As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    By the way, just thought I'd mention in case anybody was really wanting them...

MW5 editor tools have just been released today.

So what can you edit with it?

Good question...installing now. Was monster hunting earlier and didn't download the editor.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Reportedly almost everything. I have not downloaded it but accounts put it more or less at "Full MW5 Unreal Engine Developer Tools"

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »

Reportedly almost everything. I have not downloaded it but accounts put it more or less at "Full MW5 Unreal Engine Developer Tools"

This sounds about right. I've never used Unreal Editor before, so my eyes landed on the UI, saw folders, clicked a few things, eyes glazed over, and humbly closed the editor down. If you're familiar with using the Unreal Editor, you'll probably have a better idea of what can be done with it. For me, the most I could understand was tweaking default mech loadouts, changing what weapons are classified as (want a single slot gauss rifle that fits in a small ballistic slot? You can make that change!), and I saw a few empty asset folders labeled "Nightgyr," "Piranha," and "Fafnir."

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Hmm.... wonder if they're going the Bethesda route with MW5.

5gsowHm.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    There is very likely a Clan DLC planned. The plot of the game and the "map end date" make it pretty clear this is where they're going (edit: but that might get shelved if sales aren't good enough)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    There is very likely a Clan DLC planned. The plot of the game and the "map end date" make it pretty clear this is where they're going (edit: but that might get shelved if sales aren't good enough)

I seem to recall a statement that if MW5 sales aren't good enough PGI might get shelved.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know what, here is as good a place as any for this.

I embarked on a quest some time ago to really pin down stable environments for all my games across the 30 years I've been pc gaming to work properly. Building a new PC with Windows 10 presented some set backs on that quest. Still, between a combination of VMs and emulators, I just about have it nailed.

For games from roughly 1995 to 1999, I've found 86Box is the best option. Emulates up to a P233 mmx with a Voodoo2 quite comfortably on my machine at least. That gets you Glide and DirectX up through 7 or 8. After that you're better off running WindowsXP in VirtualBox since it's guest addition supports DirectX 8 and 9, but not earlier.

So I'm trying to get Heavy Gear and Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries to run in 86Box with Win98se installed. Having my X52 plugged in at all causes it to immediately crash. And when I use my Logitech joystick, it can't read the throttle!

But you know what, 86Box is open source, and I'm the enterprising sort.

Long story short, the X52 had such a preposterous number of buttons it was overflowing the memory they had allocated for up to 32 buttons. And as for the throttle on the Logitech, it was a DirectInput slider, not an axis. 86Box would list sliders as axis that could be read, and then do precisely fuck all with them. So I fix those issues. Create new mappings for sliders, expose them in the UI.

But there is another problem. 86Box didn't have a joystick emulated that had 4 axis (X, Y, Z Twist and Throttle). The closest it gets is emulating a CH Flightstick Pro with 3 axis. Not too much of a problem. Win98se seems to be able to wing it with a generic joystick with 4 axis and 4 buttons. Just need to create a new emulation option with 4 axis...

Oh, what's this? It's hardcoded that there are only 7 emulated joysticks, in about a dozen places? WIthout referencing a const or a define or anything? Just checking if joystick_type is or isn't 7? Well that caused oodles of problems, but none the less I persevered. And created a define for it while I was at it.

I now have Heavy Gear running in 86Box & Win98se detecting all 4 axis of the joystick. Joy2key running outside the emulator can handle mapping the preposterous number of buttons.

Now I just have to fix all the whitespace Visual Studio Code mangled, and submit the pull request to 86Box and see if they want my changes. All in all took me about 2 days.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Huh, I'd never even heard of 86Box, that's good to know.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

I embarked on a quest some time ago to really pin down stable environments for all my games across the 30 years I've been pc gaming to work properly. Building a new PC with Windows 10 presented some set backs on that quest. Still, between a combination of VMs and emulators, I just about have it nailed.

For games from roughly 1995 to 1999, I've found 86Box is the best option. Emulates up to a P233 mmx with a Voodoo2 quite comfortably on my machine at least. That gets you Glide and DirectX up through 7 or 8. After that you're better off running WindowsXP in VirtualBox since it's guest addition supports DirectX 8 and 9, but not earlier.

So I'm trying to get Heavy Gear and Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries to run in 86Box with Win98se installed. Having my X52 plugged in at all causes it to immediately crash. And when I use my Logitech joystick, it can't read the throttle!

Long story short, the X52 had such a preposterous number of buttons it was overflowing the memory they had allocated for up to 32 buttons. And as for the throttle on the Logitech, it was a DirectInput slider, not an axis. 86Box would list sliders as axis that could be read, and then do precisely fuck all with them. So I fix those issues. Create new mappings for sliders, expose them in the UI.

But there is another problem. 86Box didn't have a joystick emulated that had 4 axis (X, Y, Z Twist and Throttle). The closest it gets is emulating a CH Flightstick Pro with 3 axis. Not too much of a problem. Win98se seems to be able to wing it with a generic joystick with 4 axis and 4 buttons. Just need to create a new emulation option with 4 axis...

Oh, what's this? It's hardcoded that there are only 7 emulated joysticks, in about a dozen places? WIthout referencing a const or a define or anything? Just checking if joystick_type is or isn't 7? Well that caused oodles of problems, but none the less I persevered. And created a define for it while I was at it.

I now have Heavy Gear running in 86Box & Win98se detecting all 4 axis of the joystick. Joy2key running outside the emulator can handle mapping the preposterous number of buttons.

Now I just have to fix all the whitespace Visual Studio Code mangled, and submit the pull request to 86Box and see if they want my changes. All in all took me about 2 days.

If they don't accept your pull request could I request a copy? I've got the same stick :D

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Hey hey... MWO: It is Oosik Night.

I plan on trying out my new Hunchback (after I get it built) and other shenanigans.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

If they don't accept your pull request could I request a copy? I've got the same stick :D

Part of getting the pull request set up was forking their repository, so you can always clone my fork and build that if they don't accept it.

It's always possible the things I did had catastrophic unintended consequences that breaks something in the plethora of systems 86Box emulates. I'm using it for Win9x gaming, but people use it for all sorts of esoteric computers. I mean seriously, look at the list of systems it emulates.

But I'm preeeeetty sure it's ok? I mostly edited how they handled DirectInput mapping the input, the UI for configuring the mappings, and lastely saving and restoring the mappings in the config file. Although there were a dozen files with those joystick_type checks I mentioned.

Edit: And the pull request is sent. Fingers crossed. Curious to see how long it takes to make it to release if accepted.

Edit2: My joystick work was accepted. So I guess that means it'll show up in 86Box's nightly builds if you use those.

Namrok on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    @Namrok

Buddy, you're doing the Lord's Work here. Fucking keep at it, but as far as I'm concerned you're already my hero.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    @TOGSolid @Nobody OOSIK NIGHT IS A GO! Erl and I are in trying to see if we can get a group.

oosik_betsuni.png
    @Nobody WE SAW YOU!!!

Well it was fun tonight. Thanks for the runs @Erlkönig @TOGSolid . Ended up having some synch drops then desynch drops.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Heh, sorry, was trying to get some mechs leveled up real quick and, well, that was my third loss in a row so I decided tonight was not a good night for MWO.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Battletech PC

OK give me the idiot's guide to using ECM and that Flashpoint for the Raven

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Nobody wrote: »
    Heh, sorry, was trying to get some mechs leveled up real quick and, well, that was my third loss in a row so I decided tonight was not a good night for MWO.

Bummer. Hopefully you'll be able to play next weekend. I'd love to try a 2v2 S7 match.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2020

Doing God's work.

edit: did not se Nips' post before posting this. :rotate:

Echo on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Battletech PC

Units inside the ECM bubble gain 1 stealth charge (blue eye icon). The Raven gets 1 bonus charge. Units inside the bubble are immune to indirect LRM fire and have +4 defense against direct-fire missiles whether they have stealth charges or not. Units with a stealth charge cannot be targeted so cannot be shot with any weapons. Sensor lock removes both the missile protection and all stealth charges from the unit. Any enemy unit that enters the bubble removes 1 stealth charge from all units. Firing a weapon or activating an ability removes 1 stealth charge from that unit. Reserve down to try to get the enemies to waste their turn since they can't target you, allowing you to fire late in the turn, which removes your stealth, but immediately gain back that stealth charge at the start of the next turn.

The enemies in that mission are deliberatly missile heavy. Keep the buildings between you and them, the base turrets too. Let them come to you, leaving the base + turrets for last and you will negate most of their firepower. Prioritize any enemy that gets close enough to enter the bubble. Ignore anything far away, unless you can kill it in the last phase of the turn, since as long as you are in the bubble with stealth charges, you cannot be shot at.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Battletech PC

Units inside the ECM bubble gain 1 stealth charge (blue eye icon). The Raven gets 1 bonus charge. Units inside the bubble are immune to indirect LRM fire and have +4 defense against direct-fire missiles whether they have stealth charges or not. Units with a stealth charge cannot be targeted so cannot be shot with any weapons. Sensor lock removes both the missile protection and all stealth charges from the unit. Any enemy unit that enters the bubble removes 1 stealth charge from all units. Firing a weapon or activating an ability removes 1 stealth charge from that unit. Reserve down to try to get the enemies to waste their turn since they can't target you, allowing you to fire late in the turn, which removes your stealth, but immediately gain back that stealth charge at the start of the next turn.

The enemies in that mission are deliberatly missile heavy. Keep the buildings between you and them, the base turrets too. Let them come to you, leaving the base + turrets for last and you will negate most of their firepower. Prioritize any enemy that gets close enough to enter the bubble. Ignore anything far away, unless you can kill it in the last phase of the turn, since as long as you are in the bubble with stealth charges, you cannot be shot at.

Better way of doing that mission is to first go left and then attack the base from the side. Only kill any LRM carriers you can easily see and the nearest two(?) turrets, then rush in with the Javelin, destroy the buildings and run away. You can eject anybody left behind once you have some mechs in the evac point circle. I've done the stupid mission maybe 4-5 times now and this is by far the fastest and least painful method. Killing enemy Trebuchets and Locusts with the crappy stock loadout mechs is just pointless self-flagellation.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    How many Mechs can you have out of cold storage in MW5? I want to take out a cold storage mech but I can't figure out how.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    How many Mechs can you have out of cold storage in MW5? I want to take out a cold storage mech but I can't figure out how.

You can only have 12 mechs out and active at any one time.

HBS Battletech 1.9 patch news.

Points 2-4 don't matter much to me because I'm playing BEX, but 1 would be nice for sure.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I dunno, I think item #2 (an option to tone down the shops) will go quite nicely with my OILER Sortie Beta run in a couple months. Unless I just decide to go whole hog on mods; haven't decided yet.

Has anyone in the modding scene figured out how to implement Flashpoints, and put out any new ones? I'd expect the writing would be terribad, but I'd be game anyway.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »
    I dunno, I think item #2 (an option to tone down the shops) will go quite nicely with my OILER Sortie Beta run in a couple months. Unless I just decide to go whole hog on mods; haven't decided yet.

Has anyone in the modding scene figured out how to implement Flashpoints, and put out any new ones? I'd expect the writing would be terribad, but I'd be game anyway.

BEX includes one modder made FP but since it's 5 skulls I've never bothered with it as I find the very late game stuff tedious. There might be more on Nexus but I guess it's not super easy to make them or we'd be drowning in tons of bad ones and a few good ones already.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Mirkel wrote: »

Points 2-4 don't matter much to me because I'm playing BEX, but 1 would be nice for sure.

Ugh...I should have got that "catch em all" achievement early on. They're putting more variants in again.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can fix convoy AI, but I'm not all that hopeful. If they do manage to do it, man that would make convoy missions so less dangerous for Ironman runs.

Dark_Side on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »

Ugh...I should have got that "catch em all" achievement early on. They're putting more variants in again.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can fix convoy AI, but I'm not all that hopeful. If they do manage to do it, man that would make convoy missions so less dangerous for Ironman runs.

That achievement is just by chassis, not by variant, and only includes the 36 at launch.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Hooray!

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kinda sucks though, doubles still take up 2 slots, I think just the engine slots treat it as 1 slot.

BT: Booted it up and played a mission after getting the Argo. Then forgot how to play the game and accidentally bought 1 piece of an Awesome in the shop thinking it was a whole mech. Oh well, at least I'm 1/3 to an Awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    BT: Booted it up and played a mission after getting the Argo. Then forgot how to play the game and accidentally bought 1 piece of an Awesome in the shop thinking it was a whole mech. Oh well, at least I'm 1/3 to an Awesome.

Aw.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Don't worry, we've got you covered.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Mechwarrior 5 campaign beaten. It wasn't perfect but it was still fun enough.

I wish finding the 'rare' weapons wasn't so RNG based. It'd be so much nicer to not have to husband Gauss rifles and the like, especially considering there's no great slot replacement for it vs how you can just run regular PPCs if you really have to if you lose all your ERs. Similarly losing your UAC/5s is also a bit of a setback (also not a fan at all of the change for those to burst fire, it makes the long range fire on those even more inaccurate vs MWO).

The special campaign mech is a joy, though. I headcapped like 6 of those slow ass assaults on Crucible with it, though I'm also ashamed to admit I lost the arms in that last rush just from all the incoming fire. Got one Gauss back from taking a headcapped Highlander as the prize, though, so it could be worse.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Mechwarrior 5 campaign beaten. It wasn't perfect but it was still fun enough.

I wish finding the 'rare' weapons wasn't so RNG based. It'd be so much nicer to not have to husband Gauss rifles and the like, especially considering there's no great slot replacement for it vs how you can just run regular PPCs if you really have to if you lose all your ERs. Similarly losing your UAC/5s is also a bit of a setback (also not a fan at all of the change for those to burst fire, it makes the long range fire on those even more inaccurate vs MWO).

The special campaign mech is a joy, though. I headcapped like 6 of those slow ass assaults on Crucible with it, though I'm also ashamed to admit I lost the arms in that last rush just from all the incoming fire. Got one Gauss back from taking a headcapped Highlander as the prize, though, so it could be worse.

Thankfully, if you lose all gauss rifles, it still works real well as a brawler with twin burst-fire AC20s.

Took that out in Instant Action during the beta to see how it would work using 3015 tech, and was plenty happy with it with that loadout.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's pretty fantastic though to pop off a Gauss rifle shot and detonate a whole rack of ammo, through full armor.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    @Nips there's a thread in the Battletech forums at Paradox from the devs bout making Flashpoints

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/flashpoint-authors-guide.1153590/

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Going by the quality of the backer bios the last thing I want the community making is story heavy flashpoints!

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Going by the quality of the backer bios the last thing I want the community making is story heavy flashpoints!

Going to be so many honorable and just and perfect displaced nobles needing help getting their throne back.

edit- Bonus points if they're implied Camerons.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I feel like the more interesting tack would be a noble that has no pretenses about how these things impact the ordinary citizen, and chooses to cut their losses and try to set their house up somewhere else where they can pick their enemies, rather than have to deal with inherited feuds. Basically hiring mercs to protect them while they roll up on some unaffiliated periphery world, offering a big investment into infrastructure & local business in return for bending the knee.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Going to be so many honorable and just and perfect displaced nobles needing help getting their throne back.

edit- Bonus points if they're implied Camerons.

Also see;

Totally NOT Comstar/major house intelligence operative

I've been trying the trick to get the unique mech modules on other mechs and it is hilariously broken and I am loving it.

Also Mission Commander and Galaxy at War were updated, and its reinvigorated the game for me. Combine with bigger drops and I have a reason to keep lighter mechs into late game.