As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Alright, OP edited.

Still not many new game recommendations made especially for WMR though I'm guilty of that myself.
    So how new is "new" for this spreadsheet? I'm asking so I know what I should or should not add to the list.

Basically "new" means any recommended game that is not yet on the list.

jdarksun wrote: »
    We need tags so I don't get interested in Oculus exclusives :P :lol:

There are tabs for each system with a link to that particular store but I have a collumn to include a steam store page if available.

I got you Boo.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    At least with ReVive, Oculus exclusives aren't much more annoying that Epic exclusives.. which is to say, not particularly

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    At least with ReVive, Oculus exclusives aren't much more annoying that Epic exclusives.. which is to say, not particularly
    I should try ReVive this weekend.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    We need tags so I don't get interested in Oculus exclusives :P :lol:
    I should have specified that is was only for the Oculus. My bad. However, I did only add it to the Quest tab on the spreadsheet. I'm not a complete monster :P

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    I should try ReVive this weekend.

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never taken more than a brief foray into ReVive either. Barriers are a thing! Even with it being a great workaround and relatively easy, there's some mental block I have about buying stuff on a storefront that doesn't actually support my headset. I should stop doing that at some point.

It can't be worse than getting custom Beat Saber songs to work, can it?

I don't think setting up ReVive is hard at all from what I remember messing with it long ago. It's the "buying stuff on storefront that doesn't officially support my headset" thing that's the mental block. I don't even realistically fear that it's going to suddenly stopped being developed, given how ubiquitous it is and the fact that Palmer Luckey seems content to spend a portion of his $Texas facebook bux to help fund development.

I'll admit I don't own beat saber so I can't directly compare! But I'm used to spending entirely too much time getting weird mods to work, so it's do-able for sure.

The fact that beat saber mod has kept working for me this long is a minor miracle.

• RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend some of the scariest games for the Quest?

I also have a PSVR and RE7 and Rush of Blood are still my favorite games. Hoping to find anything remotely close to scary cool on the Quest.

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    OK, so in regards to the Odyssey+ hijacking/deleting video drivers, I've narrowed this down to some recent Windows Updates past 1903. The nVidia driver being lost on reboot/return from standby appears to be a side effect of the recent Windows cumulative security update. Fortunately it's possible to get it back to working by going into the Device Manager and uninstalling your GPU, then choosing Scan for Hardware Changes to reconnect the driver again much quicker than manual reinstalling and without a restart.

Someone else on the discord mentioned
    The other more lasting solution is going into Control Panel->Programs and Features, then on the left panel, View Installed Updates and uninstall some of the recent updates to test if it solves the issue for you too. Of course, Windows will automatically update again if you haven't set it to pause updates for 7 days. So, you'll need to do that too, if it works.

Haven't tried that yet, but my list of pains in my ass in regards to getting this thing to work consistently is already quite full. If it gives me the 1-4 error again when I get home tonight I'll start with the disabling of my integrated graphics as mentioned elsewhere here.

Syzygy on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Question on the 360º videos shared here:

Should they look at least as smooth as "Introduction to Virtual Reality" from the Oculus store? They seem somewhat choppy on my end, and I see a lot of complaints on Steam about the Youtube VR app being absolute trash, but not sure if it's the app or it's something I can try to tweak on my end.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Should they look at least as smooth as "Introduction to Virtual Reality" from the Oculus store? They seem somewhat choppy on my end, and I see a lot of complaints on Steam about the Youtube VR app being absolute trash, but not sure if it's the app or it's something I can try to tweak on my end.

Your internet speed might not be up to the task of streaming it, or YouTube's compression is just too much for it.

Introduction to Virtual Reality was a raw video file that was pre-downloaded as part of an app, so it could always look better than anything streamed.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I tried booting up Elite Dangerous the other day to take a look around the bridge of my Federal Corvette. I didn't do much beyond look around a bit though since I was experiencing significant framerate issues. I haven't delved into troubleshooting quite yet. I kinda expect that maybe it had kept most of the same graphics settings that I use in pancake mode, which I expect to be just a bit too much to chew in vr.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Speaking of Beat Saber mods, didn't some of them give you menus *in* VR at some point? Did that get disabled some time in the last 6 months?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    I remember some internal seach but now it is via the website.

I don't question how the dark spells work as long as they continue to do so.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I somehow never purchased Beat Saber, and we're in 'save every penny' mode planning for a trip to Japan in two weeks. Maybe it'll go on sale again.

26904.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I tried booting up Elite Dangerous the other day to take a look around the bridge of my Federal Corvette. I didn't do much beyond look around a bit though since I was experiencing significant framerate issues. I haven't delved into troubleshooting quite yet. I kinda expect that maybe it had kept most of the same graphics settings that I use in pancake mode, which I expect to be just a bit too much to chew in vr.

Check your supersampling maybe?
    You probably have to drop some of your settings

Days available to coop poll

to start

Course these times are a bit nebulous if we don't know your UTC.

Your UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) poll
    Check your UTC here

Another poll will result to further narrow things down but please feel free to get your coop on any time.

In the end it may not be a true weekly gathering but just the best time to ping the discord for coop buddies.

Reminder to vote if you haven't already.

Will try to announce some times by this coming Monday for dedicated VR cooping or just the times people are most available to do so.

edited January 2020

Check your supersampling maybe?
    You probably have to drop some of your settings

Supersampling is what I most suspect is the culprit since I have that maxed out in pancake mode. I just wanted to do a quick look around in VR before loading back into pancake mode to rush out a quick mining session before the gemstone market crashed too hard from the recent patch.

I'll take another look at it this weekend. I've heard that dropping into realspace is a treat in VR.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I remember some internal seach but now it is via the website.

I don't question how the dark spells work as long as they continue to do so.

I started using BeatDrop, which is polished as hell. It shames even some dedicated music apps.

Now I just have to figure out how to mod sabers and platforms!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited January 2020

I think it's predominantly going to be based on internet speed, though there may be some quirks as well.

When I was watching the horse video I did get a bit of jumpiness -- nothing too bad but they jumped around once or twice for sure.

Weirdly enough, the diving video I linked on the last page was completely flawless. If anything it should be more demanding than most, as it appears to be of a super high quality. But I didn't have any jitteryness or anything with the youtube app on steam -- I do have a gigabit internet connection though.

There could be a PC performance aspect to some of it as well. My initial idea with the playlist was to use Virtual Desktop to download and watch them, as it's able to extract the correct format from youtube. Unfortunately, like 70% of the videos don't seem to work this way -- they download, but are just a series of still images that switch every 30 seconds or so and that's not too fun. I tried a different program and got the same result on the same videos, so it seems to be a thing that youtube is doing. I bring that up because some of them did work, and I could view them locally. But I forgot that virtual desktop had 2X supersampling on, and was getting a lot of hitching just because of that. If you have supersampling cranked up in your universal steamVR settings that could be the problem as well.

My overall experience with the youtube VR app has been weirdly fine though. I avoided it for a long time because the reviews are so bad, but from what I can tell it's mostly the interface being pretty blah. With a stable internet connection it's actually doing a really good job of playing the 360 3D videos at a high quality on my end.

Fiatil on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

I think it's predominantly going to be based on internet speed, though there may be some quirks as well.

When I was watching the horse video I did get a bit of jumpiness -- nothing too bad but they jumped around once or twice for sure.

Weirdly enough, the diving video I linked on the last page was completely flawless. If anything it should be more demanding than most, as it appears to be of a super high quality. But I didn't have any jitteryness or anything with the youtube app on steam -- I do have a gigabit internet connection though.

There could be a PC performance aspect to some of it as well. My initial idea with the playlist was to use Virtual Desktop to download and watch them, as it's able to extract the correct format from youtube. Unfortunately, like 70% of the videos don't seem to work this way -- they download, but are just a series of still images that switch every 30 seconds or so and that's not too fun. I tried a different program and got the same result on the same videos, so it seems to be a thing that youtube is doing. I bring that up because some of them did work, and I could view them locally. But I forgot that virtual desktop had 2X supersampling on, and was getting a lot of hitching just because of that. If you have supersampling cranked up in your universal steamVR settings that could be the problem as well.

My overall experience with the youtube VR app has been weirdly fine though. I avoided it for a long time because the reviews are so bad, but from what I can tell it's mostly the interface being pretty blah. With a stable internet connection it's actually doing a really good job of playing the 360 3D videos at a high quality on my end.

Thanks, I think my question is mostly just how similar are they to the VR experience demo, as my internet is good enough to stream the 4k 360 videos, it's just that they seem to be "framey" in comparison. I also have a decent Pc (6700k + 1070).

The YouTube app right now doesn't even display the buttons for me, so I think I'm one of the ones that is getting a bad experience out of it. Or maybe the 360 videos are just that "choppy" normally.

Like they don't seem bad, but if I look around, it's as if I'm panning around at 30fps.

Heh yeah, the app just has a column of "X"s for me on the left side, and I had to blindly click through them to figure out what I was doing. Luckily, one of them had my playlist. And I have to navigate with the touchpad on the index controllers instead of the joystick which is dumb.

I do think I've had the same experience of generally more hitchiness when I turn my head rapidly than you would typically get on one of Oculus's made for VR videos. It seems to just vary based on how the video is recorded -- I'll keep an eye out for it more this weekend when I'm messing around with them.

It's always fun checking my feed to see the artwork people have done but hot damn some are just downright breathtaking.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Y'all want some Left 4 Dead VR?

(President of HTC China)

Undead Scottsman on
    Oshiiiiiiiit. They did say 3 full games!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I know the L4D3 announcement is awesome, but WTF is with the rest of that stuff?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, that was a fun hour and a half.

Rothgarr wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some of the scariest games for the Quest?

I also have a PSVR and RE7 and Rush of Blood are still my favorite games. Hoping to find anything remotely close to scary cool on the Quest.
    I've only played the first Chapter, but The Exorcist is really good for a scare. I had to take my headset off at one point just to get my bearings to remind myself that it's just a game. Of course, if you don't suspend disbelief, then you'll think I'm lame and not enjoy it.

edited January 2020
    Well, that was a fun hour and a half.
    Part of me just died inside...

In all fairness, Left4Dead was always abbreviated L4D, not LFD. Still, I'm saddened.

Le_Goat on
    edited January 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I know the L4D3 announcement is awesome, but WTF is with the rest of that stuff?

IIRC Turtle Rock is working on title called "back 4 blood" which is supposed to some kinda spiritual successor to left 4 dead.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Well damn. I guess that tweet about it being speculative wasn't just covering up stuff. Oh well! They still said 3 games so hopefully we get something else cool instead!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If you want Left 4 Dead 3, have you hear the good news of your lord and savior Deep Rock Galactic?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2020
    Cantido wrote: »
    If you want Left 4 Dead 3, have you hear the good news of your lord and savior Deep Rock Galactic?
    Love that game sooooo much. Very L4D-esque, but with Space Dwarves. That could be a fun VR game, especially with using the tethers to get around (No, I have not heard they are porting it to VR. Figured I'd squash a potential rumor/hype before it got started)

Le_Goat on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Since the Quest is a stand-alone device with its own CPU and GPU, it might make sense for them to do some kind of reprojection after receiving the image generated by the connected computer, wireless or not. I can't find anything saying if they're doing that with the current wired option, but it could help with lag from using a wireless connection.

We'll get back there someday.
    Bought Path of the Warrior. Pretty fun game... until you go for a punch, hit something hard in the physical world and realize that was your fridge. Still fun, though. Looking forward to trying out co-op.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Is Boneworks any good without knuckles-like controllers?

Do you have the Vive controllers? If you've played a game that forces you to keep the grips depressed to hold onto something, then you've got a decent idea of what it's like, except you'll be doing that alot. Personally, holding the grips down is moderately annoying to me. I picked up index controllers shortly after I got the game and its definitely an improvement.
    Still haven't played much because I'm waiting for them to implement mid-level saves. That's been the bigger hurdle for my enjoyment, and I think that would be true if I was still using the Vive wands. The levels can be over an hour in length and I don't typically have that much time to play