As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Requesting small Japanese (maybe?) to English translation

TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
edited January 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

A friend bought me a lovely piece of artwork that I'd like to hang in my house. Unfortunately this friend is the mischievous type, so I'd like to double-check what the Chinese writing on it says.

I'm not sure which of the family of Chinese languages this is - I'll be honest, I can't even be certain I'm looking at something from the Chinese family rather than Japanese. I apologise to anyone who is offended by my cluelessness.

Edit: Seems more likely this is Japanese.

yfycoppgy2um.png

This writing is in the lower left of the work.

r9xu67qmk34o.png

This writing is in the lower right of the work.

z4727wyvz08d.png

This mark is in the lower right of the work, near to the writing in the second image. I think perhaps it's more of a maker's mark than anything.

For context, the full image, a glorious historical depiction of Samus Aran kicking metroid ass:

odb55rcmxv3c.png

Many thanks! :)

Tayrun on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I always have a hard time with painted characters, but I'm pretty sure that's a Japanese name with the kanji on the left and some hiragana (the phonetic language) on the right. I can't read any of it, I am just really bad at that kind of writing.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm moderately sure those are japanese characters but that's all I can tell you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Thanks you two. :)

Updated thread title.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Artist's store is here: https://japanese-prints-by-ukiyo-e-heroes.myshopify.com/collections/handmade-woodblock-prints/products/infestation-woodblock-print
    The left cartouche reads "Wanderer of Skies - iron will, iron skin", and the right cartouche is inscribed with the phonetic reading "Sa-mu-su".

Or at least that's what they are attempting to say-- I can't actually read it, and it could probably be a jumbled translation :P But at least it doesn't seem to be a prank on the part of your friend.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Hella helpful! Thank you so much @SilverWind !! :)

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Artist's store is here: https://japanese-prints-by-ukiyo-e-heroes.myshopify.com/collections/handmade-woodblock-prints/products/infestation-woodblock-print
    The left cartouche reads "Wanderer of Skies - iron will, iron skin", and the right cartouche is inscribed with the phonetic reading "Sa-mu-su".

Or at least that's what they are attempting to say-- I can't actually read it, and it could probably be a jumbled translation :P But at least it doesn't seem to be a prank on the part of your friend.

Just to be double-sure, I ran it past a native-speaker friend who looked at it, laughed, agreed with the translation, but called it 'creative Japanese.' :biggrin:

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It's probably best I don't know how to write Japanese , I would just make the most pretty and stylish letterings saying the most , awful awful things.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

Just to be double-sure, I ran it past a native-speaker friend who looked at it, laughed, agreed with the translation, but called it 'creative Japanese.' :biggrin:

finally, revenge for all those engrish t-shirts

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I still wish I'd bought that big, glittery sparkle insect themed 'Buttfly' t-shirt when I had the chance.

Although all those terrible 'Asian character' tattoos should be revenge enough. Especially when using whatever that Word font was that would give you Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja characters, and so people assumed 'if you write Gabe using that font, those characters mean Gabe, right?' was popular.

Gabriel_Pitt on