Palpatine

Star Wars Greatest Love Machine

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Something something women's health something something Palp smear.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Something something women's health something something Palp smear.

FUCK.

Is what Palpantine did on the reg

Quire.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    At the EmPalSuRecon centre.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    EmPalObGynInVitFert Clinic

Oh brilliant