As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    It's definitely come to retail, also. So no particular reason to jump on for full msrp.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Oath is apparently going to be $90 excluding shipping, which feels like the neoprene map has unnecessarily ballooned costs

I may actually wait for retail depending on shipping

There was a breakdown that shows it has nearly twice as many pieces as Root for 30% more of the cost, so 90 doesn’t sound too nuts to me

Like, that’s what Scythe costs, and this seems a lot more elaborate than Scythe as far as what’s actually in the box

Isn't it some meeples, two types of counters and a deck of cards?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oath is apparently going to be $90 excluding shipping, which feels like the neoprene map has unnecessarily ballooned costs

Do you HAVE to get the neoprene? I hate that stuff.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Maybe the retail version will drop it? I suppose we'll find out in a couple of hours

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    If one were looking for a fairly simple DMless dungeon crawl, with co-op mode being at least potential, what should one be checking out?

Arcadia Quest seems a pretty good fit for what I’m imagining. Something like Descent with its exhaustion mechanics and strict time limits is above the desired complexity/difficulty threshold. Think more Heroquest.

Maybe look into hexplore

It has its uses. I really like to roll out my neoprene wargaming mat when I don't want to exhaustively clean my table.

steam_sig.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    My top played games from 2019. Can you guess my wife's favorite game?

lx1mvdvy2t08.png

Got to play some heavy games with some regularity which is nice. I continue to love Brass: Birmingham. I love how the game is half planning and half adapting. Embarrassingly, I had the placement rules wrong. I thought you needed to have a tile in a city to be able to build the link on the other side and that you needed to have coal before you placed a rail link. Oops. Only inflicted hardcore mode on 5 games worth of people! I got to play it again last night and beer really ran out and I was unable to build a brewery and so couldn't overbuild. Luckily I managed to get enough slow build links in to win by 2 points. I have never seen someone able to overbuild an opponent's tile. People love to cash in when a commodity is low and earn so easy VP. Especially with iron which has fewer and is worth more VP.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Well Oath is up and fully funded in about 14seconds

The Kickstarter does try to justify the cost but I'm still not convinced that all of the high cost items improve playability

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Well, I backed Oath. I read through his designer diaries yesterday and it got me very excited. I was really hoping the price would come in closer to $50 or $60 USD. I'm looking at $127 CAD plus whatever shipping ends up being. That being said, I haven't purchased a big game in about a year so I can sort of justify the expense.

I haven't been this excited for a game since Gloomhaven.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Dammit. All you folks talking about Oath got me reading about Oath and oops, now I've backed Oath. I hope you're happy.

I was like "This isn't a game that my girlfriend would like to play... I might pass."

Then I thought "Wait, I have some friends who would love to play this kind of ... ah, shit."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Their previous works are games that I think have a good core idea, but I've never at all enjoyed playing, so it's very easy to dismiss it at this point. I do hope it works out for people, but I also don't think the "twist on legacy" is going to be nearly as crazy or innovative as it's being made out to be. If you have a group that likes diplomacy games it'll probably land favorably, and less so if you don't.

edited January 2020
    Well Oath is up and fully funded in about 14seconds

The Kickstarter does try to justify the cost but I'm still not convinced that all of the high cost items improve playability

True, but I'm happy to give the dude money. He makes great games. I don't need to get a deal.

Magic Pink on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    That Spacebiff article kind of makes me want to back Oath and I'm deeply, deeply allergic to board game kickstarters. I have high hopes for this game.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    More chopping block news.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/14/the-saga-concludes/

TL:DR - the next release of Star Wars: Destiny will be the last.

This one's pretty obvious after the product got delayed.

Next up, IMO, is likely Armada. While there are 2 ships in development and set for release, they kept saying they were going to do a Clone Wars version of Armada... but spinning that up without a 2nd edition likely would be foolish at this point. L5R I hold out hopes for because it is something they own whole-cloth, but rumors around the street is that they are looking to be sold off to a private equity firm.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I’m distinctly cool on Oath. The legacy mechanics seem much less pronounced than I had imagined and my immediate reaction to the fairly key citizenship mechanic is that I’m worried it won’t work well. I find it hard to imagine a mutually beneficial situation where the citizenship deal would be made. It seems like one side or the other clearly comes out ahead so the other won’t do the deal on those terms. Plus anything with player negotiated costs risks the feel of (if not actual) kingmaking and massively advantaging veteran players over newcomers.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Athenor wrote: »

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised Destiny lasted as long as it did. It's real good, but producing those dice has *got* to be hell. I really do think it would have been better served as a digital game. Too bad the exclusive rights for video games has been tied up with... *checks his notes*... oh right, Electronic Arts.

EDIT: And there’s the whole tariff situation too...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised Destiny lasted as long as it did. It's real good, but producing those dice has *got* to be hell. I really do think it would have been better served as a digital game. Too bad the exclusive rights for video games has been tied up with... *checks his notes*... oh right, Electronic Arts.

Agreed. The fact that they had to pull teeth to get the Imperial Assault app made just shows how much EA sucks. But at this point, I dunno. I don't see Keyforge ending just yet, though it has definitely cooled hard. X-wing is no where near as popular locally (I suspect because it's all new faction stuff, mostly). A lot of the board games they published / localized are now handled by ANA. So it's like... was FFG just the company of the 2010s, and now it'll be a footnote?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

Agreed. The fact that they had to pull teeth to get the Imperial Assault app made just shows how much EA sucks. But at this point, I dunno. I don't see Keyforge ending just yet, though it has definitely cooled hard. X-wing is no where near as popular locally (I suspect because it's all new faction stuff, mostly). A lot of the board games they published / localized are now handled by ANA. So it's like... was FFG just the company of the 2010s, and now it'll be a footnote?

X-Wing isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. It's still got a pretty significant following, even if some local areas have dried up a bit. The competitive scene has a ton of pull as well. I think X-Wing would be the last of their SW games to go honestly.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Marvel Champions is just taking off and has a lot of potential to be the next big FFG thing.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Marvel Champions is just taking off and has a lot of potential to be the next big FFG thing.

Very much agree, but you wouldn't know it from the sky is falling posts today on the facebook groups for it. Oh, and the fact that they aren't putting out product fast enough and what they are putting out has leaked pretty heavily...

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Good god that exclusive deal with EA is galling. Imagine ALL the possibilities for Star Wars video games. And in 7 years all that was produced was...Battlefront, again. Followed by Battlefront...again. LOOTBOXES!!! It took them six years to make a single game that wasn't Battlefront. Good call, Disney, to shutter Lucasarts so you could sell off sole game rights to that. Was their aim to simply mismanage the games as badly as they did the movies?

Speaking of FFG, I'm predicting that all Arkham games that aren't the LCG are next on the chopping block. Their handling of the 3rd edition has been horrendous. Shoved out the door in a half baked state on the premise of "just wait for expansions to flesh it out!", then left to wither with an embarrassing fumble of a single small box expansion (at a large box price) after an entire year. Resources were instead spent on whatever the heck Final Hour is supposed to be. It looks both too simple and too complicated at the same time. I can't imagine that lasting.

MrBody on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Speaking of FFG, I'm predicting that all Arkham games that aren't the LCG are next on the chopping block. Their handling of the 3rd edition has been horrendous. Shoved out the door in a half baked state on the premise of "just wait for expansions to flesh it out!", then left to wither with an embarrassing fumble of a single small box expansion (at a large box price) after an entire year. Resources were instead spent on whatever the heck Final Hour is supposed to be. It looks both too simple and too complicated at the same time. I can't imagine that lasting.

I played Final Hour at PAXU. It's a bunch of busywork (punctuated by there often being turns where in order to be able to potentially win, your character does nothing on your turn) before you make what is most likely a blind 50/50 guess as a team. It would feel more Mythos-y if it was just Cthulhu flipping a coin and you calling heads or tails, and it would still be basically the same game.
    If what you want is "Arkham in an hour", play the LCG solo.

The expansion for 3rd was only $30, so it wasn't a full expansion price... but definitely high for not having much in the way of new cardboard, and only 2 more scenarios was criminal without other components.

That said.. I have to wonder if Nikki Valens' leaving FFG had any impact on 3rd withering. I just saw she put out Quirky Circuits with Plaid Hat (another Asmodee company, of note) -- just seeing her name makes me want to try the game out.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I played Quirky Crcuits at PAXU, and it can be a fun coop, but depending on the cards you draw, it can lead to one player monopolizing the instructions. Unless you force some sort of less than ideal play style, like you can only play 1 card until another player puts down a card. I'll probably pick it up for the kids at some point.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Apex? I see the reprint is up on KS but I am looking for opinions before I toss money at it.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The theme for Apex is right up my alley, and I remember checking it out ages ago, so I have the project saved on KS so I can agonize over backing it.

I am a lot more wary of a deckbuilder these days; I've kept a few of my favorites that each do something really well, and I don't foresee getting bored of those, so a new one would have to be pretty remarkable in some way.

Edit: A brief glance at BGG leads me to understand that the game was built for solo play, and while it has rules for multiplayer, apparently they're a bit weird, with a lot of proposed fanmade variants to "fix" an overly complicated end of game.

While I enjoy a solo card game occasionally (The Bloody Inn is my go-to for this, even though it's also a cracking multiplayer game) I'm not sure a $100 solo game in a big box is right for me.

BloodySloth on
    edited January 2020
    The expansion for 3rd was only $30, so it wasn't a full expansion price... but definitely high for not having much in the way of new cardboard, and only 2 more scenarios was criminal without other components.

That said.. I have to wonder if Nikki Valens' leaving FFG had any impact on 3rd withering. I just saw she put out Quirky Circuits with Plaid Hat (another Asmodee company, of note) -- just seeing her name makes me want to try the game out.

Ah yes. Halfway between small and big box expansion price then.

Yeah the #1 thing the game needed to survive was more scenarios given how linear they were. Or at least a more randomized objective system. TWO NEW SCENARIOS A YEAR? Jesus, FFG. Imagine if that happened to Mansions of Madness in its first year.

Very few of the game's other issues were addressed either.

-Will/Persuation being useless: Instead of introducing some mechanic that regularly used them, they just arbitrarily made the 2 new scenarios use them for the objectives. It felt like such a minimal patchwork gesture.

-Thin location encounter deck: One area they did address, although some of the new encounters don't do what the location is supposed to do which I was always against. At least it didn't get to Eldritch Horror levels of "clue encounter that does not give you a clue".

-Worthless magic: A couple combat spells that required a combo of 3 cards/abilities just to be on par with a single decent weapon, and....flesh ward? I honestly can't recall a single other spell. They badly needed to expand the spell deck, and boy howdy did the expansion fail at that. I think it was just 4 new cards, and one of them was a repeat.

MrBody on
    antherem wrote: »
    I played Final Hour at PAXU. It's a bunch of busywork (punctuated by there often being turns where in order to be able to potentially win, your character does nothing on your turn) before you make what is most likely a blind 50/50 guess as a team. It would feel more Mythos-y if it was just Cthulhu flipping a coin and you calling heads or tails, and it would still be basically the same game.

"How does any of this sound fun?" kept going through my head every time I read an overview of Final Hour. And that anemic board...

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    antherem wrote: »

"How does any of this sound fun?" kept going through my head every time I read an overview of Final Hour. And that anemic board...

The whole "only the first two people to go get to use the good half of their action" thing is interesting as a concept but in practice you just end up mostly picking the least powerful actions in case you have to do the bad side. And then you're further constrained by needing to hold onto some of your cards to use in the final guess.
    The whole feel of it to me was like playing a co-op with an alpha player running me, except the alpha player here is the game itself.

I do wonder what the original theme was, before FFG Mythos'd it.
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I played Quirky Crcuits at PAXU, and it can be a fun coop, but depending on the cards you draw, it can lead to one player monopolizing the instructions. Unless you force some sort of less than ideal play style, like you can only play 1 card until another player puts down a card. I'll probably pick it up for the kids at some point.

Quirky Circuits is glorious chaos, like co-op Roborally by way of Magic Maze. The rule that everyone must play a card every round helps; maybe increasing this to "everyone must play two cards a round" with four players would be the way to go? Then again you usually aren't going to get dealt the wonder hand every turn.
    If you only played the opening scenario then there's more constraints/hazards later on.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Came back from vacation to see On Mars waiting for me. The build quality is fantastic. I'm hoping to scratch the space colony itch that Terraforming Mars wasn't able to.

I still think the worst part of arkham 2nd (and mansions to a degree) is that the expansions didn't interact with each other. I was so hyped when Miskatonic came out and offered at least some merging, but the concept that each expansion needed to stand only with the core was... Ugh.

Can you guess what my biggest issue with the arkham lcg is? As evidenced by the dividers included in the "Return to" boxes?

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    The theme for Apex is right up my alley, and I remember checking it out ages ago, so I have the project saved on KS so I can agonize over backing it.

I am a lot more wary of a deckbuilder these days; I've kept a few of my favorites that each do something really well, and I don't foresee getting bored of those, so a new one would have to be pretty remarkable in some way.

Edit: A brief glance at BGG leads me to understand that the game was built for solo play, and while it has rules for multiplayer, apparently they're a bit weird, with a lot of proposed fanmade variants to "fix" an overly complicated end of game.

While I enjoy a solo card game occasionally (The Bloody Inn is my go-to for this, even though it's also a cracking multiplayer game) I'm not sure a $100 solo game in a big box is right for me.

I'm currently trying to justify the cost as "It's a game and eight expansion packs." I'm a bit concerned about the history of it still, the previous kickstarter(s?) ran into some issues with people not getting their stuff and the people who have taken over for this one don't seem to have much/any proven kickstarter experience.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Maclay wrote: »

I'm currently trying to justify the cost as "It's a game and eight expansion packs." I'm a bit concerned about the history of it still, the previous kickstarter(s?) ran into some issues with people not getting their stuff and the people who have taken over for this one don't seem to have much/any proven kickstarter experience.

Yeah while I think I've convinced myself not to back this one, it is with regret, as it seems like a neat idea and dinosaurs are so

so

so much my thing

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Damn, I jumped into this thread to see if anyone was talking about the Return to Dark Tower kickstarter, and now I ended up backing Oath as well.

Good thing my wife and I don't share the same credit card...

ironzerg wrote: »
    Damn, I jumped into this thread to see if anyone was talking about the Return to Dark Tower kickstarter, and now I ended up backing Oath as well.

I gave a good look at it but the fact it uses an electronic tower as well as another dang ol app kind of sealed its coffin for me.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I backed it. I'm putting my faith in the gloomhaven creator being heavily involved in this project that it will be solid.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Something about Oath doesnt sing to me, so going to pass that up.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

I gave a good look at it but the fact it uses an electronic tower as well as another dang ol app kind of sealed its coffin for me.

If it was just the electronic tower is he way more interested. The app kills it for me too.

Ah_Pook wrote: »

If it was just the electronic tower is he way more interested. The app kills it for me too.

I agree that I'd like it integrated, but its not a deal killer for me.

• sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    This raises an interesting question: as apps and other tech becomes more integrated into tabletop games, how much "future-proofing" should we expect from companies? Will the Return to Dark Tower people keep the app up-to-date as phones update their operating systems? Should they be expected to? Personally I'm much less likely to buy into a game knowing that at some point a critical component will likely not be accessible anymore.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
    edited January 2020
    sullijo wrote: »
    This raises an interesting question: as apps and other tech becomes more integrated into tabletop games, how much "future-proofing" should we expect from companies? Will the Return to Dark Tower people keep the app up-to-date as phones update their operating systems? Should they be expected to? Personally I'm much less likely to buy into a game knowing that at some point a critical component will likely not be accessible anymore.

They said they'd release the app source if they are no longer able to support it. Which is about as good as it gets.

Generally though, I've yet to see an app in a boardgame that seemed like it added anything and produced some exciting mixed media. Generally it's "we are bad at boardgame design" or "this should have probably been all digital"

Mojo_Jojo on