As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Maybe the [NFL] isn't so bad...

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I can't remember the context, but one of the sports radio guys around here said, disparagingly, "Jeter is the Eli Manning of baseball," and it stuck with me ever since.

It's the perfect kind of bullshit hot take because it can be interpreted at least 4 different ways and is guaranteed to piss off segments of two different fan bases, even if they take it as a compliment.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Quarterbacks are strangely doughy

Except for Brady Quinn that dude was ripped

What in the fuck are you talking about

https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/upload/c_fill,w_688,ar_3:4,f_auto,q_auto,g_auto/shape/cover/sport/jameis-winston-bae8e50849f7f16c09ff1ca1f04e9492.jpguiown16oic2u.jpeg

That is a body chiseled out of granite from stealing and eating 7 pounds of crab legs every day

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I can't remember the context, but one of the sports radio guys around here said, disparagingly, "Jeter is the Eli Manning of baseball," and it stuck with me ever since.

It's the perfect kind of bullshit hot take because it can be interpreted at least 4 different ways and is guaranteed to piss off segments of two different fan bases, even if they take it as a compliment.

What bitter market is this?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »

What bitter market is this?

Dallas because of course it is.

(He mentioned later that he was joking, but god if that wasn't the perfect Dallas sports radio take)

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

mcp wrote: »
    Quarterbacks are strangely doughy

Except for Brady Quinn that dude was ripped

When you get smeared into paste a few times, things happen.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Weightlifting/training for strength does not necessarily translate into chiseled bodies

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, my understanding was that being chiseled is more of a product of dehydrating to cheat boxing weigh-ins, or for models & pro-bodybuilders to show off the goods. Normal training is how you get Last Jedi's shirtless Kylo Ren.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Everything is awful. Every team is owned by a billionaire (whatever GB), and employs at least a couple of people that have done either questionable or even outright terrible shit.

But there's also lots of good people too, and I'll root for them. Mahomes seem pretty cool, and I'm sure most of the Chiefs players are too. Same goes for the 49ers, I know that a lot of those guys give back to their communities, and I'll cheer them on.

Everyone knows Hill and Bosa are trash, I don't want to waste my time on them.

And people like Katie Sowers, 9'ers coach and lgbqta+ activist, deserve support as well.

But at the same time, I can't fault anyone for stepping away from the sport because of the likes of guys like Hill and Bosa

I’m not saying people are wrong to step away from the sport, but if they’re stepping away because of people like Bosa and Hill and not because of people like Jerry Jones, they’re falling for the exact narrative the rich and powerful want them to fall for.

The Super bowl preview we deserve
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0DiFzPzkko

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Why are y'all body shaming

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Yeah, my understanding was that being chiseled is more of a product of dehydrating to cheat boxing weigh-ins, or for models & pro-bodybuilders to show off the goods. Normal training is how you get Last Jedi's shirtless Kylo Ren.

Visible definition comes from lower body fat percentage. Hollywood level definition comes from dehydration and steroids.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Why are y'all body shaming

QB shaming

These are all beautiful bodies

• the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Butters wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Visible definition comes from lower body fat percentage. Hollywood level definition comes from dehydration and steroids.

As far as athletes train for performance and not aesthetics, you generally only get that 'ripped' look when bodyfat significantly hinders performance. In football, this is generally limited to positions that require speed, power, and quickness: Secondary, linebacker, running back* and wide receiver*. In other roles, it's beneficial to carry fat to absorb impacts.

*Eddie Lacy and Kelvin Benjamin need not apply.

the wook on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Damn I never heard this story. In '09 the Giants beat the Cowboys in the first game at the new cowboys stadium and Eli signed the wall of the locker room.

zeix840r5awh.png

Pretty incredible, hah.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Antonio Brown turned himself in to police tonight after an arrest warrant was issued yesterday on a felony charge of burglary and battery

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Russ should ALWAYS be wearing ski goggles

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    That is exactly what the pro bowl should be and they should do it 3 times a year (replace two normal games with team-based dodgeball)

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    None of that is surprising.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Giants are retiring Eli's number

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

It isn't?!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Giants are retiring Eli's number

117?

Ringo wrote: »

It isn't?!

High level executives doing damage control for the catholic church in New Orleans?

No, not really.

It isn't?!

High level executives doing damage control for the catholic church in New Orleans?

No, not really.

It's kinda surprising given the high level execs are for a football team and not like the church

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

It isn't?!

No, not really.

It's kinda surprising given the high level execs are for a football team and not like the church

Power protects power

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

It isn't?!

No, not really.

Power protects power

This has still not happened on a major NFL team level publicly in court before to my knowledge. This is surprising

I have a hunch they have some endorsement relationships too

Like how Duke is close with the Church of Satan

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

This is offensive to the Church of Satan tbh.

I'm just never surprised when rich people help their rich people.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

This is offensive to the Church of Satan tbh.

Yeah the Church of Satan are adamantly anti-capitalism and anti-executives. They have a lot of pretty correct views, honestly.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

*Goddammit!*

*SIGH!!!!* Not again!!

-Roger Goodell.

*Fuck you!*

-Nawlins fans.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I'm just never surprised when rich people help their rich people.

Agreed,

I mean sure it can be surprising that this particular group of football people helped that particular group of religious leaders publicly, because you know of the saints as a football team in the business of football and the Catholic church in the business of religion.

But if the story is instead that rich ass billionaire Catholic (who happened to own a football team) used parts of one of their organizations to help cover up Catholic abuses in the same city as that organization, it doesn't really seem surprising at all.

Dirtyboy wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CNKar0dns
    Jarvis Landry really is too good at catching

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

I don't see how this could possibly go haywire...

This discussion has been closed.