As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Ok, so those videos are saying to ignore deep core mining entirely? That's all I've been doing, so maybe that's what I've been completely wrong about?

If you enjoy deep core mining, then feel free to ignore them. Grinding for max cash is a trap.
    Did frontier ever implement any reasons to sell in open? Like in grand theft auto online, running the griefer gauntlet to sell my goods can earn me up to a 25% increase in payout. In Eve, venturing out into null sec introduces risks that are offset by the allure of greater profits. But the last time that I played Elite, selling in open introduces additional risk with no benefit whatsoever.

Usually the risk is really low for most of the bubble, but the high profit stations are Hotspots that draw players to them.

There is no penalty to playing in Solo, save the unbearable loneliness.
    But they have introduced the ability to rescue your npc crew, so there's now less reason for players to fear Open.

• Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    Ok, so those videos are saying to ignore deep core mining entirely? That's all I've been doing, so maybe that's what I've been completely wrong about?

I don't look for deep cores, I just go for fast high % roids, but I have the mining tool for deep cores for when I happen to come across them

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    That's not the right way to look at it. A boon for taking on additional risks isn't a penalty for avoiding risks.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Zerocz wrote: »
    But they have introduced the ability to rescue your npc crew, so there's now less reason for players to fear Open.

I won't lose my elite crew now?! Well that's great.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
      Yep!
      So, when you 'splode, it takes note of the location. When you come back you just look for a distress signal POI, and scoop up the escape pod there and lol nope that'd be too cool.

It's just another line on your rebuy screen. Elite npc crew will cost a little over 2 million to rebuy.

• Options
      TubeTube Registered User admin
      edited January 2020
      I’m am glad it’s a line on the rebuy screen

Tube on
    • Options
      Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
      Ahh reclaiming crew is pretty sweet. Especially if you have invested time finding and training a member you like. Granted they gain Xp quickly but still it’s nice to have this option.

• Options
      When selling a full load of diamonds, I feel physical pain when they're less than 1 million each. I should make a list of planets to search prices from outside the 200 ly bubble of my harvest spot. Any of you go to that much trouble when plotting your routes?

• Options
      BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
      edited January 2020
      Did frontier ever implement any reasons to sell in open? Like in grand theft auto online, running the griefer gauntlet to sell my goods can earn me up to a 25% increase in payout. In Eve, venturing out into null sec introduces risks that are offset by the allure of greater profits. But the last time that I played Elite, selling in open introduces additional risk with no benefit whatsoever.

Usually the risk is really low for most of the bubble, but the high profit stations are Hotspots that draw players to them.

Nope. Absolutely no incentive for Open at all. Except some of the thargoid events I don't give a fig about anyway.

EDIT: Well, besides it is (for me at least) a LOOOOOT more fun. Not even piracy, just in a group doing whatever.

Bigity on
    • Options
      EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
      Bigity wrote: »

Nope. Absolutely no incentive for Open at all. Except some of the thargoid events I don't give a fig about anyway.

EDIT: Well, besides it is (for me at least) a LOOOOOT more fun. Not even piracy, just in a group doing whatever.

not to mention they obliterated the sell prices for everything. It is much harder to make money now. certainly wouldnt want to risk getting pirated now.

• Options
      Enigmedic wrote: »

not to mention they obliterated the sell prices for everything. It is much harder to make money now. certainly wouldnt want to risk getting pirated now.

While I'm a bit peeved that this happened RIGHT as I got the itch to play again, unless the prices keep crashing I think that the mining profits may only be bad relative to the pre-crash prices. I remember originally unlocking my Anaconda. The best profits in the game came from bulk commodity trading with routes straddling Imperial space that could run both platinum and imperial slaves. I forget precisely what profits per ton you could expect back then, but I want to say that 1800 credits per ton was considered very good and 1500 per ton was closer to average. The Type 9 had not yet been buffed, and the cutter didn't yet exist. The rags to riches get rich quick path was running rare goods in haulers/cobras until you could start affording a Type-6 and later an ASP. Ideally you worked in Imperial space so that you could run a clipper instead of the abysmal type-7. The python and type-9 were next on the ladder, but some just grit their teeth and held out until the Anaconda which was the best trade ship in the game due to it having a vastly superior jump drive compared to the Type-9 and only marginally less cargo.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      eh if people making money easy then being able to do whatever they want gets people into the game that is better for everyone. the miners subreddit is basically filled with this fucking sucks fuck this game threads. new players trying it out would also be discouraged if they read that they have to do things the hard way, when people have been making tons of money easy for a year. It's kind of a "why the fuck do i have to derp around in an asp when people who started 2 weeks before me are cruising around in an anaconda?" That isn't a good new player experience. I think they overnerfed mining. Void opals probably didn't need to sell for 1.6m each, but they also shouldn't be selling for less than things you can laser mine, because core mining is a pain in the ass comparatively.

And for whatever reason diamonds are still selling for close to 900k each with a reasonable demand. The demand thing could be fine, but they need to really adjust the numbers, because right now they dont make sense.

• Options

Was that part of the Jan update?

• Options
      edited January 2020

While I'm a bit peeved that this happened RIGHT as I got the itch to play again, unless the prices keep crashing I think that the mining profits may only be bad relative to the pre-crash prices. I remember originally unlocking my Anaconda. The best profits in the game came from bulk commodity trading with routes straddling Imperial space that could run both platinum and imperial slaves. I forget precisely what profits per ton you could expect back then, but I want to say that 1800 credits per ton was considered very good and 1500 per ton was closer to average. The Type 9 had not yet been buffed, and the cutter didn't yet exist. The rags to riches get rich quick path was running rare goods in haulers/cobras until you could start affording a Type-6 and later an ASP. Ideally you worked in Imperial space so that you could run a clipper instead of the abysmal type-7. The python and type-9 were next on the ladder, but some just grit their teeth and held out until the Anaconda which was the best trade ship in the game due to it having a vastly superior jump drive compared to the Type-9 and only marginally less cargo.

You could smuggle (slaves and narcotics) back in the day to the right place at the right time and clear nearly 4k a ton/unit. But if you got scanned (and weren't rank 5 archon), that wiped out your profits basically.

Bigity on
    • Options

You could smuggle (slaves and narcotics) back in the day to the right place at the right time and clear nearly 4k a ton/unit. But if you got scanned (and weren't rank 5 archon), that wiped out your profits basically.

I'm talking about pre-power play. Archon didn't exist yet.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      Diamond mining was effected very little, prices have been lower than they are now many times

• Options
      IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
      I tried mining again after watching the videos posted earlier. Thanks for those! Armed with this new knowledge, I went out and mined about 450 tons of painite, which according to the tools suggested a gain of roughly 150 million. (I had right at 200 million at the time.) Seems the recent update has vastly adjusted prices, cause after hunting down a few spots, I could only get about half of that. Still, 70 million ain't bad at all for somewhere around 1-2 hours of work.

• Options
      if you laser mine diamonds at Borann you can sell those for about 900k a ton. I made a pretty solid 200 million last night in like an hour and a half.

• Options
      I'm halfway expecting a hotfix: "fixing supply/demand for low temperature diamonds"

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
      Sounds like I'm jumping towards Borann then.

• Options
      edited January 2020

It's A2 ring B, make sure you dive into the ring where the three hotspots overlap
      EDIT back up to nearly 1.2 million.

kralizecc on
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      kralizecc wrote: »

It's A2 ring B, make sure you dive into the ring where the three hotspots overlap

Is diamond mining the one with seismic charges or is it still regular mining?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        Both but they're referring to collecting the diamonds via lasers.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        TimFiji wrote: »
        kralizecc wrote: »

Is diamond mining the one with seismic charges or is it still regular mining?

The vast majority are mined with regular mining lasers, but if you have room you should also put a seismic charge launcher and abrasion blaster on there. You'll run across the occasional cored roid, which is a fun event to break what some folks find monotonous chore of regular mining.

• Options
        StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
        I finally played this game for a bit. eight hours I guess
        I got a nicer ship and had a ton of fun just flying around with the courier missions. Now to decide what to do next. maybe that Road to Reaches thing

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
        camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        What ship? How much $ do you have? If I were in your shoes, I'd look into deep core mining. The recent patch hurt prices, but you can still rack up millions in relatively short order.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
        I went with my gut and got a Viper Mk.III
        i forget how much money i have now, hehe

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
        camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        edited January 2020
        The viper can be a fun ship, but it is basically for combat only and is an exceptionally poor choice for the road to riches. Its jump drive is not good. Trade it in when you get the itch to do any exploration stuff.

General_Armchair on
        3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
        The viper can be a fun ship, but it is basically for combat only and is an exceptionally poor choice for the road to riches. Its jump drive is not good. Trade it in when you get the itch to do any exploration stuff.

Or just park it until you feel like blowing up stuff again. :)

5gsowHm.png
      • Options
        When you're starting out, holding onto all of your ships can tie up a lot of your capital in assets that aren't actively helping you progress. That can slow you down a lot. Especially if you're not bee-lining towards the most lucrative pursuits. Personally I advocate for liquidating the assets that you're not actively using so that you can maximize your capabilities with the ship that you're actively flying. The small ships are really easy to replace, you probably don't have engineered modules yet, and the small modules that the early ships use can be found at most every high tech system. Until you have a sizeable nest egg going, I think that holding on to all of your ships will just slow you down. I can understand maybe hanging onto a specific hull or two for sentimental reasons, but in that case I'd still recommend stripping her down to barebones for mothballing until you can come back once you're wealthy to fix it up with high end modules.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        Uh oh, diamonds are getting the axe tomorrow as well. Rip mining.

Ive been having some fun doing robigo missions though. I really need to grind out explorer elite to really take advantage of it though.

• Options
        Knew it.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        I dont really understand the change. Like making things more tedious will just drive people away from the game. Their microtransactions are all things to pimp your ship, you would think letting people get whichever ship they want easier would actually result in more money being spent to make them cooler.

Im already sitting at 1.5B so it isnt really hitting me too hard since i dont really care about the big 3 heavy ships. I have an fdl, my favorite ships right now are the kraits, and the ship I'm planning on getting next is the clipper when i grind a couple more ranks.

• Options
        CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
        Been a while since I got it, but switching over to VR is amazing. Highly recommend it.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
      • Options
        I don't have a huge pocket book. Only about 2 billion. Plus my ships. Probably enough money for me with the caveat of the uncertainty of fleet carrier costs. I'm gonna try out vr again but the mining nerfs kicked the wind out of my sails since I hate laser mining and get more enjoyment from core mining.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
        I don't have a huge pocket book. Only about 2 billion.

I have like 150 million to my name. :P

5gsowHm.png
      • Options
        TubeTube Registered User admin
        Supply and demand

• Options
        edited January 2020
        What about diamonds?

edit: nvm

Bigity on
      • Options
        Tube wrote: »
        Supply and demand

It's more like supply, because whatever the hell their algorithm does there is no demand.

• Options
        LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
        iyagoibuklqb.png

There... guess I'm done then. Finally got that elusive third combat Elite, after an indeterminate number of thargoid scouts out in the Pleiades that took me from 90% Deadly to Elite. This was my last goal in E:D, and after five years of playing I'm feeling pretty happy with what the game has given me over the years. Now, I think I'll unplug my joystick and see what happens with the coming patches. I'll log on again, I'm sure, but right now it feels good leaving the game (and to be honest, computer gaming at large since I don't really have the energy to play that much anymore) by actually fulfilling this goal. Feels like coming full circle in a way, since I think getting Elite in the original game as a kid many years ago was one of my earliest gaming memories.

Right on, commanders!

1ydlpxkmrcp5.png