As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying retro console hardware/software

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Those cartridges on cards looks great! I can't wait to put them on my walls.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Those cartridges on cards looks great! I can't wait to put them on my walls.

Same.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    My wife would love it if my "game room" was as clean as your Star Wars room.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    which is funny because approx 1 hour 30 minutes before that pic was taken it was an absolute mess... my entire house was. It's kind of shocking having people compliment how neat and tidy my stuff is tbh, I'm used to the exact opposite.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    which is funny because approx 1 hour 30 minutes before that pic was taken it was an absolute mess... my entire house was. It's kind of shocking having people compliment how neat and tidy my stuff is tbh, I'm used to the exact opposite.

I think most people's absolute mess is still much tidier than my absolute mess. But I now have nearly 2-3 months to clean it up and make it presentable. So we'll see!

What annoys me a bit is that I bought most of the 6" Anniversary SW figures to put on my wall since the packaging looked cool. Then they go and release the 3.75" ones which I also bought. Now I'm torn between the two being displayed on my wall.

Sorry to distract from the thread. I do have something to contribute to the thread. For some reason I always thought I had Final Lap Twin on my TG-16 and just assumed that my brother had it at his place. Come to find out that my brother borrowed it when we were growing up so we never had it. Fixed that hole in my collection with a really nice copy. Unfortunately the seller was a nugget and put it into a bubble mailer which squished the box a bit. Oh well, it fits with my actual gaming collection since we played the heck out of that system growing up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Everquest is a retro game, right?

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    any pre-world of warcraft MMO is about as retro as it comes, i'd say :lol:

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

I witnessed the assassination of Lord British, I is an MMO OG.

And the very first RPG I ever played was Ultima II on a Kaypro IV that I had to have a 5.25 floppy in before powering it on.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I witnessed the assassination of Lord British, I is an MMO OG.

And the very first RPG I ever played was Ultima II on a Kaypro IV that I had to have a 5.25 floppy in before powering it on.

Pah, Meridian 59 was already a thing when "Lord British" was whining about getting killed in his buggy game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Pffft, all these fancy graphics. Didn't have to worry about your dial up connection struggling to load those with a MUD!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Pffft, all these fancy graphics. Didn't have to worry about your dial up connection struggling to load those with a MUD!

I had a hell of a lot of fun with a particular MUD back in the day.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

But which server were you on!?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
      LD50 wrote: »

pr0n

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
      camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
      I was cleaning out my dads place yesterday, when I found a PS2 slim, about 8 games, and my old memory card.

Luckily I found all the cables, a controller, and the other memory card I had in storage at my apartment.

Now I have about 100 hours of backlogged games including the games on my Wii U, when I'm going to find time to play all that is another story.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

But which server were you on!?

Fennin Ro Forever.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Gemstone 3 was the whole reason I had a paid Prodigy account.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
      Shadowfire wrote: »

Gemstone 3 was the whole reason I had a paid Prodigy account.

MadMaze 4 Lyfe!

No matter where you go...there you are.
      ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    • Options
      ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
      My MUD website remains up for some reason. The MUD it applies to, that I built for, no longer exists, but the information is still relevant for the wave of copies that appeared when it died and the source code was released.

uyvfOQy.png
    • Options
      My blister pack and CE versions of Shadows of the Empire from Limited Run have shipped! Woohoo! And Metal Storm will be here Wednesday!

I really need an N64 bad now.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      My blister pack and CE versions of Shadows of the Empire from Limited Run have shipped! Woohoo! And Metal Storm will be here Wednesday!

Yeah all of my blister packs have shipped in various states of delivery. Can't wait to get them all just to drool over them!

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options

Yeah all of my blister packs have shipped in various states of delivery. Can't wait to get them all just to drool over them!

Podracer?

I havent gotten shipping on those yet.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options

Podracer?

I havent gotten shipping on those yet.

Yep everything. Just checked and my Racer(s), Bounty Hunter, and GB and NES Star Wars are supposed to be delivered today. The others are in transit.

Limited Run #290: Star Wars Racer Revenge (PS4)
      Star Wars Episode I: Racer (N64) Classic Edition
      Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (NES) Classic Edition
      Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (GB) Classic Edition
      Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64) Classic Edition
      Limited Run #273: Star Wars Bounty Hunter (PS4)
      Star Wars (GB) Classic Edition
      Star Wars (NES) Classic Edition

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options
      Well I got to open my orders today. I was happy that they shipped them in boxes, but sadly my N64 Racer card was dinged by an Episode 1 3.75" figure base they tossed into the box. Also my GB SW card got folded at the bottom since it was packaged with PS4 Bounty Hunter and the NES cartridge. Luckily the NES card is perfect. Not sure if I want to see if I can exchange them or just keep them. They did leave the piece of card in the hanging hole so they knew that people would want to keep them pristine as a collector.

But man are these cool!!! The clear blue is so neat.

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options
      edited February 2020
      Hmm both my Racers Revenge and Ep1 Podracer havent shipped yet... oh well I'm sure they will soon.

In other related news I am now fully prepped for their arrival, just need a Rumble Pak:

Edit: that sucks that your packaging was damaged. @Betsuni. I would contact them... who knows they might send you a replacement?. I was going to get special sleeves for them but LRG said they were including them anyway so I didn't buy them.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      Odd, mine didn't come with any sleeves. But I do see that they sell them.

Yeah going to contact them to see if they'll do an exchange.

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options
      JazzJazz Registered User regular
      @Handsome Costanza Nice. That N64 got an Expansion Pak in it?

• Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      Still one of the best versions of the game, too. :+1:

• Options
      RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
      I actually found my old Gameboy Color with Link's Awakening and Pokemon Crystal. I'm thinking about buying a few old gameboy color games from ebay just because.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      edited February 2020
      I kind of want to find a different Tetris cartridge because this one is pretty nice and I feel like it would be a shame. I need to find one with BOBBY sharpied across the front.

4BoqZf3.png

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
      edited February 2020
      are you willing to spend $6.95 including shipping because have i got the hyperlink for you

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tetris-Nintendo-Game-Boy-1989-Label-Damage/293435017863?epid=5036&hash=item4452170a87:g:-c8AAOSwz2BeJiKt

Dehumanized on
    • Options
      edited February 2020
      Jazz wrote: »

Sadly no, but I don't think I need it for SotE. I'm not sure about Podracer.

Oh guess what showed up you guys!

Also I bought Battle For Naboo for the N64 (an old blockbuster copy lol) to test out the N64 before the other Star Wars games arrive...and... some cleaning of the contacts with rubbing alcohol later.... success!

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options

Let me know what happens. I'm curious just in case I end up in the same position.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options

Let me know what happens. I'm curious just in case I end up in the same position.

Will do, I'll have to contact them tomorrow since I got busy today.

Till then, here are the photos of the remade retro cartridges.
      LRG_SWNES.jpg
      LRG_SWGB.jpg
      LRG_LR006.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options

IIRC, Racer doesn't need it but it does use it if it's there.

• Options

Dang. I'll go see if they have one for sale. I've gotta go up there today to pick up a rumble pak anyway.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options

I know I said I was going to contact them. But after looking them over and smoothing out the wrinkles (and the one bump) I figured that I'd leave the better edges for those who actually want to collect these things. For me it is more of nostalgia and to have them for display/play than having them "mint on perfect card". Sorry @Handsome Costanza , hope yours are good. Let me know when you do get your Racer in if you also got a Commtech chip from a Star Wars figure in your box.

oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options
      edited February 2020

I know I said I was going to contact them. But after looking them over and smoothing out the wrinkles (and the one bump) I figured that I'd leave the better edges for those who actually want to collect these things. For me it is more of nostalgia and to have them for display/play than having them "mint on perfect card". Sorry @Handsome Costanza , hope yours are good. Let me know when you do get your Racer in if you also got a Commtech chip from a Star Wars figure in your box.

No worries. I could never do that though. I'll literally sit there staring at a card for a good long while just to make sure it has minimal creases and dings.

Also I didn't know they we're doing random Commtech chips?! That retro store I went to has a commtech reader for $10 too!

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      edited February 2020

Dang. I'll go see if they have one for sale. I've gotta go up there today to pick up a rumble pak anyway.

Well, a rumble pak is definitely a necessity! But yeah, the expansion pak is worth having.

Especially if you dig into other N64 games. Perfect Dark requires it for single-player, for example.

Fake edit: I found a list.

Games that are enhanced but not required to play with expansion pak are:

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
      Gauntlet Legends
      Hybrid Heaven
      Pokémon Stadium 2
      Resident Evil 2
      Road Rash 64
      Shadow Man
      Star Wars: Episode I Racer
      Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil
      San Francisco Rush 2049
      South Park

Games that require the Expansion pak to play are:

Donkey Kong 64
      Single-Player Mode Of Perfect Dark
      Multiplayer Mode Of Starcraft 64
      The Legend Of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

So yeah, the discerning Star Wars collector is gonna need one :)

Jazz on