As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Seriously though I'm really happy for Roxanne, she made it back into the UFC and convincingly beat a contender
    She's arguably better now than she was when she left

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Maycee nooooooooooooo!

Good for roxanne though.

Booo Connor.

But I want to point to that fight for anyone who used to tell me shoulder strikes aren't worth it. If you've got the right shoulders they damn well are!

I've been about the shoulder strikes for a long god damn time.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    If any of you heard a really load groan, it was the collective exasperation of martial artists that clinch in sparring realizing that everyone's going to be trying shoulder strikes this week.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Hey, a question for you guys

I'm considering attending a krav maga class with some coworkers who've been bugging me for a year now(one amateur and one who is an instructor) and they've recommended I get some MMA-style gloves. On the other side, my local gym has a couple of heavy bags that don't really see a crowd, and I like using them for cardio and training.

I own no gloves - what should I get? Something like a pair of 12-oz boxing gloves, and then a pair of 8-oz MMA gloves? I've been told I will look stupid working a heavy bag with MMA gloves. Any cheap recommendations for someone not 100% invested in the hobby? I already own handwraps, you don't wrap your hands for the MMA gloves, right?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You probably want to wrap your hands any time you are performing power strikes a surface that offers meaningful resistance (e.g., a heavy bag). You might be able to get away with no wraps against a soft target with a lot of give, but once you start doing heavy bag work then you need to be wrapping or you risk doing damage to your hands and wrists. Think of wraps as a way to "lock in" the alignment of your fist - a proper wrap helps to prevent a poor or particularly heavy strike from, among other things, causing your fingers to dig into your palms or causing your wrist to bend. It also helps to maintain proper structure in the first place, which again helps to prevent injury.

Once you have the wraps on, anything beyond that is to help protect the wrap itself from superficial damage such as tearing (or just from getting dirty in general). I would strongly question the expertise of someone who tells you that striking a heavy bag with MMA gloves makes you look stupid. How you "look" matters fuck all. What matters is your safety and proper training. You can 100% use MMA gloves on a bag. The important thing is that you are wrapping first. If you aren't wrapping, the outer glove really doesn't matter and only serves to prevent your skin from tearing or getting scratched. It will not offer any meaningful injury prevention otherwise, and in fact will likely make you more injury prone because you think this 1-inch layer of padding is going to stop you from breaking your wrist from a shitty punch against a 100 lbs bag.

Boxing gloves do not prevent meaningful injury. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what they are talking about. The reason boxing gloves exist is to prevent bleeding so that fights can go longer. That's all they are there for. MMA gloves serve the exact same purpose except that each individual finger is padded, rather than the entire fist.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    You probably want to wrap your hands any time you are performing power strikes a surface that offers meaningful resistance (e.g., a heavy bag). You might be able to get away with no wraps against a soft target with a lot of give, but once you start doing heavy bag work then you need to be wrapping or you risk doing damage to your hands and wrists. Think of wraps as a way to "lock in" the alignment of your fist - a proper wrap helps to prevent a poor or particularly heavy strike from, among other things, causing your fingers to dig into your palms or causing your wrist to bend. It also helps to maintain proper structure in the first place, which again helps to prevent injury.

Once you have the wraps on, anything beyond that is to help protect the wrap itself from superficial damage such as tearing (or just from getting dirty in general). I would strongly question the expertise of someone who tells you that striking a heavy bag with MMA gloves makes you look stupid. How you "look" matters fuck all. What matters is your safety and proper training. You can 100% use MMA gloves on a bag. The important thing is that you are wrapping first. If you aren't wrapping, the outer glove really doesn't matter and only serves to prevent your skin from tearing or getting scratched. It will not offer any meaningful injury prevention otherwise, and in fact will likely make you more injury prone because you think this 1-inch layer of padding is going to stop you from breaking your wrist from a shitty punch against a 100 lbs bag.

Boxing gloves do not prevent meaningful injury. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what they are talking about. The reason boxing gloves exist is to prevent bleeding so that fights can go longer. That's all they are there for. MMA gloves serve the exact same purpose except that each individual finger is padded, rather than the entire fist.

I intend to wrap when I'm using a heavy bag. "Look stupid" was the phrasing used but the context of the conversation was "hey, these are the wrong tool for this purpose, you should be using a pair of 12/14/16 gloves for a heavy bag for the padding and to take it easier on your partner in sparring." I should've unpacked that.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If you are sparring then boxing gloves make more sense, because the gloves help prevent superficial/minor injuries to your opponent. But if you're just doing bag work then you can use MMA gloves just fine.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    You also need to ask at where you are training honestly.

Most places have specific requirements for sizes of gloves while sparring.

Like where I was I could use 12oz gloves for sparring but only because I weighed under 150lbs. Above that you needed heavier gloves. But that rule is going to vary based on the gym.

So a lot of these questions need to be answered by the gym.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I would add that you should be careful about Krav Maga and similar "Reality Based Self Defense" systems and gyms. There is quality out there but there is a lot of crap surrounding that quality, especially under the Krav Maga branding.

There is crap out there in the combat sports arena too, but not nearly as prolific. Usually the worst you find are places that aren't sparring because their client base are middle aged white collar types who just want some cardio but felt awkward going to a Karate or TKD place. Whereas with the RBSD stuff you will run into people who have never thrown a punch in anger and are using bad training methodologies who think they are prepared for a real fight.
    And it's not that they are bad people but that the same dynamics which exist in cults are common enough in martial arts circles that you can get sucked in through socialization.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I would add that you should be careful about Krav Maga and similar "Reality Based Self Defense" systems and gyms. There is quality out there but there is a lot of crap surrounding that quality, especially under the Krav Maga branding.

There is crap out there in the combat sports arena too, but not nearly as prolific. Usually the worst you find are places that aren't sparring because their client base are middle aged white collar types who just want some cardio but felt awkward going to a Karate or TKD place. Whereas with the RBSD stuff you will run into people who have never thrown a punch in anger and are using bad training methodologies who think they are prepared for a real fight.
    And it's not that they are bad people but that the same dynamics which exist in cults are common enough in martial arts circles that you can get sucked in through socialization.

I'm under no illusions that the place is going to turn me into Jason Bourne; they don't advertise Krav Maga at all, it's just one of the classes offered at this place. I'm just looking for some cardio that isn't interminable running on a treadmill/elliptical.

I've been to one at this place before and it seemed legit enough, for what it was. I'm familiar with Krav from taking a class very briefly years ago with a visiting retired IDF colonel who happened to be here while his wife was a visiting prof, who put on the class at the Hillel for shits and giggles. Rules for that class were strictly streetwear, though, which is why I don't have any experience with gloves.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    I am not saying you will do this, but something I have encountered often enough that I don't think it is rare is that training in an ostensible martial art, even if it is for general fitness, has the potential to trick you into thinking you're learning to fight even when you went into knowing you weren't. It's a weird effect where somehow in the time between knowingly walking into a martial arts school strictly to get in general shape because regular cardio is boring and really getting into it people seem to forget that they aren't actually there to learn how to fight. It's something you have to be mindful of so you don't find yourself falling into that trap. That's why I generally recommend people who want cardio but don't want to run or ride a bike take up something like pickup basketball or soccer. For whatever reason people who do that don't seem to have that problem at the same rate as people who train in martial arts strictly for fitness.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    When nothing else can be counted on in life

Count on the king of fuckups continuing to fuck up

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020

Jesus Christ! That man is such a fuckup.

Really like the touch of him drinking Masvidal's mezcal brand.

Magell on
  • Options

There is another benefit to wrapping your hands: The wraps absorb sweat which means your gloves don't get as stinky. And it's a lot simpler to wash wraps in the laundry room than clean gloves.

Krav is a victim of the same kind of thing that happened to Karate and TKD where it gained enough name recognition that people wanted to get in on a potential money train. The same thing has started popping up in BJJ too though to a much smaller degree for now but I suspect it will grow.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    IIRC the most well known offender is Flow BJJ for celebrities who don't want to get cauliflower ear or bruises on their face. I don't have experience with cauliflower ear despite years of wrestling, sub wrestling, MMA including amateur fights, and a sprinkle of Judo. So my experience is biased towards not thinking that is such a big deal.

• Options
    IIRC the most well known offender is Flow BJJ for celebrities who don't want to get cauliflower ear or bruises on their face. I don't have experience with cauliflower ear despite years of wrestling, sub wrestling, MMA including amateur fights, and a sprinkle of Judo. So my experience is biased towards not thinking that is such a big deal.

It's an odd thing in that some people seem to be predisposed to it and others immune. I've heard of one case where someone did years of one grappling art without it being an issue but the first time practicing in another and he had signs of it.

That said, it is treatable if caught and drained quickly.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular

I know quite a few affiliations that have some pretty terrible quality control and have some McDojo type affiliates springing up. Expect some really suspect jiujitsu gyms coming around. A lot of them just offer a curriculum and people memorize the curriculum and that gets them ahead when it comes to belts if they kiss the right ass and pay enough people enough money.

Also hey guys, decided to check back in here, haven't been on here in a long time. Got my brown belt, started teaching at my own gym inside a large fitness center until the virus. Hopefully be back at it soon.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Magell wrote: »

His lawyer on the other hand....

Undisputed World Champion. House arrest!? During a mother fucking quarantine!?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »

His lawyer on the other hand....

Undisputed World Champion. House arrest!? During a mother fucking quarantine!?

There's been issues with prisons not being able to stop virus spread so I'd expect home confinements to be more commonly doled out. There's been directives to move lower risk inmates out of federal prisons too.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Tony vs Gaethje is official. I'd be stoked if I wasn't so disappointed we lost Khabib vs Tony.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This is how Mortal Kombat started isn’t it

• Options

Mortal Kombat felt nowhere near this gross

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    W6pRpyV.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options

So I guess I have to put my dreams that Dana White would sign on Goro on hold for a bit.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

So I guess I have to put my dreams that Dana White would sign on Goro on hold for a bit.

I mean, he's got the island. Doesn't have to be a UFC event. If anything, it opens him up to do an actual Mortal Kombat type thing because he's not constrained by UFC rules.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

If Dana challenged the winners of his fights to a one on one fight, my respect for him would go up a bit. No belts. The only prizes are souls and respect.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »

If Dana challenged the winners of his fights to a one on one fight, my respect for him would go up a bit. No belts. The only prizes are souls and respect.

So you're saying he'd have nothing to lose?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options

Bringing this back for a minute but got a few e-mails this week from BJJ gyms that are giving students credit towards belt promotions for attending virtual classes online during the pandemic.
    Big affiliations too. Rener making them moves. Dang. BJJ McDojo life.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Bringing this back for a minute but got a few e-mails this week from BJJ gyms that are giving students credit towards belt promotions for attending virtual classes online during the pandemic.

Isn't there an online Gracie Academy for self defense?

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Personally I've studied under Bobbosan for fifteen years and I have both never lost a fight nor had my purse taken.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited April 2020

So they started their pay website as a subscription based model and would give out belts after grading video tests they received online. This got criticized big time by a lot of big names in jiujitsu and they changed it from getting a blue belt to they give you a 'combatives belt' which is something they added to sell an extra belt. They also sell a pink belt for women's self defense. Then they started spreading their affiliation and if you buy into the affiliation you get a large large amount of info on how to do everything from talking to students to teaching to marketing. Instructor certification runs you about two grand. If you open a Gracie Academy gym you pay a set amount per student to Gracie Academy for being an affiliate.

I have a lot of experience with them, my old gym joined Gracie Academy and I can tell you it definitely went downhill in a lot of ways, there were things I liked about it but a lot of things I didn't.

Also, nothing against learning online using videos, it helps big time and can get some great stuff. But learning online isn't anywhere close to training and rolling.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited April 2020

So they started their pay website as a subscription based model and would give out belts after grading video tests they received online. This got criticized big time by a lot of big names in jiujitsu and they changed it from getting a blue belt to they give you a 'combatives belt' which is something they added to sell an extra belt. They also sell a pink belt for women's self defense. Then they started spreading their affiliation and if you buy into the affiliation you get a large large amount of info on how to do everything from talking to students to teaching to marketing. Instructor certification runs you about two grand. If you open a Gracie Academy gym you pay a set amount per student to Gracie Academy for being an affiliate.

I have a lot of experience with them, my old gym joined Gracie Academy and I can tell you it definitely went downhill in a lot of ways, there were things I liked about it but a lot of things I didn't.

Also, nothing against learning online using videos, it helps big time and can get some great stuff. But learning online isn't anywhere close to training and rolling.

It's not even a new lesson to be learned, since the advent of affordable home media there have been ads for "learn at home" martial arts in the back of magazines like Black Belt. Which is/was it self basically a "learn at home" piece of media with multiple page articles dedicated to tutorials for techniques from different systems.

And since the spread of the internet and arguing on the internet, people have been arguing about martial arts and how "learn at home" is more often bad than good. There was an entire community (Bullshido) founded on it (pushing back against martial arts related bullshit) that actually had people get together semi regularly and put it to the test. But there's nothing you can really do when the "opponent" is a fantasy about becoming a bad ass with as little work as possible and three tapes for $29.99 each.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Jiujitsu is in a weird spot, it almost needs to be separated into different martial arts. Self defense, MMA, nogi and sport gi are all very much their own thing now.
    The quality control aspect BJJ always had because you had to roll (spar) every day is being lost at some of these places and they're promoting guys just for paying monthly dues whether they've improved or not.
    Now you've got this pandemic going and gyms are desperate to stay open and some of them are pretty much selling promotions for people to stay signed up, it's a bummer man.

• Options
    Jiujitsu is in a weird spot, it almost needs to be separated into different martial arts. Self defense, MMA, nogi and sport gi are all very much their own thing now.
    The quality control aspect BJJ always had because you had to roll (spar) every day is being lost at some of these places and they're promoting guys just for paying monthly dues whether they've improved or not.
    Now you've got this pandemic going and gyms are desperate to stay open and some of them are pretty much selling promotions for people to stay signed up, it's a bummer man.

Making a decent living and strict standards/purity have long been at odds in martial arts. I listened to a video of two instructors talking about this and one mentioned that back in the day the best Karateka in Okinawa were working multiple jobs because teaching a super hardcore version of the style didn't get a lot of customers.

Steam Profile
  • Options
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Testing should be compulsory for anyone working the event or who will be in contact with fighters in at minimum the 96 hours before the fight.

It's stupid that this event is even going on right now but the UFC is cutting corners besides the fact.

Fuck Dana Whites nasal cavity with a used swab

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Testing should be compulsory for anyone working the event or who will be in contact with fighters in at minimum the 96 hours before the fight.

It's stupid that this event is even going on right now but the UFC is cutting corners besides the fact.

Fuck Dana Whites nasal cavity with a used swab

I mean, literally every new thing I hear about Dana White makes me think less of him. Dude's a piece of shit.

Stabbity_Style.png