As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Magicians] Fem Bot Nick Fury

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Margo and Josh had roughly 0 chemistry imo.

It felt super out of place. Me and the SO both very much agreed it felt super weird.

DemonStacey on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I felt it worked well for their characters where they were at the time, but wouldn't make sense long-term.

Jragghen on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It showed Margo’s fierce loyalty for her friends

Truly the Greatest of Kings

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/ZiUMhh4gV1w

Only a month away.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    That’s cool

But

Can Alice move on please

Like make her polyamorous like her mother or WHATEVER to stop the Q bullshit and just let her be a wizard badass

The mortal equivalent of Julia

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    And it's back.

Alice continues to ruin everything.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I fucking LOVE THIS SHOW!

I am going to be devastated when it's gone.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Been looking forward to this show's return more than pretty much any other show currently on the air. Feel like our friends are back in town.

It's gonna be a tough season after last year's stellar one, though. They got their work cut out for them.

Penny as an instructor of a bunch of Little Pennys is utterly fantastic and almost spinoff worthy

#TeamAlice

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Been looking forward to this show's return more than pretty much any other show currently on the air. Feel like our friends are back in town.

It's gonna be a tough season after last year's stellar one, though. They got their work cut out for them.

Penny as an instructor of a bunch of Little Pennys is utterly fantastic and almost spinoff worthy

#TeamAlice

I did not know that Penny's actor, Arjun Gupta, was in the pilot of Limitless. I rewatched it recently and did a double take when he showed up.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I haven't watched the new season yet, but recently binged through S1-4 and,

1. the show is so much better than the books, wow

2. the S4 finale annoys me a little because...
    ...they've cheated death so goddamn often by that point. I don't mind Quentin dying, the show doesn't need a protagonist, it's better as an ensemble and I like his character but it's not a big deal to lose him.

But come the fuck on, when anyone else dies there's trips to the underworld, alternate dimensions, time travel, epic spells, divine intervention... but this time they're like, oh well let's just accept his death.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

...they've cheated death so goddamn often by that point. I don't mind Quentin dying, the show doesn't need a protagonist, it's better as an ensemble and I like his character but it's not a big deal to lose him.

But come the fuck on, when anyone else dies there's trips to the underworld, alternate dimensions, time travel, epic spells, divine intervention... but this time they're like, oh well let's just accept his death.
    Penny for-real died. They spent, what, most of a season? Season and a half? Trying to bring him back with one degree or another of intensity of effort, ultimately proving ineffective. He's still dead.

I've also not watched the new season yet but if they don't go off on a "Bring Q Back To Life" quest immediately, that seems like a reasonable explanation. They just did that and it didn't work.

Purposefully bringing in a version of him from another timeline would give us continuity of actor, like with Penny, but they brought in Other Penny by accident. Purposefully trying to snag themselves a New Quentin right after he died to save the universe or whatever seems...crass?

If the actor decides he wants to come back there are infinite opportunities to make it happen but I think they laid the groundwork pretty well for him not getting an immediate resurrection.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    This continues to be like the most attractive cast on TV.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Jragghen wrote: »

I have a huge crush on Penny.

Edit: Also on Margo and Elliot.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

I mean the two weakest links are at least technically dead.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular

Penny for-real died. They spent, what, most of a season? Season and a half? Trying to bring him back with one degree or another of intensity of effort, ultimately proving ineffective. He's still dead.

I've also not watched the new season yet but if they don't go off on a "Bring Q Back To Life" quest immediately, that seems like a reasonable explanation. They just did that and it didn't work.

Purposefully bringing in a version of him from another timeline would give us continuity of actor, like with Penny, but they brought in Other Penny by accident. Purposefully trying to snag themselves a New Quentin right after he died to save the universe or whatever seems...crass?

If the actor decides he wants to come back there are infinite opportunities to make it happen but I think they laid the groundwork pretty well for him not getting an immediate resurrection.
    Penny actually isn't dead, nevermind alternate universe Penny, which itself is proof of concept of something a grieving significant other would jump at - but they actually made a point of stressing that he's stuck as an astral projection but not a ghost or spirit. One of the plots in that season was explicitly "ok, after we get magic turned back on, we'll build you a new body the way we magically built one for Alice to fix her nephilim form"

He only ended up in the underworld because of his library contract, and even then, Kady definitely hasn't given up on rescuing him, it's just no one else gives a fuck.

At the very least I'd expect Alice to mount an expedition to the afterlife to rescue his soul, since Quentin literally did the same for her when the nephilim fixing spell required reuniting her soul with her shade.

I'd also expect Quentin to not immediately be ready to move on, like this guy especially has every reason to refuse to accept his circumstances, to expect a resurrection and need tons of times to realize one isn't coming.

Like it's a fine character death and great scenes around it but given all the other crazy shit that happened in the series it just seems forced.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    POUR ME A DRAFT OF MEDICINAL COCAINE

DO YOU NOT EVEN HAVE BASIC MEDICINE

I HEAR HYSTERIA SUCH AS YOURS CAN BE CURED BY PELVIC MASSAGE.... i must go

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Penny actually isn't dead, nevermind alternate universe Penny, which itself is proof of concept of something a grieving significant other would jump at - but they actually made a point of stressing that he's stuck as an astral projection but not a ghost or spirit. One of the plots in that season was explicitly "ok, after we get magic turned back on, we'll build you a new body the way we magically built one for Alice to fix her nephilim form"

He only ended up in the underworld because of his library contract, and even then, Kady definitely hasn't given up on rescuing him, it's just no one else gives a fuck.

At the very least I'd expect Alice to mount an expedition to the afterlife to rescue his soul, since Quentin literally did the same for her when the nephilim fixing spell required reuniting her soul with her shade.

I'd also expect Quentin to not immediately be ready to move on, like this guy especially has every reason to refuse to accept his circumstances, to expect a resurrection and need tons of times to realize one isn't coming.

Like it's a fine character death and great scenes around it but given all the other crazy shit that happened in the series it just seems forced.

Yeah, it just fell flat for me for all those reasons. And I personally find it a worse change when all the others from the books were positive.

And now Elliot wants to ruin everything...

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    This show definitely still has its fastball. I love it so much. A bunch of stray observations:

Two episodes to tie off the end of the previous season's aftershocks seems about standard. "Tie off" being meant very loosely. Alice isn't going to be over Q anytime soon, but she confronted it. The gang is all back together in Fillory.

I like that they aren't making the magic spikes THE story. It's an interesting angle, but we've had so many "magic isn't right" seasons now, it doesn't need to be the main storyline.

Just purely for meta reasons, we all knew Fen and Josh wouldn't stay dead or at least stay dead in a way that kept them off-screen. They dug a *lot* of emotion out of their deaths anyway, though. The scene where Fen seems like she's there for comic relief and then suddenly it goes dark...oof.

With the mysterious page in Quinten's possessions, it looks like they're going to take another beloved book piece and bring it in but put their own spin on it, which has been a pretty universally good move from them every time they've done it. I am very excited to see where they go with that eventually. Though I'm not sure if I can think of anything else they haven't done that I'd like to see them do, now.

I thought that Clock Dwark asking if they brought him any food was a reference to Molecule Man in the newest Secret Wars series from a few years ago, and I am doubling down on that after this week's Professor Ex bit.

And it looks like it's Elliot's turn in the "Your Unresolved Issues Are Ruining Everything, You'll Have to Deal With Them Before The Season Is Over" chair, and I'm excited for that because 1) We didn't see much of him last season 2) he's the most interesting character 3) By far the hottest actor on a stupid-hot cast.

Ok so... I can be Ok with Josh coming back.

But please please no more Josh and Margo. Do something to end that. Please.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Julia not just murdering Alice for her bullshit in his episode is wrong.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Man, so many feels this episode.

Yep.

They got me all teary eyed again.

I don't think another show has managed to so successfully hit my feels this much.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Everytime they bring up that mosaic time travel bit, it reminds me that neither Eliot or Quentin ever thought to actually go and find their descendants. Just seemed weird to me; after they realized they had some of those memories backs, you'd think going to find your kids would be one of the things you'd do.

Lorek wrote: »
    Everytime they bring up that mosaic time travel bit, it reminds me that neither Eliot or Quentin ever thought to actually go and find their descendants. Just seemed weird to me; after they realized they had some of those memories backs, you'd think going to find your kids would be one of the things you'd do.

Wasn't that a different timeline? So they wouldn't exist.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular

Was it? I guess that explains it.. I just thought it was regular time travel shenanigans and they went back in time.

Was it? I guess that explains it.. I just thought it was regular time travel shenanigans and they went back in time.

They did, but then that timeline got erased because ... something someone else did, I can't remember the exact details. At first they didn't remember any of it, but then they got flashes of the memory back.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Great coda for the two characters most invested in you know who, even though referencing the Mosaic was a little bit of a writerly emotional shoulders of giants cheat (considering that was pretty much the best written episode of this whole damn show whether or not your down for that particular slash fiction). I'm not particularly sold on the whole Dark King character, but I'm sure there's a lot more to that story yet to come.

I really thought
    Alice and Elliot were going to jump in and try to find him

I just really love who they write this team like a power rangers for trauma - each one of them deals with their own pain in a slightly different way that is completely organic, and you can definitely identify and invest in one or more of them so fully.

I honestly don't know how SyFy hasn't canceled this yet.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

They did, but then that timeline got erased because ... something someone else did, I can't remember the exact details. At first they didn't remember any of it, but then they got flashes of the memory back.
    Quentin gave the key to Jane Chatwin. Then, because Jane was still alive in the present, Margo got the key's location from her and stopped Quentin and Eliot from ever going into the past.

Which... should've meant that Jane wouldn't have they key but... MAGIC!

RT800 on
    I really liked that, even if it ended up having a twist at the end, they gave Eliot a romantic scene with a male character that wasn't played for "look what a swishy drunken hedonist I am!" laughs. He needed that as a character, and he deserved it.

I liked this episode fine. I didn't love it as much as the actors gushed about it on social media beforehand. It was the kind of episode actors love because they get to make lots of different serious actor faces. Alice's whole "What, was I supposed to demand he only love me? I loved how complicated he was" rings a little false in light of her reaction to Quinten's cheating, as the episode mentioned (and yes, I know cheating isn't the same as being OK with someone loving someone else). Maybe I'm just conflating book Alice with show Alice too much.

I'm 100% not here for "who is the dark king" speculation (just me, personally. Anyone else is of course free to speculate away). I would love it if he was just some random dude who popped up because sometimes random dudes pop up. Not everything has to be a mystery that can be solved by internet theorizing.

I thought the Fen/Margo storyline was better, or at least I enjoyed it more. Fen starting to scratch her neck and the sudden realization of what that meant was pretty funny. The scene in the cages at the end was great.

Speaking of great actor faces, Alice's eyebrow raise when Eliot said he almost fucked the Dark King had me cracking up.

I forgot how amusing I found.
    the Binder

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I forgot how amusing I found.
    the Binder
    Only because

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Episode 5
    That was pretty entertaining. I enjoyed the meth muffin joke quite a bit. I was ready for the moon plot to stretch over a couple episodes and was surprised how quickly it moved along.

Based on last couple of episodes, I have this completely unrealistic pipe dream where they turn this into a prequel for a Broken Earth adapation.

Episode 5
    I actually cackled when Marina showed up and then they broke the moon

• swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Episode 6 was an awesome follow-up to E05. I later realized it was a double-episode but enjoyed watching them separately with a little space in between.
    Even though this is not their first (or maybe even second or third) time loop episode, I thought it was done really well. The scene with the horamancer felt so promising...and boom. The Elliot/Josh scene was really well done and I am so glad to see more of Elliot this season. The whales were hilarious. I am starting to wonder if this last Fillory plot is going to loop back in the few book threads that haven't been used yet

With no renewal news yet it is starting to seem like we may be moving towards a conclusion.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    The ratings seem to be dipping, so I'm thinking this may not get renewed. I'm glad they released 5 and 6 together, having to wait would've sucked hard.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Penny summed it up

Saving the world is getting old, but without it we just get relationship drama and I’m with the dragons- sick of millennials

I'm pretty sure it's obvious to everyone that
    They shouldn't have killed Seb and they are, in fact, the "invaders from another world" who bring about the apocalypse." One of those "heroes hear the prophecy, try to stop it, accidentally make it come true" deals.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Newest Episode spoilers
    Hah! I said to myself when Julia was wearing that big puffy coat that I wonder if the actress is pregnant and then almost immediately after she has the scene with Fen and I bust out laughing. Big jackets and sudden additions of large purses strikes again!

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Looks like that's a wrap folks. This will be the final season, last episode airs in April. Sad to see it go and I hope the writers can tie it all up.

https://www.tvinsider.com/919354/the-magicians-ending-season-5-reason-response/