As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Honestly I suspect that a billion will be enough for a carrier. Maybe not enough to trick it out with all of the bells and whistles, but enough to get your foot in the door.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm patching the game since I want to give it a try again now that I own a VR headset. I hope that they don't cripple the mining payouts in the upcoming patch. I don't have my 20 billions for my fleet carrier yet.

Don't worry, you likely have months and months still.

• Options
    Months and months for fleet carriers. New patch Tuesday which may or may not impact mining.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Man, coming back after almost five years was real jarring. I just nuked my save and restarted.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I need to hop back in and finally finish my trip to the core, but my X55 throttle is finally starting to fail. I was flying around in DCS World, and phantom presses kept jettisoning my canopy. >_<

Come on, VKB... I wants me that TECS

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    My x55 also started doing that (again), even while plugged into a powered hub. Turned out that it was actually the power supply for the hub that was failing. The throttle's fine on a different hub.

I've been toying with the idea of modifying the throttle to use a dedicated power cord.

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Well, the patch may be underwhelming, but at least it's something. I got bored so I trekked out to the Pleiades sector to do some scout swatting, still working on the elite combat rank....

6vvbfs66bi07.jpg

Docked at the Artemis Lodge rescue ship to repair and stock up on ammo and limpets... at least the views as spectacular! Kinda peaceful for being an alien combat zone out here...

There is an initiative ongoing to repair the damaged stations as well if anyone is interested: Operation Ida.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I need to hop back in and finally finish my trip to the core, but my X55 throttle is finally starting to fail. I was flying around in DCS World, and phantom presses kept jettisoning my canopy. >_<

It's no VKB, but I will note that the now-Logitech X56 is actually even better configured for ED specifically with the switch of the right-hand thumb switch to a full stick, along with all the other functionality (making it more aimed at space simulators than something like DCS, I think, even though it'll still do).

• Options
    I just realized that I sold my low temperature diamonds at the wrong site. I looked up a sell location on Inara, and it was significantly over galactic average. I guess Inara was filtering to sites too close to sol and excluded the really juicy sell sites.

I was able to squeeze an extra collection limpet controller into my corvette since it now had a brand new size 1 slot that I was able to relocated the detailed surface scanner into. Well, brand new for me. I think it's been there ever since they added the super cruise assist computers.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey thread. I've been playing Elite again recently, and have just broken the 200 million mark. Figured I'd get myself an Anaconda, but it looks like that's nowhere near enough to even sort of outfit the thing properly. Oh well, another few dozen hours space trucking.

• Options
    Yeah, the big ships are EXPENSIVE to outfit.

Assuming that today's patch didn't torpedo core mining, and I think we're safe due to an absence of wailing and gnashing of teeth, one of the kraits is a superb miner for making cash. The only reason that I don't use a krait is that the pitch of its boosters rubs me the wrong way. So I mine in my comfy corvette instead.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I've tried mining for hours and hours, and I just cannot get the hang of finding LTDs or other expensive things quickly enough to warrant the time trying. Every time I've tried I get something in the neighborhood of four non-garbage rocks for a two hour session.

So instead I just load up several hundred tons of whatever war material the Federation needs moved a star or two over and just do that.

• Options
    I've tried mining for hours and hours, and I just cannot get the hang of finding LTDs or other expensive things quickly enough to warrant the time trying. Every time I've tried I get something in the neighborhood of four non-garbage rocks for a two hour session.

So instead I just load up several hundred tons of whatever war material the Federation needs moved a star or two over and just do that.

You flying around icy rings with the appropriate modules etc? IIRC you can also find painite pretty easily in certain rings too, with the new fangled scanners.

• Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular

I use a website that lists things like tripple hotspots for ltd's etc. It makes mining quite fast

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    kralizecc wrote: »

I use a website that lists things like tripple hotspots for ltd's etc. It makes mining quite fast

I used the same strategy to gather cargo myself.

• Options
    I just don't see mining as a worthwhile use of real world time. Between flying 30-50 jumps to get to a place, then spending hours flying around rings just to find a few rocks worth cracking...

I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong. I've looked at many guides, and it seems I'm targeting the right types of icy pristine rings. I just find the hunting for deep core rocks intensely boring. I know flying easy cargo missions aren't having these supposed hundred million paydays like mining does.

Tried another half hour tonight, found exactly one crackable rock, and it didn't even have anything worthwhile inside.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    -
    I just don't see mining as a worthwhile use of real world time. Between flying 30-50 jumps to get to a place, then spending hours flying around rings just to find a few rocks worth cracking...

I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong. I've looked at many guides, and it seems I'm targeting the right types of icy pristine rings. I just find the hunting for deep core rocks intensely boring. I know flying easy cargo missions aren't having these supposed hundred million paydays like mining does.

Tried another half hour tonight, found exactly one crackable rock, and it didn't even have anything worthwhile inside.

Your technique may need some change. On a good day I can get 200-400 million an hour, provided there's a place to sell them for 1 mill each in easy reach. It's insane how much faster mining can be than any other money making mechanic.

Edit: I do regular mining, triple hotspots don't help with cored asteroid propagation. I use a huge ship with plenty of space though, so I carry the detonators for when I do happen to come across one. In the places where hotspots overlap, you see roids with 15%-30% diamond content all over the place.

kralizecc on
  • Options
    I didn't realize that laser mining had caught up to and surpassed core mining. I uhh, need to put mining lasers back on my corvette then. If only there where huge sized mining lasers. Or a way to get longer ranged mining lasers without using those garbage lances.

Are the lances still garbage? They were the last time that I looked.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

It's no VKB, but I will note that the now-Logitech X56 is actually even better configured for ED specifically with the switch of the right-hand thumb switch to a full stick, along with all the other functionality (making it more aimed at space simulators than something like DCS, I think, even though it'll still do).

Yeah, if they sold the throttle separately I'd buy one to tide me over. QC issues aside, the X55/56 just has a really nice control layout compared to other throttles out there.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The SRV might be the most retarded thing ever designed. driving it is like trying to control a raging bull with rockets attached to it. Also doing 40 jumps to get to some guardian place to charge all the pylons then have 20 fucking cylons spawn and kill your spacebull is infuriating. I dont even want to play this anymore if upgrading my ship to not have a gimp jump range involved using the srv and going back to that stupid planet.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    The SRV might be the most retarded thing ever designed. driving it is like trying to control a raging bull with rockets attached to it. Also doing 40 jumps to get to some guardian place to charge all the pylons then have 20 fucking cylons spawn and kill your spacebull is infuriating. I dont even want to play this anymore if upgrading my ship to not have a gimp jump range involved using the srv and going back to that stupid planet.

You can just draw them out one at a time

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TubeTube Registered User admin
      Let’s not use retarded as a pejorative in the year of our lord 2020

• Options
      That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
      kralizecc wrote: »
      -

Your technique may need some change. On a good day I can get 200-400 million an hour, provided there's a place to sell them for 1 mill each in easy reach. It's insane how much faster mining can be than any other money making mechanic.

Edit: I do regular mining, triple hotspots don't help with cored asteroid propagation. I use a huge ship with plenty of space though, so I carry the detonators for when I do happen to come across one. In the places where hotspots overlap, you see roids with 15%-30% diamond content all over the place.

In my Anaconda, I was able to rack up around a billion spacebux in an evening of play. I found a double painite hotspot that was just a few jumps from a good sell point.

• Options
      Maybe I just need to wing with y'all and sponge off your profits.

• Options
      TubeTube Registered User admin
      One thing I'd definitely say is that you shouldn't be jumping 30 times to get to a good spot, they're all over the place.

• Options
      SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Enigmedic wrote: »

You can just draw them out one at a time

Also fit a couple point defense turrets on the top of your ship and land as close to the Guardian site as possible. Your ship's turrets will shoot down the Sentinel missiles for you as you drive around making them far less dangerous.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    • Options
      30 jumps is also kinda relative to your ship. One man's 30 might be another man's 6. Engineered fsd's combined with a guardian fsd booster makes a tremendous boost over baseline jump performance.

Travel to and from mining sites should improve with fleet carriers. I don't know how expensive the jump fuel will be, but I bet that a fully laden mining ship can afford to budget jumps between a great mining site and the point of sale.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
      Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah, if they sold the throttle separately I'd buy one to tide me over. QC issues aside, the X55/56 just has a really nice control layout compared to other throttles out there.

Having owned both, and watched the Saitek->Madcatz->Logitech transition, I'd strongly argue for higher confidence in current production X56 than X55 for quality control and build quality, even if you prefer the later's aesthetics or whatever. But yes, it's a lot if you just want a throttle.

• Options
      EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
      Tube wrote: »
      Let’s not use retarded as a pejorative in the year of our lord 2020

Sorry i was unbelievably pissed off last night.

I ended up just self destructing the ship so i didnt have to spend another hour flying back just to buy an srv since i got zerged down by drones when i activated the 6th pylon. Now i redid my mods to have 2 srvs in the ship and im messing around with the controls before going again.

As to mining. There is a double painite spot on a system like 1 jump away from sorough. The sell point is also 1 jump away at i think the system is Roxy or something like that. No jumping around like crazy since they are right next to each other.

• Options
      Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
      edited January 2020
      @Genji-Gloves I 100% apologize for missing your application. I think I accepted it, but I figured I'd get a little notification (I don't!). If it didn't go through, let me know and put another in and I'll accept it. I've been on, just never looked!

No need to apologize just checked and I’m good and now in the squadron. Just trying to find a time to hop on over the next week.

Got my main ships in the station ready to go.

Genji-Gloves on
    • Options
      I'm not sure if posting links like this is frowned on here, but this is what I use to find triple hotspots.
      http://edtools.ddns.net/miner

I use an imperial cutter to mine, 4 mining lasers, two abrasion blasters, one seismic charge launcher. Two size 8 cargo racks, size 6 shield generator (for minor scrapes), size 6 fuel scoop, two size 5 collector controllers, 1 size 5 prospector, size 4 refinery and then all the usual fix'ns. Very pleased with how it performs while I listen to an audio book or podcast.

• Options
      Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
      Elite is very good for chilling and listening to podcasts.

So the carriers going to be no more than 20 billion huh? Seems about right I guess. On the plus side they are indestructible.

• Options
      edited January 2020
      I decided to track down the source of the 20 billion number. Looks like somebody submitted a support ticket asking about carrier prices?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/gamescom-reveals-fleet-carrier-details.520110/page-65#post-7980259

I'm not confident that the source can be trusted. However my gut kinda suspects that it may be correct regardless. Sorta like if some crazy guy on the street were to grab me and whisper in my ear that he has insider information that either a Republican or a Democrat will win the US presidential election. An "i have no faith in your word, but what you said just now probably is the case" type feeling.

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      On my way to sell 512 tons of ltd, if anyone is near borann and wants to wing up you can get some delicious trade dividends

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Would anyone be able to post a little how-to about these mining runs that generate hundreds of millions? I'd like to do this to make sure I get a fleet carrier without a crazy time investment like other means.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
        Would anyone be able to post a little how-to about these mining runs that generate hundreds of millions? I'd like to do this to make sure I get a fleet carrier without a crazy time investment like other means.

Some Youtubers did breakdowns on how to get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T0vj6agJpQ
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK8iNeVtApA

• Options
        The payout rates have started crashing after the patch earlier this week, but the "how" from those videos will still make a pretty penny.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        Ok, so those videos are saying to ignore deep core mining entirely? That's all I've been doing, so maybe that's what I've been completely wrong about?

• Options
        PSA: If you mine in open, fellow pirates like to sniff around the popular spots as well, but mostly we they wait around the high end selling spots (it changes).

Most are decent chaps after a few tons of cargo but some are just jerks who blow people up.

• Options
        Did frontier ever implement any reasons to sell in open? Like in grand theft auto online, running the griefer gauntlet to sell my goods can earn me up to a 25% increase in payout. In Eve, venturing out into null sec introduces risks that are offset by the allure of greater profits. But the last time that I played Elite, selling in open introduces additional risk with no benefit whatsoever.

Usually the risk is really low for most of the bubble, but the high profit stations are Hotspots that draw players to them.

3DS Friend Code: