As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I forgot all about the 'character is secretly a dragon' trope. I've gotten rusty in my anime knowledge.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It is the oldest and most enshrined trope in Fire Emblem in particular, but it must seem pretty out-of-left-field if you haven't played one in a long time/ever
    "So... you are just another failure."

How about that "Dangerously imbalanced anime eyes with head tilted back" look Rhea gives you, eh

That shit sold her as a threat so instantly it's almost comedic

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Ignatz crushing on Flayn and Flayn being absolutely delighted by it is adorable, it's true.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    A whole bunch of extra details about the DLC

It's a separate story, selected from the menu

https://serenesforest.net/2020/01/17/three-houses-nintendo-japan-sheds-tiny-bit-light-cindered-shadows-side-story/

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Oh my goodness everyone's hair is so fancy!

And now I have about two hours of support conversations to go through.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

https://serenesforest.net/2020/01/17/three-houses-nintendo-japan-sheds-tiny-bit-light-cindered-shadows-side-story/

So what I am reading is it's time to start my Crimson Sky part 2 run! I have to end on my favorite story, and I really love how it plays out.

Spoilers for all the runs
    I honestly just do not understand how Rhea is not the villain of every story. Even before Edelgard started throwing a ton of shade I was side eyeing her hard. Jeralt clearly didn't trust her which is a bit of a tell, but the bit with Sylvain's brother was a huge red flag for me. This asshole house fucked over their son leading to him recklessly using a weapon and turning into a murder beast, and you want to give them the weapon back? Are you fucking high? The evil eyes and support loss told me a lot in that moment.

Everything else about the crest system just created more and more gross scenarios for me. Sylvain is the typical flirty playboy type that does gross things. However, a lot of his supports spell out a system where he is just perpetuating a cycle. He doesn't use women because he is trying to be gross. He is attempting to mirror the level of connection he believes they have for him. Ingrid falls under the same system. This is before we get into the bullshit nobility system dumping on just everyone like my first love, and amazing street rat Dorothea.

So then you look at the other houses. Golden Deer catches the massive conspiracy of what's going on, but loses focus on who is perpetuating the cycle. Claude is barely accepted as anything because racism. He realizes he needs to open the borders to normalize relations, but doesn't connect to the shitty nobility system that enforces that border. Shitty people with too much power decided those others weren't good enough and that was the end.

Rhea seems, at best, ambivalent to this. At worst, she seems pretty fucking happy to have her uneducated Almyrian slave boy to worship her and bust ass all day. I get the impression this ain't the first they took in an orphan who they then neglected to educate but made sure to have do tons of work. This is before we start getting into all the weird shit Claude discovers the church is up to, and learning that Rhea tried to fucking murder Byleth through a bizarre ritual sacrifice. I also find it super convenient that once Byleth's mom was alone with Rhea she suddenly needed to sacrifice her life to save Byleth.

Then Azure Moon comes along and the nobility system is front to back the cause of fucking everything going wrong there. Those Who Slither In the Dark fucked around in Duscur because of the shitty nobility system, and their fucked up experiments with crests. Without Crests their entire plot line does not play out at all. It is the major driving factor in everything that fucked up their entire Kingdom, and Rhea is super cool with it. The church fucking perpetuates it!

Sylvain, Ingrid, Mercedes, and Ashe are all directly fucked over by the Crest system as well. I think only Edelgard and Lyisthea suffer more for it. The kingdom is filled with rot that is ruining families left and right. I get it that Dimitri is kind of a shitty ruler. So maybe he just refuses to see how is closest allies have had their lives shattered by this, but someone should be telling this shit is fucked! We don't need to rescue Rhea. We need to torch her. Byleth does take over in the end, but with no accounting for the attempted murder that happened. They also don't challenge the bullshit that is the Crest system that caused so much pain.

Edelgard is right! Rhea being a dangerous, murderous, unbalanced psychopath reinforces her method is the only way to enact the change. The Church will always shit it's pants at the thought of maybe not having all the power ever because there is a narcissist in charge. All it's missing is letting you exact your revenge on TWSITD and then it would be perfect. Well, also an option to not kill Dimitri, but Ahab will never stop hunting the whale. At some point you just gotta accept not everyone gets to make it out alive.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I think when the DLC lands I'm going to make a Crimson Flower run where I try to recruit everyone, that'll be a hoot

...I say "try" but I'm going to have enough Renown saved up to just buy everyone's B supports, this'll be a piece of cake

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think one thing I've accepted about myself is that I'm unlikely to do anything but Crimson Flower runs

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I think one thing I've accepted about myself is that I'm unlikely to do anything but Crimson Flower runs

My completionism has driven me to run through every route once. This means that I have played, in order, Crimson Flower, Verdant Wind, Crimson Flower, Silver Snow, Crimson Flower, and Azure Moon.

I think I'm gonna do another, possibly final playthrough once the last DLC drops. And I already know which route it's gonna be. As would anyone with basic pattern recognition.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think in games, I tend to make the choices I want to make the first time through, and then making other choices feels like I'm doing it out of obligation more than out of a genuine desire to see what happens if I go the other way. It can be a little easier if I go in with a character concept in mind, I guess, like, if I go play through SWTOR as a different class, it's easier to go, "oh, the trooper would be far more mercenary about this choice than the jedi knight would," but like, in Dragon Age 2, I played through that thing like four times and I can't tell you that I made measurably different choices.

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    You know i would really like a version of three houses where sothis gets to wear the flesh suit

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Snip Below!
    This is before we start getting into all the weird shit Claude discovers the church is up to, and learning that Rhea tried to fucking murder Byleth through a bizarre ritual sacrifice. I also find it super convenient that once Byleth's mom was alone with Rhea she suddenly needed to sacrifice her life to save Byleth.
    YES. YES YES EXACTLY!!! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rhea 100% murdered Byleth's mother and stuck the crest stone in little baby Byleth (who most likely had a heart that worked just fine considering the end of Crimson Flower)

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Snip Below!
    This is before we start getting into all the weird shit Claude discovers the church is up to, and learning that Rhea tried to fucking murder Byleth through a bizarre ritual sacrifice. I also find it super convenient that once Byleth's mom was alone with Rhea she suddenly needed to sacrifice her life to save Byleth.
    YES. YES YES EXACTLY!!! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rhea 100% murdered Byleth's mother and stuck the crest stone in little baby Byleth (who most likely had a heart that worked just fine considering the end of Crimson Flower)

Well the end of crimson flower
    is just straight anime magic. Rhea is not the origin of the crests or anything like that. She's just one dragon that can give them, and the crest Byleth has isn't Rhea's, it's Sothis's, so it makes 0 sense that the crest stone breaks other than "happy ending"

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Snip Below!

is just straight anime magic. Rhea is not the origin of the crests or anything like that. She's just one dragon that can give them, and the crest Byleth has isn't Rhea's, it's Sothis's, so it makes 0 sense that the crest stone breaks other than "happy ending"

I think you misunderstand what I am saying.
    I am saying that Rhea took Sothis' crest stone (heart) and then used sinister magicks to create golems which she then stuck Sothis' crest stone in. None of 'em took, including Byleth's mother, who happened to get pregnant the usual way.

I think Byleth was born, and was relatively normal (with a typical ole human heart).

Rhea, sensing an opportunity, murdered Byleth's mom, ripped out Sothis' crest stone, and stuck it in Baby Byleth in the hopes that this time Sothis would awaken!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Snip Below!

It should be noted Sothis is still around on that ending. You can get her S rank there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Regarding Rhea and Sothis
    Seems like Sothis is a lazy fucking God at best, so explains a bit of Rhea I think. There's a big theme of the sins of the parents visiting the children in this game.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Seems like Sothis is a lazy fucking God at best, so explains a bit of Rhea I think. There's a big theme of the sins of the parents visiting the children in this game.

Verdant Wind ending spoilers:
    Sothis was killed in the Red Canyon incident - it's why Rhea's on the warpath in the opening cinematic. The sword of the creator and the crest stone of flames were literally made from her dead body. That's why the sword (and presumably the crest stone was too before Rhea went mad science) entombed in the grave for Seiros.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I like to think Sothis is just another race of creature and not a god
    Rhea is far from the only villain. While she was experimenting with crest stones, so were TWSITD. Fodlan is caught in the middle of this fucked up thing going back ages, and Claude is the one who does the most good, wiping out TWISTD and putting Byleth in charge instead of Rhea, and then working on World Peace and Harmony.

Edel’s story needs more chapters of her turning her axe on her uncle. I didn’t like that it ended with killing Dimitri and Rhea and then a /shrug and mention that she ends TWSITD too- I want to play that part, and not just a paralogue!

• Options
    It actually did end up being two hours of support conversations.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    In regards to the current house students you get to use with the Ashen Wolves:
    Oh hey, all three house leaders at once. That'll be cool. I hope we get supports between them.

And then Linhardt and Hilda, my two surprise favourite characters in the game! Awesome.

And Ashe... Who is... a good boy...

Originally I had assumed that the DLC characters would just be injected into the game-as-is, so I had been waiting on doing Silver Snow. But with it being it's own thing completely I guess I'll use that route split save I had after all.

Edit: on that last bit, I'm now reading that...
    ... you can recruit them in the main game, but once you've finished their side story. So I guess I'll be doing a Silver Snow run from the start afterall, once I've finished the Ashen Wolves.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Yeah, I recently finished my second playthrough of the game, so I'm going to wait and do the new DLC before I start my third.

• Options

If we can get supports out of this lineup I'm going to be real happy

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm on my second run now but I'm thinking ahead to my third

I kinda want to put Byleth in something other than the Enlightened One class

Maybe Hero? I haven't had anyone take that spot yet in either playthrough. And I kinda like the idea of a Byleth who just says "nah" to the magic that comes with EO and just hits shit with metal like he always did

• Options
    I like to think Sothis is just another race of creature and not a god
    Rhea is far from the only villain. While she was experimenting with crest stones, so were TWSITD. Fodlan is caught in the middle of this fucked up thing going back ages, and Claude is the one who does the most good, wiping out TWISTD and putting Byleth in charge instead of Rhea, and then working on World Peace and Harmony.

Edel’s story needs more chapters of her turning her axe on her uncle. I didn’t like that it ended with killing Dimitri and Rhea and then a /shrug and mention that she ends TWSITD too- I want to play that part, and not just a paralogue!

I tend to think the same.
    Sothis's people were also basically colonizers, depending on how you read the history, and the Agarthans pushing back against them over time might make sense.

Crimson Flower really got short-changed in general. It's most of a year later and it's still silly that they thought they shouldn't give an equally sized campaign to what would end up being the most popular path headed by the most popular character.

...also Claude actually dreams of grown-up, for-real empire. Which adds a lot of depth to his character, but it makes it interesting that so many people think of him as some kind of peacemaker

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Maybe Hero? I haven't had anyone take that spot yet in either playthrough. And I kinda like the idea of a Byleth who just says "nah" to the magic that comes with EO and just hits shit with metal like he always did

I put Byleth through Hero on my first run, and it was fine, but I ended up with Holy Knight. I couldn't stand the look of EO so I dropped it ASAP on both my runs. Second run I went Wyvern Lord for him, because flyers are so useful in this game.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I have never had a bad experience with War Master. The class is ridiculously powerful. Fists are the strongest weapon, crit is stupidly good in this game, and giving extra double attacks while preventing doubles is stupid strong. Watching Dedue and Felix keep pace with goddess of head severance Petra right after they got that one skill was eye opening. This says nothing of when Raph got bumped to a top tier character on the back of the same skill.

• Options
    The fourth FEH Choose Your Legends voting has started, if anybody has done that in the past.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I voted for Largo, obviously.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

Verdant Wind ending spoilers:
    Sothis was killed in the Red Canyon incident - it's why Rhea's on the warpath in the opening cinematic. The sword of the creator and the crest stone of flames were literally made from her dead body. That's why the sword (and presumably the crest stone was too before Rhea went mad science) entombed in the grave for Seiros.

I see humor is a lost art

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Mid-point results for FEH's Choose Your Legends vote:

A lot of Three Houses characters in the top ten, but more older characters rounding out things than I was expecting. (Plus a couple original Heroes characters... I had stopped paying attention to that, and there are butterfly people now?!?)

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm just happy to see Jill at least made the Top 20.

So far.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    heroes' commitment to taking a baffling new aesthetic each year is probably one of the best things about that game

like the first fire and ice one was pretty bad, but transitioning from that into screamo jelly skeleton hell and from that into Lisa Frank's Inception are both pretty funny

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    What are you doing at number 5, Seliph? I cannot believe that many people have actually played Genealogy of the Holy War/Thracia 776.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Weird, why did they use some characters in theit pre-timeskip designs and others in their post-timeskip?

If they're the more popular designs, who favors hatless Dorothea to hat-having Dorothea

• Options
    We've had our first alumni casualty.

Leonie showed up shouting something about how Jeralt would be on her side and mad at all of us.

Then she got a spear through the chest and died alone on a battlefield no one will remember, on a bridge no one will care about.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The hat is bad

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Weird, why did they use some characters in theit pre-timeskip designs and others in their post-timeskip?

If they're the more popular designs, who favors hatless Dorothea to hat-having Dorothea
    there's an option to pick either version (this also applies to other characters who appear in multiple games)

votes are counted together, but the more popular version of the character is going to be used as the foundation for the new design (and is probably what they're showing on the list)

• Options
    I like how pretty much everyone who landed in the top 10 got their wartime designs, except for Bernadetta and Ashe who are children for all time

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    The hat is bad

Hat House is best house