As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Good lord, I cannot get the last Chaos boon to drop. I assume you have to have used a Defiance for it to appear, but it just will not show. Bah.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Good lord, I cannot get the last Chaos boon to drop. I assume you have to have used a Defiance for it to appear, but it just will not show. Bah.

No it's a free defiance not a refill. It's just really damn rare.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    So, the new Olympian coming in a week:

I'm curious what people like to run keepsake wise. Butterfly for the extra damage is always nice but if I have something mind or just don't care to focus so heavily on not getting hit I usually go with

1. God boon that synergizes with my weapon aspect, or Chaos egg if I'm just being lazy about being hit.
    2. Charon's wallet. 200g is a boon and change, and I'm comfortable getting through Asphodel without any other keepsake.
    3. If my build really needs something I'll grab the appropriate God keepsake. Otherwise see 4
    4. Usually Broken Spear point unless either I'm really short on health, in which case grab the collar. Or have Athena's revenge which is usually close enough.

• Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    I usually start with the Coin Purse, its the only trinket that gives a permanent non-hp bonus and I don't tend to take much damage on the first floor. Second/third floor I either switch to a god's trinket if I want something in particular for my build, the Myrmidon's Bracer if I'm running a melee weapon or the spiked collar if I'm using ranged. On the fourth floor I use either the bracer/collar or sometimes switch to the Lucky Tooth if I don't have full death defiance.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Oh that's interesting. I speculate Apollo, because I'm reading those leafy bits as a laurel wreath.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Every fucking song on this soundtrack is ace, and I love that they're all long enough to just settle in for a few minutes before rocking out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJwOmiKavY

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Oh that's interesting. I speculate Apollo, because I'm reading those leafy bits as a laurel wreath.

the bigger detail is probably the Cornucopia at the waist

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    ugh

i had a ridiculous, broken, game-winning build and got all the way to the top for the first time. i put the game down for a while after the initial fun with the beta.

but
    hades had way higher damage output than i expected, and i got sloppy and wasn't watching my healthbar

so i died, despite having the Rail upgraded to spray volleys of arrows and lightning on each hit and the infinite ammo upgrade, among others.

does anyone else have trouble tracking literally anything on screen in this game? maybe it's my colourblindness, but i can't really distinguish enemies from background or objects at all. there's no border and stylistically they're extremely similar, so they blend in when you have to take any attention away. i end up just sort of unfocusing my eyes and reacting to movement, rather than thinking consciously at all.

it might just be that there's too much to take in, on those later levels. there are dozens of projectiles and dozens of enemies swarming, all with different abilities, attacks, and attack prompts. you guys have mentioned the sound that archers make when they're about to fire; i have no idea how that's at all relevant to the senses when there are six exploding chariots chasing you and fifteen exploding projectiles bursting into constellations of potential damage. not to mention the enormous splashes of colour that conceal half the battlefield from my own abilities.

i'm not looking for prompts, at all. i play a lot of fighting games, so that's something i usually do, but in this game i'm going into like... a trance, reacting to broad sensory inputs and roughly avoiding what look like hot zones, or getting roughly behind shield dudes, or hunting down exalted enemy eyeballs. just hammering dash and attacking whenever possible.

ugh

i had a ridiculous, broken, game-winning build and got all the way to the top for the first time. i put the game down for a while after the initial fun with the beta.

but
    hades had way higher damage output than i expected, and i got sloppy and wasn't watching my healthbar

so i died, despite having the Rail upgraded to spray volleys of arrows and lightning on each hit and the infinite ammo upgrade, among others.

does anyone else have trouble tracking literally anything on screen in this game? maybe it's my colourblindness, but i can't really distinguish enemies from background or objects at all. there's no border and stylistically they're extremely similar, so they blend in when you have to take any attention away. i end up just sort of unfocusing my eyes and reacting to movement, rather than thinking consciously at all.

it might just be that there's too much to take in, on those later levels. there are dozens of projectiles and dozens of enemies swarming, all with different abilities, attacks, and attack prompts. you guys have mentioned the sound that archers make when they're about to fire; i have no idea how that's at all relevant to the senses when there are six exploding chariots chasing you and fifteen exploding projectiles bursting into constellations of potential damage. not to mention the enormous splashes of colour that conceal half the battlefield from my own abilities.

i'm not looking for prompts, at all. i play a lot of fighting games, so that's something i usually do, but in this game i'm going into like... a trance, reacting to broad sensory inputs and roughly avoiding what look like hot zones, or getting roughly behind shield dudes, or hunting down exalted enemy eyeballs. just hammering dash and attacking whenever possible.

I think that's necessity once you get up to Elysium. Especially with the rail. Fire and dash. Fire and dash. Keep moving. Stay moving. Abuse iframes.

I just got my first Theseus clear. I think that the Athena boon that makes your dash deflect is a godsend.

Delzhand wrote: »
    ugh

but

I think that's necessity once you get up to Elysium. Especially with the rail. Fire and dash. Fire and dash. Keep moving. Stay moving. Abuse iframes.

I just got my first Theseus clear. I think that the Athena boon that makes your dash deflect is a godsend.

I end up taking the deflect-dash a lot even when it's at common rarity. It's just too useful, especially if you manage to get the Hermes buff for dashes.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    ugh

but

I end up taking the deflect-dash a lot even when it's at common rarity. It's just too useful, especially if you manage to get the Hermes buff for dashes.

Yeah, you don't actually care about the rarity of the deflect dash. It's all about the utility there.

Also, I agree that the later stages are really busy. This can be combated somewhat by builds that have a ton of room-clearing potential; but those kinds of builds tend to suffer when it comes to bosses. Unless you're rocking Chaos Shield. Chaos Shield is op.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    Athena's dash has probably the least benefit from rarity/levels. It's just an awesome defensive tool. If it activates exposed all the better but the damage is basically irrelevant. Same with her revenge if you're not stacking revenge's and going for the activate revenge every 3.5 seconds.

I tend to take either Poseidon or Athena's dash whenever because they provide strong utility and aren't as janky as the other dash boons

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    I tend to take either Poseidon or Athena's dash whenever because they provide strong utility and aren't as janky as the other dash boons

I enjoy the area dash with the blade rift. Things can get a tad confusing though.

steam_sig.png
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    You've got to be fucking kidding me.
    Hades has TWO FUCKING HEALTH BARS?!? WTF!?

last boss privileges

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

The musical drop tho

I ate an engineer
    My favourite comment from that final boss fight:
    Zagreus dunking on him for dramatically burning his cape every time. Like yes, it looks cool, but someone has to pay for those.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    Cleared the last boss for the first time with the bow. I think it's great how even the weapons I don't think I like using, I love once I get a few decent boons in a run.

Got my first clear last night as well. The Chaos Shield is absurdly good. Never even got an upgrade to the bullrush, but I was just spamming bullrush > shield throw anyway

I just noticed something about the final boss area that might be relevant to the next patch.
    It's clearly winter, but winter is supposed to be caused by Persephone being in the underworld - her mother, Demeter, goddess of the harvest, does not tend to the earth while she is away. But if it's winter and Persephone isn't in the underworld, where is she?

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I'm currently in a very awkward situation where I cruise to the last boss every run but then always get torn to shreds in the second phase.

My personal commitment at the start of the game to get my first win with zero ranks in Death Defiance is probably not helping matters, but I'm in way too deep to cave now. (Amulets of Life Saving are for cowards.)

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Mahnmut wrote: »

the bigger detail is probably the Cornucopia at the waist

Every day since this post I'm just :o:o:o because yes, I didn't see the Cornucopia, and Demeter is much, much, much more jucy at this point....

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    I just noticed something about the final boss area that might be relevant to the next patch.
    It's clearly winter, but winter is supposed to be caused by Persephone being in the underworld - her mother, Demeter, goddess of the harvest, does not tend to the earth while she is away. But if it's winter and Persephone isn't in the underworld, where is she?

Oh, it gets worse.
    Zagreus has never known his real mother, and he's how old? How long has it been winter?

edited January 2020
    Glazius wrote: »

Oh, it gets worse.
    Zagreus has never known his real mother, and he's how old? How long has it been winter?

Something weird is going on.
    The Olympians are way too effusive and buddy-buddy with you. It makes me suspicious that they've got something to do with the missing Persephone — at one point you are strongly advised not to tell them the real reason you're battling your way out of the underworld.

At first I thought maybe they wanted to use Zag to find her, but if they don't know his real goal, then there must be some other reason they want him to be successful in escaping. And a good reason that Hades doesn't want you leaving, since it's clear he's not telling you everything (maybe he doesn't want you to lead the Olympians to Persephone). I strongly suspect he's not the real villain.

Evil Multifarious on
    Oh Gods I just had my first run with Extreme Measures maxed out. I was not expecting that. Thank god for Chaos Shield.

Very much enjoyed
    Zag and Achilles laughing about Theseus and his ridiculous costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6HYgfMFHQ

The next update is called "The Long Winter" and boy do I feel good about my prediction.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Yay, grandma! I wonder what kind of boons she'll provide. I suspect they'll be mainly healing.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I think I've bounced off this pretty hard. I can make it to Theseus and the Mino every time, and Hades mostly, but it feels like such a slog that I don't want to do it enough to master the Hades fight. The bosses are just so damn spongy, that I'm bored by the time I'm done killing them, and my builds that do well through most of the game are just eaten alive in the final biome. I love everything about the game except the gameplay, I just don't think I'll ever be in the mood to dedicate the time it will take to get through it.

Her special effect is called "Chill" and slows enemies. They're also cutting some of Hermes' boons to make her the sole source of slows.

https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/hades-updates/

When are we getting the final weapon though? I want one more melee option. It's missing the big, beefy, slow attack archetype (although the sword with the right hammer upgrade fits that role to some extent), which is usually my favourite

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    When are we getting the final weapon though? I want one more melee option. It's missing the big, beefy, slow attack archetype (although the sword with the right hammer upgrade fits that role to some extent), which is usually my favourite

Per the vid above (tucked in at the end), 10th March.

edited January 2020
    I saw something in the video that made me think "magic staff". I wouldn't mind something that works like the carbine from Bastion, where charging the attack lets you trade spread for power and range.

Delzhand on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    This game is amazing and I have never followed a Dev like Supergiant before.

Bastion to Transistor to Pyre to Hades is just a grand slam.

Opened a door and immediately the game went to the you are dead screen. Steam bug?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Demeter's cast boon is amazing. It's a laser turret.

edited January 2020
    Ok Demeter is pretty cool. That said I'm going to make a quick prediction.
    Going by what Hades said when I turned up with her boon. I suspect she'll be the true big bad. I mean, covering the earth in eternal winter isn't a great sign on it's own. And it sounds like her learning who Zag actually is could be very bad.

Also the new weapon aspect seems difficult but awesome. I think I'll have to wait until I can max it before I can get any use out of it. But I look forward to seeing it in the hands of more skilled players than me.

Oh and I'm not certain if this is new or not but I love it
    Zag can thank his fan after the Theseus fight.

Road Block on
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Ok Demeter is pretty cool. That said I'm going to make a quick prediction.
    Going by what Hades said when I turned up with her boon. I suspect she'll be the true big bad. I mean, covering the earth in eternal winter isn't a great sign on it's own. And it sounds like her learning who Zag actually is could be very bad.

Also the new weapon aspect seems difficult but awesome. I think I'll have to wait until I can max it before I can get any use out of it. But I look forward to seeing it in the hands of more skilled players than me.

Oh and I'm not certain if this is new or not but I love it
    Zag can thank his fan after the Theseus fight.

Did a run with the new weapon aspect last night, it's pretty rough though I think it'll be easier with more upgrades. The spin attack sends out a projectile like the Zeus shield aspect which is nifty, really needs the faster charge hammer upgrade though.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Imo the new Spear Upgrade is almost certainly a case of “if you have it, you don’t need it”

I ate an engineer
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Playing a bit again and getting used to all the new stuff like weapon aspects. What I love about the game is the details they put into it though. For example:
    Decided to try the Zeus aspect on the shield. Made it to Hades and he specifically calls out using the Zeus aspect on the shield as an insult and talks disparagingly about Zeus.