As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So for those of you who watched Messiah on Netflix: does it have a complete story or is it 10 hours of maybe it's supernatural/maybe it's not bullshit followed by an uncertain finale episode? I'd like to give it a shot, but really don't feel like getting burned by one of those shows.

Also, the Ilana Glazer standup special on Amazon is good *if* you really like her and/or Broad City. It's a very unpolished routine and frankly she's not a great standup. I liked it. She's running on pure charisma and a coupla good jokes (and some real clunkers), so if you're into that, get thee to it. Otherwise, it might not be your bag.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Circle, post to streaming thread:

"Ok guys, I think I've become addicted to this stupid Circle show. It's just the absolutely most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I cannot get over how hilarious it sounds for people to dictate their social media posts to an imaginary robot. Heart emoji, crying laughing emoji, shame emoji."

Send post.

I...can't wait until Wednesday when this stupid show it on. I saw it pop up on Netflix and as a joke I watched the first one. Now I'm caught up and wish I could just binge it and be done. It's such a disaster but I can't look away.

I put this on last night as a result of reading these comments because I was doing the infinite-scroll deal and just had to start something. I was prepared to shut it down quickly because I was sure it would annoy me but...yeah. It's stupid enough that I now somehow love it.

Unrelated recommendation I don't know if I have seen mentioned here: Seth Meyers new Netflix stand-up Lobby Baby is pretty damn good. I didn't expect much but I was very pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    swaylow wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Circle, post to streaming thread:

"Ok guys, I think I've become addicted to this stupid Circle show. It's just the absolutely most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I cannot get over how hilarious it sounds for people to dictate their social media posts to an imaginary robot. Heart emoji, crying laughing emoji, shame emoji."

Send post.

I...can't wait until Wednesday when this stupid show it on. I saw it pop up on Netflix and as a joke I watched the first one. Now I'm caught up and wish I could just binge it and be done. It's such a disaster but I can't look away.

I put this on last night as a result of reading these comments because I was doing the infinite-scroll deal and just had to start something. I was prepared to shut it down quickly because I was sure it would annoy me but...yeah. It's stupid enough that I now somehow love it.

Unrelated recommendation I don't know if I have seen mentioned here: Seth Meyers new Netflix stand-up Lobby Baby is pretty damn good. I didn't expect much but I was very pleasantly surprised.

What I really want is a "making of The Circle" show because I need to better understand how all these clowns operate the clown show.

I doubt you're at this part yet but my favorite moment so far involved Sammie just non-chalantly using her boobs as lasers. Like she just kind of grabs them and points them in different directions while going "pew" "pew".

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    So for those of you who watched Messiah on Netflix: does it have a complete story or is it 10 hours of maybe it's supernatural/maybe it's not bullshit followed by an uncertain finale episode? I'd like to give it a shot, but really don't feel like getting burned by one of those shows.

Also, the Ilana Glazer standup special on Amazon is good *if* you really like her and/or Broad City. It's a very unpolished routine and frankly she's not a great standup. I liked it. She's running on pure charisma and a coupla good jokes (and some real clunkers), so if you're into that, get thee to it. Otherwise, it might not be your bag.

I would put it strongly into the second category. I thought the show was generally engaging, if a bit slow, but yeah I'm not thrilled with the whole vague 'is he or isn't he'.
    The fact that they specifically showed that the kid that found the crash at the end had a history of making exaggerated claims with the whole lion conversation was really disappointing to me, since it heavily implies that they are going to keep it ambiguous going into the next season as well. I'll probably watch an episode or two of season 2 to confirm, but if it continues in that vein then I'm out.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    eMoander wrote: »

I would put it strongly into the second category. I thought the show was generally engaging, if a bit slow, but yeah I'm not thrilled with the whole vague 'is he or isn't he'.
    The fact that they specifically showed that the kid that found the crash at the end had a history of making exaggerated claims with the whole lion conversation was really disappointing to me, since it heavily implies that they are going to keep it ambiguous going into the next season as well. I'll probably watch an episode or two of season 2 to confirm, but if it continues in that vein then I'm out.

That sounds like it's enough for me to pass for now until the show develops. Thanks!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i may have suffered a head injury but in case i didn't post this. If you enjoyed Lost in Space season 1 on Netflix then i believe you will enjoy Lost in Space season 2. There's a point in the season where you kind of think...ok they can't keep doing the "everything that can, will go wrong" and then they change it up. Also Parker Posie.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i may have suffered a head injury but in case i didn't post this. If you enjoyed Lost in Space season 1 on Netflix then i believe you will enjoy Lost in Space season 2. There's a point in the season where you kind of think...ok they can't keep doing the "everything that can, will go wrong" and then they change it up. Also Parker Posie.
    Do you think she is dead dead?

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    The Circle is finished thank goodness.

Loved how it ended and all the final five.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hmmm. Season 3 of Mindhunter has apparently been put on hold and the cast released from their contracts while Fincher goes off an makes a movie.

That is somewhat sucky news.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

I had to put it down a way’s into it, because for a show who’s gimmick is “Oh no trouble>Do some science>We’re ok now” it made some frankly, terrible errors on that front. Normally not a problem, it’s family friendly sci-fi, but I mean, they multiple times say that ships emit an “audio signature”. In space.

Also the whole
    This box isn’t heated we’re going to freeze in space is something a thirty second google would show as being complete horseshit

Norgoth on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    After watching the pilot of the Netflix Dracula show, I can say that it is the kind of bad television that is so bad, and yet so ridiculous, that it is extremely enjoyable. It belongs in such rarified company as The Cape and Zero Hour. Every single creative decision is worse than the one before it; the show tops itself in badness every three minutes. It’s faithful to the source material when it shouldn’t be, and then its deviations are an amazing combination of contrived, predictable, and batshit insane. Also, Dracula will not stop punning.

The fact that the pedigree here is Moffat and the other Sherlock guys is the shaving cream on this urinal cake. That they could make something this catastrophically misjudged is baffling; that they would have done much, much better to ape their own Sherlock decisions in terms of content (why the hell wouldn’t you modernize this???) than in form (the three feature-length episode structure is awful for Dracula, which is an episodic novel that just doesn’t divide that way) is equally confounding.

I am truly excited to watch the next episode. I hope it gets six (awful) seasons and a (terrible) movie!

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    After watching the pilot of the Netflix Dracula show, I can say that it is the kind of bad television that is so bad, and yet so ridiculous, that it is extremely enjoyable. It belongs in such rarified company as The Cape and Zero Hour. Every single creative decision is worse than the one before it; the show tops itself in badness every three minutes. It’s faithful to the source material when it shouldn’t be, and then its deviations are an amazing combination of contrived, predictable, and batshit insane. Also, Dracula will not stop punning.

The fact that the pedigree here is Moffat and the other Sherlock guys is the shaving cream on this urinal cake. That they could make something this catastrophically misjudged is baffling; that they would have done much, much better to ape their own Sherlock decisions in terms of content (why the hell wouldn’t you modernize this???) than in form (the three feature-length episode structure is awful for Dracula, which is an episodic novel that just doesn’t divide that way) is equally confounding.

I am truly excited to watch the next episode. I hope it gets six (awful) seasons and a (terrible) movie!

Counter point, its incredibly enjoyable to watch. And one of your criticisms is about the show is completely wrong by the end of episode 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Also it's a one and done season - this isn't a show that's coming back.

Also it's not attempting to adapt the novel faithfully, it's taking what it likes and making three films out of it. One about Harker's imprisonment, one about the sea journey (which is only a few pages in the novel) and one ... about what happens after in England. The episodic structure of the novel is neither here nor there.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Amazon is not going to be making a Dark Tower show after all, it seems. They also announced a bunch of the cast for the LotR show, but not whom they're playing. The only person you'd probably recognise, and even this is a stretch, is the guy who played Benjen Stark.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Amazon is not going to be making a Dark Tower show after all, it seems. They also announced a bunch of the cast for the LotR show, but not whom they're playing. The only person you'd probably recognise, and even this is a stretch, is the guy who played Benjen Stark.

I recognized him and the guy who played young Ned Stark right away. Nobody else though.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh so the Netflix Dracula show is the same as the BBC show, I was wondering why Dracula was becoming fetch again

And this is why I get annoyed at “Netflix Originals” being so liberally applied

• Options

It's definitely an homage to Hammer Horror films with a modern twist, but I'm not sure if it's working. I'm only an episode in, but I don't know that the exercise appeals to me all that much.

• Options

I'd like to watch a Dark Tower series where (book spoilers I guess?):
    Roland gets to the Tower at the end of every season and the next season he starts again, but it's a totally new take on the same trip with some new actors a la American Horror Story. It'd never...ever...fly, but man it'd be neat to see done.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Roland gets to the Tower at the end of every season and the next season he starts again, but it's a totally new take on the same trip with some new actors a la American Horror Story. It'd never...ever...fly, but man it'd be neat to see done.

Thats a pretty genius idea.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I think you could do this like a sort of Groundhog Day on a grand-scale thing. But you'd need to have some sort of element carried over from one season to the next and start mixing up the specifics of the journey for it not to get stale quickly.

It could certainly be damn cool if you could nail down a good arc for where you want the character to go over the course of the X seasons you want the show to run.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I think you could do this like a sort of Groundhog Day on a grand-scale thing. But you'd need to have some sort of element carried over from one season to the next and start mixing up the specifics of the journey for it not to get stale quickly.

It could certainly be damn cool if you could nail down a good arc for where you want the character to go over the course of the X seasons you want the show to run.

I could see you doing this like...4 seasons.

It would be pretty great.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Oh so the Netflix Dracula show is the same as the BBC show, I was wondering why Dracula was becoming fetch again

Netflix Original has absolutely no meaning and it is incredibly frustrating

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Doesn't it just mean it's exclusive to Netflix for streaming in the US?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Counter point, its incredibly enjoyable to watch. And one of your criticisms is about the show is completely wrong by the end of episode 2.

It is very enjoyable! I am sincerely delighted by how stupid and bad it is. I will definitely watch the next episode.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Doesn't it just mean it's exclusive to Netflix for streaming in the US*?

*INSERT TERRITORY HERE

Yes but it is applied to stuff they made themselves and stuff they bought in equal measure, which is deliberately confusing. "Original" has a certain weight to it in terms of creation but at the moment it's basically that "I made this" cartoon but for streaming.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Doesn't it just mean it's exclusive to Netflix for streaming in the US*?

*INSERT TERRITORY HERE

Yes but it is applied to stuff they made themselves and stuff they bought in equal measure, which is deliberately confusing. "Original" has a certain weight to it in terms of creation but at the moment it's basically that "I made this" cartoon but for streaming.

Should've done Originals for stuff they made and Presents for stuff they're exclusively distributing.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Hey! People are talking about the messiah...

I have a theory that explains the pacing of the show and what the show is attempting to do. Spoilers inside.

The is he divine or a conman question of the first season is a red herring.

You may or not be aware Al-Masih ad-Dajjal (arabic for false prophet) is the Islamic anti-Christ figure. He refers to himself as Al-Massif through out the show and is even called Al-Masih ad-Dajjal at one point (the young black american male calls him this) and a false prophet a few other times. He's also refereed to as the eye of the storm.

The show broadcasts this by repeating the same theme over and over again. He performs 'miracles' with real supernatural power, but the miracles are false. Whatever good they do is ultimately undone. The miracles are only performed to advance whatever his agenda may be. Just off the top of my head...

The Syrians he freed from Isis and led to Israel, he abandons. They waste away at the border and eventually head back and turn to religious extremists. His 'miracle' only leads the people to their doom, bring attention to himself, and cause international strife.

The church spared from being burned down, is burnt down. This is kind of a big one. The pastor goes back and burns down the church in the last episode.

The girl with cancer, dies. He shoots the dog. He has no message or truth for the people. All he has done so far is spread strife and suffering.

Dude's the anti-Christ. My expectation is for the harming everyone around him and being a general shit-storm magnet to intensify next season. Seems like the girl and the boy, whatever their names are, might be his foils going forward. She has visions and he seems to have his own connection to the divine.

I'm not sure why other people aren't seeing it. Anyway, I thought the show was pretty neat.

furbat on
  • Options
    Watchmen is also not going to be continuing, apparently, after the showrunner bowed out. Haven't seen it, so I dunno if it ended with threads unresolved.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Watchmen is also not going to be continuing, apparently, after the showrunner bowed out. Haven't seen it, so I dunno if it ended with threads unresolved.

I’m pleased with this decision.

It ended in the way that the comic ended, in that trying to pick up exactly where it left off would make for an inferior product.

It was a great show, and ended well.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

It ended in the way that the comic ended, in that trying to pick up exactly where it left off would make for an inferior product.

Specifically Lindelof seems to have said he has done and he had no more story to tell. That's certainly one of the good times to end a thing.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Good for him I guess.

In other news I finished Carole & Tuesday. The Netflix Anime made by Sinichiro Watanabe, the guy who made Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy.

I belive that it is equal to his earlier series which for Anime fans is saying something(sorry for talking about Anime here, but its about one specific series not the genre). Its about two girls named Carole and Tuesday that meet up and decide to become a music duo. Its not an Idol anime, so there is none of the synchronized dancing if that's your thing sorry. Its really about two struggling musicians trying to make it big. There isn't any romantic subplots to speak of, no fanservice beyond the music itself. even the anime style is subdued. like you could belive that these where drawings of actual people if you squint a little. Speaking of the music, since its a Watanabe production its essential to the show and every song is sung in English(except one in french). Its very inspired by late 70s, early 80s pop music and is very good IMO.

I watched it one episode at the time over a period of 24 days, because somethings work best if savored instead of binged. I feel that made it better for me, since I could focus on the songs, which was important for a series about music.

ps, even the so called antagonist had her own storyline that was separate from main characters, creating a contrast between them.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »

Hey! People are talking about the messiah...

I have a theory that explains the pacing of the show and what the show is attempting to do. Spoilers inside.

The is he divine or a conman question of the first season is a red herring.

You may or not be aware Al-Masih ad-Dajjal (arabic for false prophet) is the Islamic anti-Christ figure. He refers to himself as Al-Massif through out the show and is even called Al-Masih ad-Dajjal at one point (the young black american male calls him this) and a false prophet a few other times. He's also refereed to as the eye of the storm.

The show broadcasts this by repeating the same theme over and over again. He performs 'miracles' with real supernatural power, but the miracles are false. Whatever good they do is ultimately undone. The miracles are only performed to advance whatever his agenda may be. Just off the top of my head...

The Syrians he freed from Isis and led to Israel, he abandons. They waste away at the border and eventually head back and turn to religious extremists. His 'miracle' only leads the people to their doom, bring attention to himself, and cause international strife.

The church spared from being burned down, is burnt down. This is kind of a big one. The pastor goes back and burns down the church in the last episode.

The girl with cancer, dies. He shoots the dog. He has no message or truth for the people. All he has done so far is spread strife and suffering.

Dude's the anti-Christ. My expectation is for the harming everyone around him and being a general shit-storm magnet to intensify next season. Seems like the girl and the boy, whatever their names are, might be his foils going forward. She has visions and he seems to have his own connection to the divine.

I'm not sure why other people aren't seeing it. Anyway, I thought the show was pretty neat.

I'm with you on all your points, and I think its a reasonable interpretation. Like I said, I found the show generally pretty good and if they really lean into that in the next season, it could be great! However, my worry is exactly the concern that straygatsby brought up.
    It's to be expected with a show of this type I guess that the first season is all 'mystery' and the audience is kept guessing in the dark, but it will get old real fast if they keep doing it. When they open the last episode explicitly on the little kid and clearly illustrate him to be a habitual 'exaggerator', I wasn't quite sure where they were going, but I immediately rolled my eyes when he was the one who found the crash at the end. They don't explicitly show anything about whether the resurrection was real, and having the only witness being someone the show purposefully went out of its way to discredit in his intro says to me they are planning to keep up the uncertainty through next season which will get tiresome really quickly.

Sidenote on symbolism, it's probably blaringly obvious, but having the two main characters being Avi and Eve, where Eve is trying unsuccessfully to have a baby but then has sex with Avi, seems to clearly imply Adam & Eve and Eve is going to get pregnant and have a miracle baby. This would obviously tie right into your predictions, where al-Massih is the bad guy and the baby is the real Messiah that starts off the new human race or whatever.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Good for him I guess.

In other news I finished Carole & Tuesday. The Netflix Anime made by Sinichiro Watanabe, the guy who made Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy.

I belive that it is equal to his earlier series which for Anime fans is saying something(sorry for talking about Anime here, but its about one specific series not the genre). Its about two girls named Carole and Tuesday that meet up and decide to become a music duo. Its not an Idol anime, so there is none of the synchronized dancing if that's your thing sorry. Its really about two struggling musicians trying to make it big. There isn't any romantic subplots to speak of, no fanservice beyond the music itself. even the anime style is subdued. like you could belive that these where drawings of actual people if you squint a little. Speaking of the music, since its a Watanabe production its essential to the show and every song is sung in English(except one in french). Its very inspired by late 70s, early 80s pop music and is very good IMO.

I watched it one episode at the time over a period of 24 days, because somethings work best if savored instead of binged. I feel that made it better for me, since I could focus on the songs, which was important for a series about music.

ps, even the so called antagonist had her own storyline that was separate from main characters, creating a contrast between them.

Probably my favorite part of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7fqyI5BQFg

Looked like so much fun :D

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

I haven't watched the show but man, this decision makes me feel all sorts of respect. A lot of other shows could have done well to show that kind of restraint (looking at you, Burn Notice).

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Watchmen is friggen brilliant and one of the best rides of 2019.

For my tastes anyway. I loved every second of it and am sad i cant experience it again.

But, its probably best there is no 2nd season since it wraps up wonderfully

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Watchmen was such a great example of what TV can be right now. It was intelligent, fun, provocative, and just fuckin' well made. Top that all off with a tight story that not only honors but expands on the original material, while not requiring you to be familiar with that material (or punishing you for not being), and I'd 100% agree with Ninjeff that it was one of the best things to come out in 2019.

I'm all for the occasional 6 seasons and a movie, but sometimes, you just need a few hours to tell a knockout story.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Watchmen was such a great example of what TV can be right now. It was intelligent, fun, provocative, and just fuckin' well made. Top that all off with a tight story that not only honors but expands on the original material, while not requiring you to be familiar with that material (or punishing you for not being), and I'd 100% agree with Ninjeff that it was one of the best things to come out in 2019.

I'm all for the occasional 6 seasons and a movie, but sometimes, you just need a few hours to tell a knockout story.

I'm fascinated that someone even came up with such a great follow up. If you'd have asked me what property almost couldnt be followed up on, Watchmen would have been one of my top picks.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

It definitely saves us from late series Lindeloffery which some like but I didn't.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    There's a really great interview with Lindeloff on The Watch podcast a while back. I was pretty impressed listening to him.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Do you think she is dead dead?

LiS S2
    Not in a million years because
    1. if you don't see a body...
    2. they found her ball and scarf in one of those cargo boxes, which still had its heater because it didn't have to carry 3 people, so much longer survival time
    3. parker posey

This discussion has been closed.