As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I went to YouTube to watch the video. Searched Smash Direct and every thumbnail was a spoiler. Like, I don't care that much, but jeez people.

This is why, when I woke up, I got my wife to bring it up for me.

I am so glad I slept in.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Side note: I got a birthday email from Nintendo and they're giving out 300 Platinum coins. Wow, um...thanks?

I know that's super snarky and rude of me, but what's the point? Platinum coins are virtually useless.

Nintendo is like that friend who never gets you anything for your birthday but doesn’t want to look bad. So he reaches into his pocket and is like “Here’s this Subway coupon. $1 off a foot long combo. Expires tomorrow. Happy Birthday. Eat Fresh.”

That was last year. This year he didn’t have a coupon so he gave you the leftover arcade tokens from his trip to the only remaining Sega Gameworks. Only redeemable at that location.

Not gonna lie; if someone gave me some arcade tokens, especially SEGA ones, I'd keep, treasure, and appreciate them.

Regarding Fire Emblem, I'm a little weary of certain... aspects... of that series.

It's something I'm hoping Langrisser I & II can fill the void of.

https://youtu.be/wKAi9maPGKA

Anyone ever play the originals?

It's going to depend heavily on which aspects make you weary.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah if it's the anime women wearing scantily clad armor/clothes then I think Langrisser is worse than Fire Emblem. Both games have really good combat though.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Thinking of picking up Pokemon Sword or Shield as my first ever Pokemon game.

Lots of nerd rage on the internet over it though. Are the things people are angry over a thing i'd even realize or notice as a first timer?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Lots of nerd rage on the internet over it though. Are the things people are angry over a thing i'd even realize or notice as a first timer?

No.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

As a Pokemon amateur, the things people were upset about I think I actually appreciated? The big one I remember is that people were upset all 1000 or however many pokemon weren't in this one. It only had 400 or so.

But to me, the best part of playing Pokemon Let's Go was the manageable number of pokemon. Just the original 151 plus a few extras. So the reduction in pokemon to a less manageable than 150 but more manageable than 1000 is a significant pro.

Like I said though, I'm a pokemon amateur. I don't know how the other games handled having "all" the pokemon. Did you transfer them from the other games? Were they mostly available through trading or transfers, and not naturally found over the course of play? How exactly did previous entries juggle the preposterous menagerie that had accumulated?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I've never played Pokemon but I've typically gotten 100% compendiums in Shin Megami Tensei (and Persona) games from ATLUS and anything more than 400 sounds totally ludicrous. Even 200-300 is too much, IMO, which is what I think most SMT games have.

I have no idea how it even works in Pokemon anyway. Can you breed Pokemon or do you have to capture all of them?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

Yeah Sword/Shield is the first one I've finished since Blue/Red and I've bought almost all of them.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I actually own quite a few Pokermans but the only one I ever played was like an hour of Red, and about an hour or two total of Pokemon Go on my phone.

Should I get Sword or Shield or both? What's the benefit of buying both?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

It's great. The last Pokemon I played was Blue, and Shield is a really fun game with tons of QoL features that are new to me.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Like I said though, I'm a pokemon amateur. I don't know how the other games handled having "all" the pokemon. Did you transfer them from the other games? Were they mostly available through trading or transfers, and not naturally found over the course of play? How exactly did previous entries juggle the preposterous menagerie that had accumulated?

It's mostly trading or, in some cases, one-way transfers from game to game. Each individual game only had 300-400 actually catchable but you could have used all (700/800/900) through bringing them over from previous generations.
    Drez wrote: »
    I've never played Pokemon but I've typically gotten 100% compendiums in Shin Megami Tensei (and Persona) games from ATLUS and anything more than 400 sounds totally ludicrous. Even 200-300 is too much, IMO, which is what I think most SMT games have.

I have no idea how it even works in Pokemon anyway. Can you breed Pokemon or do you have to capture all of them?

You'll have to capture or trade for at least one from every evolutionary line, but it's definitely not catching 400 distinct mons. Since you can just get a stage 1 mon and evolve it twice for two more entries, or get a stage 2 mon and breed it to get the stage 1.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Honestly this game has way too many Pokemon available way too early in the game. It's overwhelming to my decision making abilities. I demand a return to rt1 has rodent and bird, first area has a bug, maybe even 2 bug and a hint of a rare spawn mouse. I needed that to ground me before they're just like yolo heres the wild area

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Honestly this game has way too many Pokemon available way too early in the game. It's overwhelming to my decision making abilities. I demand a return to rt1 has rodent and bird, first area has a bug, maybe even 2 bug and a hint of a rare spawn mouse. I needed that to ground me before they're just like yolo heres the wild area

I mitigate that by only using newly introduced Pokemon each generation. If you add restrictions to yourself then it makes the numbers much more managable. This tactic works best if you play every generation, and is especially fun if you go in (mostly) blind.

Cruor on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

No.

Depends on what you're talking about.

Part of the reason I didn't get it is all the things people said were noticeable while playing: ultra-trite and pointless dialogue, everyone just talks about the champion and his Charizard constantly. The game development was rushed to meet its schedule so there are essentially no cutscenes or anything that would require custom animation. One scene I heard discussed was where everyone in town was saying "OH MY GOD LOOK OVER THERE, SOME CRAZY SHIT IS GOING DOWN JUST OFF SCREEN" and you go there and you just missed it, but it definitely happened, trust me etc. Some gyms/towns are super brief/rushed-feeling, nothing to them at all.

I heard that while the wild area is fun, before too long it ends up feeling soulless and empty, as there really aren't any notable things to do there or hidden secrets to find - you see a cool tower in the distance, you go there, and...yeah, it's just a cool tower. Geometry. No item hidden underneath or side quest or anything.

So that's what I'm angry about. I know it's a series for children, but they can evolve a little bit. Past games have done a better job at all of these things.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

No.

Part of the reason I didn't get it is all the things people said were noticeable while playing: ultra-trite and pointless dialogue, everyone just talks about the champion and his Charizard constantly. The game development was rushed to meet its schedule so there are essentially no cutscenes or anything that would require custom animation. One scene I heard discussed was where everyone in town was saying "OH MY GOD LOOK OVER THERE, SOME CRAZY SHIT IS GOING DOWN JUST OFF SCREEN" and you go there and you just missed it, but it definitely happened, trust me etc. Some gyms/towns are super brief/rushed-feeling, nothing to them at all.

I heard that while the wild area is fun, before too long it ends up feeling soulless and empty, as there really aren't any notable things to do there or hidden secrets to find - you see a cool tower in the distance, you go there, and...yeah, it's just a cool tower. Geometry. No item hidden underneath or side quest or anything.

So that's what I'm angry about. I know it's a series for children, but they can evolve a little bit. Past games have done a better job at all of these things.

Yeah see I'm the opposite. I didn't feel any of this while playing.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Don't go in hoping for Pokemon of the Wild because you'll only get Wild Pokemon and charming but shallow gym battles.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Quest Hunter is a nice, simple coop RPG if you have littles and want to play with them.

Sadly I missed the Switch sale, so i grabbed it on Steam and play it via Steam streaming to the couch.

My 5-year-old is loving it.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    Quest Hunter is a nice, simple coop RPG if you have littles and want to play with them.

Sadly I missed the Switch sale, so i grabbed it on Steam and play it via Steam streaming to the couch.

Does the camera follow player 1?

• Options
    I saw just the name earlier and imagined a game where you hunt quests? Like a little scroll with an exclamation point on it out in wilderness and you sneak up on it and stab it right in its wax seal!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

Does the camera follow player 1?

It zooms out to keep everyone on-screen. You'll eventually just not be able to move further out until you get closer together. But it let's you get fairly far apart.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

No.

The game is absolutely evolved. It has a ton of quality of life changes like letting you swap pokemon on the go from your box, showing ability effectiveness in the fighting menu, and has the most robust pvp in any pokemon game ever. It's also the first time the game has been fleshed out in a fully 3D world and it looks great.

The game development being rushed thing is nothing but speculation from some fans (primarily on Reddit) who were upset that they weren't getting 100% of the things they were expecting like a full pokedex (which would be ridiculous imo).

I think from a dollars and cents value perspective it's one of the best purchases you can make on the Switch and I'm not really a pokemon fan.

• Options
    I saw just the name earlier and imagined a game where you hunt quests? Like a little scroll with an exclamation point on it out in wilderness and you sneak up on it and stab it right in its wax seal!

I think the name comes from what seems so far like a pretty stereotypical quest system. Kill this. Find that.

But the combat is sort of Zelda-like. There's equipment. Some skills. Your character looks different when you change gear, quick slot consumables galore, block puzzles, dungeons, etc.

It seems very simple and the story seems fairly mediocre, but I wanted a simple RPG to co-op with my son, and this so far is perfect for that.

The few reviews I skimmed mentioned building, too. We've collected a lot of wood and stone so far, but haven't had any crafting or building opportunities yet.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

No.

Yeah see I'm the opposite. I didn't feel any of this while playing.

yeah usually we who played the game loved it, and people who didn't play the game are "angry". I didn't "hear" the wild areas were fun, I went there and had a ton of fun. Sure, the game was kinda rushed and could have been fleshed out more, that I agree. But to take that as a proof that it's souless garbage, eugh. This is easily my favorite gen since 5, and it's also better than 1 and 4 by miles.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

No.

Besides every single gym leader and all the other named story NPCs you encounter? This was the first game where you got characterization from the way that someone threw their Pokeball.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I thought Sun and Moon had pokeball throwing animations for trainers, including characterization based on their stance before battle (some of them tossing the ball and catching it as they wait), their pose before battle, and then throwing the ball in battle.
    yeah usually we who played the game loved it, and people who didn't play the game are "angry". I didn't "hear" the wild areas were fun, I went there and had a ton of fun. Sure, the game was kinda rushed and could have been fleshed out more, that I agree. But to take that as a proof that it's souless garbage, eugh. This is easily my favorite gen since 5, and it's also better than 1 and 4 by miles.

I'm not "angry," I used the word to echo the post I was quoting. I'm happy I dodged a bullet and have plenty of better games to play.

Like, I dunno, did that scene I heard about not happen? There was never a moment where people referred to things happening that you didn't get to see, conspicuously in lieu of animating it? What about moments that e.g. simply show a drawing of something instead of a scene? Sort of like a similar moment criticized in Three Houses for the same reason, or even certain scenes in X and Y.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    I have no idea what scene is that. It's actually probably in, but it left zero impression on me. Thing is, this small but extremely hysterical group of people decided to hate on SwSh since the dex announcement, and they will latch on to any silly thing that might be construed as a cardinal sin. I've seen the posts on reddit. Everything is bad, GF is a company full of horrible monsters, Pokemon is a scam.

BTW, now that I mentioned reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/eq14x6/pokémon_sword_and_shield_has_broken_the_record_of/

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I heard about it from Arlo's review. He can be tough but fair. He's not one of those hysterical latch onto stuff bandwagon people, in fact in several videos he laments that people focus on the wrong thing to criticize and thus paint all criticism as coming from that hysterical, silly place. Even legit stuff. And I mean, really, who is to say that the things that matter to me aren't legitimate criticisms? Everyone wants to dismiss the viewpoints they don't like.

I think it was in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Esz3S3FL0

On top of that I've basically felt this way since X and Y. Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire were good, but it felt like in part because that particular generation had been good...I had never played it back in the day but it was refreshing to play a Pokemon game where the story felt like it had actual stakes and the world actually was threatened for a while. Sun and Moon turned me right back off of it though. Garbage rival. Dumb story. Trite dialogue. And scaling back somewhat on the world interactions too, which I heard also came to a head in Sword and Shield which doesn't have trees to cut, stones to push, anything like that? I'm a little less clear on that aspect. What I'd probably refer to as Golden Sun puzzles or Metroidvania elements.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

No.

The game is absolutely evolved. It has a ton of quality of life changes like letting you swap pokemon on the go from your box, showing ability effectiveness in the fighting menu, and has the most robust pvp in any pokemon game ever. It's also the first time the game has been fleshed out in a fully 3D world and it looks great.

The game development being rushed thing is nothing but speculation from some fans (primarily on Reddit) who were upset that they weren't getting 100% of the things they were expecting like a full pokedex (which would be ridiculous imo).

I think from a dollars and cents value perspective it's one of the best purchases you can make on the Switch and I'm not really a pokemon fan.

Wait, why is that ridiculous? Is this not the first time a Pokemon game hasn't had a full Pokedex? I was surprised they didn't have it. You can never catch every Poke in any given game, but you could always bring em forward to the latest one, until now.

Anyway, I'm borrowing PokeSword until PAX East, up to the 4th gym and think it's pretty dang bland, so far. I'm struggling to stay invested - I skipped SuMo, but did play X, and don't think this feels like much of an improvement over that one. In which I caught em all. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options

No.

Wait, why is that ridiculous? Is this not the first time a Pokemon game hasn't had a full Pokedex? I was surprised they didn't have it. You can never catch every Poke in any given game, but you could always bring em forward to the latest one, until now.

Anyway, I'm borrowing PokeSword until PAX East, up to the 4th gym and think it's pretty dang bland, so far. I'm struggling to stay invested - I skipped SuMo, but did play X, and don't think this feels like much of an improvement over that one. In which I caught em all. ;P

Because I think 800+ pokemon to catch is just too much.

• Options
    edited January 2020

Yeah, this isn't my biggest concern but regarding whether it would be ridiculous, Ultra Sun and Moon apparently had around 809 pokemon in them and the models were already supposed to be high res and future proof. Sword and Shield have about 893 pokemon. It seems arbitrary that going from 809 -> 893 suddenly crosses the "ridiculous" line. It was possibly ridiculous already, but they sure maintained some expectations that 600, 700, 800 pokemon were fine in the past. Pokemon is also the highest grossing entertainment franchise of all time, they could probably afford to hire some more people if necessary. It's bigger than Assassin's Creed which has one hour of credits. Bigger than Marvel too.
    Because I think 800+ pokemon to catch is just too much.

The point is not that they should be catchable. They should be importable.

For all I care they could only make 200 catchable during the storyline and then 100 more catchable in the postgame, all that really matters is supporting previous pokemon for those with a collection spanning decades.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    I still think it's too much.

Granted, the expansions are adding legacy pokemon over time too.

• Options

Unfortunately they're adding more to actually catch, rather than simply adding support for importing those pokemon.

• Options
    Isn't that what Pokemon Home is for? Honestly I feel like every time I play a new game I like to start fresh anyway (unless it has something story related like Mass Effect) so I'm fairly lucky.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

Unfortunately they're adding more to actually catch, rather than simply adding support for importing those pokemon.

[citation needed]

Because Pokemon Home is coming, and with it the ability to bring some of your collection to the new game. We absolutely WILL be able to import Pokemon from Bank in a month.

Also, with the expansions/updates announced, it's a very strong indication that eventually the entire bazillion Pokemon will be importable to Sword/Shield.

So everyone whinging about "omg my collection" is jumping the gun. We WILL be able to have all our Pokemon in the newest gen game. Just a little patience is required.

As to playing it as a "new" player? Do it. 400 is a very nice number for a healthy PvP meta, and lots of the new ones added this gen are cool and cute.

Also we have a Pokemon thread if you want more... In depth opinions.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

That isn't true actually, you can import anyone that they add to the post game using Pokemon Home.

I have Pokemon Box with a bunch of the Legendaries I've caught over the years. I'll be sending those to Home and then from Home to Sworld/Shield expansions. :D

jpg

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »

[citation needed]
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    That isn't true actually, you can import anyone that they add to the post game using Pokemon Home.

I know this. They're doing both, adding more to catch and therefore adding more to import. I'm saying this doesn't meet SatanIsMyMotor's desire for fewer pokemon to deal with.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

[citation needed]

I know this. They're doing both, adding more to catch and therefore adding more to import. I'm saying this doesn't meet SatanIsMyMotor's desire for fewer pokemon to deal with.

Oh gotcha, that is true.

I'm excited so much about the expansions. I look forward to catching more Pokemon and not having to start over like a new release would have required. The only one I'm worried about is how easy finding the legendaries will be, so I'll be transferring mine over from Home/Bank when that releases.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Sweet, I'll fire up my 3DS and send my shiny Blaziken!

• Options

[citation needed]

My desire isn't for fewer. I was stating that 400 is more than enough. Considering the rest come from pokemon Home or the expansions, it's up to me to opt into or out at the given time.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I don't care what Arlo said, I care what my experience was like. I had a ton of fun and I'm super stoked about the expansions. And Arlo is kinda on the dexit camp, I honestly ignore anything he has to say about pokemon. He's not even famous enough to appear on the Muppet movies!

camo_sig2.png