As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    the dair upb combo out of the Belmonts is one of the most tilting ways to die in this game imo

raw usmash out of dash from ZSS is pretty up there too

I wonder if people hate dying to a high gordo or getting caught hanging on ledge by rocket hammer more

As a player I've rarely had it happen but is a 0SS out of shield/dash usmash as tilting as a flip kick down meteor or flip jump crit footstool?

Dspecial/Flip jump is easily my favorite move in the entire game

I haven't fought many ZSSs, but as I recall the handful of times I've been flipkick spiked I felt like either I or they deserved it. Though apparently she has a true confirm into it at certain percents and getting hit by that twice in a match would be super titling.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    the dair upb combo out of the Belmonts is one of the most tilting ways to die in this game imo

raw usmash out of dash from ZSS is pretty up there too

I wonder if people hate dying to a high gordo or getting caught hanging on ledge by rocket hammer more

As a player I've rarely had it happen but is a 0SS out of shield/dash usmash as tilting as a flip kick down meteor or flip jump crit footstool?

Dspecial/Flip jump is easily my favorite move in the entire game

I haven't fought many ZSSs, but as I recall the handful of times I've been flipkick spiked I felt like either I or they deserved it. Though apparently she has a true confirm into it at certain percents and getting hit by that twice in a match would be super titling.

It's difficult because the spike hitbox is tiny compared to the launch hitbox and the timing has to be perfect, which is why you dont even see guys like Marss doing it all the time.

But man, when you hear that chime and just see a trail of blue *pounds chest*

The trues are usually the short range spikes, like a nair at the ledge, side throw, uthrow/uair, etc. Mostly it's an opportunistic move, like hitting someone mid air with the paralyzer off stage

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Put Tony Hawk in Smash you cowards.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    While this Fire Emblem character they just announced isn't my cup of tea, I'm happy for fans of the series. I mean, I really liked getting Banjo/Kazooie in, but I'm sure there are people who have zero affinity for them, so it's all a wash in the end.
    As well, it seems like Sakurai wanted them in, and the guy has worked his butt off making this series, so I'm okay with him specifically getting a pick.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I can kinda understand why people are upset, it can feel like the coach's kid starting a position when they're not even the best one on the team, but I do concede that Sakurai has put some serious goddamned effort into this so whatever.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That statement makes no sense. Three Houses is going to be the best-selling game in the series, beating Fates...which in turn had beat prior best-seller Awakening. No other game in the series comes even close to those three, so it shouldn’t be terribly surprising that all three have characters in Smash.

It’s also critically acclaimed and got some awards under its belt. I get being disappointed because it’s predictable or not of interest to you, but acting like it doesn’t belong in the game is like getting mad whenever they add a pokémon. It’s just a given to see the latest mainline Fire Emblem get their protagonist in, much like how I bet one of the six fighters in DLC Pack #2 is gonna to be one of the Gen 8 starter pokemon.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    They can have their Fire Emblem and Pokemon. I just think Smash is long overdue for a new Zelda character that isn’t another Link.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, we need one more Zelda and two more Ganondorfs!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I mean if I'm being honest, after putting in some hours they're fun to play against but yeah, they kind of feel completely out of place to me and if it were my call I wouldn't miss them if they were gone tbh.

It's not, though, so I had to spend an extremely disproportionate amount of time learning how to fight them (Especially Lucina) compared to just about every other character aside from Palutena. When they're that simple to control but also that powerful it feels really bad... that's theres so many and then you find out it's the creators favorite game and suddenly you have to remind yourself to have fun until you can take them on... because yeah, often playing against them is not fun. Especially for new people.

Not nearly as bad as Hero, mind, but they were probably the major reason I stopped playing this game for a few months.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    Yeah, we need one more Zelda and two more Ganondorfs!

Urbosa or any of the four guardians, any of the dozens of bosses that exist.

• Options
    When they announced echo fighters I though that meant there would be a lot more, since they gave that kind of fighter a name. Yet there were surprisingly few. Impa as an echo for Sheik or Groose for Ganondorf make too much sense.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Give me SMB2 Wart or give me death.

• Options

Triclyde!

• Options

I’m not in disagreement but how about at least in Mario Kart? I mean jeez.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Is it wrong to want Ravio?

Maybe he’s more of an assist trophy

Enlong on
  • Options
    Smash is long overdue for a new Zelda character that isn’t another Link.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Is it wrong to want Ravio?

Yes.
    ;)

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    They can have their Fire Emblem and Pokemon. I just think Smash is long overdue for a new Zelda character that isn’t another Link.

gotcha, one wolf link coming right away

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

amaterasu echo?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It's a shame we'll never see a From Software entry.

Sif from DS1 would be awesome. Or Crossbreed Priscilla

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    :-

Very clever. I would absolutely accept that if it came with Midna.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It's a shame we'll never see a From Software entry.

Sif from DS1 would be awesome. Or Crossbreed Priscilla

Hustler One's AC, Nine-ball
    sh3ghxfhydmz.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-0JqrAnec

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    :-

Very clever. I would absolutely accept that if it came with Midna.

Well that sounds more like an echo for Duck Hunt Dog.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    That statement makes no sense. Three Houses is going to be the best-selling game in the series, beating Fates...which in turn had beat prior best-seller Awakening. No other game in the series comes even close to those three, so it shouldn’t be terribly surprising that all three have characters in Smash.

It’s also critically acclaimed and got some awards under its belt. I get being disappointed because it’s predictable or not of interest to you, but acting like it doesn’t belong in the game is like getting mad whenever they add a pokémon. It’s just a given to see the latest mainline Fire Emblem get their protagonist in, much like how I bet one of the six fighters in DLC Pack #2 is gonna to be one of the Gen 8 starter pokemon.

Yeah, I may not particularly like Fire Emblem, but as long as characters are not cloney I don't really mind simply because Fire Emblem sells like hotcakes.

Plus, there's an advantage for Pokemon and FE getting characters that I kinda realized when talking to some friends: both Pokemon and Fire Emblem just, keep making new characters. Like, Zelda is always about Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, with everyone else being in an extremely secondary role 90% of the time (and I don't say 100% of the time because Midna exists, and TP is as much about Midna as about Link, but everything else? Other characters are background). But Pokemon is always about new mons, and FE has brand new protagonists every time. This makes them easier to include than trying to finagle, say, more Metroid reps, or more Zelda reps, or whatever.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I think I've posted this before, but it feels like it's been long enough that everyone's forgotten it: a major B-move revision for Ganondorf to make him more "dark wizard" and call back to his abilities from the Ganon boss fights.

Neutral B: Dark Ball - After a brief wind-up, throws out a ball of darkness. Any A-move (Ganondorf's or an opponent's) will reflect the ball, increasing its damage and speed. Good think Ganondorf has that quick, dismissive palm-slap for a neutral A, eh? For bonus points, reuse the Wizard's Fist animation in its entirety for the throw, assuming Sakurai wouldn't rather move it to Ganondorf's f-smash.
    Side B: Double-Edged Trident - Hold to charge up the whirling trident that Ganon typically throws at Link, making it fly farther out from him. Individual hits don't do much damage, but if you catch the enemy on the backswing, it can drag them toward Ganondorf himself for some follow-up hits.
    Up B: Agahnim's Lightning - Ganondorf hurls a branching lightning bolt straight down, propelling himself upward. The higher up you use this attack, the more the lightning can spread out, increasing the chance of hitting an enemy.
    Down B: Fiery Keese - Produces up to three fiery bats that spin around Ganondorf, depending on how long you hold down the button. After releasing, they choose the nearest enemy and fly straight at them, as happens in Link to the Past.

The end result of this is that Ganondorf practically winds up being more of a "Gunner" type, making up for poor mobility with the ability to bury the enemy in projectiles.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, attempting to think realistically about new characters -- they'd need to be popular enough (well, popular in some region, at least) to justify their creation and sale. So probably not Triclyde. :P

A new Pokemon's probably a lock. The Ubisoft Mii costumes might point to Rayman, maybe Rabbid Peach. Dante would definitely qualify -- if the new characters are already in development the voice actor might have already done his work. Who else... maybe Steve from Minecraft? Was there something to those Doomguy rumors? Ryu from Ninja Gaiden? Someone from Tekken, finally? Crash Bandicoot?

It would be hilarious if the very last character put into Smash was Waluigi.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I know we just have so many Mario universe characters already, but I really just want some form of toad in the game. Waluigi is a close second for me as well.

Beyond that I will never let go of the desire for Mike Jones.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    If anything Mike Jones will at least make Japanese players go, "who?" like Western players did for Joker, Hero, and Terry.

• Options
    I don't speak for all but I definitely knew who Terry Bogart was

• Options
    So did I. :(

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

...Bogard.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

...Bogard.

Is it really?

*google*

It sure is

Welp, I guess that means I never knew he was in fatal fury

• Options

I'm still amazed that Mei didn't make it into SSBU instead of Terry. Just, absolutely flabbergasted.

• Options

I'm still amazed that Mei didn't make it into SSBU instead of Terry. Just, absolutely flabbergasted.

You mean Mai?

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    For Zelda reps I still really really want Vaati, based on his Minish Cap appearance. For my top 5 still wanted:

1. Vaati
    2. Toad (regular or Captain Toad, I just want some version of playable Toad)
    3. Geno
    4. Crono (never gonna happen, licensing of Chrono Trigger characters is apparently a goddamn nightmare, but I can dream)
    5. Ryu Hayabusa

• Options
    edited January 2020
    If anything Mike Jones will at least make Japanese players go, "who?" like Western players did for Joker, Hero, and Terry.

Mike Jones would make most everyone say "who?", I'd wager. I'd be surprised if anyone under the age of 25 has any idea what Startropics even is (I sure didn't until I just googled it).

That's not to count them out entirely, of course. The same was true of Pit when they got reinvented for Brawl. But that seems like something a lot less likely to happen for a DLC character versus one in the base roster.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Hm, you could ask me every day and I’d change my mind, but right now I think these two characters would be great additions for Zelda reps:

Dethl, the final boss of Link’s Awakening. They’re a shadowy shape-shifting nightmare that can appear as any other boss in the game as well as their own unique shape. I’m thinking heavy but fast too.
    ge3p6nff4c4q.png

Next I’d like the King of Hyrule (particular name unimportant, I guess Rhoam from BotW). A heavy fighter, with a few spells thrown in. Gotta have the glider too.
    6mi0lyhbsmmg.png

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There's always Tingle. Hey, the guy starred in his own games!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

You mean Mai?

That's what I said.

Mui.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There's always Tingle. Hey, the guy starred in his own games!

Hyrule Warriors whole schtick is sitting right there.

(I kind of hate Hyrule Warriors for being ten times shittier than it should have been)

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    For a character that might actually happen, if Capcom decides they want it, I'd actually rather like to get a proper Monster Hunter rep.

But Drascin, you might say, Hunters are just faceless Insert-your-character dudes with weapons, they wouldn't add shit to the roster. And I know that! But there's something that is even more emblematic of Monster Hunter than the Hunters, and that is the cats. Felynes have been in every monster hunter game, including the spinoff where there aren't even Hunters.

And to make things better, during the DS versions of the games, they added the ability to actually play as one of the cats (Prowler mode), with a full moveset that translates almost with no thought to Smash. Prowler fits the tone of Smash, is a perfect advertising for the series, and is very easy to implement, while giving a bunch of options for interesting mechanics if desired, and they became playable on Nintendo consoles to boot!

So yeah, Prowler for Smash, please.

Steam ID: Right here.