As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Jebus314 apparently cable modem updates have to be sent down by the ISP. :rotate:

JFC they don't want us to do anything on our own.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @Jebus314 apparently cable modem updates have to be sent down by the ISP. :rotate:

JFC they don't want us to do anything on our own.

for 99% of the people who have cable modems, this is probably the preferred state.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Today I am annoyed. We closed on our house late November of last year. One of the conditions was that we service our ductless splits, so obviously we did so. At the time the technician said everything was fine though there was some work that could eventually get done on the units in the form of a new cover and potentially a new motor for one of the units down the road. I tell him I'm not interested so long as the units are in working order now as we're selling the house.

Today we get a call from our agent who tells us he got a call from our buyer's agent saying they're coming after us because one of the ductless splits has broken. They sent along a report from the folks who cleaned and maintained the unit when we were selling that we never received. I did see the report as I signed it on the bottom but it's clear that after the technician left the house he added the line "Owner is selling the house and does not want to fix anything. New buyers may want to." - this is after I signed the report.

I'm at a loss. I feel we held up our end of the agreement by getting the units maintained and providing the associated invoice. Now I'm receiving this mysterious report with info that wasn't on it when I signed it. I honestly don't even know how the new owners got the report.

It's probably talk to a lawyer time. Because so long as you met the requirement of the sale, it doesn't matter one lick what the technician says was or was not required. So if the sale says you have to get them "serviced" (not inspected or repaired) and you got them serviced, then the buyers can fuck off with any claims. You met the conditions of the agreement, and it was on the buyers to not accept sale if they felt additional work was required from inspection or service reports they received.

Yeah I agree. I work with contracts all the time so I'm incredibly comfortable with how we approached the situation. I've told my agent to tell theirs that they can pound sand or take me to small claims court but that they can expect to have a counter-claim for my lost wages if I have to show up in court.

We're two months out from the sale of that house now and we're talking about a piece of equipment that sees 24/7 use that sits outside in the middle of a Canadian winter. There's no way I'm responsible for this. These are first time home buyers and this is likely them not understanding that there's no warranty on an old house and I'm not their landlord.

The plot thickens with this. Turns out this is all happening because the company that serviced our ductless splits provided the buyers of our old home with a document absent any context saying I refused a bunch of repairs (when in fact they were all presented to me as optional things that could be fixed down the line as a means for them to sell me a maintenance plan). This document also contains a bunch of personal information including my name, email, and phone number.

So I'm pretty fucking pissed. I'm in Canada so this is looking like a violation of PIPEDA and as such I've filed a complaint with the privacy commissioner. I've also requested a sit down meeting with the owner of the company that did the servicing so I can understand how often the perform this practice, and frankly, so I can give him a piece of my mind.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Do you guys have any advice on blinds or shades? Ideally something that can block out light and isn't too expensive. I've got 3x 3' by 5' window cutouts, 6x 4' by 5' window cutouts, and a 5' by 6'8" sliding glass door that I need to cover somehow. Checked out the wirecutter recommended blinds and it was like $880 plus tax for just the windows, plus $275 plus tax for the door. Are blinds just hella expensive or should I look around some more?

For reference, the ones I was looking at:

Window blinds:
    https://www.selectblinds.com/cellularshades/9-16-inch-cordless-blackout-shade.html

Door blinds:
    https://www.selectblinds.com/verticalblinds/designer-panel-track-collection-for-sliding-doors.html

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yes, blinds are hella expensive.

Another option is to buy fabric at a fabric store and ask a local dry cleaners to run hems and pockets for you.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'll second blinds being expensive - it cost us a couple thousand to have blinds installed in our home. But it's worth it, as they can increase the insulation of the house, as well as allowing us to black out our master bedroom (my wife has issues with migraines, so this is essential.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Any color recommendations? Classic white? I was looking at greys. All the walls and windows are white for what it's worth.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Depends on the look you're going for and their width - how many windows they're covering. If it's not like a full bay window, you can go for a subtle pattern if most of the other furnishings are solid colors.

We also have two sheers for each window in the middle with pattern curtains on the ends. Let's you diffuse light during the day, then close up at night. We also have some cell shades from Lowes that are good and not super expensive.

• Options
    Washer, dryer, and fridge arrived! Everything's mostly set up, other than I'll probably need to switch the door hinges on the fridge the other way. Also, I'm having trouble figuring out the drain cover in the wall for the washing machine. I guess there were tabs on it originally but they appear to have broken off. I have no idea how to open it or remove it or whatever for the washing machine drain hose.

KGsphr2.jpg?1

Any ideas? Should I just call a plumber?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It should be able to be knocked out, or just pulled off. I've never seen one that was vertical like that though, usually the drain is in between the hot and cold. Try getting a flat screwdriver around the edge of it, see if you can find a gap and pry it off?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    We are looking to buy our first house and are going to view some places tomorrow. Yay, nervous!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    We are looking to buy our first house and are going to view some places tomorrow. Yay, nervous!

If you haven't already, talk over what is Required vs. Nice to Have vs Bonus. It's a business decision, but of courses a lot of emotions are often involved. Think about if you want a place ready to move in or if you want a place that needs some work. Pros and cons to both.

• Options
    Woo, move in complete! Still got a couple of boxes worth of books and the food in the fridge/freezer to take over, but everything else is here! I have no idea where I'm gonna put all my kitchen stuff. It's a nightmare. So much stuff, so many cabinets, it's paralyzing.

Also, the movers I'm pretty sure lost the power cable to my TV :| They're gonna check the truck on Monday, but I'm debating whether I should order another cable now just in case they don't find it. They said they brought it downstairs and it was by a box, but I've checked everything multiple times and can't find it :|

Also want to reverse the doors on my fridge, though i'm debating whether it's actually worth the work or if I can just deal with opening the door into the kitchen instead of against the wall.

Also need to install knobs on like a billion different cabinet doors. That's probably gonna be one of my days next weekend.

Everything is so much work >.<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Major tip: spend the ~$10-20 and get a template at HD/Lowe's for the cabinet hardware. That way everything lines up without you having to think about it.

Also if it bothers you now, it'll likely always bother you, so take the time and change your fridge door before it's full of food.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    MichaelLC wrote: »

If you haven't already, talk over what is Required vs. Nice to Have vs Bonus. It's a business decision, but of courses a lot of emotions are often involved. Think about if you want a place ready to move in or if you want a place that needs some work. Pros and cons to both.

Yea, we definitely have gone over that. Parking and 1.5 bathrooms are a must. Our place right now is HORRIBLE with parking and we only have one bathroom. And definitely move in ready.

I think our current issue is we saw 3 houses yesterday. Only 1 was suitable for us and we liked it. We are also going on a week long cruise starting this Friday and the following Thurs-Sun I am gone on a trip just myself. We don't know if we should just go in for this house or look at others since we've only seen three. But if we do that, then we might miss out on the current only one we liked. But we also don't want to just jump at it because it is there and we are leaving on a trip soon.

This house has also been on the market for 100+ days and the price seems to keep dropping, so I think our realtor is gonna find out why. That and knowing the situation with the neighbor's pool (do they have kids and will them being loud and obnoxious annoy us) are the only real issues we have with it honestly.

edit: Oh, and I'm sure it is on both of our minds that we just want to get the fuck out of here because of our neighbors, but we obviously don't want to take a place just to leave immediately. But yea, that is definitely something that I am sure influences us to move quickly.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Don't get into the buyer's remorse/sunk cost head game. A house is just a house and there are hundreds of others.

Also if you want "true" move in ready, expect a higher price point for the same offering and a bunch more competition.

Speaking from my own experience, there is a lot you can do yourself with some research; and dealing with something for a few weeks or months won't matter if you're living there for years.

• Options
    Don't get into the buyer's remorse/sunk cost head game. A house is just a house and there are hundreds of others.

Also if you want "true" move in ready, expect a higher price point for the same offering and a bunch more competition.

Speaking from my own experience, there is a lot you can do yourself with some research; and dealing with something for a few weeks or months won't matter if you're living there for years.

When I say move in ready, I mean we might want to add a second sink in the bathroom or paint stuff and those kind of things. But they would be fine how they are until we would get around to it. I don't mean things are perfect and we won't have to fix anything. Heh.

I think we are definitely aware of those head games and are kind of battling them, but are trying not to get too wrapped up in that for sure. I like this house, but I feel like I am supposed to get that overwhelming feeling of THIS IS IT that everybody says happens and I didn't immediately have that I think? I wouldn't be mad about getting this place. I already picture us living there. WHY IS THIS SO HARD?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Ah, ok. So basically you don't want a full Property Brothers rehab project. Which; I don't blame you.

• Options
    You may never feel that. Same with partners; perfection is over rated.

Yeah, move in ready varies. We looked at one places that the kitchen was in need of immediate demolition. Another was kind of dated but certainly livable as we updated each room.

Varies by market and financials, but generally if you're looking at a place to live in many years, you'll want to find somewhere that meets your immediate/futyre needs and seems like a good growing community because you will likely want to sell at some point.

The more you can tell your agent, the more they can help. Take a look at different styles of homes; colonial, Tudor, Cape Cod, etc, and see if some call out to you over others. As everything, market dependent; there may be only one style available around you.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    My wife and I are in the process of making an offer on a new home while trying to sell our current home. Also keeping a house staged with two young kids is super fun.

I'm truly in hell.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aside from buying a shitload of humidifiers, anyone have a good way to make the house not so damn dry? The pellet stove is drying us right out and I feel terrible for my cats since I'm shocking them every time I pet them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Welp, did a bunch more stuff this weekend. Started getting my kitchen sorted. Attempted to switch the door opening on the fridge, but we couldn't get the central hinge pin out (both my friend and I tried and got a lot of force on it, but any more and we were worried we'd rip the screws holding the whole hinge in place out). Ended up having to put it back on how it was before. Also mounted my tv on the wall, but it ended up being a couple inches higher than I probably would've liked. But fixing it would be another 2 holes in my wall, so I think I'll just live with it for now. It still looks good and if anything makes it easier for the 2nd row couch to see it. Called a plumber about the washer drain cap in the wall and they couldn't come yesterday but could potentially come today. Called em back to postpone it til Friday when I'm off. Then this weekend I can finish cleaning everything in the apartment so it's ready to turn back over, move the rest of the books I have there into my house, and finally mount the knobs on all my cabinets. I'll hit up Ace hardware and see if they have a template then, too. Should probably also pick up a fire extinguisher, since I just realized there isn't one in the house (so used to there already being one there).

Also, first time doing showers and brushing teeth and whatnot in the house and realized that it takes like a full minute to get hot water to my bathroom. Kind of annoying but not really something I can do anything about any time soon.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    My wife and I are in the process of making an offer on a new home while trying to sell our current home. Also keeping a house staged with two young kids is super fun.

I'm truly in hell.

Putting a bunch of stuff in temporary storage was our solution to this. Still, sucks though. And having to get out of the house for open houses and showings sucks.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    hi thread, so me and my wife been through the whole amazing roller coaster of emotions that is buying your home for the first time.
    After looking at a bunch of "almost ready to move" apartments and a ton of stories and some drama, we settled on a fixer upper, 47 year old apartment that was never remodeled or got any real maintenance.

Of course we had our share of surprises; brazilian apartments are all brick and mortar, no drywalls or stuff like that. I'll post some pictures of the work later.

We're having to rebuild all the pipes, wiring and resurface the parquet floors. Oh, and we're also replacing the old shitty wooden guillotine windows with aluminum. Right now we're at that excruciating phase; the big work is done, walls and pipes and wire passages, they're finishing all the kitchen and bathroom tiling and fixtures; painter is gonna go in and do some heavy work; we got the parquet guy and the kitchen/bathroom bespoke furniture guy on hold waiting for their turn. Money is running dangerously short, tho, but we can't really cut anything; everything we're doing can't really be done later after we move in.

I honestly kinda wish we would keep being renters for a while, but hey, gotta rip that bandaid, and i'm pretty sure we're gonna do fine after everything is in the past.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Aside from buying a shitload of humidifiers, anyone have a good way to make the house not so damn dry? The pellet stove is drying us right out and I feel terrible for my cats since I'm shocking them every time I pet them.

Your other option is a whole-house unit; though I'm not sure if you can tie one in to a pellet stove or if the hot air is too hot for a typical humidifier.

@Stabbity Style have you checked YT or potentially the OEM's site for instructions on how to swap the door? They should also be able to tell you if swapping the door is even possible with that particular model.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    We were looking into a furnace built in humidifier, and were told it tends to create mold in the ducts, so we reverted to a bunch of humidifiers around the house.

• Options

Your other option is a whole-house unit; though I'm not sure if you can tie one in to a pellet stove or if the hot air is too hot for a typical humidifier.

@Stabbity Style have you checked YT or potentially the OEM's site for instructions on how to swap the door? They should also be able to tell you if swapping the door is even possible with that particular model.

Yeah, we were following the instructions on how to swap it. The center hinge bolt was just so screwed in tightly or whatever that we couldn't get it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28IUkYrLgzo

I guess in that video they're using an electronic screwdriver to get it out (though it's a bolt in my case, not a screw), so maybe it could've taken more force than we were willing to risk. Whatever, it's not that big a deal.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Yea, we definitely have gone over that. Parking and 1.5 bathrooms are a must. Our place right now is HORRIBLE with parking and we only have one bathroom. And definitely move in ready.

I think our current issue is we saw 3 houses yesterday. Only 1 was suitable for us and we liked it. We are also going on a week long cruise starting this Friday and the following Thurs-Sun I am gone on a trip just myself. We don't know if we should just go in for this house or look at others since we've only seen three. But if we do that, then we might miss out on the current only one we liked. But we also don't want to just jump at it because it is there and we are leaving on a trip soon.

This house has also been on the market for 100+ days and the price seems to keep dropping, so I think our realtor is gonna find out why. That and knowing the situation with the neighbor's pool (do they have kids and will them being loud and obnoxious annoy us) are the only real issues we have with it honestly.

edit: Oh, and I'm sure it is on both of our minds that we just want to get the fuck out of here because of our neighbors, but we obviously don't want to take a place just to leave immediately. But yea, that is definitely something that I am sure influences us to move quickly.

So, we are going to wait on that place and check out more on 2/2 when we get back from vacation. That solves that.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Welp, did a bunch more stuff this weekend. Started getting my kitchen sorted. Attempted to switch the door opening on the fridge, but we couldn't get the central hinge pin out (both my friend and I tried and got a lot of force on it, but any more and we were worried we'd rip the screws holding the whole hinge in place out). Ended up having to put it back on how it was before. Also mounted my tv on the wall, but it ended up being a couple inches higher than I probably would've liked. But fixing it would be another 2 holes in my wall, so I think I'll just live with it for now. It still looks good and if anything makes it easier for the 2nd row couch to see it. Called a plumber about the washer drain cap in the wall and they couldn't come yesterday but could potentially come today. Called em back to postpone it til Friday when I'm off. Then this weekend I can finish cleaning everything in the apartment so it's ready to turn back over, move the rest of the books I have there into my house, and finally mount the knobs on all my cabinets. I'll hit up Ace hardware and see if they have a template then, too. Should probably also pick up a fire extinguisher, since I just realized there isn't one in the house (so used to there already being one there).

Also, first time doing showers and brushing teeth and whatnot in the house and realized that it takes like a full minute to get hot water to my bathroom. Kind of annoying but not really something I can do anything about any time soon.

I mean, if you move the TV down two inches you're not going to see the holes...

• Options

True enough! I might bug my friend to help me this weekend if I'm up to it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Any room left on the brackets? You might not even need to move the wall mount if you can slide the brackets on the back of the TV up a bit.

• Options
    Any room left on the brackets? You might not even need to move the wall mount if you can slide the brackets on the back of the TV up a bit.

Oh, maybe. I think the brackets might be already close to the edge, but I can probably have a friend help me take off the tv from the mount this weekend and check it out.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Welp, plumbers came by and removed that cap that I posted earlier. Just took a pliers wrench and broke it off piece by piece. Man, ignorance is expensive. $111 for like a minute of work. Better safe than sorry, I suppose :|

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

True enough! I might bug my friend to help me this weekend if I'm up to it.

One of the first things I did was put up a coat rack, mess up, and just get it right so that the screw up holes were behind the fixture.

• Options
    Welp, plumbers came by and removed that cap that I posted earlier. Just took a pliers wrench and broke it off piece by piece. Man, ignorance is expensive. $111 for like a minute of work. Better safe than sorry, I suppose :|

Consider it an insurance payment in case you did it and it went horribly wrong. Then you'd be paying them emergency rates. Also got to try out the company on a small project.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Last week I discovered that although I can assemble and move a bookshelf by myself it isn't necessarily a good idea. I also learned I could disassemble one by myself after I put the wrong shelves on first.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I thought you were going to say you learned you could disassemble one by yourself, by falling onto it.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    When I was still living in an apartment, I learned that it's a lot of work to disassemble a bookshelf such that you can fit it all down a trash chute.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I
    Fucking
    Hate
    Maintenance
    On
    Pedestal
    Sinks

• Options
    We found a stainless steel sink that I think is meant for a kitchen environment, but we are checking measurements to see if it'll fit as a new laundry sink. Costco runs are never cheap.

This discussion has been closed.