As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I won a marathon game of Twilight Imperium last night. Somebody tried to pick up speed slingshotting a baby death star past a gravity rift and the whole thing fell in and was lost.
    I played the trader race, The Emirates of Hacan. On the first turn we were moving fast and nobody could trade due to being locked away near their homeworlds and not having any neighbors yet. That rule didn't apply to me. I negotiated two transactions when my turn began and the host was visibly disgusted.

I was throwing trade goods left and right like tips in the early game, and had a permanent alliance with the space nerds Jol-Nar player to my left. I originally intended to then overwhelm and conquer the space bullies Mentak to my right, but that player built up big fleets and mostly didn't use them. I didn't really end up fighting anyone.

I had a complicated win shot but drew into a secretive objective that I'd already finished and so had a simple win at the end of the turn.
    I bought a racial tech that allows me at great cost to guarantee a strategy card, and was maneuvering to guarantee Imperial and score trade goods first action of the final turn. Someone jumped from 5 points of 10 to 9, which let me draw a secret objective as part of the Imperial secondary. The card I topdecked related to racial techs, so I had already finished it and could just score it for the win at round's end. . I was very committed to the slow roll and so nobody thought I had it this round. One person even commented in an offhand way "I mean he could have the secret objective. He could just be being stealthy." It didn't matter, none of them remembered that in hours past they'd elected me Minister of Peace and I had authorization to end an inconvenient adventure if it threatened me.
    At one point I built 5 dreadnoughts for a secret objective, and just before I scored it drew a new secret objective.
    It said end the round occupying the Galactic Senate with three ships in orbit. I moved all five into the senate and the previous occupier immediately fled, playing a Skilled Retreat card. He couldn't carry all his ground forces off the planet with him, so the one remaining ground force, shot from orbit by 5 dreadnoughts, became the only thing I shot all game. There was a public objective I hadn't scored for having six non-home planets occupied, and I only had 5 in my little corner, so the center of the universe became the sixth and scored me both that round's public objective and my secret objective.

As part of stalling long enough to invade the senate after everyone else had passed, I blew up the third space dock of the space bullies with an action card, reasoning that it wasn't good for much and maybe they had a secret objective to have all their space docks on the board. That was the player's secret objective, and he got mad, saying he was going to absolutely push my shit in next turn. I finished the turn for twenty minutes, and then as the cleanup happened discussed that I would have to leave the Senate and not score any senate points, and also take the first-action strategy card i didn't really need, in order to prevent his successful retaliation.

When he heard that his threatening response to my space dock sabotage had already cost me at least one point, and that I would be leaving the senate up for grabs, and that I was going to attack his power-projection forces first action with the fleet currently at the galactic senate, he lost a little bit of interest in the war. When I established that if he was willing to return to a detente, I was willing to take neither first-mover strategy nor senate-scoring strategy and move all of my ships and troops out of the senate first action, he agreed. It totally worked out for him, and he got the senate, and scored 4 points in one turn eventually, but I was able to just hang out peacefully in a defensive crouch and buy the win.

The wheeling and dealing at our table is great, and maybe why our games always go like twelve fucking hours. We had a single council vote that twisted like 5 times. Very strong "are you fucking kidding me!" energy.
    It involved someone getting free technology for the rest of the game. Three of six players immediately made a deal involving the election of the Yssaril and a Political Rider card (cost: no Ghost votes cast) so that if the Yssaril won as predicted then the Space Ghosts became first actor and drew 3 action cards, leaving the Space Bullies second to act in exchange for their votes. The Space Ghosts brokered the deal and assassinated my representatives, so the Yssaril and Space Bullies only had to outvote 2 players. Since I couldn't cast votes anyway, I put a Construction Rider on the Yssaril win. Seeing that the Yssaril had enough votes to win without them, the Space Bullies added an Imperial rider for a point and a Tech rider for a free tech, all if the Yssaril won.

So now the situation was either the Yssaril won, and got free tech for the rest of the game, and I got a space dock, and the ghosts got 3 action cards and first actor, and the bullies got a point and a tech, or somebody else won and got free tech for the rest of the game. Not wanting the bullies to get a point and a tech, I revealed that I was going to repeal this law second action next turn, so the winner would only get free tech once. The Yssaril looked at me with revulsion and said they were now going to vote against themselves. The bullies and the ghosts gave them massive bribes to vote for themselves after all. They agreed. I asked the terms of the deal, did the Yssaril really get all that shit just for voting for themselves. The bribers said yes they did. The Yssaril voted for themselves, and the Space Nerds played a bribery card and paid enough trade goods to win the vote outright. I tried to repeal it later and they sabotaged the repeal.

I’m convinced that the best strategy for TI is to do exactly what you did—quietly accumulate points, stay friends with pretty much everybody, avoid fighting, and then suddenly reveal you’ve shot ahead of the pack in points to claim victory.

normally i am much more of a bully and shit-stirrer. This game was off-brand for me. It worked great. Support for the throne is an interesting mechanic - I might embrace a binding "you lose a point if you activate each other's systems" alliance even without the initial point gain.

You decided to early bum rush a neighbor and you went for Mentak over the Jol-Nar? o_O

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    MrBody wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I won a marathon game of Twilight Imperium last night. Somebody tried to pick up speed slingshotting a baby death star past a gravity rift and the whole thing fell in and was lost.
    I played the trader race, The Emirates of Hacan. On the first turn we were moving fast and nobody could trade due to being locked away near their homeworlds and not having any neighbors yet. That rule didn't apply to me. I negotiated two transactions when my turn began and the host was visibly disgusted.

I was throwing trade goods left and right like tips in the early game, and had a permanent alliance with the space nerds Jol-Nar player to my left. I originally intended to then overwhelm and conquer the space bullies Mentak to my right, but that player built up big fleets and mostly didn't use them. I didn't really end up fighting anyone.

I had a complicated win shot but drew into a secretive objective that I'd already finished and so had a simple win at the end of the turn.
    I bought a racial tech that allows me at great cost to guarantee a strategy card, and was maneuvering to guarantee Imperial and score trade goods first action of the final turn. Someone jumped from 5 points of 10 to 9, which let me draw a secret objective as part of the Imperial secondary. The card I topdecked related to racial techs, so I had already finished it and could just score it for the win at round's end. . I was very committed to the slow roll and so nobody thought I had it this round. One person even commented in an offhand way "I mean he could have the secret objective. He could just be being stealthy." It didn't matter, none of them remembered that in hours past they'd elected me Minister of Peace and I had authorization to end an inconvenient adventure if it threatened me.
    At one point I built 5 dreadnoughts for a secret objective, and just before I scored it drew a new secret objective.
    It said end the round occupying the Galactic Senate with three ships in orbit. I moved all five into the senate and the previous occupier immediately fled, playing a Skilled Retreat card. He couldn't carry all his ground forces off the planet with him, so the one remaining ground force, shot from orbit by 5 dreadnoughts, became the only thing I shot all game. There was a public objective I hadn't scored for having six non-home planets occupied, and I only had 5 in my little corner, so the center of the universe became the sixth and scored me both that round's public objective and my secret objective.

As part of stalling long enough to invade the senate after everyone else had passed, I blew up the third space dock of the space bullies with an action card, reasoning that it wasn't good for much and maybe they had a secret objective to have all their space docks on the board. That was the player's secret objective, and he got mad, saying he was going to absolutely push my shit in next turn. I finished the turn for twenty minutes, and then as the cleanup happened discussed that I would have to leave the Senate and not score any senate points, and also take the first-action strategy card i didn't really need, in order to prevent his successful retaliation.

When he heard that his threatening response to my space dock sabotage had already cost me at least one point, and that I would be leaving the senate up for grabs, and that I was going to attack his power-projection forces first action with the fleet currently at the galactic senate, he lost a little bit of interest in the war. When I established that if he was willing to return to a detente, I was willing to take neither first-mover strategy nor senate-scoring strategy and move all of my ships and troops out of the senate first action, he agreed. It totally worked out for him, and he got the senate, and scored 4 points in one turn eventually, but I was able to just hang out peacefully in a defensive crouch and buy the win.

The wheeling and dealing at our table is great, and maybe why our games always go like twelve fucking hours. We had a single council vote that twisted like 5 times. Very strong "are you fucking kidding me!" energy.
    It involved someone getting free technology for the rest of the game. Three of six players immediately made a deal involving the election of the Yssaril and a Political Rider card (cost: no Ghost votes cast) so that if the Yssaril won as predicted then the Space Ghosts became first actor and drew 3 action cards, leaving the Space Bullies second to act in exchange for their votes. The Space Ghosts brokered the deal and assassinated my representatives, so the Yssaril and Space Bullies only had to outvote 2 players. Since I couldn't cast votes anyway, I put a Construction Rider on the Yssaril win. Seeing that the Yssaril had enough votes to win without them, the Space Bullies added an Imperial rider for a point and a Tech rider for a free tech, all if the Yssaril won.

So now the situation was either the Yssaril won, and got free tech for the rest of the game, and I got a space dock, and the ghosts got 3 action cards and first actor, and the bullies got a point and a tech, or somebody else won and got free tech for the rest of the game. Not wanting the bullies to get a point and a tech, I revealed that I was going to repeal this law second action next turn, so the winner would only get free tech once. The Yssaril looked at me with revulsion and said they were now going to vote against themselves. The bullies and the ghosts gave them massive bribes to vote for themselves after all. They agreed. I asked the terms of the deal, did the Yssaril really get all that shit just for voting for themselves. The bribers said yes they did. The Yssaril voted for themselves, and the Space Nerds played a bribery card and paid enough trade goods to win the vote outright. I tried to repeal it later and they sabotaged the repeal.

I’m convinced that the best strategy for TI is to do exactly what you did—quietly accumulate points, stay friends with pretty much everybody, avoid fighting, and then suddenly reveal you’ve shot ahead of the pack in points to claim victory.

normally i am much more of a bully and shit-stirrer. This game was off-brand for me. It worked great. Support for the throne is an interesting mechanic - I might embrace a binding "you lose a point if you activate each other's systems" alliance even without the initial point gain.

You decided to early bum rush a neighbor and you went for Mentak over the Jol-Nar? o_O

Not early at all. I was going to be poor at first, since i missed a tech first turn and gave the jol nar my commodities promissory for their racial. I had three non wormhole empty space tiles near me - if you consider rex to be forward, they were forward-forward, forward-forwardleft, and forward-forwardright from me. So i felt fairly locked in to scramble, then consolidate, and only then something useful. If i couldn't hit the jol nar early then a permanent alliance seemed best - i don't have to deal with endgame jol nar and they're going to be a big lightning rod from the first turn for everyone else. Once that's in place, my eventual useful thing has to be a defensive crouch, Rex, or conquest of the mentak. I vaguely aimed at option C, but ended up in option A with a very brief sojourn in option B.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    The jol nar racial promissory is bonkers. I had a green two racial tech i needed, so i bought green zero, which is good, another action card. I skipped terrible green one, zombie ground forces, and copied green two, another CC, when the jol nar bought it. So i got a free good tech and also skipped a dead spot on the tech tree. And it costs them nothing to hand out except the huge buff it gives to an opponent!

sig.gif
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I got On Mars to the table today. It's really great, but I would say not perfect. Or at least, I need a few more plays to really get into the nitty gritty. The downside is that it's an incredibly heavy and complex game, but on my first playthrough I'm not 100% convinced it needed that level of complexity to be good. I don't think anything was needlessly complex, but there were so many different moving parts and systems and I'm not completely convinced it couldn't have been trimmed down a bit.

So you're saying it's a vital lacerda game huh

I still really liked it, and my group have all messaged me to ask me to play again soon.

I'm really curious to see how strategies unfold as you play.

I think maybe the right strategies depend a lot on the end conditions so it will be volatile

I'm not sure what you mean, the end conditions don't change from game to game. Or do you mean the mission cards?

Yes! That's the word. The mission cards. Both which mission cards and how many players you have seem to totally upend the game. You really have to learn the game deeply in order to get any better at the game itself and not just at 2player with easy missions or 4player with contracts and research tiles, or whatever

You don't need to complete the mission cards to end the game though. You only have to move the big red cube 3 times to trigger the end game. It moves when you either complete a mission, or when the LSS upgrades to levels 3 4 or 5. So any combination of those things can trigger end game. In our game, we finished 2 missions, and leveled the LSS to level 3 which ended the game.

Sure, but it's usually easy for one player to prevent triggering the level 3 upgrade, if they decide to do so early enough. They'll be the only one with a particular tech until the level one upgrade, and if they finish that complex for the level 2 upgrade, or if they don't move the tech when somebody else does, the level 3 can't happen until the same player spends 3 space actions buying and moving a duplicate copy of the tech. Maybe they can get the tech research tile and then rover around the board finding tech mover upgrades, but it's a huge, obnoxious investment and risks handing the game to somebody else. If you really want to prevent level 3, you can also stomp on relevant research tiles with a robot.

But you only need the upgrade tech for complexes, if someone really wanted to end the game, they could just build standalone buildings without making it a complex. The only downside to building standalone vs building a complex is you don't get as many units of that particular resource once you build it, and you don't get to put your marker on the complex box below the LSS, but if you've already built one complex in that column anyways, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Hmmmm, I was taught that it doesn't jump the marker for colony upgrades unless you build a complex of size (target upgrade level +1). So in order to have the upgrade level help end the game, somebody must build a size 3 complex of water, batteries, oxygen, and plants.

Nope, just a building. According to the rules: "Each time a Building tile is placed on the board, move the marker in its column 1 space up, unless it is already at the top of the column."

I have never played this game by the rules and retract all comments about it :bigfrown:

sig.gif
    edited January 2020
    The jol nar racial promissory is bonkers. I had a green two racial tech i needed, so i bought green zero, which is good, another action card. I skipped terrible green one, zombie ground forces, and copied green two, another CC, when the jol nar bought it. So i got a free good tech and also skipped a dead spot on the tech tree. And it costs them nothing to hand out except the huge buff it gives to an opponent!

Yeah the Jol-Nar are...nearly broken. They would be one of the most powerful races with half their bonuses, but for some reason they decided to just keep piling on bonuses they don't need. There's no reason for them to have 4 commodities. There's no reason for 2 crazy good racial techs that both print free money AND dissuade aggression against you at the same time. There's no reason for the bonkers promissory note.

I still say the majority of balance issues (and quite a few fun issues) in that game would be solved if they simply removed the tech victory objectives from the game. The fact that race rankings line up almost exactly with the number of starting techs the race gets should be a tip off that they're broken.

MrBody on

Yeah the Jol-Nar are...nearly broken. They would be one of the most powerful races with half their bonuses, but for some reason they decided to just keep piling on bonuses they don't need. There's no reason for them to have 4 commodities. There's no reason for 2 crazy good racial techs that both print free money AND dissuade aggression against you at the same time. There's no reason for the bonkers promissory note.

I still say the majority of balance issues (and quite a few fun issues) in that game would be solved if they simply removed the tech victory objectives from the game. The fact that race rankings line up almost exactly with the number of starting techs the race gets should be a tip off that they're broken.

We didn't draw any tech objectives! It was crazy!

sig.gif
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Been watching videos of people playing Marvel Champions, and that game looks like extremely my jam. Appears to solve almost everything I disliked about Sentinels, and adds a heap of other good stuff. Might have to pick some/all of it up.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I finally found a board game my girlfriend likes that isn't Azul or Carcassonne.

Clank Legacy! It's a blast, but the surfaces are hard to write on because the marker smears or the pens don't register. It freaks me out every time I have to mark or name something.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I finally found a board game my girlfriend likes that isn't Azul or Carcassonne.

Clank Legacy! It's a blast, but the surfaces are hard to write on because the marker smears or the pens don't register. It freaks me out every time I have to mark or name something.

Just finished our third game of Clank Legacy!. IMO it's by far the best Legacy game we've played so far. So much Legacy, so much reading and writing. Scoring has definitely taking a back seat to rush to be the one to unlock a new Legacy element.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Legacy games, I just discovered that Reiner Knizia is making a Civ/city building legacy game, and god, I love all of those words.

https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/my-city

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a medieval traders and merchants type game? I am looking for a game that covers being a commodity trader and dealing with staff, establishing trade partners, goods, warehouses etc.

Was this your first game? Curious how people who've experience tech/no tech objective games would compare the 2 experiences.

In addition to the balance issues, it would just be more fun I think. You could actually try to get crazy and go deep into a certain tech tree. With the objectives, everyone pretty much never goes past 2 of each color

Was this your first game? Curious how people who've experience tech/no tech objective games would compare the 2 experiences.

In addition to the balance issues, it would just be more fun I think. You could actually try to get crazy and go deep into a certain tech tree. With the objectives, everyone pretty much never goes past 2 of each color

no but each game is like ten hours and happens six months later so it's pretty hard to compare

sig.gif
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Followup to my Dungeon Degenerates woes:

Apparently something went wrong with backerkit and my pledge+add-ons just never got properly sent to Goblinko. The problem was resolved and they're shipping my stuff out today! Hooray!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    .Those of you who got the deluxe edition of Evolution: Oceans, how did you elegantly store all the bits? The decks, once sleeved, are bulging out of their cubbys.

A girl I have a massive crush on loves Evolution, so I'm eager to show this off. She has already friendzoned me, but I'm a big boy and know how to take no for an answer. She is too cool not to cherish a friendship with.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2020
    I actually found the sleeved cards to fit perfectly in each of their cubbies. There's one for each deck. Although I gather there've been some QA issues with the sleeves and some people have gotten sleeves in varying sizes, so that might be an issue. I can't right now but in a bit I can get some photos of how I have my insert stocked.

Edit: Here we go:
    oz3cz5cpk1xz.jpg
    wsg0u9wye9ta.jpg
    nmx5l3u11vdl.jpg
    wskca8qjp74x.jpg
    hbrghsc4z5mf.jpg
    fq6dqa94ny0c.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    How does a Gaston / Shan Yu / Shere Khan Villainous sound to you guys? Team Apex Predators?

Who else is there:

- Bad guys in Pinocchio
    - Frollo
    - Cinderella's Stepmom (meh?)
    - Fat Cat
    - Clayton, the other hunter (meh)
    - The bad guys in each Toy Story movie
    - The bad guy in the Black Cauldron
    - Chernabog
    - The Space Police who want to capture Stitch
    - Alternatively, Stitch
    - The Bear in Brave?
    - Te Ka
    - Hans (meh)

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    How does a Gaston / Shan Yu / Shere Khan Villainous sound to you guys? Team Apex Predators?

Who else is there:

- Bad guys in Pinocchio
    - Frollo
    - Fat Cat
    - Chernabog
    - Alternatively, Stitch
    - The Bear in Brave?
    - Te Ka
    - Hans (meh)

The fact that they are just now dipping into CGI movies w/ Gothel is interesting. It'll probably be a while until they hit Pixar though.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Extend the definition of Disney villain and throw in Darth Vader, Thanos and Mr. Banks.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I think the original voting website included Pixar options. I don't think it included Star Wars and Marvel.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

EXCUSE ME

She was fucking awesome how dare

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Look at that crazy stare

17q15359urwf.jpg

my lady eat a baby no problem

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    For me as a European all this "wow villainous is such a fun game" is really frustrating. On this side of the pond there is no villainy to be found it's villainous.

So I backed Oath and it looks crazy fun.
    I maybe will PNP it to test it.

steam_sig.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I traded for the huge ridiculous World of Warcraft game and the first expansion. I'm excited to play it. The amount of shit in the box is next level.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Who else is there:

- Bad guys in Pinocchio
    - Frollo
    - Fat Cat
    - Chernabog
    - Alternatively, Stitch
    - The Bear in Brave?
    - Te Ka
    - Hans (meh)

The fact that they are just now dipping into CGI movies w/ Gothel is interesting. It'll probably be a while until they hit Pixar though.

I'd love to see the MCP from Tron

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I traded for the huge ridiculous World of Warcraft game and the first expansion. I'm excited to play it. The amount of shit in the box is next level.

One of my biggest regrets is not getting a copy of Starcraft + the Brood War expansion. It was like a more aggressive version of TI.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor have you played Forbidden Stars? My understanding is it's basically StarCraft 2. Whatever it's relation to SC, Forbidden Stars is great and you should play it.

Athenor have you played Forbidden Stars? My understanding is it's basically StarCraft 2. Whatever it's relation to SC, Forbidden Stars is great and you should play it.

Of course, tragically, this one is also out of print. And never got an expansion! I never got to play Forbidden Stars, and now probably never will.

I hold my copy of StarCraft very dear. I also never picked it up when it was in retail and ended up paying through the nose for a used copy off of ebay. I felt bad about spending too much at the time, but a few years on I have no regrets.

FS is oop true but it's still relatively easy to lay hands on for less than msrp. Getting less true as time goes on though.

I've been pretty surprised at how slow the Games Workshop FFG games have been to leave circulation. Last I checked, the expansions for Diskwars are still pretty cheap to pick up off of Amazon, which is something I've been meaning to do.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Who else is there:

- Bad guys in Pinocchio
    - Frollo
    - Fat Cat
    - Chernabog
    - Alternatively, Stitch
    - The Bear in Brave?
    - Te Ka
    - Hans (meh)

Oh geez if they open the door to live action they're literally going to need a Sentinels Collector's Case.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited January 2020
    Yeah Forbidden Stars was Starcraft, but way better to the point there was no reason to play Starcraft anymore.

Although I did sour on Forbidden Stars. Those warp storms and lack of a 1st player bidding mechanic were just too frustrating. You can spend the entire game blocked by warp storms and lose, or at least blocked at crucial turns, which would be fine if there was a strategic option to mitigate that but there isn't. All players move the storms equally and you just have to hope that first player rotates to you on a crucial turn. Plus you can't even house rule the warp storms out of the game because that would gimp the Chaos faction.

and screw the Eldar

MrBody on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Who else is there:

- Bad guys in Pinocchio
    - Frollo
    - Fat Cat
    - Chernabog
    - Alternatively, Stitch
    - The Bear in Brave?
    - Te Ka
    - Hans (meh)

Oh geez if they open the door to live action they're literally going to need a Sentinels Collector's Case.
    The opposing trivia team from "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes", Springfield State.
    The giant squid from "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea"
    A Black Hole.
    Travis Coates from "Old Yeller"

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Oh my god, playing Springfield State just trying to win a trivia game while trying to deal with hijinks, the mob, and a robot-brained Kurt Russel is kind of a genius idea for Villainous, actually.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    The nameless Hunter from Bambi. You only have one card, but it's poster-sized and just says "BULLET."

Does anyone have an opinion on "Call to Adventure"? A friend of mine posted about it, and I became enamored with it because it's so dang pretty, but have no idea if it's actually any fun it not.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on "Call to Adventure"? A friend of mine posted about it, and I became enamored with it because it's so dang pretty, but have no idea if it's actually any fun it not.

It looks neat in the box!

The box is quite slim and fits easily on a shelf!

(I haven't played it since getting it via kickstarter)

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    The nameless Hunter from Bambi. You only have one card, but it's poster-sized and just says "BULLET."

It's only about 6/10 as a game, but as a story-generating mechanism it could presumably be pretty fun if that's your jam. You're supposed to wrap up by constructing a narrative around all the nonsense you collected.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I actually found the sleeved cards to fit perfectly in each of their cubbies. There's one for each deck. Although I gather there've been some QA issues with the sleeves and some people have gotten sleeves in varying sizes, so that might be an issue. I can't right now but in a bit I can get some photos of how I have my insert stocked.

Edit: Here we go:
    oz3cz5cpk1xz.jpg
    wsg0u9wye9ta.jpg
    nmx5l3u11vdl.jpg
    wskca8qjp74x.jpg
    hbrghsc4z5mf.jpg
    fq6dqa94ny0c.jpg

What did you do with the cardboard fishies and the extra species boards?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    One of our group has been running away with the entire first half of the Rise of Fenris and we're legitimately worried about the balance for the rest of this campaign but Im trying not to get spooked and Google a bunch of spoilers on it to see if we'll be ok or not

• FryFry Registered User regular
    One of our group has been running away with the entire first half of the Rise of Fenris and we're legitimately worried about the balance for the rest of this campaign but Im trying not to get spooked and Google a bunch of spoilers on it to see if we'll be ok or not

Are they playing as Fenris? :P