As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    I am questioning all of my paint scheme ideas now. I'm screwed.

Not really but questioning what you did is something all do

I haven't even started any of the projects.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I've never painted stuff on sprue for sub assemblies or anything.

I've got a sprue of citadel skulls that I've primed for use on various bases. Once they're painted and clipped off do I just slap a little paint on the bald patch or do I need to hit it with primer first or anything?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am questioning all of my paint scheme ideas now. I'm screwed.

Not really but questioning what you did is something all do

I haven't even started any of the projects.

I felt I ruined my kill team primaris when I did them night lords blue since I did not have a plan when I started I was just winging it. But it's still a process that is coming along.
    Generally I have the whole time I have painted just winged it as I went since I either had no idea how it was originally done. The system GW used for years was vague as they skipped steps and did not fully explain what they did
    I know it's daunting to paint minis and feel you messed up

Khraul wrote: »

I've got a sprue of citadel skulls that I've primed for use on various bases. Once they're painted and clipped off do I just slap a little paint on the bald patch or do I need to hit it with primer first or anything?

It's one of those odd things I find on ebay people priming on the sprue {a bunch of wraithguard I got were primed on the sprue a few had parts started} So That is why I did them all with CC weapons I still have a bunch more to do but I need to figure out how to store them first.

It's a tiny spot just do a small basecoat and see how it turns out as sometimes you can just do the highlight

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Holy fuck assembly line painting is the most soul-crushing garbage

I just listen to music or something

I just paint over it and clean it up a bit so it isn't noticeable.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

Well yeah, I do too, but daaaaamn it doesn't really help.

For batch painting I usually fire up a tv show on Netflix that I kind of want to watch, but not enough that I want to give it 100% of my attention.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I still feel good about the Maliwan paint scheme for my Tau but I'm no longer confident about the fluorescent paint scheme for my Skaven or the candy metallic finish for my Necrons.

I'm so indecisive.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    For batch painting I usually fire up a tv show on Netflix that I kind of want to watch, but not enough that I want to give it 100% of my attention.

I usually paint during live Giantbomb podcasts and their streams where watching doesnt really matter. Podcasts are pretty good for batch painting

steam_sig.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Pig Knights on the warpath!
    warpig_knights.jpg
    warpig_knights_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    More progress on Ripper. Still needs his hat and a bunch of detailing.
    dpbsjw12vez1.jpg

When working with resin minis... I need to scrub them before I start clipping stuff off the sprue or after? I assume before? I've never built a resin mini before...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    The scrubbing is to get mold release off, so before or after doesn't really matter. I find it easier when everything is still on the sprue.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    When working with resin minis... I need to scrub them before I start clipping stuff off the sprue or after? I assume before? I've never built a resin mini before...

I prefer to do it while they are on the sprue so stuff isn't slipping around but it honestly doesn't matter what order you do it in. I've glued them together and then scrubbed them as well.

Excellent.. thank you both.

Gonna take a crack at this silly resin Eisenhorn model this week I think.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    My two-cents is to scrub resin after simply because I often need to file down a lot of vents and mold-lines.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Do you need to scrub them before gluing them together? I would say yes as the necrons did not want to stay together until I washed them
    And for if you fill in the gaps?

I would say its easier to scrub before putting them together, so you can get all the angles that might be hard to reach once constructed.

steam_sig.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I would say its easier to scrub before putting them together, so you can get all the angles that might be hard to reach once constructed.

It's probably not a good idea to glue them unwashed anyway, as then the glue is trying to adhere to the mold release agant, a substance specifically designed so that nothing sticks to it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Starting an Order of the Sacred Rose army. Almost done my Canoness.

oei5ne7hsehl.jpeg
    cqznpft54m7g.jpeg

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Sat down and did some painting yesterday. Neither is perfect by far but both are showing that I'm improving. I decided against shading either of these as they have a lot of metallic colors that I wanted to shine.

First is a dwarf I made from a website called Eldrich Foundry. They don't have a ton of options or anything like hero forge and the plastic was not great. It was "pre-primed" and I scrubbed the crap out of it, but it still had this grainy texture to it that I think you can see in the photos. Supposedly they no longer use this plastic and I say good riddance.

I'm still having issues with faces, but with the dwarf I dry brushed some grey into the beard and I think it helped add some definition to it

Second mini I really like. I got it from Games Workshop just for stopping in (and spending a large amount of money) I have no idea what this guy is suppose to look like but I'm really proud of how I got the details on this one. I need to touch up the shoulder decal (I got some bronze on the silver part) and some of the green needs a second coat but I am really happy with it overall.

https://imgur.com/a/DQKGhXi

Bucketman on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I actually grabbed 2 of the Contrast paints this past weekend. The wife and I were up on the other side of Chicago and swung by the GamesWorkshop store in Palatine, Illinois. They had a good selection and the dude was super helpful and friendly (oddly enough he use to run the Orland Park location and has helped me several times in the past). He recommended I give the contract paints a try.

Yeah, Mike is absolutely amazing. Nothing helps build a good community more than having an engaged, legitimately enthusiastic store manager supporting it all. (@dr_keenbean - he's the one who ended up with your Bloodbowl set to assist the league and run store games).

Well yeah, I do too, but daaaaamn it doesn't really help.

You have to figure out how to break it down into something tolerable. When I did those 24 Kasrkin last year, it was batches of 6 - 4 lasguns, 2 special weapons, enough variety to keep me from hating it.

Meanwhile, 20 years ago, I painted 100+ gaunts and still throw up in my mouth a little if I think about painting another one.

*edit*
    Speaking of the distant past, if anyone remembers my facepalm command tank from about 4 years ago, I've finally taken it off the 'maybe I will do it tomorrow' spot on my desk, and set to work finishing it.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    So I've got an idea for basing my tzeentch daemons but I need opinions on execution. I ordered a batch of pigments for a project for my son and they came with a whole pack of glow in the dark ones that he doesn't want. They include a bunch that are very tzeentch color pallette blue/pink/purple.

To go for a multi-hued ash waste desert kind of look using vallejo white pumice (cuz I happen to have a huge tub of it sitting here) am I better off mixing pigment directly with the pumice to tint it, or basing and using a medium like liquitex or lahmian medium to make the pigment into a wash and spray/paint it onto the pumice once it's set?

I guess basically I need to know if it's possible to tint vallejo white pumice effectively?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    There is a kickstarter going that is making dropper tops for GW paint bottles. I'm kind of interested.
    Is this the one you're talking about?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/droptop/droptop-by-drtabletop

They still have 39 days to go and are at almost 3x funding target. I'm definitely interested, because just finding it a PitA to transfer GW paint to my wet palette in general is why I thin, mix, and paint from the pot for basic stuff, and vastly prefer vallejo for air brushing.

There is a kickstarter going that is making dropper tops for GW paint bottles. I'm kind of interested.
    Is this the one you're talking about?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/droptop/droptop-by-drtabletop

They still have 39 days to go and are at almost 3x funding target. I'm definitely interested, because just finding it a PitA to transfer GW paint to my wet palette in general is why I thin, mix, and paint from the pot for basic stuff, and vastly prefer vallejo for air brushing.

Yea, that is the one. I wasn't sure if I could post the kickstarter or not.

I'm also very interested in this, it would make s lot of things easier with using GW pots and not wasting paint.

They changed the size of the Air paint pot to be more like the wash pots {the tall one}

Still I want to get an airbrush to do larger projects and basecoats

Oh man... I've been burned by kickstarters in that past and largely gave up on the concept entirely

But I might have to get in on some of those toppers.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Oh man... I've been burned by kickstarters in that past and largely gave up on the concept entirely

Sounds like they are going to do retail after, and it looks like unless you go fully in, you are paying msrp anyways....

steam_sig.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I just painted a funnel and bought some 14ml dropper bottles on amazon. Easy enough. Only have done it to Khorne Red and Retributor Armor, as they were drying up in the GW pots a bit and I use them a lot.

Still, just being able to pop a top on the GW pots is a nice idea. Surprised there's not a STL for it already.

It's got all the hallmarks of being a successful one, aside from already blowing past the funding goal.

Straight forward, fully realized idea along with understanding actual production requirements. The while scope is very reasonable.

No parade of stretch goals that completely wreck things when the Kickstarter gets hot, because suddenly all those pie in the sky ideas need to be produced.

The understanding that shipping costs money. :rotate: That seems to bite projects in the ass surprisingly often.

This project feeds my laziness just the right amount. Rebottling and labeling all my paints was always more than I could be arsed to do, but just swapping lids? That I can get behind!

I rebottled a bunch of paints and it was kind of a pain. Took too long and there was still a tiny bit of paint in the pot which made it feel like it was costing me money.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I've bottled a bunch of gw paints and had it go alright, you just gotta make sure you have a air gap on your funnel so the paint drains through it at a decent speed. The labels peel off and restick to dropper bottles pretty well as long as you plan for the overlap.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, it's not a 'oh god, the weight of this daily struggle of transferring paint is crushing to me!' but that this is something that gives me something I'd want with a great deal of convenience.

It's a lot like the GW paint handles. I still hear people kvetching, 'drones paying GW for something you can get for free with a pill bottle and some duck tape.' but the utility and usefulness I got for a one time investment of $12 made it an almost no brainer for me.

The final set of the green stuff world colorshift paints I bought arrive today. I'm stoked but also still wrecked for painting so I have no idea what I can do with them.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thanks for bringing that kickstarter to my attention. I didn't WANT to spend so much but I was looking to buy a bunch of agitators anyway so I guess I'm getting 40 toppers (more then I need) and 50 agitators.

I think I've given up on the idea of painting my Skaven's armor and robes with fluorescent paint. I can't imagine it looking good anymore.

My wife wanted us to repaint and move around some stuff in our den this week. Finally gave me an excuse to completely reorganize my desk and my painting area. Still needs a bit of organizing, and now I've got my endless waves of grey plastic right in front of me as a reminder to paint more, but it's done and i'm pretty happy with it.

xgax0g60lhft.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So for a while now I haven't been wanting to play my holy grail copy of the StarCraft board game, because I painted all the miniatures and the spray varnish came out very tacky, and no solution has proved permanent. There's just some reaction that makes it so anything I put on there eventually reverts back to a soft, tacky grossness that damages the paint.

Well I finally did some proper investigating and found a solution! Testors makes a brush-on dullcote, which isn't commonly available in my area but was pretty cheap off the internet.

Good news: it has completely and reliably solved the tackiness issue, and the miniatures are really handle-able and protected-feeling.

Bad news: using a brush-on varnish is incredibly tedious and makes me feel like a primitive.

Worse news: The lacquer-based varnish is safe when used as an aerosol spray, but when brushed on, the prolonged dry time makes the stuff essentially a solvent for the paintjob underneath, so until it dries completely, the underlying coats of paint are incredibly easy to destroy. You also have to be very delicate and thoughtful when applying it.

Weird news?: Some of the paint on the miniatures ends up crackling under the dullcote no matter what... but I think I'm actually fine with it? The StarCraft miniatures aren't exactly the most detailed and stylish ever made, and particularly the zerg minis are in desperate need of a little extra texture, which the crackle supplies.

BloodySloth on