As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[movie] thread: slam in the back of my jackula

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the Dolittle movie seems absolutely baffling which is a bummer. seems like it wouldn't be terribly hard to just do a straightforward adaptation of the original books but, sometimes I guess you've just gotta burn an enormous amount of Hollywood cash

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    i really enjoyed Annihilation and honestly how different the book and film feels incredibly appropriate in a way i don’t find in most adaptations

after I watched that movie I thought it was middle of the road, I guess, but then I couldn't stop thinking about it for like two months? so maybe it's secretly one of my favorites? I have no idea!

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I just got out of Underwater. Kristen Stewart has to deal with sea beasts in Warhammer 40k armor ass looking diving suits.

Unfortunately TJ Miller is also there
    fortunately his head pops like a grape.

Also Cthulhu at like full Godzilla size shows up at the end

Anyways I liked it a lot more than I expected! And it cares about its characters way more than you’d expect a b movie creature feature to

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Beverly Crusher choreographed the ballroom scene in Labyrinth?!

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

yyyyyup. :)

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Huh, and Muppets Take Manhattan.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    As an owner of the Southern Reach trilogy and a VanderMeer fan - and I dunno how it took this long - I am now watching Annihilation for the first time.

This adaptation is kicking ass so far. Music, great. Casting, great. Murderbear, grrrrrrrreat.

I was really surprised at how much I liked it. There are choices they made that I don't like as much as the way the book progresses, but they're generally in service to making it adaptable and I understand what's up with that.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I prefer the book, but I think the movie has amazing visuals and I love it for being its own thing

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just saw The Swimmer, a 1968 film starring Burt Lancaster as a man who wears nothing but swim shorts for 90 minutes as he crashes all his friends pools. It’s a wild movie.

It starts out like a campy paradise, all old chums slapping ass and reminiscing over cocktails by the poolside, but something feels off. It almost feels like simply bad filmmaking, and maybe some of the rough edges are genuine, but it slowly flips this bourgeois dream on its head. It’s wonderfully surreal, with lengthy stretches that really swing for the arthouse fences. The stranger it got, the more I liked it. There’s a lengthy scene where he leaps over fences like a horse in slow motion. It’s great.

And I cannot stress this enough. Burt Lancaster looks like this for the entire movie. He’s in every scene.
    the-swimmer-slide2.jpg

tynic wrote: »
    I prefer the book, but I think the movie has amazing visuals and I love it for being its own thing

I was a little worried that seeing the movie first would kinda lock in the visuals when I read the book and boy was that certainly not a problem

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    tynic wrote: »

It also, I feel, tackled adapting the concept of unknowable cosmic horror into a visual medium far better than most movies that take a shot at the genre.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Whelp the partner and I are watching Annihilation. Good work everyone

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I rewatch the final act of that film so often. It's just so good.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Explains the episode where Crusher teaches Data how to dance.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

One minor thing on rewatch I love how even the score of the movie adapts and changes

aGPmIBD.jpg

One minor thing on rewatch I love how even the score of the movie adapts and changes

I wish the music hadn't shown up in the trailer because it would have been incredible to hear that wailing synth drone for the very first time in that scene.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Explains the episode where Crusher teaches Data how to dance.

I knew McFadden could dance but didn’t know she worked for Henson before Star Trek!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just got out of Underwater. Kristen Stewart has to deal with sea beasts in Warhammer 40k armor ass looking diving suits.

Anyways I liked it a lot more than I expected! And it cares about its characters way more than you’d expect a b movie creature feature to

Hold on a second
    it's just.... Cthulhu? Actual? Straight up?

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Hold on a second
    Yes

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Yes. There are so many details it just nails that make it so deeply unnerving. My favorite is the house they set up camp in
    being almost identical to Lena's house in the opening scene -- even down to mirroring the exact same camera angles as in the opening.

I didn't even notice the first time I watched it, but something just felt off and uncomfortable about it the whole time.

minor incident on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Saw Uncut Gems

It was fine! Well done but not really my thing

Hold on a second
    Yes
    they don’t say the name Cthulhu. And it’s not a particularly Lovecraftian movie. But that fucker is Cthulhu. The only thing is that it lacks wings but there is a shot where it is framed where it’s tentacles look wing like

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Okay fine rewatching Annihilation from the start, too.

Fun factoid:
    The student who asks Portman's character a question is a professional dancer and did the performance for the creature at the climax of the film. I knew of her from this music video:
    https://youtu.be/BC2dRkm8ATU

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Okay fine rewatching Annihilation from the start, too.

Fun factoid:
    The student who asks Portman's character a question is a professional dancer and did the performance for the creature at the climax of the film. I knew of her from this music video:
    https://youtu.be/BC2dRkm8ATU
    She's also Kyoko in Ex Machina, and one of the scientists in Maniac. Super talented performer.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Hold on a second
    Yes
    they don’t say the name Cthulhu. And it’s not a particularly Lovecraftian movie. But that fucker is Cthulhu. The only thing is that it lacks wings but there is a shot where it is framed where it’s tentacles look wing like

The director actually outright said
    they're wings in the shot, and yes it is Cthulhu even though it's not named in-film https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3601266/spoilers-underwater-director-confirms-saw-thought-saw-final-act/

Underwater fucking rules

Well shit, I was not expecting that from Underwater, but now I'm in.

Hold on a second
    Yes

The director actually outright said
    they're wings in the shot, and yes it is Cthulhu even though it's not named in-film https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3601266/spoilers-underwater-director-confirms-saw-thought-saw-final-act/

Underwater fucking rules

Well shit!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    is Underwater on Netflix orrrrr

cuz I'm gonna watch that shit

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Yeah that sounds badass. I'm gonna have to put that on the short list.

3clipse wrote: »
    is Underwater on Netflix orrrrr

cuz I'm gonna watch that shit

It's in theaters now, out in the January wastelands.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Just watched Annihilation with the human being I am seeing

God I love this movie and especially the climactic sequence

I think it's fair to say this movie has one of the deepest treks into proper cosmic horror to ever really take hold in the mainstream

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Just watched Annihilation with the human being I am seeing

God I love this movie and especially the climactic sequence

I think it's fair to say this movie has one of the deepest treks into proper cosmic horror to ever really take hold in the mainstream

It's a damn shame that executive feuding resulted in it getting less buzz than it deserved. IIRC outside of the US it didn't even get a theatrical release.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Coming in to report

Annihilation. Still great

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    Just watched Parasite. I regret waiting so long, what a great movie. I think I'll be stewing over that ending for awhile.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Just watched Booksmart finally, really liked it for what it sets out to be

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Dolittle, grossing $6.3 million on Friday, is now looking at a projected four-day gross of $31 million. While that's somewhat ahead of tracking, it is still a dismal start for a film that cost $175 million to $200 million before marketing. The hope now is that family audience gives Dolittle long legs; it also could make up ground overseas.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-bad-boys-life-eyes-68m-dolittle-goes-dogs-1270931

I love that at some point "pony up 200 million dollars for a Dolittle reboot with Robert Downey Jr." sounded like a slam dunk to someone with the juice to make it happen.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dr. Dolittle is such a weird property that Hollywood seems compelled to revisit every so often.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I love that at some point "pony up 200 million dollars for a Dolittle reboot with Robert Downey Jr." sounded like a slam dunk to someone with the juice to make it happen.

well, to give them some credit, when they initially set the budget I'm thinking they were aiming to have the budget be a bit lower, but uh...the production had some issues

This discussion has been closed.