As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Inauguration Fund/Committee Investigation.

1235»

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    It's kind of crazy that this is going to get half- buried under other impeachment news, but it seems fairly clear that whenever Trump leaves the White House there's going to be either a Tax Fraud or a good ol' fashioned Fraud Fraud prosecution waiting for him in NY, among other fun surprises.

This is clearly putting thoughts into Trump's head about never leaving the White House.

Fortunately I think the Republican politicians hate him enough to not do a coup for him.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    It's kind of crazy that this is going to get half- buried under other impeachment news, but it seems fairly clear that whenever Trump leaves the White House there's going to be either a Tax Fraud or a good ol' fashioned Fraud Fraud prosecution waiting for him in NY, among other fun surprises.

This is clearly putting thoughts into Trump's head about never leaving the White House.

Fortunately I think the Republican politicians hate him enough to not do a coup for him.

While I agree that Republican politicians hate him, I remain skeptical that there's any point that is considered "too far".

I'd hope they'd put their country first at that point, but they haven't yet, despite MANY reasons not to.

I mean, is defying the 22nd Amendment really any different than defying Article 1, Section 9, Para 8?

Don't get me wrong, I think you're right in that that might be too far. But Republicans have disappointed my consistently with their fecklessness for years now.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

While I agree that Republican politicians hate him, I remain skeptical that there's any point that is considered "too far".

I'd hope they'd put their country first at that point, but they haven't yet, despite MANY reasons not to.

I mean, is defying the 22nd Amendment really any different than defying Article 1, Section 9, Para 8?

Don't get me wrong, I think you're right in that that might be too far. But Republicans have disappointed my consistently with their fecklessness for years now.

The Republicans have their own election to win next year, and if they get slaughtered, they will use their final sessions to force Trump down the memory hole.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I don't think he could go "too far" for them. I mean that they just hate him on a personal level as he treats everyone like crap. Licking his shoes forever would not be fun for them.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The District of Columbia just announced a lawsuit against the committee for abuse of funds.

AP reporter:

Nice to see it go somewhere

Edit:
    https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/479336-dc-attorney-general-sues-inaugural-committee-over-funds-spent-on
    The D.C. attorney general is suing President Trump's inaugural committee, alleging that it improperly used nonprofit funds at Trump-owned properties.

Attorney General Karl Racine, a Democrat, filed the lawsuit Wednesday morning, saying that his office is seeking to recover $1 million dollars that was allegedly overpaid to businesses like the Trump International Hotel.

“District law requires nonprofits to use their funds for their stated public purpose, not to benefit private individuals or companies,” Racine said in a statement. “In this case, we are seeking to recover the nonprofit funds that were improperly funneled directly to the Trump family business.”

Couscous on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I realize this is thread necromancy, but it's relevant, I promise:

It looks like Don Jr tried the "I don't recall" tactic about his improper use of inaugural funds, but lots of other people (and video) remember.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/04/in-sworn-testimony-in-inauguration-scandal-case-donald-trump-jr-made-apparently-false-statements/