As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    It is wild to me that this show looks like it is actually going to hit the landing here. The stakes are too high, it shouldn't be possible, and yet...

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Their podcast is great, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Marc Evan Jackson's enthusiasm for the show is just great.

Also, he thinks that deep down, Shawn likes Micheal. Which you know, I can buy/I can see that.

The idea of Marc Evan Jackson being enthused about anything is funny, given the characters he tends to play.

steam_sig.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Also, he thinks that deep down, Shawn likes Micheal. Which you know, I can buy/I can see that.

The idea of Marc Evan Jackson being enthused about anything is funny, given the characters he tends to play.

Kevin is enthusiastic about stuff. Just in a way normal humans wouldn't recognize as enthusiasm. Except the Heist.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Also Nicholas Cage movies, eventually

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Kevin is enthusiastic about stuff. Just in a way normal humans wouldn't recognize as enthusiasm. Except the Heist.

Yeah, Kevin getting excited over the Heist was awesome. And for those who haven't watched it, while it's probably towards the bottom of the Schur panapoly, Brooklyn Nine Nine is a lot better than I expected when I started it. It's not quite as strong as Parks&Rec, but I think it comes close.

Schur's worst is better than most people's best. And his ability to be awesome with even minor characters consistently, as well as bringing serious attention to talented people who have been around a while but never really been given a real shot, is worthy of respect. I'd list them for people, but I've got to go to bed in an hour, and I don't have the time. :)

So, once Good Place is done, if you're aching for something new, B99 might be the methadone you need. :) And that's probably the best analogy for Schur shows at this point. :)

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Here's a good article on how Schur landed this week's cameo, and how the cameo was actually telegraphed earlier in the season without anyone noticing, because OF COURSE THIS SHOW WOULD DO THAT.

great article but my main takeaway is that I had completely forgotten about The Grinder even though it was pretty funny and sometimes hilarious. Olyphant is a great comedy actor.

come to think of it, I haven't seen Deadwood or Justified so I actually know him mostly for his comedy roles (eg Santa Clarita Diet).

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Yeah, Kevin getting excited over the Heist was awesome. And for those who haven't watched it, while it's probably towards the bottom of the Schur panapoly, Brooklyn Nine Nine is a lot better than I expected when I started it. It's not quite as strong as Parks&Rec, but I think it comes close.

Schur's worst is better than most people's best. And his ability to be awesome with even minor characters consistently, as well as bringing serious attention to talented people who have been around a while but never really been given a real shot, is worthy of respect. I'd list them for people, but I've got to go to bed in an hour, and I don't have the time. :)

So, once Good Place is done, if you're aching for something new, B99 might be the methadone you need. :) And that's probably the best analogy for Schur shows at this point. :)

And for those who haven't seen B99, it also has a disgustingly heartwarming romance angle, though it takes a long while for it to play out (and ends up with people who are disgustingly warm and caring and supportive of one another, if you can handle that sort of thing).

Further, B99 takes a swing at some heavy shit like non-traditional sexuality, racism, and sexism. Yeah, it's a comedy, but it doesn't mind dealing with major issues and doing it well.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If you do try B99 for the first time, keep in mind the show takes about a season to really dial in Andy Sanberg's character -- the first season he's a little too rebellious and obnoxious. But after they tone him down just a tad the show's pretty damn good.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Brooklyn 99 suffered at first because FOX couldn't stop dictating things about the show. No way did Schur want to do that stupid crossover episode.

I think getting canceled by FOX might have been the best thing that could have happened to B99.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I seriously recommend the pod cast - i dont think you could hope for a better hypeman than MEJ. He's just so... into it! He loves his job, he loves his coworkers, and he's really not shy on praising the behind the scenes people as well (the podcast has done a Lot of talk about how insanely good the casting director is, for instance)

Also he too hates Glenn, and dont we all in some way, Hate Glenn? (I actually wanna see Glenn back and how he reacts to the new afterlife system, vikki too)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

I seriously recommend the pod cast - i dont think you could hope for a better hypeman than MEJ. He's just so... into it! He loves his job, he loves his coworkers, and he's really not shy on praising the behind the scenes people as well (the podcast has done a Lot of talk about how insanely good the casting director is, for instance)

Also he too hates Glenn, and dont we all in some way, Hate Glenn? (I actually wanna see Glenn back and how he reacts to the new afterlife system, vikki too)

Yes please. I need Vikki as Bad Place Demon acting coach.

steam_sig.png
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I apologize for any loss productivity this may cause: (from last weeks' episode) blooper

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    One reason B99 is great because the cops are good at their jobs.

I apologize for any loss productivity this may cause: (from last weeks' episode) blooper

I was just about to post that. That is perfection.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    One reason B99 is great because the cops are good at their jobs.

And they show most cops are not to a point where the main villian of most seasons is a corrupt law official

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Confident Chidi.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Confident Chidi.

"Shut up! Shut up. Hi! Shut up. I'm confident now."

I am in tears over here. If they pull a bait and switch I dont think I could take it.

As per usual, Schur and Co end it in a way where you wonder "OK, now what? How the hell do they do the next episode, given what they just did?"

I mean, I've got confidence that they'll do so. Their ability to tear EVERYTHING down and rebuild it over and over again is impressive as hell.

Makes me wish it was never going to end, but makes me OK it will be, before they stop being able to surprise me with the direction they're going to go.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Alright, the bad place being responsible for wokeness and the words 'mansplaining' and 'triggered' was just the right level of social commentary to start my day.

Well played.

Wait...

....are they actually going to show God and go there?

I hope its Alanis Morrisette, but I'd be happy with the standard Morgan Freeman.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Anyone else expecting another twist?

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    My guess:
    They're going to be bored with the Good Place and will want to be active participants in the new "bad place" for eternity.

camo_sig2.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    My guess:
    They're going to be bored with the Good Place and will want to be active participants in the new "bad place" for eternity.
    I could actually see the ending being a message about continual self improvement. That would actually hold up with the rest of the series.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    I'm wondering a bit if
    the entire show was the test for the 4, and it was planned all along by Michael and Shawn to work exactly as they established last episode, but it's always worked that way.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    My guess:
    Yeah, I'm betting the Good Place will be boring and lame because it's full of nothing but those weenies we've seen so far and the only things allowed are things that can't be even remotely objectionable. So, it'll be a bunch of nothing.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    I'm wondering a bit if
    the entire show was the test for the 4, and it was planned all along by Michael and Shawn to work exactly as they established last episode, but it's always worked that way.

At near the end of the episode I wondered if
    it wasn't a test for Michael all along

"Theres always a rock to roll up" seems to be a big forshadowing. I wonder if a test result is that you can choose to stay to help others after they get bored in the good place.

steam_sig.png
    Terrendos wrote: »
    My guess:
    Yeah, I'm betting the Good Place will be boring and lame because it's full of nothing but those weenies we've seen so far and the only things allowed are things that can't be even remotely objectionable. So, it'll be a bunch of nothing.

I keep seeing these cynical takes and I don't get it, since nothing from the show would lead to a cynical ending.

Piotyr wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    My guess:

I keep seeing these cynical takes and I don't get it, since nothing from the show would lead to a cynical ending.

I don't read those takes as cynical.
    Humanity seeking to always improve, even given eternity and the option of neverending paradise, is actually a fairly uplifting message, if you think about it.

Speculation for the next week/finale:
    I agree that "the Good Place really sucks/is boring" is too cut and dried for what they've been building up. I feel that would be too much of "the good place is the friends we made along the way" kinda vibe that would be a let down of an ending.

I think I'm siding more with the idea that this has been part of the test (starting at some point, maybe not at the beginning of chapter 1, but somewhere along the way) for all 6 of them? or could be just Michael. Heck, it could even be Michael and Shawn. In particular, I think Michael has to be included in being tested, otherwise, scenes, like those with Michael convincing Shawn that the new system is the way to go wouldn't have a point. If Michael and Shawn are part of the actors doing the test, why would they need to act out a scene that has no one else watching?

About the last ep:
    I felt like the subplot of Vicki doing well/getting "fired"/coming back, felt a bit hollow and rushed to all get wrapped up within a half an episode (though it did provide some really good lines). "Wait, we haven't even gotten to the West Side Story dance fight bit yet!" I really wanted them to have gone into that a bit more.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    Alright, the bad place being responsible for wokeness and the words 'mansplaining' and 'triggered' was just the right level of social commentary to start my day.

Well played.

Performative wokeness, specifically

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    Speculation for the next week/finale:
    I agree that "the Good Place really sucks/is boring" is too cut and dried for what they've been building up. I feel that would be too much of "the good place is the friends we made along the way" kinda vibe that would be a let down of an ending.
    I totally agree.
    I honestly almost cried with happiness when they got into the real Good Place. I've been watching and rooting for these cockroaches for all this time, they have been working so hard for this and have overcome so much. If they get there and it's just lame? That doesn't vibe with the spirit of the show to me. I could definitely see at least one person deciding to stay and help future test subjects improve, or at least spending some of their time doing that, but I do think the Good Place is gonna be so forking cool.
    I think I'm siding more with the idea that this has been part of the test (starting at some point, maybe not at the beginning of chapter 1, but somewhere along the way) for all 6 of them? or could be just Michael. Heck, it could even be Michael and Shawn. In particular, I think Michael has to be included in being tested, otherwise, scenes, like those with Michael convincing Shawn that the new system is the way to go wouldn't have a point. If Michael and Shawn are part of the actors doing the test, why would they need to act out a scene that has no one else watching?
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was still, in some way, a test for Michael. Vicky showing up to his class couldn't have been a better test/torture if Michael had designed it himself! It did exactly what he was trying to get the demons to do - it located a sensitive point on the penis of his psyche and just drove over it with a steam roller! Maybe in passing that test and giving the reigns to Vicky, he earned his spot on that hot air balloon.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    The Vicki thing was definitely weird. It's like they were trying to retroactively promote her to a more prominent character in the show itself. The bits were great, but it did seem like an odd focus. This show doesn't tend to do things without a lot of thought, so I'm curious what that means.

I honestly have no idea how you'd end a show like this, but I'm kind of excited to see it.

Maybe they'll just fly away on the balloon and "goodbye" will be spelled in out in rocks below (and I guess Ted Danson in a dress - I dunno).

Also about Tahani's practice test:
    I think it was a good way to point out that Tahani (and the others on the Soul Squad) still have their flaws that they could improve upon. And that they could use that as way to show they still have room to improve in their next iteration of the test.

• RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    I don't know.
    I want to believe that the balloon ride is legit, but Michael flashed a weird look right before getting on. Couldn't read it, and it got my spidey sense tingling.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    My thought is
    they're all still in the bad place and "heaven" is going to be a huge let down for all the work they put in and they'll all be miserable for eternity. This was all one huge con, and the series ends with Michael laughing like he did at the end of season 1.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    My thought is
    they're all still in the bad place and "heaven" is going to be a huge let down for all the work they put in and they'll all be miserable for eternity. This was all one huge con, and the series ends with Michael laughing like he did at the end of season 1.

While this could check out in terms of the narrative, I just don't think Mike Schur does unhappy endings. It's just not his jam.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I want to see Mr. Rogers going through the new test

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    I want to see Mr. Rogers going through the new test

Fred Rogers' test would consist of a room full of diverse people. He'd walk up to each with a "Howdy, neighbor", and that would complete the test, allowing him Good Place passage.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    My thought is

While this could check out in terms of the narrative, I just don't think Mike Schur does unhappy endings. It's just not his jam.

Yeah but the alternative is so predictable. He's got to throw us for a loop at least once, right?