As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Speaking of Jason Schreier and Horizon
    The PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn will come to personal computers this year, sources tell Kotaku.
    https://kotaku.com/sources-horizon-zero-dawn-is-coming-to-pc-1841043569

!!!!!!!!!!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It's a decent idea. The game is worth peanuts now, so hook a new audience, make some more money and those people might splurge for a ps5 to play the sequel.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mean, I won't pay them full Triple A pricing for it, but if it goes down to like $10 or $20, I might snag it again, just to play it on my PC.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Also, if it goes PS5 exclusive, fine, whatever, I'll just miss out for a year or two or something. It's not ideal, but that's life.

I'd still like a teaser or even a trailer.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I'll buy it when I get a PC that can outdo the PS4 (they're about even for me at the moment, so I doubt I'd get a better framerate).
    That said, I'll buy it immediately if people manage to mod it and make this:
    i843i307n39r.png

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'll buy it when I get a PC that can outdo the PS4 (they're about even for me at the moment, so I doubt I'd get a better framerate).
    i843i307n39r.png

I'd say chances are we'll get this model a day into release on PC.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    i843i307n39r.png

I'd say chances are we'll get this model a day into release on PC.
    I mean, you'll probably have to reduce the breast size, but yeah. It'll EXIST on release. Just... not in the right proportions, so to speak.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    You're next, God of War.

(I have no evidence besides what I think is somewhat reasonable guesswork.)

Synthesis on
    I remember hoping and praying for this day and people telling me I was crazy.

It'll have taken over 3 years to happen, but honestly, for those of us not hurting for games to play, movies/shows to watch, and other things to do, but all told that's not too bad a turnaround.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Fucking God of War is giving me fits. Trying to finish opening all the realm tears in the mist area in the hardest difficulty. I think I am just going to replay through the game on easy. Since the item drop is completely random I could spend way more time fucking around with nothing to show for it or I could do it the for sure way. At least I will have finished everything else on the hardest difficulty. I just don't understand why devs still like to lock stuff behind stupid random drops in the year 2018.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    I think that PlayStation Wrap-Up is borked for me. It says I played 10 games (which is correct) for a grand total of 912 hours. Top 3 were:

God of War - 61 hours
    Marvel's Spiderman - 49 hours
    Last of Us Remastered - 49 hours

Even if the other seven games averaged out to 48 hours each (and there's no way they do, two of those games were Limbo and Inside and they're shorties) it would still only come out to 495 hours. Does the wrap up include any time you're using media apps, like Netflix? That would make the 912 hours more plausible. Granted, I don't get out much, but I didn't think I was playing games for more than 900 hours last year.

Does anyone else have a weird number?

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Fucking God of War is giving me fits. Trying to finish opening all the realm tears in the mist area in the hardest difficulty. I think I am just going to replay through the game on easy. Since the item drop is completely random I could spend way more time fucking around with nothing to show for it or I could do it the for sure way. At least I will have finished everything else on the hardest difficulty. I just don't understand why devs still like to lock stuff behind stupid random drops in the year 2018.

That "content" is really only for people who intrinsically enjoy it (a la Diablo) or absolutely must finish everything. That's why it's gated in a completely separate realm - so you don't have to do it if you don't want to. It's also why the rewards generally don't impact the fundamental gameplay. There's a ton of fantastic content that has nothing to do with speedrunning an RNG dungeon.

I've personally stopped caring about playing those types of games or spending dozens of hours grinding for completeness' sake, and it's done wonders for my perspective on and enjoyment of games in general.

The only things that made me reduce the difficulty were the
    Valkyries.

I'm way too old to have the reaction speed to finish those fights on the harder difficulties.

furlion wrote: »

That "content" is really only for people who intrinsically enjoy it (a la Diablo) or absolutely must finish everything. That's why it's gated in a completely separate realm - so you don't have to do it if you don't want to. It's also why the rewards generally don't impact the fundamental gameplay. There's a ton of fantastic content that has nothing to do with speedrunning an RNG dungeon.

I've personally stopped caring about playing those types of games or spending dozens of hours grinding for completeness' sake, and it's done wonders for my perspective on and enjoyment of games in general.

The only things that made me reduce the difficulty were the
    Valkyries.

I'm way too old to have the reaction speed to finish those fights on the harder difficulties.

I have finished the first 8 Valkyries on the hardest difficulty. Finished baldur off last night no problem, took like 10 tries. I just want the Platinum trophy and the only reason I played on the hardest difficulty was to make fun of my friend so I can't be that mad. I don't mind playing through it again especially since after playing on give me God of War, easy will be such a cake walk.

The mist area was legit my favorite part of the game. I love the choice of going deeper and risk losing my life or running back and getting lesser rewards.

The mist area was legit my favorite part of the game. I love the choice of going deeper and risk losing my life or running back and getting lesser rewards.

Oh it is a very cool concept and really works to add some longevity to the game. It is just that locking the three realm tears behind items that are, in effect, completely random drops is an asshole move. It is dumb that it will be faster for me to play though the game up to that point and grind up all the mist then it would be for me to constantly run through the workshop and hope for the drops.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Anyone else have any issues with a PS4 that just won't stay in rest mode?

Ours has been just randomly shutting off while in Rest mode and I can't figure out why. I've rebuilt the database and messed with the power save settings. The next step I guess is to swap out the power strip?

It's incredibly annoying as I use remote play a lot and some days I check before I leave for work that it's in rest mode, and 4 hours later when I have a break it's off and I can't connect to anything. Other days it's just fine.

Any ideas?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Ours has been just randomly shutting off while in Rest mode and I can't figure out why. I've rebuilt the database and messed with the power save settings. The next step I guess is to swap out the power strip?

It's incredibly annoying as I use remote play a lot and some days I check before I leave for work that it's in rest mode, and 4 hours later when I have a break it's off and I can't connect to anything. Other days it's just fine.

Any ideas?
    Sounds like it is losing power somehow, like you thought.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    A 6 hour pop band concert.

Flutes. Lots and lots of flutes.

Also a barn. You heard it here first, folks.

Any ideas?
    Sounds like it is losing power somehow, like you thought.

The easy way to tell is wait for it to happen again and then see what happens when you start it back up. If it checks the hard drive and tells you that it was shut down improperly then it must be losing power. Otherwise I have no clue.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Any ideas?

I had this issue one summer when we had a lot of brown-outs. I suspect power interruptions of some sort. If that's the case there may not be a ton you can do about it. Maybe use a UPS or something.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    ouchies wrote: »
    I think that PlayStation Wrap-Up is borked for me.
    Does anyone else have a weird number?

I believe it also counts time spent in certain apps like Netflix towards overall hours for the year.

Decided to start playing Last of Us finally. I think I held off for so long because post apoc type games are a hard sell for me, and it kind of blended in with the others.
    I didn’t realize it was a Naughty Dog game somehow... The character interactions are great of course, I’m just bracing myself for bad times ahead I assume. 😬

Witchsight.png
    If you didn't finish the intro without bawling your eyes out then you're dead inside.

Any ideas?

I had this issue one summer when we had a lot of brown-outs. I suspect power interruptions of some sort. If that's the case there may not be a ton you can do about it. Maybe use a UPS or something.

Yeah Im totally stumped.

No problems at all when playing once its on. I can play all day or leave it on all day and it's fine.

Putting it into rest mode, it almost immediately then powers down - and when you turn it back on you get the "This PS4 was shut down improperly" and does the whole rebuild thing.

I've rebuilt the database, swapped the power strip it was using, changed energy savings settings.

I am completely stumped and really don't want to buy a new one with the PS5 around the corner, but I use remote play constantly so I have no idea what to try next.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Any ideas?

Yeah Im totally stumped.

No problems at all when playing once its on. I can play all day or leave it on all day and it's fine.

Putting it into rest mode, it almost immediately then powers down - and when you turn it back on you get the "This PS4 was shut down improperly" and does the whole rebuild thing.

I've rebuilt the database, swapped the power strip it was using, changed energy savings settings.

I am completely stumped and really don't want to buy a new one with the PS5 around the corner, but I use remote play constantly so I have no idea what to try next.

Unplug any USB accessories, and if using an external drive see if it does the same with that drive disconnected.

camo_sig2.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    plug it into another outlet? Just for funsies to see if it still does it.

50433.png?1708759015
    It sounds like it's trying to trigger a reduced power usage as it goes into rest mode and then is either not pulling enough, or something is pulling too much from it. I would do what the posters above me mentioned.

edited January 2020
    yeah I think its dying or something. I tried all the above and nothing worked. It shuts down every time I put it in rest mode after playing anything. If nothing is launched, it sits in rest mode just fine. So usually now I'll finish playing, put it in rest mode. Watch it power down. Turn it back on, let it do its rebuilding thing - immediately put it into rest mode. Stays in rest mode forever. Then I will ultimately do remote play, it boots up great, I'll play a little something, then rest mode for a meeting...and then it never comes back.

I just tried shutting down all applications, THEN putting it in rest and it still immediately powered down.

Really weird but I guess Ill just shut it down every night until PS5 comes out...

mxmarks on
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    yeah I think its dying or something. I tried all the above and nothing worked. It shuts down every time I put it in rest mode after playing anything. If nothing is launched, it sits in rest mode just fine. So usually now I'll finish playing, put it in rest mode. Watch it power down. Turn it back on, let it do its rebuilding thing - immediately put it into rest mode. Stays in rest mode forever. Then I will ultimately do remote play, it boots up great, I'll play a little something, then rest mode for a meeting...and then it never comes back.

I just tried shutting down all applications, THEN putting it in rest and it still immediately powered down.

Really weird but I guess Ill just shut it down every night until PS5 comes out...

Stupid question, but have you tried changing the settings under Power Save Settings? Even if they look good, change them to see if it triggers a change in behavior? Maybe even turn off the Supply Power to USB option there under Set Features for Rest Mode?

camo_sig2.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I did a bunch of internal fiddling with my DS4 a few months back. It has taken until just now to realize I never properly reconnected the touchpad.

Goes to show just how much that thing is actually used. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Do we know if that will return? I hope not. At least it wasn't as obtrusive as the Vita touchpad.

If the PS5 is going to be fully BC, it pretty much has to be.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    If the PS5 is going to be fully BC, it pretty much has to be.

Is there a game that 100% requires it though? BC could also support PS4 controllers.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I’m pretty sure Gravity Rush 2 requires the touchpad.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    lots of games use the touchpad as two sets of buttons that are unique from 'option'.

It depends on your definition of "requirement". Plenty of games use it superfluously. I only discovered it was borked when I played an impromptu game of Binding of Isaac and couldn't move the map. Oddly enough the "button" aspect still worked. I've been playing a bunch of Yakuza 0 lately, so I was obviously able to open the map fine. But I guess that game also lets you drag your finger and move the map around... which is why I never noticed because why the hell would you want to do that clunky motion? :)

Off the top of my head, the games I can think of that use the touchpad in a required gameplay manner are Infamous and Detroit.

Ahhh, good point. Here's hoping they allow PS4 controllers for BC.

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    The piglet just inherited a box each of Disney Infinity and Skylander figurines. Unfortunately the boxes came with XBox launch pads, which google says do not play well with others, and software. He hasn't taken to the vidja games yet(?) so was hoping to find opinions on the games themselves before giving all my money away to Amazon.

The junior science officer has played a bit of Lego Marvel. Mostly just the first level with the "big green guy" so I'm leaning toward picking up a Disney 2.0 pad/game pack. The (inherited) box includes a lot of Marvel stuff so I'm looking at buying the Brave 2.0 kit to play the Marvel story-mode stuff and avoid duplicate figurines. Unless I've misunderstood this wonky Disney system.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    Bioshock collection, Sims 4, and a bonus VR game are the months offerings for ps+. Pretty good month I think since I only played Bioshock 1 and wouldn't mind getting the platinumv plus playing the other 2. Sims might be fun with my family, not sure how tough or long the trophies are for that one.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Does the Collection include Bioshock Infinite? Because that was a really good story (but not a great game IMO).

Another "free" VR game too! Wheeeee

26904.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Does the Collection include Bioshock Infinite? Because that was a really good story (but not a great game IMO).

Another "free" VR game too! Wheeeee

1, 2, and infinite and all the dlc, I believe.

Stabbity_Style.png