As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The kit contains sprues for both a SD RX-78 and a Hello Kitty, which you can then combine to make the Hello Kitty Gundam

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So awesome... I don't know why, but now I want it.
    https://bandai-hobby.net/item/3510/ <- Link for those who can't see the Twitter page.
    Heffling wrote: »
    I don't think the sprue is for the Hello Kitty gundam pictured.

Yeah I was wondering about that. Made me almost think that it was a second kit you needed to buy.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Bluefin had a shipment. They took preorders for individuals which went out for delivery last week but it looks like that was it and now it is waiting for retailers to get their shipment. USAGundam got it for $34 + shipping use the code "Google10" for 10% off preorders.

I'm currently fighting with FedEx needing a signature but not informing me when they attempt to deliver this stupid thing. I just redirected it to the local Walgreens hopefully they'll actually leave it there

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    In addition to the Hello Kitty Gundam, we are also getting HaroKitty

zldlnkypv0jm.jpg

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Of all the parts of the T-rex, apparently the feet are the least applicable to panel lines. Makes sense, I guess, though I am VERY glad the bottom is black and therefore will not be getting the panel line treatment.

Also I'm quite tired and this took longer than I figured it would.

Kmv1Vmcl.jpg

96wUkSKl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Don't you just love it when you get some really cool panel lining on the inside of the armor. Like hell yeah I am doing even if no one will ever see it.

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    hoo boy. I was going strong tonight on just lining up the model... and then I hit the blades. I knew these would be work, but I didn't realize how much. All the extra detail is made possible by some pieces fit inside each other, so the pour type doesn't like it. But more than that.. it was just MESSY, as the pour stuff would slide up to the edge of the teeth where I was holding things.

I only got through one of the blades! I still have to do the second one, and that is the one that snapped when I first assembled the line so I have to be super careful not to break it again. I didn't take a picture post cleanup on the blade though, I'll be doing that when both are done.

C3lszUNh.jpg

GPL2YkUh.jpg

AeQ86T1h.jpg

l86Okfrh.jpg

gSsePqzh.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Finished the panel lining! This time I did one blade at a time so I wouldn't lose track of which one I was working on. I also did some touch up on the model's mouth.

I'm super happy with how this turned out. The dust on the model really did no favors to the panel lining, but now I have a really good blacklight flashlight that can help me see how much dust there is.

xqXquV8h.jpg

4r2HXJUh.jpg

Ezh2i1Xh.jpg

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Honestly Athenor, it looks like an entirely new model thanks to the panel lining! :biggrin:

My 1/144 Sinker is 95% finished (I still need to do the landing gear), but the pic in artificial light (the sun has already gone, so no natural daylight was available) makes the white background look yellowy/browny/beigey.

Anyhew, here are my 3 1/144 zoids, panel lined, on the 3 bases that were supplied in their boxes.
    lzr3y7oh14kh.jpg
    Better pictures under natural light should appear in one of the following days.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Woo! Finished my first robot guy. Only had to take him apart once cause I flipped his ass and front, and only stabbed my thumb hard enough to draw blood once too! I kinda gave up on cleaning the sprues with the exacto knife after the thumb incident. Figured I can just get better with that as I go.

Edit: I found a son for him, but he was only green so I tried "painting" him with some Gundam markers, I probably should have looked up how to do it properly, but he was cheap enough that it doesn't matter how much I beefed it.

vihswz2c3zuc.jpg
    Luigi is adopted

What do y'all recommend for painting? Like cleanup or holders or something. Should I paint while they're still on the sprues? Also how do I get it thicker? I waited for it to dry and tried applying multiple coats but it seemed like it was just scraping off the original coating. Should I like spray em down with priming?

Kanden on
    the box for this G40 straight up looks like a graphics card

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Don't use Gundam Markers to paint your models. Gundam markers are an oil based paint, and the oil thinner they use will reactivate any coats that you've put down, resulting in what you've described. You can repaint with acrylic, enamel, or lacquer paints. Enamels and Lacquers generally require good ventilation, while acrylics can be safely painted as-is. Priming is highly recommended before painting, as it gives a better surface for your paint to stick to.

For holders a lot of people buy a bag of alligator clips and glue them on skewers. You can also poster putty on the end of a skewer as well. If you are painting the entire piece then painting while on the sprue doesn't really work cause once you cut it off there will be the unpainted nub marks.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2020
    I have apparently done most of the things wrong with this sazabi build. I used the tamiya panel lining ink on naked plastic. then i just put the decals on before finding out about doing a gloss coat to give them something grittier to stick to.

so i think i want to do one thing right for all that this poor chonky boi has had to put up with from me and give it a nice final top coat. when i was at my game store for magic prerelease stuff this weekend it looked like they'd been wiped out on matte and gloss varnishes though so, i assume they'll be restocked soon or I can use a satin finish and not wait. I don't know how much of an overall difference it makes compared to a matte one though

initiatefailure on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Satin is the next best thing to matte. Gloss only if you're going for a sports car kind of look. That's my take, anyway.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I have apparently done most of the things wrong with this sazabi build. I used the tamiya panel lining ink on naked plastic. then i just put the decals on before finding out about doing a gloss coat to give them something grittier to stick to.

so i think i want to do one thing right for all that this poor chonky boi has had to put up with from me and give it a nice final top coat. when i was at my game store for magic prerelease stuff this weekend it looked like they'd been wiped out on matte and gloss varnishes though so, i assume they'll be restocked soon or I can use a satin finish and not wait. I don't know how much of an overall difference it makes compared to a matte one though

The panel line pens are fine for bare plastic. The paint pens are made for touchup or details, and not broad areas.

If you want to paint entire pieces with a chisel tip Gundam Marker GSI Creos does make an airbrush that was specifically designed for Gundam Markers but you are probably better off getting a real airbrush.

steam_sig.png
    Gunpla build club was great tonight! Lots of people were impressed seeing the Gojulas in person. I'm kinda mad at myself for not taking a close look at the Perfect Grade Zaku II that was being worked on, but I am sure I'll get another chance.

Only negative: A new dad and his daughter came by and were working on a MG Shen Long that she got as a Christmas gift. Unfortunately, one of the pieces for the head went flying, and we couldn't find it after 15-20 minutes of searching all over. It's one of the white crest pieces.. I think D1 8 we settled on. The dad's probably going to just buy a replacement part, but that's gonna be expensive and I felt really bad that no one could help them out.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is the Gunpla club a store thing or?

Brainleech wrote: »
    Is the Gunpla club a store thing or?

Store thing. :)

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Only negative: A new dad and his daughter came by and were working on a MG Shen Long that she got as a Christmas gift. Unfortunately, one of the pieces for the head went flying, and we couldn't find it after 15-20 minutes of searching all over. It's one of the white crest pieces.. I think D1 8 we settled on. The dad's probably going to just buy a replacement part, but that's gonna be expensive and I felt really bad that no one could help them out.
    Is there a way to get/buy official replacement sprues these days? A while ago - boy, over a decade now - I received a Perfect Grade PG RX-78-2 as a gift, and one sprue was missing but another sprue had a duplicate. I remember that I got the missing sprue in the mail, somehow, but I can't for the life of me remember how. I'm reasonably sure that I didn't just buy the sprue off of some shady dealer in an Internet alley; I'm fairly sure that I got it from an official source, but I can't remember if it was from Bandai directly, or from a store selling replacements, or what.

Bluefin can furnish replacement parts. Contact them, they have a process specifically for these cases.

Bluefin is the best option if you have time. 6-8 week turnaround time on replacement parts...

Anyone know what I can use to get sticker residue off a model without damaging the plastic?

Renzo wrote: »
    Anyone know what I can use to get sticker residue off a model without damaging the plastic?

Is there any paint? Something like Everclear or rubbing alcohol will probably work but will take any paint with it.

steam_sig.png
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Dish soap is probably enough.

No paint. I'll try dish soap first, see where that gets me. If I move to alcohol, I'll try it on a sprue or hidden spot first.

Thanks y'all.

Btw I'm asking because I saw the waterslides for the RG Sinanju at my hobby shop. I was never happy with the stickers on mine. So I'm going to pull them off, clean up, and apply the waterslides.

Alcohol doesn't harm plastic(the cheap stuff comes in plastic) and evaporates on its own so it is perfectly safe. Since you are adding waterslides on an old model you will want to wipe it down anyway to make sure it is dust free.

steam_sig.png
    Oh yeah, I have a few bottles of rubbing alcohol I use for paint clean up. And they're plastic bottles. Somehow that didn't occur to me. :/

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    oh hey the G40 short with subtitles is up on gundaminfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIZqZ0VoaOA

wouldn't mind getting one of those zakus as a kit

uc3ufTB.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    man amuro just can't catch a break huh

Nope. People show up just to laugh at him.

steam_sig.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yes. I would buy several of those Zakus

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Given that the Zakus got pretty much the same level of design detail as the Gundam, I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the way.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is that short supposed to be telling a story or is it just a series of random vignettes?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its iconic shots from the show done with the new design

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    It was redrawn scenes from Mobile Suit Gundam. Some of it was new takes on a scene but a lot of it was the motions as the original.

steam_sig.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    What is it with Tomino and putting future societies in turn of the century (19th/20th) clothing?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png