As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    This has been several pages about Pokemon games that aren't even on the Switch. There is a Pokemon thread, yes?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I got burnt on the staleness of 'Mon. I tried Sun/Moon, which did nothing for me, and so I passed on Sword/Shield. I guess you could say I need that BotW reimagining from the ground up, and now I'm spoiled.

I want to be excited for Animal Crossing but there is practically no new information to be dug on that front. I know it won't be what BotW did for Zelda, but I'm still holding out hope it's something new from New Leaf. Im surprised they aren't allowing any previews to start seeping out into the internet.

earthwormadam on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I got burnt on the staleness of 'Mon. I tried Sun/Moon, which did nothing for me, and so I passed on Sword/Shield. I guess you could say I need that BotW reimagining from the ground up, and now I'm spoiled.

I want to be excited for Animal Crossing but there is practically no new information to be dug on that front. I know it won't be what BotW did for Zelda, but I'm still holding out hope it's something new from New Leaf. Im surprised they aren't allowing any previews to start seeping out into the internet.

I very much agree on the Animal Crossing front. I feel like I can get what I want out of AC on any of the various versions I already own. They will really have to do something new to pull me in again.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Uhh well there's crafting and building now. I feel like that alone makes it different from all the other ones

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I haven't bought/played a Pokemon game since Red/Blue on the GB. Looks like I haven't missed much.

Pokemon has gotten SO much better since blue, honestly. Like, the formula is the same, but as someone who was there for Blue, holy shit I would kick myself in the dick rather than go back to RBY.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I got to play a bit of the Luigi Mansion multiplayer minigames. They're neat, but not too great, except for maybe the pool coin collecting one. This is based on one night and a few plays of each, so maybe with time they'd get better, but first impression was rhe following.
    The ghost capture one might be the most balanced, but if you are playing new people with people who've played before, the ghost capturing mechanic and small, crowded area don't make it easy to move around or capture quickly. The big ghosts seem to be so late that you'd need a perfect placement to capture one before time runs out.
    The cannonball one looks fun, but can easily end up one sided. The function of grabbing cannonballs and shooting them is fun, but fighting ghosts or having them stolen can lead to some rough games. The ghosts will lopside one side with cannonballs, meaning the other team won't have anything to shoot or will have to walk a long distance to try and bring some back. During which the other team can try and steal them too. The gold targets also can lead to a quick lead for one side and the other side won't have the option to catch up.
    The pool coin grab was fun. Learning to steer takes a game or two, but once you get it then it's pretty fun to try and avoid mines, or run the other players into them. The only downside to this game is that the last 5-10 seconds have so many mines it turns into a game of survival or lose. If you get hit, the other team can easily steal all the coins and you won't have time to try and get them back.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I very much agree on the Animal Crossing front. I feel like I can get what I want out of AC on any of the various versions I already own. They will really have to do something new to pull me in again.

Yeah at this point it's not really on my radar as one to buy unless reviews and info of what's there is particularly awesome.

I have some friends who adore the series and are all excitedly waiting for it, I'm sure being able to place anything anywhere including outside will be great as a creative outlet, but for me I was disappointed to see them go back to the same well again.

Even down to the rolling world viewpoint. To me, seeing that again is emblematic of all of their design decisions for the game. Iterate, don't innovate. To me the rolling world was a concession specifically made for the DS, where they wanted to show presents floating by in the sky on the top screen for you to shoot down. Then...they carried it through to every iteration since, even when it no longer makes sense in that gameplay context.

It's cliche to say now but yeah, give it Breath of the Wild's camera or something. Or even go back to the original and make it top down, use Link's Awakening's engine.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2020
    Meh not every game needs a Breath of the Wild treatment. Zelda has been around since the mid 80s with around 25 releases. It needed it to breathe some life into it. (Although I'm such a Zelda whore that I would buy every Zelda game regardless of how it plays)

urahonky on
    And honestly I don't want every Zelda to be a big BotW shakeup? Like BotW was a pretty cool game, had a ton of fun with it, and actually managed to be fun despite being open world, but I do not want all Zeldas to be like this in the future!

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Axen wrote: »
    I haven't bought/played a Pokemon game since Red/Blue on the GB. Looks like I haven't missed much.

I buy em, I play em, I typically enjoy them but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think were a bit stale.

Their glorious console debut would've been a good chance to really breath new life in to things. A bit disappointed they didn't. Mind you, they never said they would.

I look forward to Temtem now.

The only Pokémon I ever finished was X/Y - I really wanted to like Sword/Shield, but it just felt so generic during the opening hours that I abandoned it.

If you want some Pokémon, it’s damn good about making that smooth and easy and pretty. But that formula isn’t really enough for me, I guess, because my drop off was steep. Just trailed off somewhere in the Wild Area.

OneAngryPossum on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    And honestly I don't want every Zelda to be a big BotW shakeup? Like BotW was a pretty cool game, had a ton of fun with it, and actually managed to be fun despite being open world, but I do not want all Zeldas to be like this in the future!

I do and don't. I have only played about 10 hours so far of it. I like the dungeons and most of the combat {I don't like the trick spamming stuff I see people post} but I liked BotW just some of the stuff I did not like.

Axen wrote: »

I buy em, I play em, I typically enjoy them but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think were a bit stale.

Their glorious console debut would've been a good chance to really breath new life in to things. A bit disappointed they didn't. Mind you, they never said they would.

I look forward to Temtem now.

The only Pokémon I ever finished was X/Y - I really wanted to like Sword/Shield, but it just felt so generic during the opening hours that I abandoned it.

If you want some Pokémon, it’s damn good about making that smooth and easy and pretty. But that formula isn’t really enough for me, I guess, because my drop off was steep. Just trailed off somewhere in the Wild Area.

I agree about Sword Shield. But I was far more disappointed in Sun/moon. I feel Pokémon needs to stop being so liner Still do a chain but open it up more. Even if it's I have a choice of doing one of three gyms in any order to move on but you have to do all the gyms in time to do the league. So if I want to make a b line right for the haunted stuff to get poison and ghost pokemon so be it

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Yeah, that's kinda the point I was making. I don't want all Animal Crossings to be like they've been in the future.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Yeah, that's kinda the point I was making. I don't want all Animal Crossings to be like they've been in the future.

bd96w1avm9u9.jpg
    How so?

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I think he was saying they don't need to keep the rolling world viewpoint. They should mix it up now and then with overhead or third person view (like OoT/BotW) games.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I always enjoyed the rolling world, but I can def see that point. I'm not sure how they would shake up viewpoint but the series feels stagnant.

Also how they do online is going to interesting. AC has always been clunky to join with friends so I'm waiting to see how they do that. (Coming from someone who was unwilling to pony up for subscription service and instead just stopped playing Splatoon2 all together)

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I have never played an animal crossing.
    I uh, don't really get it

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

you hang out with your cute dumb animal friends in a weird small town and collect different collectibles.
    you get money by playing minigames, and everything shuffles daily to give you different items/neighbors/events.

it's basically stardew valley only you don't farm or romance as much.

It's the perfect chill game. The music, the animals, and the chores. It's an easy game to play 10 minutes of or 2 hours of.

edited January 2020

To quote Jim Sterling, "It's the ultimate power fantasy. No, you're not walking around with a sword, or flinging spells about - as an adult, there is no fantasy more powerful than being able to wake up in the morning, knowing that you can make a difference in your town, that you can pay off your mortgage with fruit, and that one of your most pressing concerns is making sure you're in time to watch a dog play a beautiful tune on an acoustic guitar" :P.

More seriously, basically, it's a relaxation game, you make your little town, go fishing, decorate, build. All with no real time crunch, just expressing yourself.

Drascin on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The original Animal Crossing basically popularized having tasks in a game that you can only do so many times before you have to wait till the next day to do them some more, basically making it the grandfather of mobile, MMO, and GaaS games that do that nowadays (the difference between those and AC though is AC is offline so you can cheat very easily via not saving and/or changing the clock).

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Man, poor Byleth. She didn't deserve all the Smash hate (although I agree we didn't need more sword FE people)

4xdbc9djh35h.png

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Does anyone remember Dragon Force on the Sega Saturn? Is Langrisser like Dragon Force? Because if it is, that’s a day one sale for me.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    LD50 wrote: »

For folks that don't replay games this is actually a huge reason why games staying similar to their roots just with some updates is actually super good for many people.

Because it means the last time they got to experience that particular kind of gameplay was when the last game came out.

And the only way they will *ever* have that kind of experience again is if they make another game that feels similar.

It's one of the reasons that I thought BotW was a great game but a disappointing Zelda. Because the last game following the Zelda formula for me was back in 2011. So it's now been 9 years since I've had that experience. And who knows how much longer it will be before I have that experience again. That's a REALLY long time to go without having that particular experience.

I legit miss that feeling of a Zelda because it's been almost a third of my entire life since I've felt that(just realizing this now). That's insane!

DemonStacey on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

bd96w1avm9u9.jpg
    How so?

I feel like other than camera complaints, which I share with Sporky, it looks like they've changed stuff up enough this time around to keep my interest up. The gameplay loop looks changed. You're not just paying off your house, from what we've been shown, it looks like you're building up your entire town from zero, crafting furniture from materials you gather..frankly it looks a lot like a Lost In Blue or other survival title the likes of which that have gained popularity lately, mashed up with Animal Crossing, and I'm here for it.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    https://kotaku.com/dad-builds-custom-xbox-adaptive-controller-so-daughter-1841098866

Xbox’s Adaptive Controller has done some amazing things as far as accessibility in video games goes, but the setup isn’t hard-wired to only work on a Microsoft console. It can, with a little work, also run on the Nintendo Switch, and in doing so bring an enormous smile to a little girl’s face.

Rory Steel built this custom pad for his daughter, who has been itching to play some Zelda along with her friends, and it’s fantastic.

Put those onions away before I slap you.

Also anyone else getting ideas from this?

Like a full cockpit setup for Daemon X? Or a flight setup?

This+ Labo+ arts and crafts = a literal spaceship to play Starfox in.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/dad-builds-custom-xbox-adaptive-controller-so-daughter-1841098866

Xbox’s Adaptive Controller has done some amazing things as far as accessibility in video games goes, but the setup isn’t hard-wired to only work on a Microsoft console. It can, with a little work, also run on the Nintendo Switch, and in doing so bring an enormous smile to a little girl’s face.

Rory Steel built this custom pad for his daughter, who has been itching to play some Zelda along with her friends, and it’s fantastic.

Don't worry, I already cried watching this last night.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Don't worry, I already cried watching this last night.

Too late, you get slaps! Slaps for everyone!

https://youtu.be/AjXooH2tokY

camo_sig2.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I forgot all about Panzer Dragoon! Why is it so far away???

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Does anyone remember Dragon Force on the Sega Saturn? Is Langrisser like Dragon Force? Because if it is, that’s a day one sale for me.

Not even in the slightest. Langrisser is essentially Fire Emblem, but with different window dressing. The main difference being that every unit gets a team of subunits that (are supposed to) follow them around, but the only real difference between a main and subunit is that the main units have a name and are stronger. You could turn one into the other with nothing but number tweaks. Dragon Force is more like... Ogre Battle plus a Brownian Motion simulator.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info! I saw a few images of Langrisser that reminded me of Dragon Force so I thought I’d ask.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who played it back in the day.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh right, we may or may not be getting a Direct soon, now that the Pokemon and Smash stuff is out of the way.

I'm so damn hyped for BotW 2 I can't see straight.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Brainleech wrote: »

bd96w1avm9u9.jpg
    How so?

I feel like other than camera complaints, which I share with Sporky, it looks like they've changed stuff up enough this time around to keep my interest up. The gameplay loop looks changed. You're not just paying off your house, from what we've been shown, it looks like you're building up your entire town from zero, crafting furniture from materials you gather..frankly it looks a lot like a Lost In Blue or other survival title the likes of which that have gained popularity lately, mashed up with Animal Crossing, and I'm here for it.

Man... now you’ve got me reminiscing about Lost in Blue. I fell in love with that game. You really felt you had earned every little achievement in that as you slowly unlocked the game.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I would not mind Lost In Blue/Survival Kids coming to Switch at all. Might have to pull the DS games off the shelf soon.
    Speaking of semi-forgotten gems, I hope they revisit the Endless Ocean series someday again, too.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Seeing that graphic just reminded me that Deadly Premonition 2 is a thing being made and I'm very happy about that.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    My joycons ran out of battery mid Ring Fit workout today. Had to stop to let them charge.

The future sucks.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My joycons ran out of battery mid Ring Fit workout today. Had to stop to let them charge.

The future sucks.

Hey, the game tells you to not forget to keep the joycons charged after a workout. So technically you were warned. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

The future sucks.

Hey, the game tells you to not forget to keep the joycons charged after a workout. So technically you were warned. :)

Oh, so you have to FINISH a workout to get that warning? BS!

camo_sig2.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    If anyone is in the mood for a rogue lite dungeon crawler, absolutely give Children of Morta a look. Such a fun, charming game.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I'm sending my joy cons off to Nintendo tomorrow to fix the drift. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering how long it'll take, if it fixes the issue, etc.

Steam: offday