As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Steph is the Maynard Ferguson of long three point shooters

I'll allow this, only if Curry can bust out a double high-C in the ornamentation section of Chameleon.

I have a degree in hitting a double high-C (seriously, my degree is in jazz trumpet, focused more on “heavy metal” trumpeting)

The difficulty is doing it 7 times in a song at 916 decibels

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Steph is the Maynard Ferguson of long three point shooters

I'll allow this, only if Curry can bust out a double high-C in the ornamentation section of Chameleon.

I have a degree in hitting a double high-C (seriously, my degree is in jazz trumpet, focused more on “heavy metal” trumpeting)

The difficulty is doing it 7 times in a song at 916 decibels

You're a man after my dad's heart. He is a hell of the player himself.

Growing up I'd watch/hear him going note for note on Maynard, Al Hirt, and Gillespie. Triple tounging is pretty much his only major weakness, so he'd be a tad sloppy trying to keep up with the likes of Severinsen, Mendez, or Sandoval.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Also - this discussion is about his impact on the game, which is a different question than overall talent. Just like I think he is no question the most influential player of this generation, I think LeBron is no question the best player of the generation. (And he himself is probably #2 in the influence rankings, for reasons more to do with the power of individual players within a franchise and their ability to more directly control their own careers.)

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

I mean, the article you are quoting is mostly about Lillard. In fact it points out Lillard was taking more deep threes than Curry, before the Curry show really took off (2013-14). So I guess Lillard is really the one who changed the game.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    I think Lillard is told to stop doing that if Steph 2015 doesn’t happen, is the thing

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Reggie is commenting the Blazers game tonight and just said he wished he played now because of all the threes and very little D

20 threes in 15 game minutes 8-)

These refs need to go to a different era harrumph

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It’s always been David Stern who changed the game.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    what the

the Nets home court paint job make me think my TV is broken

So many threes.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I think Curry just exacerbated the general trend of more floor spacing and three point shooting. Of course he is not single handedly responsible for changing the game, but he is the poster boy for the change that happened.

Watched an interview with Shaq yesterday, where he said people started to drift away from the paint because of his physicality. That is why you have all those forwards and centers shooting jumpers instead of going into the post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mFqvJNwXVA

This was pretty interesting. And I agree. If you are a big man in the NBA, this is the best time to start dominating in the paint, because teams and defenses are so keyed in to perimeter defense and shooting.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The difference between Shaq and Steph is that you have no chance in hell of believing that you can do what Shaq did unless you, too, were 7' tall and 300+ lbs of freak athleticism. People might have gravitated away from the paint when they played against Shaq (something I'd say only happened when he faced mediocre competition), but when they weren't playing against him the other 95% of the time then they played normally. Shaq only changed the game when he was actually playing in it.

Steph looks like some guy who plays at the Y. He definitely has a leg up both in the nature and nurture departments, but he looks like a normal dude. And that makes him much more aspirational as a player. There is literally an entire generation of kids out there shooting 3's as soon as they can chuck a basketball, and that's going to drastically change how the game will be played over the long term.

The 3-point shot was more valuable than nearly every other shot since its inception, and yet it was never taken seriously as as thing until Steph started launching the ball from near half-court with 40% accuracy and forced everyone to recognize its value. People used to treat basketball as an inside-out game. Now it is very much an outside-in game. There are players now would've dominated 20 years ago at the C/PF who are now barely staying in the league because they can't shoot the 3 and aren't fast enough to switch or defend against it from the paint.

Jokic i think represents the evolution from Shaq-ball

Instead of using his giant size to bully his way to a 60% post attempt, he threatens it and moves the D around to account for the possibility, but then passes out to an 65% rim attempt for a team mate or a 40% 3 attempt

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It's a fallacy to say that all of these big men shooting threes will open an opportunity for someone to dominate in the paint. It just will not happen.

Shaq, at his peak, averaged 58% FG%.

To match 58% on 2s, you only need to shoot 38% on 3s.

There are 62 players in the league who are shooting that well or better this season.

In the 2000 season, only 13 players even shot above 50%, let alone 58%. To match 50%, you only have to shoot 33% from 3.

The idea that there's all this efficient scoring just waiting for a big man to step up and claim them in the paint is crazy.

Dhalphir on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Steph (and the rest of that first warriors title team) 'changed the game' in the sense that they were the acid test of an idea that lots of people probably had but few were capitalizing on

when the inevitable rule change to making 3s more difficult or less frequent happens the Curry Warriors will absolutely be exhibit A; the bad boy Pistons didn't invent hand checking, either

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    It's a fallacy to say that all of these big men shooting threes will open an opportunity for someone to dominate in the paint. It just will not happen.

There are 62 players in the league who are shooting that well or better this season.

In the 2000 season, only 13 players even shot above 50%, let alone 58%. To match 50%, you only have to shoot 33% from 3.

The idea that there's all this efficient scoring just waiting for a big man to step up and claim them in the paint is crazy.

Fouls and true shooting come into play here as well, but in general yeah, you only have to hit something like 33% of your 3-pointers to make it a shot worth taking.

Fouls and true shooting come into play here as well, but in general yeah, you only have to hit something like 33% of your 3-pointers to make it a shot worth taking.

It also makes your team streaky though. Variance is probably higher game to game for the tougher 3 pt shot, and the point loss for shooting worse is heavier. So you have games where you shoot better than your average and look unbeatable. And games where you shoot worse and look like idiots chucking bricks.

There’s something to be said for reliability. Which is why I think the warriors were better when KD was eating up potential long balls with his inside game, even if the analytics say they were less useful possessions.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    It also makes your team streaky though. Variance is probably higher game to game for the tougher 3 pt shot, and the point loss for shooting worse is heavier. So you have games where you shoot better than your average and look unbeatable. And games where you shoot worse and look like idiots chucking bricks.

There’s something to be said for reliability. Which is why I think the warriors were better when KD was eating up potential long balls with his inside game, even if the analytics say they were less useful possessions.

Which you solve by increasing your volume.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Which you solve by increasing your volume.

Well there is a volume limit. And NBA pace of play is pretty quick as it is. It can increase but not all that much realisticaly. Not over an entire season. And certainly not without impacting 3pt percentages.

Its also counterable as opponents can reduce pace of play to increase variance. (Something you should do against a team that is both better than you and also shoots more threes than you do)

wbBv3fj.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Kobeeeeeee
    :(

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Kobeeeeeee
    :(

Yeah, it just hit my newsfeed. Helo crash just outside LA with 4 others on board.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I wasn't a fan but he was a hell of a player and didn't deserve this. He'll be missed .

He just tweeted 10 hours ago, just so weird.

He just watched Lebron pass him on the all time scoring list

Last night in Philly

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Damn. Just like that.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Not Kobe!!

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    This is unbelievable...doesnt seem real.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited January 2020
    TelMarine wrote: »
    This is unbelievable...doesnt seem real.

Thus far 2020 is just shit.

I wasn't a fan of the man off the court, but no matter my personal feelings towards Kobe, this turn of events sucks balls for his family and the families of the other 4 people that died.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I'm not a Lakers fan but I want to see them win the title now.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Wow... Just wow. I have no other words right now.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Completely unbelievable. Just stunned, wow.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    My sister was supposed to be in a children's show he was producing. We are both devastated.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    TMZ is now reporting that his daughter, Gianna, was also killed in the crash.

Holy shit

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Holy shit

Also apparently Rick Fox

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »

Holy shit

Also apparently Rick Fox

This is confirmed fake news.

edited January 2020
    We're barely 3 weeks into it, but I'm ready to declare from the mountaintops "FUCK 2020!!!"

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Holy shit

I hope that's not true. Didn't he just have a daughter recently as well?

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Not that he wasnt going to be without a shadow of a doubt a first ballot inductee, he's also eligible for Hof this year too

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited January 2020
    RickRude wrote: »

Holy shit

Yeah, last summer. Gigi (the 13 year old) is a star in the amateur and prep school circuits.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Might not be possible, but they should cancel the games for tonight.

RickRude wrote: »

Holy shit

Yeah, last summer. Gigi (the 13 year old) is a star in the amateur and prep school circuits.

Apparently they were on their way to one of her practices.

Damn, damn, damn.