As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Why did carrion empire have to be so limited? I want that warlock.

I finished building the first 40 plague monks. Working on the ones with staves now.

I decided to do all the cloth and armor in fluorescent colors with highlights using complimentary fluorescent colors and then I'm gonna do all the metal bits and weapons in color shift paints. This should look interesting.

they still have not released an archregent model outside of carrion empire

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't get why GW drags their feet in bringing out the pieces of the boxed games. As there is a demand for it why not sell it?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I don't get why GW drags their feet in bringing out the pieces of the boxed games. As there is a demand for it why not sell it?

2f0.png

PiptheFair wrote: »

2f0.png

I feel there is more to it than stocks and shareholders

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Timed exclusivity to get people to drop $100+ to buy the latest and greatest. It also gets them the start of a faction they might not otherwise be interested in and could potentially buy more into in the future.

It also results in fewer SKUs to track, store, and shelve.

Lots of reasons.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Productive capacity isn't unlimited either

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Flipping through warscrolls and army lists, I actually have enough 40k daemon models to run a small Tzeentch or Slaanesh army already, so that's cool.

Are tzaangor based Beasts of Chaos armies at all worth playing? I like the idea of being able to expand my Thousand Sons army while building an AoS army.

Barring that I'm probably gonna buy some Nighthaunts. Looking more closely at the individual models they seem very airbrush friendly.

You said you had tzeentch daemons? Well Tzaangors also work in the Tzeentch army not just beasts of chaos. So you have a larger tzeentch army than you thought.

In AoS the mono God armies aren't just daemons (excepting Slaanesh?). They include mortals that worship said God and the daemons in a mixed army

I took a look at the warscrolls online and I've actually got a solid base for all of the daemon armies as it turns out.... Sadly Slaanesh doesn't have any mortal worshippers. I really don't like the daemonette models. They're so fiddly and I've broken arms off way too many just playing with them.

I could reasonably field a tzeentch or nurgle army right now if I bought another box or two of troops/battleline models, so that's pretty cool.

Echo wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Perusing various rulesets and warscrolls…. Summoning units in AOS, for a lot of armies, just requires spending points (ie: corruption pts for maggotkin), having room in your roster, and not a dice roll.

The unit you're summoning still needs to be within the points available for your roster though, correct? So I can deploy 1700 points worth of models and keep 300 in reserve and summon whatever I have points for without those models being predetermined in my army list?

Can you summon units back to the table that have been destroyed? I assume no? Like a great unclean one dying doesn't free up his point cost in my roster to summon a new one. I would still only have 300 points worth of room to summon more stuff per the above example?

You’re thinking of 40k.

Summoned units in AoS don’t take up any points at all. Yes this does mean that you can being a 2k army, then summon in 500 points more for a 2500point army on the table.

This is a balanced out by summoning being much more complicated in AoS, normally being a reward for playing in a particular way.

Edit: This means often your opponent can play around your summoning, shutting it off.

A good example is gloomspites. They can use the Loonshrine to summon killed units of Stabbas and shootas back onto the table (at half strength). You can prevent this by simply not killing the units. Five goblins left in the squad? You’re better of just retreating and leaving them be.

That's amazing!

The more I read about AoS, the more I want the AoS rules team to balance 40k

The chaos factions have appropriately flavorful rules. Khorne gets summoning points when a unit dies (... I think, don't have that book), Tzeentch gets points when a spell is cast, no matter who casts it.

The more I look at stuff like that the more I like what I'm seeing with AOS. The Nurgle cycle of disease effect that changes per turn and gives different armywide buffs is super cool.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Flipping through warscrolls and army lists, I actually have enough 40k daemon models to run a small Tzeentch or Slaanesh army already, so that's cool.

Are tzaangor based Beasts of Chaos armies at all worth playing? I like the idea of being able to expand my Thousand Sons army while building an AoS army.

Barring that I'm probably gonna buy some Nighthaunts. Looking more closely at the individual models they seem very airbrush friendly.

You said you had tzeentch daemons? Well Tzaangors also work in the Tzeentch army not just beasts of chaos. So you have a larger tzeentch army than you thought.

In AoS the mono God armies aren't just daemons (excepting Slaanesh?). They include mortals that worship said God and the daemons in a mixed army

I took a look at the warscrolls online and I've actually got a solid base for all of the daemon armies as it turns out.... Sadly Slaanesh doesn't have any mortal worshippers. I really don't like the daemonette models. They're so fiddly and I've broken arms off way too many just playing with them.

I could reasonably field a tzeentch or nurgle army right now if I bought another box or two of troops/battleline models, so that's pretty cool.

Perusing various rulesets and warscrolls…. Summoning units in AOS, for a lot of armies, just requires spending points (ie: corruption pts for maggotkin), having room in your roster, and not a dice roll.

The unit you're summoning still needs to be within the points available for your roster though, correct? So I can deploy 1700 points worth of models and keep 300 in reserve and summon whatever I have points for without those models being predetermined in my army list?

Can you summon units back to the table that have been destroyed? I assume no? Like a great unclean one dying doesn't free up his point cost in my roster to summon a new one. I would still only have 300 points worth of room to summon more stuff per the above example?

You’re thinking of 40k.

Summoned units in AoS don’t take up any points at all. Yes this does mean that you can being a 2k army, then summon in 500 points more for a 2500point army on the table.

This is a balanced out by summoning being much more complicated in AoS, normally being a reward for playing in a particular way.

Edit: This means often your opponent can play around your summoning, shutting it off.

A good example is gloomspites. They can use the Loonshrine to summon killed units of Stabbas and shootas back onto the table (at half strength). You can prevent this by simply not killing the units. Five goblins left in the squad? You’re better of just retreating and leaving them be.

That's amazing!

The chaos factions have appropriately flavorful rules. Khorne gets summoning points when a unit dies (... I think, don't have that book), Tzeentch gets points when a spell is cast, no matter who casts it.

The more I look at stuff like that the more I like what I'm seeing with AOS. The Nurgle cycle of disease effect that changes per turn and gives different armywide buffs is super cool.

Nurgle is real cool in AoS. Also their unique models are awesome and filled with conversion potential.

For slaanesh I agree with you on daemonettes. I hate the models so much. But you can use mortal slaves of darkness if you need to for battle lines instead.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »

You’re thinking of 40k.

That's amazing!

Nurgle is real cool in AoS. Also their unique models are awesome and filled with conversion potential.

For slaanesh I agree with you on daemonettes. I hate the models so much. But you can use mortal slaves of darkness if you need to for battle lines instead.

Doing that you lose some of the warscroll battalion perks though, right?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Chaos Warriors and more importantly Marauders get the exploding 6s to attack which is basically what you want anyway.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    This might be a quick and easy option then while I pick a full army to build into.

...I've got a buttload of daemons...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Mazzyx wrote: »

You’re thinking of 40k.

That's amazing!

Doing that you lose some of the warscroll battalion perks though, right?

You lose access to the non God specific slaves to darkness warscroll batallion but they aren't allies they count fully as part of that Gods armies. Also you don't get the slaves to darkness allegiance abilities they instead get that of the God's army.

TheGerbil on
    edited January 2020
    I just added AoS to battlescribe... Without buying any new models I've already got 1400 points of Slaanesh

This is sweet.

I might grab a couple of boxes of warriors or marauders on payday to flesh out that battleline section.

I've heard my Keeper of Secrets is way better in AoS than 40k too, so that's gonna be cool.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I just added AoS to battlescribe... Without buying any new models I've already got 1400 points of Slaanesh

This is sweet.

I might grab a couple of boxes of warriors or marauders on payday to flesh out that battleline section.

I've heard my Keeper of Secrets is way better in AoS than 40k too, so that's gonna be cool.

A quick thing, I know BattleScribe is the norm for 40k but the AoS app has an army builder you can subscribe to that is honestly, way easier than BattleScribe imo.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    A quick thing, I know BattleScribe is the norm for 40k but the AoS app has an army builder you can subscribe to that is honestly, way easier than BattleScribe imo.

I use Warscroll Builder to make a list and AoS Reminders to make a list of all the shit I can do in each phase.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

I use Warscroll Builder to make a list and AoS Reminders to make a list of all the shit I can do in each phase.

AoS reminders rules.

Almost like having free rules means people are more willing to create good community tools. Weird huh?

This is sweet.

Awesome, I'll check these out.

Fiddling around in battlescribe it doesn't seem to have any way to link in warscroll battalions, so that's annoying.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

The warscroll builder is so confusing to me.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I've been saying since the arrival of 8th edition 40k (probably before even) that AoS is the better game and that 40k should have borrowed more from it.

Though it seems like every year they add more book-keepy shit to it that I could do without.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    I've been saying since the arrival of 8th edition 40k (probably before even) that AoS is the better game and that 40k should have borrowed more from it.

Though it seems like every year they add more book-keepy shit to it that I could do without.

I agree AoS is the first real games I have played of Warhammer and the more I do it I see the glaring faults of 40k
    This is why I don't think it's going to be 9th but a reboot later this year like Soul wars was for AoS

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'd rather 40k and Age of Sigmar remain distinct from one another. There are a lot of things that I think AOS truly does better than 40k, but I don't want 40k to just turn into AOS with guns.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'd rather 40k and Age of Sigmar remain distinct from one another. There are a lot of things that I think AOS truly does better than 40k, but I don't want 40k to just turn into AOS with guns.

Nobody's really arguing for AoS w/Guns 40k, but rather that they really should tighten up 40k because it's a goddamn mess and AoS has more of its shit together. I say that as someone who tried real hard to hang onto the ledge 40k and they just kept stomping on my fingers.

edited January 2020

I agree AoS is the first real games I have played of Warhammer and the more I do it I see the glaring faults of 40k
    This is why I don't think it's going to be 9th but a reboot later this year like Soul wars was for AoS

Soul wars wasn't a reboot. It was simply AoS 2.0.

Also 40k could go more its own direction but if anything it should take from Apocalypse. Rolling saves at the end of the round, both people getting to shoot before models are removed.

In essence tone down the fucking alpha strike.

TheGerbil on
    Can I take a plague furnace and a screaming bell together?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I just threw together a quick slaanesh list and fired it into AoS reminders to see how it works.

I would absolutely kill for something like this for 40k. What a fantastic resource.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    How does this AoS warscroll builder work? I'm trying to make a pestilens setup with 80 plague monks broken up in one groups, a plague furnace, and a verminlord and I added the congregation of filth but it wont make the plague monks a battle line unit. I also made the plague furnace my general.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

It's a mystery to me why the new Tzeentch book didnt update/trim down the Tzaangor warscroll. That thing is a mess, you need a flow chart to figure out what dice you're rolling for each weapon combination in the unit.
    I've heard the Kharadron Overlords book is similar, in that theres a bunch of fiddly rules and book keeping.

I agree with AoS being more fun than 40k tho. For me the main sticking point is army lists. All the granularity in 40k, oh can i afford this plasma pistol or do i need one extra space marine scout etc, combined with the min maxing of battalions and various subfactions and CP farming really kills so much of my desire to play.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Dayspring wrote: »

It's a mystery to me why the new Tzeentch book didnt update/trim down the Tzaangor warscroll. That thing is a mess, you need a flow chart to figure out what dice you're rolling for each weapon combination in the unit.
    I've heard the Kharadron Overlords book is similar, in that theres a bunch of fiddly rules and book keeping.

I agree with AoS being more fun than 40k tho. For me the main sticking point is army lists. All the granularity in 40k, oh can i afford this plasma pistol or do i need one extra space marine scout etc, combined with the min maxing of battalions and various subfactions and CP farming really kills so much of my desire to play.

I briefly played deathwatch in 40k. Weapon selection per squad and modelling completely turned me off of that entire army.

I love the idea of having a squad of chaos marauders that have two weapon choices and a set cost.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited January 2020

I briefly played deathwatch in 40k. Weapon selection per squad and modelling completely turned me off of that entire army.

I love the idea of having a squad of chaos marauders that have two weapon choices and a set cost.

Don't forget in AoS for a decent number of unit (S2D especially) the two choices are binary. Your squad is ALL one or ALL the other.

TheGerbil on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I just threw together a quick slaanesh list and fired it into AoS reminders to see how it works.

I would absolutely kill for something like this for 40k. What a fantastic resource.

I play CSM. My god damn army takes 4 books to play now.

My AoS army of Slaves to Darkness takes my phone.

That's it. Just the app. Its super easy and makes sense.

I mean I love 40k more than AoS. Its my first true table top love. But I am looking forward to the 9th rules bloat reset. I also feel it will be more like AoS 2.0 anyway. A clean up and slimming of some reals. Adding a few things. I hope they borrow a few things like command points per turn like AoS and Kill Team. I think a few things from Apoc. Like maybe casualties are removed at the end of a phase and the phase is alternating or something.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I really love warscroll builder, but it can sometimes have bugs/not account for things correctly/allow you to do illegal things/not track battlelines correctly. It's at an acceptable level for a free tool though.

steam_sig.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

Yup, especially as I've been playing since like RT era so whats good/bad changes along with what is even legal/illegal in terms of loadouts.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Might end up being able to buy the Skaven half of carrion empire all on sprue for $120.

Might end up being able to buy the Skaven half of carrion empire all on sprue for $120.

That's pretty good. I'd jump on that. I really want a warlock bombardier.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    xJNct8J.jpg

Don't mind if I doooooo

I've wanted to pick these dudes up for a while, but they go for like $80 NIB. GW trying to turn Underworlds into a super competitive TCG and discontinuing old warbands really chapped my ass.

That's pretty good. I'd jump on that. I really want a warlock bombardier.

That's the plan. Waiting on pictures at the moment.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm pretty excited about the Warcry announcements on the community page.

Definitely grabbing the monsters, bonereaper cards, probably grabbing the Gitz box. The forest terrain looks kind of lame IMO.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It's just existing reboxed trees. My Sylvaneth buddy might be interested if the price is good.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Definitely grabbing the monsters, bonereaper cards, probably grabbing the Gitz box. The forest terrain looks kind of lame IMO.

Link? I dont see anything

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Link? I dont see anything

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/19/pre-order-preview-warcry-necromunda-middle-earth/

@Styrofoam Sammich

This discussion has been closed.