As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    My thought is
    they're all still in the bad place and "heaven" is going to be a huge let down for all the work they put in and they'll all be miserable for eternity. This was all one huge con, and the series ends with Michael laughing like he did at the end of season 1.

While this could check out in terms of the narrative, I just don't think Mike Schur does unhappy endings. It's just not his jam.

Yeah but the alternative is so predictable. He's got to throw us for a loop at least once, right?

Maybe this is the beginning of the Dark phase of his Showrunner career!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Schur's only really ended one show. And in it basically every character gets exactly what they wanted.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    My thoughts on some kind of twist...
    Michael joining them on the balloon doesn't seem right.

I think something has to happen to shift things again.

His solo conversations with Shawn and Vicki would indicate that if there is a ruse, it's not one they're in on.

I'm leaning towards Michael being an angel, or maybe even the guy in charge.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ok, Ted Danson as secret God is an acceptable choice for God.

Maybe even the secret best choice

Veevee on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Ok, Ted Danson as secret God is an acceptable choice for God.

Maybe even the secret best choice
    Ted Danson already more reliably brings goodness to the world than any current religions deities; as far as I'm concerned, he can have the title regardless of what happens on the show.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Fuck that Alexa joke got me good.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That episode wasn't bad, but after last week's it just had such comparatively low stakes. There's not really anywhere to go after "literally saving all humanity". The human stuff with Chidi and Eleanor was cute, and the Vicki stuff was charming, but it was just so low key.

Something is going to happen, not because the show needs a twist per se, but because there's currently no conflict to resolve. Everyone has what they want. The universe is saved. Now what?

I was surprised there wasn't a cliffhanger of any sort, because it seems like if you're a show that does cliffhangers, putting one before the series finale would be kind of a no-brainer.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    In the grand scheme of things, and low intelligence, high wisdom characters, makes me reevaluate Jason's process of throwing molotov cocktails at problems

steam_sig.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    That episode wasn't bad, but after last week's it just had such comparatively low stakes. There's not really anywhere to go after "literally saving all humanity". The human stuff with Chidi and Eleanor was cute, and the Vicki stuff was charming, but it was just so low key.

Something is going to happen, not because the show needs a twist per se, but because there's currently no conflict to resolve. Everyone has what they want. The universe is saved. Now what?

I was surprised there wasn't a cliffhanger of any sort, because it seems like if you're a show that does cliffhangers, putting one before the series finale would be kind of a no-brainer.

Reverse cliff hanger, everything is seemingly resolved, but we know for a fact it isn't, and we can't at all accept that's the end there. This is the good place equivalent of shooting a main character then fading to black as someone yells in a phone. Just so happens the character they shot was the core conflict of the show. Them floating off in the balloon was like watching a pool of blood starting to form under the character.

edited January 2020
    Something else nagging at me...
    Tahani flunked that scenario. I’m not sure if she’s ready for the Good Place yet.

Edit: about our 4 humans
    Chidi has been fully integrated with all of his reboots.
    Eleanor is aware of the multiple lives, but only got to see parts of them.
    Tahani and Jason don’t have any memories of anything pre-return to earth.

That sound right?

And one last thing about Michael
    That name seems like more of a clue when you see all the other Demon’s names: Shawn, Glenn, Trevor, Chet...

Doctor Detroit on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I trust Schur.

But
    What happened to Australian Neurologist Researcher and Gossip Toliet?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Something else nagging at me...
    Tahani flunked that scenario. I’m not sure if she’s ready for the Good Place yet.

Edit: about our 4 humans
    Chidi has been fully integrated with all of his reboots.
    Eleanor is aware of the multiple lives, but only got to see parts of them.
    Tahani and Jason don’t have any memories of anything pre-return to earth.

That sound right?

And one last thing about Michael
    That name seems like more of a clue when you see all the other Demon’s names: Shawn, Glenn, Trevor, Chet...

Regarding the 4 humans
    Micheal says he restored all their memories but Jason when the go to rescue Janet and the Jason gets his back

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    There's been a consistent theme over the last few episodes of
    people getting bored of things that once gave them happiness or feeling lost without a sense of purpose, which feels like really obvious foreshadowing for what's going to happen once the gang reach the Good Place even if there isn't some final act twist.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It should be noted that The Good Place has not seen a human born since the 15th century. Have they even kept up to date?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Burnage wrote: »
    There's been a consistent theme over the last few episodes of
    people getting bored of things that once gave them happiness or feeling lost without a sense of purpose, which feels like really obvious foreshadowing for what's going to happen once the gang reach the Good Place even if there isn't some final act twist.

On plausible happy twist endings
    Maybe saving the Universe over and over is their Good Place. They had what they wanted the whole time.

Tumin on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I forget, were the good place residents we've seen so far humans or were they supposed to be the counterparts to the demons?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    It should be noted that The Good Place has not seen a human born since the 15th century. Have they even kept up to date?

The good place people we've seen are modern

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I assumed those were architects or angels

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    I assumed those were architects or angels

That's what I mean. Theyre updated I assume the good olace itself would as well

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Oh, I see what you mean

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Theory
    The real Good Place is kind of boring, so Team Cockroach takes it upon themselves to improve it, which is surprisingly easy since everyone up there has no spine.

sig.gif
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    There's a clip floating around from the next episode.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Not gonna watch that, though I appreciate you putting it in a spoiler so that I can decide if I even want to see the freezeframe (I did)

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It basically looks like the first 30 seconds of the next episode, for those who are wondering whether to watch it. It's not terribly spoilery beyond that.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I get the feeling that the good place is probably not going to be all that great. It is the other extreme.

Krathoon on
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I get the feeling that the good place is probably not going to be all that great. It is the other extreme.

They were actively enjoying the frozen yogurt.

steam_sig.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Maybe the reason people aren't getting in is because they're actually rejecting The Good Place and opting to stay in Neighborhoods to help other people get to The Good Place, who in turn reject it and go on to help others. Michael is out of the loop because he's new and maybe the demons just didn't care because enough people were being funneled to the Bad Placr anyway. Our Good Place is using our personal skills to help others, even if it's not the place behind the pearly gates.

The first architect could be the first person who got into The Good Place and realized the dichotomy needed to change, and built a neighborhood to help people who got stuck. Then the first person who was made 'better' gets to Ths Good Place, decides that they want to help other people instead, too. And it spirals. That's why no one is getting in. Everyone who should stays behind to help others.

I can't imagine a scenario where I would want to go to The Good Place knowing that there were other people out there who just needed a little push.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    I wonder if second guessing your status in the good place is going to be its own form of torture and they will never trust it.

I think there needs to be a breakdown of how the system got put into place, because both sides seem to think it would be alright if they took everyone. It's just that that good place is such pushovers that noone going there must be how things actually are.

steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I think the answer to your question is "Jeremy Bearimy, baby."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    My favorite joke from this episode:
    One Jeremy Bearimy later

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    I like how they jump ahead in time and everyone looks the same. No aging in the afterlife.

Finale spoilers (title and “description”):
    “Whenever You’re Ready”

Various conversations occur, between various groups of people.

Was today's episode the last one? It seemed like it.
    Interesting message. Essentially, people have to die.

edited January 2020
    Kinda feels like
    This was the end, and next week is the epilogue.

Edit: oh, fuck. Next week’s title. I’m crying already.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    “Whenever You’re Ready”

So I think we all know what this last episode will be.
    The arc of the afterlife for each of them and all of them until they come to the time when they're ready to walk through the door.

I thought this particular episode was super rushed and could have been at least a little bit of an arc, but I like the direction

• swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    “Whenever You’re Ready”

So I think we all know what this last episode will be.
    The arc of the afterlife for each of them and all of them until they come to the time when they're ready to walk through the door.

I thought this particular episode was super rushed and could have been at least a little bit of an arc, but I like the direction

I was feeling the same thing regarding the pace but am really looking forward to going back through season 4 all at once because I feel like in context of the entire season it will slot in nicely.
    My initial thought was I'd rather have this "final" conflict arc of a broken Good Place resolved over a double-episode with a single final epsiode epilogue but given how much time we have spent with these characters I think the longer wind-down is earned.

And that's of course assuming the show gives us the tidy send-off they are telegraphing. It certainly seems that way but...you know.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Yeah,
    This show is definitely set in the Star Trek universe. This is exactly like the Voyager episode "Death Wish" where they find a suicidal Q. He convinces them that his existence is suffering by showing them the Q Continuum where all the Q are bored because they’ve visited every corner of the universe, they’ve done everything there is to do in all of existence, and they’ve just been sitting there for millions of years.

Complete speculation
    Next week we’ll see everyone arrive and/or pass through the Good Place. All the family members and friends, the second test subjects, Doug, Mindy, Derek, etc. And maybe even the demons. If Michael could improve, no reason why Vicki, or even Shawn won’t, with enough time.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm wondering if the finale will essentially be a
    victory lap. They could surprise us of course, but there really doesn't seem anywhere else to go.

Then again, if any show deserves a victory lap, it's this one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293