As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Maybe I'll finally buy Indivisible instead then...

Indivisible is coming on Xbox Game pass if you happen to have that...

Oh yeah? I wonder if my pc can run it ok. Probably, I'd hope.
    Stilts wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Maybe I'll finally buy Indivisible instead then...

Yeah, at this point?

I'm absolutely infuriated.

I might as well have set that $30 on fire. I finally got past Xenmas only to get totally blocked by Luxord and Terranort. I'm never gonna finish these atrocious boss battles, so I'm gonna have to watch the cutscene on Youtube. And if I'm already going to have to do that? Well shit, why'd I'd even spend my money on this garbage anyway?

Yeah, I'm not actually very good at KH combat.

I like messing around with bonus bosses when they're optional, and I get them eventually (beat most of the extra fights in KH2FM, other than like 5 Org.13 refights) But if they're mandatory to progress it's just going to annoy me.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    So if I play through the game regularly, the ending is going to be the same and not have any of the new content actually woven into the game?

The new stuff is only available in its sectioned off place at the title menu?

I get having a "jump to new stuff" button so people who don't want to have to play the entire game again to get to it don't have to, but did they really not patch all of this stuff into the main game?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I am very interested to see how this goes! Hopefully I get to play this weekend.

I was definitely in the boat that my biggest issue with the game was wishing it was more difficult. So hopefully these end up being what I was looking for.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    does Square Enix DLC ever go on sale?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Lanz wrote: »
    does Square Enix DLC ever go on sale?

Yeah actually it does all the time.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Viskod wrote: »
    So if I play through the game regularly, the ending is going to be the same and not have any of the new content actually woven into the game?

The new stuff is only available in its sectioned off place at the title menu?

I get having a "jump to new stuff" button so people who don't want to have to play the entire game again to get to it don't have to, but did they really not patch all of this stuff into the main game?

As spoiler-free of a response that I can give
    the new stuff starts at the end of the game, and then rewinds to the beginning of the final fight.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Simple & Clean
    Anyway, i spent most of last night grinding out the ultima weapon, got everything but the emblems and the flans, but then I saw someone recommending you be at least level 80 for the limitcuts, threw my hands up, and YouTube'd the secret episode

They really sold a bill of goods with this thing.
    It was like, MGSV levels of "use absolutely every new piece of video and audio to imply that there's more story content than there actually is"

Speed Racer on
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Yeah that tracks. I didn't even bother trying to seriously fight the Data Organization in Kingdom Hearts 2 until I was Level 99.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Having just watched the new stuff, I'm happy I didn't buy this thing

The new stuff seems fine, but not worth all the hassle or $30

Simple & Clean
    More dlc spoilers
    I saw a bunch of people say that the re:mind stuff is about 4 hours long, but like, that's if you count all the shit they make you replay

If you're just counting the new stuff (limitcuts aside) it's like, an hour. maybe 90 minutes? 30 bucks for 90 minutes of content, most which honestly just kind of bloats the pacing of the ending and answers questions that I didn't have, and then an ultra hard boss rush that's only even attemptable if you're double the level you need to be to beat the game

Anyway, Crosscode is currently available on steam for $20, it's a fantastic indie action rpg with a surprising amount of depth and breadth, I'm 15 hours into it and still seemingly really early into the story

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I should go back to the data org.

I beat Saïx, Vexen, Larxene, Lexaeus, and I think Marluxia. I was hopping about between Luxord, Demyx, and Axel, trying to find the next one I could beat.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I beat one of them by spamming reflect then never tried to fight any of them again

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Haven't gotten to the uber fights yet but man I've been having fun so far.

Coming back just reminded me again how incredibly much fun this combat is. Legit the #1 most fun game I had played all last year and it feels so nice to get a chance to play again. The biggest problem was the difficulty before so I'm still looking forward to the hard fights.

Always so surprised that there are like no other games that scratch this particular itch or have this particular play style.

Just glad to have a reason to experience this again.

Simple & Clean
    I'm finishing my Critical playthrough to get Oblivion and man, Toy Story and Monsters Inc were such surprisingly good levels that didn't just re-hash their movie and tied in really well with the non-Disney parts of the story.

But Tangled and Frozen are such outright trash.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I'm finishing my Critical playthrough to get Oblivion and man, Toy Story and Monsters Inc were such surprisingly good levels that didn't just re-hash their movie and tied in really well with the non-Disney parts of the story.

I love how both worlds found a reason to incapacitate or busy Sora at every conceivable moment he could have been a part of the plot.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Slowly working my way through the limit cut battles. I've got 5(?) left of the original batch of 11. I'm glad I spent the time last year leveling to 99 and getting Ultima weapon though.

Is there any way to get back to the limitcut stuff without going through the remind stuff again?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    “My job here is done.”
    “But you didn’t do anything”

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

Ya it's pretty clear how Pixar was cool about SE using their properties to tell original stories where OG Disney was very much "This is what the stories are and this is what the characters do. Stay in your lane."

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Simple & Clean
    The Caribbean does the same thing as Tangled and Frozen regarding just dropping in and out of the movie plot as it moves on without you, but I have to give it credit for how you can just say "fuck it" to that and the world gives you a giant pirate playground to go have fun in instead.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    The Caribbean does the same thing as Tangled and Frozen regarding just dropping in and out of the movie plot as it moves on without you, but I have to give it credit for how you can just say "fuck it" to that and the world gives you a giant pirate playground to go have fun in instead.

Imagine if KH 1 had opened with the crew building the hyperion/Excalibur raft and instead of the gummy ship we had the ship game play from the pirates world and instead of Disney worlds we had islands?

Sanctuary

Wow.

Monsters Inc I thought was the absolute worst of the worlds.

Tangled was near the top and Frozen, while the story was weak, the world itself was really cool.

Sanctuary
    Tangled was the closest a Disney world story got to being good, since they did use its already existing plot to set up some stuff that paid off later in the main game (in a very broad, general way)

Monsters Inc ends with
    Sully yeeting Vanitas through a bunch of Monster Inc doors and then shredding the door, what's not to love

Simple & Clean

Wow.

Monsters Inc I thought was the absolute worst of the worlds.

Tangled was near the top and Frozen, while the story was weak, the world itself was really cool.

3e6wnc7qbb9d.png

Sanctuary
    Tangled was the closest a Disney world story got to being good, since they did use its already existing plot to set up some stuff that paid off later in the main game (in a very broad, general way)

Monsters Inc ends with
    Sully yeeting Vanitas through a bunch of Monster Inc doors and then shredding the door, what's not to love

Mostly it was visually the least impressive world. I found it incredibly bland, incredibly same-y. It had absolutely zero wow factor at any point. Felt much more like a series of hallways than any of the others.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I'll probably start a critical mode playthrough, but I'm definitely holding off on the DLC for when it goes on sale

Simple & Clean

Monsters Inc ends with

Mostly it was visually the least impressive world. I found it incredibly bland, incredibly same-y. It had absolutely zero wow factor at any point. Felt much more like a series of hallways than any of the others.

That's what I enjoyed about it.

It was so different.

Being stuck inside a very normal looking office building/energy plant juxtaposed with a people who are literal fantasy monsters. I enjoyed the premise of working your way through the building trying to escape.

Also how it was just about the perfect setting for Ventus and the Unversed.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I....had completely forgotten there WAS a Monsters, Inc world in KH3.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Sanctuary
    Man.

Not allowing you to change the difficulty on a DLC where you change the balance entirely is a big mistake.

It's a shame because these fights would actually be really fun on Normal.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Sanctuary
    I have to say that one thing that continues to annoy me is KH's heavy use of invulnerability frames to make bosses difficult.

Getting smacked cause I thought I could smack them and my attack just not working for some reason is very annoying.

It boils a lot of fights down to trial and error.

Dragkonias on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Simple & Clean
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I have to say that one thing that continues to annoy me is KH's heavy use of invulnerability frames to make bosses difficult.

Getting smacked cause I thought I could smack them and my attack just not working for some reason is very annoying.

It boils a lot of fights down to trial and error.

Yeah, it’s extremely unclear when you actually have the ability to do damage to these bosses, especially since most of them can also just keep constantly attacking without any clear “good job on surviving that combo, here’s a counterattack opportunity” moment. Xemnas is ESPECIALLY bad about it. For, like, 80% of the time you’re fighting him you literally cannot damage him.

Meanwhile, Saix is one of the few fights that DOES have obvious tells.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Still thinking about how much we all got suckered by Remind

They has set expectations properly at “this is a remixed third act with a bunch of boss fights” and then fooled everyone with that last trailer that made it seem way bigger by using the ol’ “use a little bit of literally everything, even if that’s all there is” trick

6F32U1X.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The Kingdom Hearts bundles are out for XB1: 49.99 for the 1.5/2.5 bundle and 59.99 for the 2.8 bundle. KH3's also coming to Game Pass on the 25th.

edited February 2020
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Still thinking about how much we all got suckered by Remind

They has set expectations properly at “this is a remixed third act with a bunch of boss fights” and then fooled everyone with that last trailer that made it seem way bigger by using the ol’ “use a little bit of literally everything, even if that’s all there is” trick

The only part that I was disappointed by was the inability to change the difficulty for the DLC.

The actual content seemed perfectly fine.

Woulda been awesome if I could've played in on Normal difficulty.

DemonStacey on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was thinking more 'oh wow KH spin-off with a name that's not utter madness, haven't had one of those in a while.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I was thinking more 'oh wow KH spin-off with a name that's not utter madness, haven't had one of those in a while.'

Sanctuary
    I think Birth By Sleep is a genuinely good subtitle

Simple & Clean
    chain of memories and coded are also both pretty straightforward

Sanctuary
    It’s really just 358/2 Days, and just the “/2” part

If it was called “358 Days” it’d be easy

6F32U1X.png