As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

KRANCH [bad food]

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So I just did a Google maps search for sushi places in my neighborhood, and one of the results was the German-ass beer hall that has a bratwurst board instead of a daily specials board.

I love and respect German cuisine, but I do not think there is a strong tradition of German sushi. And if there is, I don't think I want any.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there's a german bar in the next neighborhood up from mine that I really like and is one of the sources of my resentment over the fact that I can't afford to eat out more often

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    There was a sushi place across the street from me that was really good; one of those conveyor belt places.
    The place is still there, they're just not nearly as good anymore. Not destroying my butt bad, just not as tasty.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    So I just did a Google maps search for sushi places in my neighborhood, and one of the results was the German-ass beer hall that has a bratwurst board instead of a daily specials board.

I love and respect German cuisine, but I do not think there is a strong tradition of German sushi. And if there is, I don't think I want any.

well, they did have that whole Axis thing going for a few years...

(I'll see myself out.)

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

I mean that's a strong play by Google. Sushi is old news, beir and sausage is the new hotness.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    y'all, jollibee is opening a new branch at 9am today right down the road from me

I doubt I'll be able to get in, but hell yeah always wanted some chickenjoy and mango pie

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Suddenly remembered that I poured myself a cup of hot apple cider an hour ago, then just set it down on the counter in the kitchen and wandered off, caught up in some ciderless train of thought.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    y'all, jollibee is opening a new branch at 9am today right down the road from me

I doubt I'll be able to get in, but hell yeah always wanted some chickenjoy and mango pie

They opened one near me and I went there with some friends last night. Chicken was alright better then KFC but Popeye's still best fast food fried chicken, Palabok was the best side, spaghetti was awful but everyone went back for seconds and couldn't explain why, burger steak was bland and rubber, mango pie had more flavor then expected and was surprisingly good. We could be persuaded to go back.

steam_sig.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

They opened one near me and I went there with some friends last night. Chicken was alright better then KFC but Popeye's still best fast food fried chicken, Palabok was the best side, spaghetti was awful but everyone went back for seconds and couldn't explain why, burger steak was bland and rubber, mango pie had more flavor then expected and was surprisingly good. We could be persuaded to go back.

Jollibee has a ton of nostalgia value for people who grew up with it, and very little value for anyone else. I'm not sure I would even rate the chicken higher than KFC. If so, by a glancingly small amount. Everything else is pretty meh aside from the mango pie.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, there's peperony and chease sushi now?

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Is chease what you get from malk?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

So, it's cheese but with extra eldritch madness?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »

So, it's cheese but with extra eldritch madness?

And vitamin R.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Badfood thread

I tried the vegan chicken burger from KFC

Karl's review.

Eh 6/10

The KFC spice coating is on point. The issue is the Quorn fillet itself. It's a bit dry for my liking and the taste of the Quorn just isn't as nice as chicken.

Surprisingly, the vegan mayo is a lot nicer than normal mayo to me. Maybe they flavoured it with something.

Karl's tips to make the vegan chicken burger nicer:
    1. Add some vegan cheese
    2. maybe make the mayo garlic flavour

The burger is 3.99 on its own and that's too much for not a great burger. Admittedly I think the normal fillet burger is overpriced too

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Sushi is for people who eat seafood.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Nah that’s sashimi

Sushi is a meat, egg or veggies on rice.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "sushi" as a word literally refers to the rice being used, it's a lot broader of a term than it gets used to mean in the States!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    "sushi" as a word literally refers to the rice being used, it's a lot broader of a term than it gets used to mean in the States!

sushi in fact is the rice

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    is sushi a dumpling?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2020
    is sushi a dumpling?

no it's a sandwich
    (nigiri is an open-faced sandwich)

tynic on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    How to make Sushi Sandwiches | Recipe | The Zen Kitchen | Onigirazu | Japanese Cooking 1:45
    https://youtu.be/Msb91hCyjBc

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Lightning round:
    yxgvo6av1ssa.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I don’t think the hot dog is as bad as the slice of american cheese lurking underneath.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

sushi in fact is the rice

That got me curious, so I pulled out the dictionaries.

according to Kenkyusha, sushi is written as either 寿司, 鮨, or 鮓. Cross-referencing this with Nelson, the latter two are based on 'fish', so at least in theory a fish ingredient seems likely.

the first means "rice mixed with other foods" (and my IME auto-suggestion prefers this rendering)

Wiki claims there is a "sushi rice"; they render this two ways. The first is 鮨飯 (sushi-meshi: 'delicious fish-rice', maybe?). The second is 酢飯 (sumeshi, pretty clearly 'vinegar rice'). There's a claim on the page that "sushi is an antiquated ... term for sour-tasting".

so at least with respect to Japanese, I'm not sure I can accept your interpretations.

edited to add context

Tamin on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Lightning round:
    yxgvo6av1ssa.png

ooohhh

so it's a calzone

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Lightning round:
    yxgvo6av1ssa.png

ooohhh

so it's a calzone

Calzones are dumplings now?!?

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Did someone say surprise hot dogs?
    qa9bo783oar1.jpg

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lightning round:
    yxgvo6av1ssa.png

I would totally eat these

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    They look very rude

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    is sushi a dumpling?

no it's a sandwich
    (nigiri is an open-faced sandwich)

open faced sandwiches are not sandwiches!!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Can it be:
    - held in one hand
    - eaten while gambling

This is the litmus test, I'm willing to hear arguments on either side.

I've never seen an open-faced sandwich that can be comfortably eaten in one hand (without folding it over, thus making it a hot dog). But it's entirely possible I've only encountered people who were far too ambitious in their choices of toppings.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    tynic wrote: »
    Can it be:
    - held in one hand
    - eaten while gambling

This is the litmus test, I'm willing to hear arguments on either side.

I feel like the more important test is "can it be eaten whilst gambolling", but am happy and willing to cede to your greater wealth of experience and superior judgement on this one.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I don’t think the hot dog is as bad as the slice of american cheese lurking underneath.

My dog would eat it as it is 3 of his fav things. Cheese, a hot dog and rice. He gets quite loud and mouthy when we have rice, it doesn't help I tease him. My brother does not want a repeat of the coconut chicken dinner {This was just after I got fired and the start of eating once per day so I ate over a cup of rice. My dog was very upset as he loudly whined, growled and barked in complaint for over an hour. He also beat up my brother while he slept
    This is one of the many reasons I call him a monster

I didn't invent the rules, take it up with Gerald, Earl of Sandwich

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I've never seen an open-faced sandwich that can be comfortably eaten in one hand (without folding it over, thus making it a hot dog). But it's entirely possible I've only encountered people who were far too ambitious in their choices of toppings.

You can absolutely eat a tuna melt one handed

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    5a7zep9y38y3.jpg

New profile pic incoming!

This discussion has been closed.